Confirmed with Link: Avs re-sign Jost

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
He’s turned it around so far this season.

He's got a little bit more speed/explosiveness and doesn't lose every single puck battle like he did before. He's a useful player now but can you keep a 3C long term with those kinds of offensive stats? Donskoi bailed out that line offensively lately but it won't last.

I don't know why he can't find any offense in his game. He doesn't have hands of stone like Nuke and was producing well offensively at lower levels. Maybe it will come later? Or maybe not and he'll have to eventually move back to the 4th line.

Reactions: McMetal

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
He's got a little bit more speed/explosiveness and doesn't lose every single puck battle like he did before. He's a useful player now but can you keep a 3C long term with those kinds of offensive stats? Donskoi bailed out that line offensively lately but it won't last.

I don't know why he can't find any offense in his game. He doesn't have hands of stone like Nuke and was producing well offensively at lower levels. Maybe it will come later? Or maybe not and will have to move back to the 4th line enventually.

He and Nuke have done the most to constantly improve their games. Compher should emulate their game and effort.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I dunno the exact game that Nuke - Jost - Donny line was formed, but his last 10 games have been pretty decent enough production wise. 2G and 3A

Ya. I don't think we can count the stats where he was on the 4th line and only did his job of grinding. I do think he's noticeably gotten better this season in almost every way. A smart gm would sign him while his numbers are bad. If Francis was smart he'd take him if he was left unprotected

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
If Francis was smart he'd take him if he was left unprotected

If Francis plays his cards correctly he'll pick Jost in the expansion draft and then make a trade for Donskoi or Graves.

Since salaries will be very hard to move, chances are Sakic will have to pay him something to take Donskoi or Graves (JTC would probably be way too expensive to move).

So Francis might very well end up with Jost + Graves + pick from the Avs. That'd be quite a haul for him and the Avs would get what they want (getting rid of a contract).

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I dunno the exact game that Nuke - Jost - Donny line was formed, but his last 10 games have been pretty decent enough production wise. 2G and 3A
The stats that that line have put up since they’ve been formed have been incredible. Seriously outplaying the competition.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
If Francis plays his cards correctly he'll pick Jost in the expansion draft and then make a trade for Donskoi or Graves.

Since salaries will be very hard to move, chances are Sakic will have to pay him something to take Donskoi or Graves (JTC would probably be way too expensive to move).

So Francis might very well end up with Jost + Graves + pick from the Avs. That'd be quite a haul for him and the Avs would get what they want (getting rid of a contract).

Nah. I'm keeping donskoi. Jtc can be bought out if necessary. Francis isn't gonna do us what Vegas did to Minny and get two good assets.

Reactions: Mordoch

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Seattle shouldn't have an option for Jost, unless something goes wrong for the Avs between now and then.

EJ waives or gets bought out, Avs protection list goes as follows:

Landy
Mack
Mikko
Naz
Bura
Nuke
Jost

Cale
Girard
Toews

Essentially forces Seattle into taking on some salary from us whether that's Graves, Compher, or Donskoi. Unless they really go off the board and take MacDonald which tbh I wouldn't be upset about anyways.

I still maintain the best play to make in all of this, is protect those same guys and send Seattle a pick or prospect or whatever attachment to get them to take Compher in that group.

I think Graves and Donskoi have positive value right now. Not a lot, but probably a mid-late pick for Donskoi, maybe a 3rd for Graves.

BoxOfChocolates

Mar 7, 2010
^Yep that's the list as far as I'm concerned. Obviously would prefer to keep Donskoi over Jost, but we need a big ticket salary to get taken. (plus an EJ buyout wouldn't hurt either)

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
LeBrun already confirmed that the price to "not pick a certain player" (ie: pick your 2nd choice) is a 1st and a prospect.

If you ask Seattle to take a cap dump for 2 more years like Compher it's gonna cost more than just a 1st and a prospect. It's not worth it.

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
Seattle shouldn't have an option for Jost, unless something goes wrong for the Avs between now and then.

EJ waives or gets bought out, Avs protection list goes as follows:

Landy
Mack
Mikko
Naz
Bura
Nuke
Jost

Cale
Girard
Toews

Essentially forces Seattle into taking on some salary from us whether that's Graves, Compher, or Donskoi. Unless they really go off the board and take MacDonald which tbh I wouldn't be upset about anyways.

I still maintain the best play to make in all of this, is protect those same guys and send Seattle a pick or prospect or whatever attachment to get them to take Compher in that group.

I think Graves and Donskoi have positive value right now. Not a lot, but probably a mid-late pick for Donskoi, maybe a 3rd for Graves.

Yup I think this will be the list too. I think Jost could go somewhere else for a bit of a fresh start but him becoming a really strong defensive player for the 4th line or if he can find a bit of offense on a cheap contract would be nice since they won't need to pay someone calvert/PEB money to play on the 4th line.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
LeBrun already confirmed that the price to "not pick a certain player" (ie: pick your 2nd choice) is a 1st and a prospect.

If you ask Seattle to take a cap dump for 2 more years like Compher it's gonna cost more than just a 1st and a prospect. It's not worth it.

No, I read the article and he didn't say that at all.

The price right now is a 1st and a prospect. He even said teams believe that price will come down the closer we get to the expansion draft.

There's nothing set in stone at all about this.

Belgican

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
There is no need to pay Seattle anything, let them chose their pick.

And there is no hurry to unload Compher or anyone else now, not to say Seattle is not the only team you can trade some player during the summer.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I’d be willing to give up a draft pick to protect Burakovsky if the Avs go 4-4-1, but it seems like it’s going to be 7-3-1 so I’d just let Seattle take whoever they want.

Last edited:
Reactions: G Backup

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I’d be willing to give up a draft pick to protect Burakovsky if the Avs go 4-4-1, but it seems like it’s going to be 7-3-1 so I’d just let Seattle take whoever they want.

I think we need Seattle to take some of our cap space is more so my issue here. We're kind of banking on them taking one of our 3.xM guys to free up space to sign our more important guys.

If they dont do that, and instead opt for a guy like LOC or MacDonald instead, we could be up shit creek. Hopefully they see enough value in Graves or Donskoi to just take one of them outright.

Graves would be the ideal one for them to take. His roster spot is already replaceable pretty much with Byram. Donskoi would be a little tougher to replace because as we are seeing both last year and this year, he can provide some pretty solid secondary scoring in that middle 6 especially when he is feeling it.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
I see no way Francis picks Burakovsky. Upcoming UFA, inflated production playing on a contender, looking to cash in.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I think we need Seattle to take some of our cap space is more so my issue here. We're kind of banking on them taking one of our 3.xM guys to free up space to sign our more important guys.

If they dont do that, and instead opt for a guy like LOC or MacDonald instead, we could be up shit creek. Hopefully they see enough value in Graves or Donskoi to just take one of them outright.

Graves would be the ideal one for them to take. His roster spot is already replaceable pretty much with Byram. Donskoi would be a little tougher to replace because as we are seeing both last year and this year, he can provide some pretty solid secondary scoring in that middle 6 especially when he is feeling it.

They should be ok if they find a way out of EJ’s contract, or even just part of it.

I don’t think they’ll consider LOC. As much as I like him as a player, I don’t see him as having the same value as the other guys.

It’ll be Donskoi, Graves, or MacDonald imo. Donskoi/Graves contracts aren’t going to be an issue for Seattle.

In regards to cap space, keep in mind the Avs have 3 rookies on ELC’s pushing for spots next year, which will help. Newhook, Kaut, and Bowers could all play for the Avs.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
That’s a joke right ? And do we have to protect Saad too ? And Belly ? And Calvert ? Come on !

No, because the Avs aren't going to re-sign any of those guys.

If the Avs dont protect Landeskog, then proceed to sign him as a free agent after the ED is over, you can count on the Avs being punished for curving the rules. Guaranteed.

Reactions: McMetal

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

:facepalm:
Or take that option away from him and protect Jost and Nuke.

Suppose Jost crashes back to Earth, AT WORST you’ve got a guy capable of playing on the 4th line making around $1M and non long term commitment.

You save a player a player and a pick in your scenario by just protecting Jost.

Just do this: protect MacKinnon, Landeskog, Rantanen, Jost, Nuke then use the remaining two slots on two of Kadri, Burakovsky, Donskoi, or LOC. The other slots: Makar, Girard, Toews and Grubauer.

This leaves Francis with these options:
  1. Take Graves
  2. If available take Donskoi
  3. If available take Bura or Kadri in a lame duck year in hopes of reupping them or flipping them
  4. Punt and take LOC OR MacDonald

5. In all these scenarios Francis gets NOTHING extra from the Avalanche

Reactions: Nihiliste

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad