Confirmed with Link: Avs re-sign Pavel Francouz (one-year, $950K)

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
I'd really like to see him become the next priority in January after talking extension with Makar.

Reactions: flyfysher

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I'd really like to see him become the next priority in January after talking extension with Makar.

Initially Bruins fans were posting about it being a good thing that Grubauer went out last night and Francouz was coming in. They didn't understand he's a very good goalie. Thanks Gigantor!

Reactions: MacBradley

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Initially Bruins fans were posting about it being a good thing that Grubauer went out last night and Francouz was coming in. They didn't understand he's a very good goalie. Thanks Gigantor!

Yeah, i have complete faith in Francouz taking the reigns for a bit, if Grubauer is out. As long as it’s not a super long time.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Dude has a .932 career save percentage in the NHL.

Albeit only 13 games so far, the ability is quite clear and you never get the impression watching him that he’s getting lucky or just “hot” on the night.

I’m not sure how much longer we are going to be able to keep this gem a secret when he’s consistently the highlight of the night.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Keep this up an he should be the starting goaltender in the playoffs. Grubauer is solid as well but there is no need to play favorites at this point.

Reactions: MacBradley

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
The nice part about having both Grubi and Frank is that you can roll with the hot player. This maybe become clearer depending on what the prognosis of Grubauer after the Boston game.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Careful what you wish for. Not any news on Grubauer yet. But if we are forced to ride Frankie for a while now, he might price himself out of this city. Remind me, we are not allowed to sign him untill after Jan 1st right?

That's fine by me, it means he's winning games and playing well. As much as I like him, not sure he's necessarily worth a long-term investment. There are still some worrisome flaws to his game.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Frank's rebound control is pretty poor, but he anticipates very well and is athletic enough to cover that up for now. I think that will be an adjustment that coaches start making now that he has some games under his belt. Whether or not it can be exploited is a question.

The team has done a fantastic job of clearing those rebounds out in front. In a way, having it ping off of him is a good thing as they've used it to break out of the zone. They stack two guys high in the slot now, something they didn't do last year, and that rebound almost acts as an outlet pass. But, I feel like that'll end up being a bit of an issue, reminiscent of Brian Elliott in St. Louis and Philly. He'd put up really solid numbers in the regular season and get lit up in the playoffs. For now though, he's a perfectly capable backup, which a certain team in Canada would kill for right now.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Frank's rebound control is pretty poor, but he anticipates very well and is athletic enough to cover that up for now. I think that will be an adjustment that coaches start making now that he has some games under his belt. Whether or not it can be exploited is a question.
Rebound control is probably the single hardest aspect for any single goaler to learn or have skill of (besides of course athleticism). I think the weakest area for Francouz for me is his positioning, he tends to overplay one side too much. It might be because he's weaker and tries to overcompensate, but I suggest he gets a bit lost in the action focuses too much on the puck making him lose a bit of the crease angles (we saw this against the Flames).

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
If they think he is better than Grub do they sign him long term and trade Grub?

Or do they just let frank walk and hold steady with grub?

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
If they think he is better than Grub do they sign him long term and trade Grub?

Or do they just let frank walk and hold steady with grub?

Unless Frank has an insane season.. You sign him to a reasonable deal, and then maybe lose him or Grub to Seattle.

Reactions: McMetal

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
What about the expension draft? Seattle can get Francouz cant they?

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
What about the expension draft? Seattle can get Francouz cant they?

If I’m Sakic, I’m giving Seattle a 1st round pick to take whoever I want them to take.

If the Avs trade their 1st at the deadline then you trade them your 2021 1st.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
If I’m Sakic, I’m giving Seattle a 1st round pick to take whoever I want them to take.

If the Avs trade their 1st at the deadline then you trade them your 2021 1st.
If Avs didn't have Grubauer I wouldn't mind doing that, but even with Francouz playing so well, he's still the back up goalie for the Avs, and I'm not sure about giving up a 1st for a back up. Eventually if Francouz proves to be a starter in the NHL, Avs will have a decision to make, keeping Gru or Francouz

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
If Avs didn't have Grubauer I wouldn't mind doing that, but even with Francouz playing so well, he's still the back up goalie for the Avs, and I'm not sure about giving up a 1st for a back up. Eventually if Francouz proves to be a starter in the NHL, Avs will have a decision to make, keeping Gru or Francouz

It’s more so, not losing a valuable player. Like Zadorov, Francouz, or whoever Seattle wants to target.

But, I can understand your reservations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad