Confirmed with Link: Avs re-sign Pavel Francouz (one-year, $950K)

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Picks an option for Eagles or are we looking for someone more vet-y?

Purely my opinion, but I do think Pickard could be an option for the Eagles. My understanding is that he's still quite liked by the organization, and he's the type of goalie the Avs need to get for the Eagles--someone who can step up to the NHL in case of injuries, but can also be the lead-dog in the AHL.

Reactions: Barklez

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Can't believe he is coming back for another year after all the broken promises.

Great news!

Reactions: Barklez

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Excellent news...I’m guessing they promised him the backup spot

It's not impossible but his salary makes me wonder about that. This looks more like "making NHL money in the AHL" kind of salary it seems.

Only one backup who started the season in the NHL made under 1M last year and it was Niemi (and he was old, behind Price and no one else wanted him).

NHL Rankings

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I was a Pickard apologist once upon a time but it'd be tough to trust him in the NHL if something goes wrong with Grubauer/Francouz. He has been brutal.
He'd be perfect I think.

If you go for a number three goalie you are never getting a sure thing. Plus he would probably push Francouz in camp.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Amazing. Too bad we couldn’t get an extra year or two but let’s not be honest here, Frankie is soon to be 29 year old goaltender who has paid his dues beyond belief. His goal is to become an NHL starting goaltender. There was no way he was signing for anymore than one year unless the money was just stupid.

Frankie will spend this season backing up, hope to show his value and earn himself a Talbot/Grubauer type deal from a team who will take a flyer on him as a starter.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
This should help if the Avs do want to be aggressive this off-season. If we can get some of the depth positions locked up before FA starts and with some sort of discount it would be awesome.

Yep, now we just need a few more things for the perfect off-season. Panarin signing, somehow drafting Kakko, signing Barrie for 7M/yr for 5 years, trading for Kadri and Kessel, Kerfoot becomes an astronaut, and of course last but not least Radulov gets bought out and signs in Colorado for league minimum.

If Sakic can pull off that Duchene trade. Then nothing on that list should be unrealistic.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
It's not impossible but his salary makes me wonder about that. This looks more like "making NHL money in the AHL" kind of salary it seems

I think he could have gotten more cash if he wanted it. My interpretation is he took a bit of a discount to get an NHL shot.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Wonder if a vet who is clearly passed it would come here to be a depth option and maybe a semi-coach for the Eagles? A guy like Cam Ward? Would have said McElhinney cause he’s even older than Ward but he should parlay his season with the Canes into one more bulletproof backup gig. Or maybe a guy like Eddie Lack who can ease fellow Swede Werner into NA game?

Otherwise I’d be fine with Picks. Or a guy like Stolarz or Hutchinson would be fine as third string options who may be willing to accept an AHL assignment.

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
Great news.

Grubauer has earned the chance to be our #1 after the late season and playoff run. I think Francouz can be a quality backup.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
Based on his interview with Eurolanche, I don't think he would've re-signed unless they told him he'd be the NHL back-up.
Well Joe has said he will hear back from Varly July 1 so I don't think anyone told him he's guaranteed the backup role . Probably a good chance though since Varl already declined Joe's offer already

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
950k AAV, very nice.

Honestly this is what I believe people should have been predicting. He gets a raise, and it's a 1-way deal and he'll be in the NHL next year. But 1M was probably the tops because he had all but 2 games of NHL experience. He proves well he's a UFA at the end of it and will cash in then.
Meh last year was a 1 way as well , It all depends on what Varly wants to do

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Well Joe has said he will hear back from Varly July 1 so I don't think anyone told him he's guaranteed the backup role . Probably a good chance though since Varl already declined Joe's offer already

I think Sakic was just trying to be nice and respectful publicly when leaving the door open for a Varly return. He's gone.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yep, now we just need a few more things for the perfect off-season. Panarin signing, somehow drafting Kakko, signing Barrie for 7M/yr for 5 years, trading for Kadri and Kessel, Kerfoot becomes an astronaut, and of course last but not least Radulov gets bought out and signs in Colorado for league minimum.

If Sakic can pull off that Duchene trade. Then nothing on that list should be unrealistic.
I+think+you+might+be+onto+something+_61d547749e808077eaaae71b7d4983af.gif

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
I think Sakic was just trying to be nice and respectful publicly when leaving the door open for a Varly return. He's gone.
Maybe so but he still offered Varly a contract extension.

I believe Varly will be gone though because rumors are about that Bobovskry is looking for big money so likely the same for Varly

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I love this move for so many reasons! The fact that we'll be saving almost 5mil on goaltenders next year should allow us to make some even better moves up front.

I'm also very excited to see Franc in regular action! I hope its a 30/52 split for Grubs next year

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

I used to love that show until one time they aired an episode where dude became obsessed with eating sub sandwiches in the middle of sex. I'll never forgive them for that episode. I couldn't eat a f***ing sandwich for like a year without thinking about that f***ing shit.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I used to love that show until one time they aired an episode where dude became obsessed with eating sub sandwiches in the middle of sex. I'll never forgive them for that episode. I couldn't eat a ****ing sandwich for like a year without thinking about that ****ing ****.

I don't remember that one at all, but I've never made it through all of Seinfeld in one go. It's always been in chunks, over time, until the humor started to grate on me. It's why I've never gotten into the Larry David show. But it is great in proper doses :laugh:

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->