Confirmed with Link: Avs re-sign Pavel Francouz (one-year, $950K)

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I don't remember that one at all, but I've never made it through all of Seinfeld in one go. It's always been in chunks, over time, until the humor started to grate on me. It's why I've never gotten into the Larry David show. But it is great in proper doses :laugh:

I'm pretty much exactly the same way. There is still a lot of episodes I've never seen. I got my wife into curb your enthusiasm for pretty much that purpose though. Seeing someone younger discover that show is f***ing priceless. The wife was 6 years younger than me. So it was just enough to be completely different HS eras.

Last edited:

Avs425

Colorado MacKinnon
Jun 3, 2014
Saskatchewan
giphy.gif

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Youngblood29

Jul 3, 2018
Why took older goalie for ”third spot”?

Usually they are ”Not going anywhere”, they have already reach the roof in their skills, there is no upswing.

I would rather take another, hungry ”young goalie” to fight in the AHL
Goalies sees now that you can get to NHL from our AHL team.

Of course it will be a risk.
Gruuuu has never been #1 goalie
Francouz has 0 experience

But we can always make a trade in the deadline if we are making into playoffs.. trade like 3rd or 4th rounder for a another goalie.

At least now, when we are using so little $ for goalies, I am really waiting to see some action to make our rest of the roster way better !

#GoAvsGo

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Maybe so but he still offered Varly a contract extension.

I believe Varly will be gone though because rumors are about that Bobovskry is looking for big money so likely the same for Varly

I feel like it's important for someone to point out that this didn't happen.

xbestboybandever

Jun 24, 2015
I hope Francouz is up to the task. I thought he looked more than capable in his few appearances. Hopefully Bednar doesn't decide to play Grubauer all 82 games.

Forceberg

Mar 9, 2012
Frank will be our starter by January 2020

Could be even earlier. I think for Grubauer the regular season is too long. He needs a backup who plays as good as him.
Francouz could be the guy when healthy. And he can definitely help Kaut.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Looking at the list of free agents, potential goaltenders to sign for the AHL team:

- Chad Johnson
- Michael Hutchinson
- Al Montoya
- Calvin Pickard
- Anthony Stolarz
- Mike McKenna
- ANDREW HAMMOND

All would be good options I think.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I would love to grab Sateri as a 3rd string goalie, but realistically I think we go with a more experienced vet like Hammond.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
I feel like it's important for someone to point out that this didn't happen.

Apparently it did, they talked about it during the playoffs a few times. Varly turned it down.

Now Joe says he earned his right to test the market and to come back see him with his offers.

You are acting like Joe is tossing Varly to the wind. The onus is on Varly , if he wants to stay at the Avs offer or chase the money.

Last edited:

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Apparently it did, they talked about it during the playoffs a few times. Varly turned it down.

Now Joe says he earned his right to test the market and to come back see him with his offers.

You are acting like Joe is tossing Varly to the wind. The onus is on Varly , if he wants to stay at the Avs offer or chase the money.

I'd be curious to hear/see that audio/footage. I haven't heard or seen that anywhere.

He said they talked and they'd be in communication with Varly July 1 (meaning they haven't entirely closed the door but he's exploring FA).

I'm not acting like anything. I haven't read, heard, or seen from any reputable source that the Avs offered Varly anything. If you can show me otherwise I'm happy to change my tune.

Reactions: LTC Pain

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI

He's gone. There was never a contract offer.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto

How often players return to their team after testing the market? Not often. He is gone dude.

Varly is done here. He did well and I'm happy we had Varly for all those years but this is the perfect time to let him go.

Reactions: Avs_19

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
I'd be curious to hear/see that audio/footage. I haven't heard or seen that anywhere.

He said they talked and they'd be in communication with Varly July 1 (meaning they haven't entirely closed the door but he's exploring FA).

I'm not acting like anything. I haven't read, heard, or seen from any reputable source that the Avs offered Varly anything. If you can show me otherwise I'm happy to change my tune.

You're talking to an insider, remember? He Knows.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Looking at the list of free agents, potential goaltenders to sign for the AHL team:

- Chad Johnson
- Michael Hutchinson
- Al Montoya
- Calvin Pickard
- Anthony Stolarz
- Mike McKenna
- ANDREW HAMMOND

A whole lotta meh. I'd really only be fine with McKenna/Stolarz out of this group. McKenna because he knows what he is as a veteran. He knows his job at this stage is help out the young guy in net and provide stable goaltending. Stolarz has always felt like he's been on the edge between making the NHL and being confined to AHLer for life. It hasn't been an easy road with the injuries but at least he has some sort of potential whereas the rest are who they are at this point.

Personally I'd like to the Avs aim for another goalie from Europe or a NCAA goalie that's Lyon/McIntyre/Petersen level. I'd rather ride with the chance a young-ish, unproven, non-retread would provide a better chance at getting hot than Hutchinson/Johnson/Picks/etc. Plus there's the obvious advantage of not being waiver eligible. I get the need for stop gaps but lets have stop gaps be Plan D rather than Plan A.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm

- Chad Johnson
- Michael Hutchinson
- Al Montoya
- Calvin Pickard
- Anthony Stolarz
- Mike McKenna
- ANDREW HAMMOND

I think this is the category that should be targeted. Not another project or gamble, those are always exciting but I'd want a safer bet a number three. Someone that can play 10 NHL games if we need him and can split time with Werner for the Eagles. (Perhaps even be a mentor)

ljb4

Feb 10, 2016
westminster Co
MY hope is a trade with Florida, #13 and Reimer for #16. Reimer could be the AHL vet and NHL insurance. Moving up to #13 gives the Avs a better chance of catching a fall top 10 player like Boldy or Krebs. Maybe wait until draft day to see who is available at #13.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
So happy to see this signing. Frankie deserves it. There is no way he would have signed without getting the backup job.

Reactions: LTC Pain

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad