Confirmed with Link: Avs re-sign Jost

crue7

Jul 30, 2011
Mississauga, Ontario
Makes him good trade bait. I think Jost knows he won’t get much of a shot on this roster.

If he stays, I still can’t be mad with that dollar amount.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I feel for the guy, he’s earned more than that but he’s in a tough spot without much leverage. Maybe things are more in his favor next year.

I mean...I really don't. He's not performed well enough to be worth more in this market. There are good UFAs still unsigned, and several players equal to or more impactful than Jost will probably just get PTOs or be left unsigned...I mean, if Nieto can only get 700,000. Now that's a guy I feel badly for. I forget which agent said it, but this is the one year it's better to be an RFA than a UFA.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I think cost certainty on a low 2 year deal would have been more enticing as a trade chip but they can only do so much. Also he will be unsigned going into the XD so he does not count toward the exposure requirement of one of the two signed forwards tho I’m sure they’ll have plenty others to choose from. Just it’s easier to get rid of him as a more known cost quantity.

Reactions: Patagonia

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I mean...I really don't. He's not performed well enough to be worth more in this market. There are good UFAs still unsigned, and several players equal to or more impactful than Jost will probably just get PTOs or be left unsigned...I mean, if Nieto can only get 700,000. Now that's a guy I feel badly for. I forget which agent said it, but this is the one year it's better to be an RFA than a UFA.
He has over 200 GP, that usually brings a certain echelon or pay. Anders Bjork got 1.6 x3 for 34 points in 108 GP over 3 years (.31 ppg) and Jost has 74 points in 208 GP (.34 ppg).

Reactions: Goulet17

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I think cost certainty on a low 2 year deal would have been more enticing as a trade chip but they can only do so much. Also he will be unsigned going into the XD so he does not count toward the exposure requirement of one of the two signed forwards tho I’m sure they’ll have plenty others to choose from. Just it’s easier to get rid of him as a more known cost quantity.
Good point about the XD requirement.

To add to that, Jost being an RFA at the Expansion Draft makes it slightly less appealing for Seattle to select him if he's exposed, given that they're only allowed to select a maximum of 10 RFA's (i.e. 10 players without contract in 2021/22), and there will likely be at least 10 better RFA's than him to choose.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Nice. I’m thinking he had a 2 year 1.1 - 1.4ish offer on the table but is choosing TJ babk on himself for a year at his QO and try to earn some dough in a year.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Makes him good trade bait. I think Jost knows he won’t get much of a shot on this roster.

If he stays, I still can’t be mad with that dollar amount.

The only way trading Jost makes sense is if it's a sweetener to a bigger piece moving out. Trade bait would imply that he has the value to bring in something good on his own, which he doesn't have. There's no point trading him for picks because you aren't getting an early round selection in exchange for him and Jost is already the calibre of player that you'd hope to get out of a 4th-rounder or later, so you're just resetting the clock in the hope that maybe a late-round pick turns into anything other than an AHLer. Unless if people think we can get a change of scenery trade to happen and somehow end up with another Graves (which many have already turned on the guy).

He's a good depth player who is playing for a team where staying healthy is a huge issue. The less we have to rely on AHL call-ups the better. We have nothing to lose by holding onto him.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
3.4 mill if you put Kaut, O'Connor, and one of Timmins/Gilbert on the team to make it a 23 man roster.
Does anyone really think we're going to go with a 23 man roster? Colorado Eagles are only 30 minutes away so there really isn't much point in carrying 3 extra salaries. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if they go down to a 21 man roster for homestands just to squeeze out some capsaving's from not having an extra ~$800k for a 22nd player on the roster.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Does anyone really think we're going to go with a 23 man roster? Colorado Eagles are only 30 minutes away so there really isn't much point in carrying 3 extra salaries. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if they go down to a 21 man roster for homestands just to squeeze out some capsaving's from not having an extra ~$800k for a 22nd player on the roster.

I've just been assuming they'll go with a 21 man roster. They'll probably go with an extra D man, and then risk having to play with 11 forwards due to a late injury. They should have time to call up a forward in most cases though.

In return they can keep guys off the NHL cap, and bank some cap space for callups and a deadline deal.

Jost is worth more than this IMO. He's a legit NHL forward, despite the hate he gets. As TV said though this is a rough market and Sakic is going to use all his leverage every time to get the best deal for the team.

Reactions: MarkT and Richard88

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
This is a great move by Sakic. Jost has zero leverage, and has a lot to prove. He also might only get 30-40 games to do it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad