Confirmed with Link: Avs re-sign Jost

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
After resigning Toews, Avs should still have about 2 mill cap space left which is good considering Sakic upgraded the top 6 forward group and top 4 blue line

We'll need a 13th forward and a 7th D (LOC and Timmins, probably).

Toews: 4M
LOC: 725k
Timmins: 925k

Total: 5.65M
Roster size: 22/23
Cap space left: 270k :eek2:

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think the Avalanche know EJ will be on LTIR for a while.

Sakic said he's anticipating everyone will be healthy by the start of the season.

As far as we know, EJ didn't require surgery either, so maybe it was just an MCL that could have healed on its own.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
We'll need a 13th forward and a 7th D (LOC and Timmins, probably).

Toews: 4M
LOC: 725k
Timmins: 925k

Total: 5.65M
Roster size: 22/23
Cap space left: 270k :eek2:

They don't need a 13th forward. They've played with fire a fair amount in the past going with a shortened roster, and that was when they had a bad team, with their affiliate in another state.

And they aren't guaranteed to keep guys like Compher and Cole.

If LOC stays in the AHL and they trade Cole at 50% and replace him with Gilbert as the 7D, that $270k in cap space turns into $2.195M.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Sakic said he's anticipating everyone will be healthy by the start of the season.

As far as we know, EJ didn't require surgery either, so maybe it was just an MCL that could have healed on its own.
And you are taking the Avalanche at their word.

For all we know EJ is dead and the Avs are pulling a Weekend at Bernie's.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Dater wrote an interesting article on Jost today:

I think Jost can make himself more essential to Jared Bednar by focusing more on his play away from the puck. Become a great defensive player. Be something of a shutdown guy who can pester a team’s top centers/wingers. Let’s face it, Compher still has a long way to go in that department. If Jost works hard enough, he can take Compher’s third-line center job still. I don’t think J.T. had a good playoff at all, and he’s going to have to answer for that in the coach’s mind come next season too.

Jost’s puck-possession numbers are good. They’ve always been pretty good. He’s reliably in the 55% or so range in Corsi at even strength. He showed more promise as a PK guy at times in the postseason, even though the Stars really dominated play in that department at times. They dominated less so, though, when Jost was out there.
Jost should focus all his attention on becoming good at faceoffs and PK'ing. He doesn't even need to be great at faceoffs, but if he can get to at least 45% on faceoffs (instead of ~33%) that would make a big difference. Defensively strong players who can win draws and PK well will always be useful in this league.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
They don't need a 13th forward. They've played with fire a fair amount in the past going with a shortened roster, and that was when they had a bad team, with their affiliate in another state.

If LOC stays in the AHL and they trade Cole at 50% and replace him with Gilbert as the 7D, that $270k in cap space turns into $2.195M.

I think LOC is playing another year in the minors since he's waiver exempt and also has a two way deal. We probably want Timmins and Gilbert to develop another year in the minors as well with big minutes; so I can see us getting a veteran Dman as 7th D on a slight better than minimum salary to be the insurance guy.

Reactions: MaKarter

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

I see you factoring in Compher and/or Cole trades all the time in your projected cap, but I don't know why.

If they were 100% on the way out I could understand it, but at this point they're on the team. No reason to think of hypotheticals in terms of moving them when talking about potential cap space.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006

Cole might require a 3rd rounder attached to him to move. Even at 50%.

Then at the deadline Sakic will have to find another depth defender to fill in that slot. Since they probably don't want to have to rely on Timmins Byram and EJ all at the same time.

It seems expensive to save some cap space.

Reactions: Balthazar

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Not moving Cole unless we get a better dman back.

Graves, Makar, Timmins, Byram, Gilbert... no cup contender coach would be comfortable with that much inexperience on the blue line.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Shame he still didn't earn enough for new dentures. Avs really aren't paying him enough.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
EJ's shorts remind me of this guy

upload_2020-10-20_19-48-53.png

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I see you factoring in Compher and/or Cole trades all the time in your projected cap, but I don't know why.

If they were 100% on the way out I could understand it, but at this point they're on the team. No reason to think of hypotheticals in terms of moving them when talking about potential cap space.

Replied in the FA thread.

Last edited:

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
Averaging over a minute more ice time than last season and still not producing at all. He's playing well defensively but that's about it. 1 points in 8 games. 5 shots on goal in 8 games; yikes.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Averaging over a minute more ice time than last season and still not producing at all. He's playing well defensively but that's about it. 1 points in 8 games. 5 shots on goal in 8 games; yikes.
Avs are 3rd in the league in PK% at over 90%, having currently killed 14 penalties in a row, and Jost is a big part of that.

His metrics are also really good for a 4th liner:
  • 54.5 CF%
  • 53.1 FF%
  • 45.8% on faceoffs
  • 6 takeaways (2nd on the team behind only Makar)
  • 0 giveaways
  • 55.3 DZ start %
Personally I don't care if he scores or not as long as he keeps playing as well as he is on the PK and keeps things locked down defensively at 5v5. This team has enough firepower to outscore other teams as long as our bottom 6 can keep the puck out of the net.

Last edited:

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
Avs are 3rd in the league in PK% at over 90%, having killed currently killed 14 penalties in a row, and Jost is a big part of that.

His metrics are also really good for a 4th liner:
  • 54.5 CF%
  • 53.1 FF%
  • 45.8% on faceoffs
  • 6 takeaways (2nd on the team behind only Makar)
  • 0 giveaways
  • 55.3 DZ start %
Personally I don't care if he scores or not as long as he keeps playing as well as he is on the PK and keeps things locked down defensively at 5v5. This team has enough firepower to outscore other teams as long as our bottom 6 can keep the puck out of the net.

Jost can carve out a nice career if he focuses on the defensive side of his game.

And if he keeps working hard the points will come. He has been great the last few games.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
A good player Jost can, should, and I think is modeling his game after is PEB. Not the most skilled or physically dominant player, but a hard worker that plays intelligent hockey and takes a lot of tough minutes.

Reactions: klozge

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad