Confirmed with Link: Avs Recall Stefan Elliott

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
The team traded Shattenkirk and Liles believing at least one of these two would be a worthy successor. I don't think they'll give up on them so easily. Any team in contention would want a vet roster player like an O Brien or O Byrne for the playoffs. Perhaps they'll be moved.

Does anyone else think Obi Wan Kenobi would've been a terrible roommate or RA if they were in college with him?

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Everyone knew on here that Barrie was the more polished defender defensively. He had the hockey IQ to know where to be and what play to make. But no one was fooled that his strength was going to hold him back. If we're lucky he can take that hockey IQ and demonstrate his offensive talents in the NHL to the degree that allows him to be a Dan Boyle-lite.

But I still maintain Elliott has the higher potential and is the more effective offensive talent. Once he gets his legs under him and some confidence I think he will put up some serious numbers. His wrist shot is quite probably the best this team has had since Sakic. What we've never been disillusioned with is that he defensively is very raw and not confident enough physically to assert himself with his size.

Two very similar yet very different prospects, each with a lot of potential (underrated around the league) and a good future in the NHL. We just need to be patient as fans and hope they pan out, I'd argue a new coach is required to let that happen. I'm also very hopeful Siemens can bring the ying to their yang and solidify the defensive responsibilities of those guys.

sounds about like my thoughts as well. Elliot i've always seen as the offensive guy who will be ok on defense. Barrie i've always thought would be the defensive guy who plays a all around game well and maybe ends up as a guy we fans always assume will be capable of more but never fully reaches expectations on O.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Everyone knew on here that Barrie was the more polished defender defensively. He had the hockey IQ to know where to be and what play to make. But no one was fooled that his strength was going to hold him back. If we're lucky he can take that hockey IQ and demonstrate his offensive talents in the NHL to the degree that allows him to be a Dan Boyle-lite.

But I still maintain Elliott has the higher potential and is the more effective offensive talent. Once he gets his legs under him and some confidence I think he will put up some serious numbers. His wrist shot is quite probably the best this team has had since Sakic. What we've never been disillusioned with is that he defensively is very raw and not confident enough physically to assert himself with his size.

Two very similar yet very different prospects, each with a lot of potential (underrated around the league) and a good future in the NHL. We just need to be patient as fans and hope they pan out, I'd argue a new coach is required to let that happen. I'm also very hopeful Siemens can bring the ying to their yang and solidify the defensive responsibilities of those guys.

Barrie's hockey sense>Elliots wrist shot. Barrie is already playing at a high level. He's making quick decisions with the puck, good passes, not hesitating on defence and quarterbacking the PP well.

I never watched Elliot in junior hockey or the AHL, so I'll reserve judgement for him. From what I saw last year, I wasn't very impressed. He needs to be more assertive, and hopefully he gets that going soon.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
He's talented by very raw. I think he's still a year away, but in this era players turn the corner quickly. All it takes is some confidence.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Barrie's hockey sense>Elliots wrist shot. Barrie is already playing at a high level. He's making quick decisions with the puck, good passes, not hesitating on defence and quarterbacking the PP well.

I never watched Elliot in junior hockey or the AHL, so I'll reserve judgement for him. From what I saw last year, I wasn't very impressed. He needs to be more assertive, and hopefully he gets that going soon.

The same criticism you make of Elliott (assertiveness) is the biggest criticism I have had about Barrie until the past few games. It would seem the combination of being our #1 dman, playing with Hejda and getting lots of PP time has helped his confidence.

But I still maintain Barrie holds back way too much and hesitates to make the creative play offensively out of fear for messing up and it hurts his game.

In comparison, Elliott was very assertive last year and dominated offensively.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
The same criticism you make of Elliott (assertiveness) is the biggest criticism I have had about Barrie until the past few games. It would seem the combination of being our #1 dman, playing with Hejda and getting lots of PP time has helped his confidence.

But I still maintain Barrie holds back way too much and hesitates to make the creative play offensively out of fear for messing up and it hurts his game.

In comparison, Elliott was very assertive last year and dominated offensively.

I don't remember this at all. Not saying your wrong, but what I remember is him turning the puck over alot when rushing the puck. The only time he was effective was with his wrist shot, and the end to end rushes. Hopefully he gets past his nervousness and gains some composure.

Barrie has been playing great lately, and I'm sure we might see more offensive creativity in the future. For now though, I'm extremely happy with his poise and puck movement. He's great at walking the line and dishing the puck. He's been making great pinches and looks very composed.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Elliott was pretty awesome his first handful of games until he started getting really pushed around more and more until he got shellshocked. But that first, I wanna say 5 or 6 games, he was awesome. Explosive with the puck and his wrister and was being aggressive.

hattrick3518

Jan 31, 2011
B-Ham
And you were expecting more from a kid freshly recovered from a serious knee injury suddenly pulled from the AHL into the NHL before he was ready?

It's not like he's been killing it in the AHL, would like to see other players worked into the line-up, i.e. Gaunce...

But hey, what do I know. Elliott may be our best chance at this point.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It's not like he's been killing it in the AHL, would like to see other players worked into the line-up, i.e. Gaunce...

But hey, what do I know. Elliott may be our best chance at this point.

Sacco: "With those two guys in the lineup, it's pretty obvious: We're trying to generate some more offense from our back end. We're looking for a couple guys to help move the puck up to our forwards,"

I think it's less about Avs being sold on Elliott being ready and more about the role he plays.

Unaffiliated

Aug 26, 2010
Richmond, B.C.
Main thing I remember from Elliott last year was beauty snipes from the point.

I think he beat Brodeur clean for his first goal?

edit: nvm, it was his second goal.

but still:

Best wrister on the team?

avsfan89

Sep 25, 2011
Main thing I remember from Elliott last year was beauty snipes from the point.

I think he beat Brodeur clean for his first goal?

edit: nvm, it was his second goal.

but still:

Best wrister on the team?

If Elliot becomes that good again from last year and improves upon it in conjunction with Barrie's own development. Colorado's defense would be just fine in the future:

(dman from ROR trade) - EJ
Hejda - Barrie
Elliot - Siemens

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad