Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Unless, the + is Hopkins this would be a terrible trade for the jets.

*shrug* Both are 'all tools no toolbox'. If that + is a 1st and a minor piece, then it's not that bad for Winnipeg...since they're rebuilding for the next few years and their hands seems to be being forced.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
*shrug* Both are 'all tools no toolbox'. If that + is a 1st and a minor piece, then it's not that bad for Winnipeg...since they're rebuilding for the next few years and their hands seems to be being forced.

Trouba has a toolbox in hand while Nurse is looking for it in the garbage bin. Nurse will end up being a bottom pairing dman who fights. He's teetering around being as useless as Siemiens.

If that's all it took, I'd be pissed.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
If Trouba had no toolbox he'd be Jack Johnson. He most definitely is not that.

You know I put together a roster where we traded Tyson for Drouin, and Bigras+ for Trouba, and I made it work salary wise for all teams involved. It took getting rid of a Gelinas/Mitchell contract and taking money back from Tampa, but I was able to make it work lol.

However Roy is no longer part of this franchise. ;)

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

it's not forced like it wasn't with tampa and drouin. russians have more leverage since there is actually a chance they'll go to KHL. drouin and trouba didn't and won't present that threat. so trouba will cave sooner than the jets do.

He'll be a #4 defensemen for the majority of his career imo. He's got the mobility and physicality to be better than a bottom-pairing defensemen.

jonathan ericsson managed to be that for about 3 seasons or so and he's less of a physical beast and with weaker mobility than nurse. so i agree, nurse has chance to be that.

but i'd expect a lot more from top 7 pick.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
He'll be a #4 defensemen for the majority of his career imo. He's got the mobility and physicality to be better than a bottom-pairing defensemen.

Physicality =/= being a good defender. These are nice physical attributes but he has rocks for brains. We'll see if he becomes anything noteworthy but he wouldn't be the first top prospect who had all the tools but couldn't get it together.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
jonathan ericsson managed to be that for about 3 seasons or so and he's less of a physical beast and with weaker mobility than nurse. so i agree, nurse has chance to be that.

but i'd expect a lot more from top 7 pick.

As would I, and it makes it even worse for them that Ristolainen was taken with the very next pick.

But I think Nurse will be useful in Edmonton. He just can't be relied upon to anchor the D, which he won't given Larsson, Klefbom, and Sekera are there.

Even though I'm not a huge fan of Kris Russell's game, I'd argue there are things Nurse can learn from Russell in order to become a mainstay NHL defensemen.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
What happened with Nurse? He was a solid player at the WJCs and I thought he was pretty highly touted..

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
What happened with Nurse? He was a solid player at the WJCs and I thought he was pretty highly touted..

Honestly, they rushed him this last season IMO. Yeah he seemed to have earned a spot, but pretty quickly hit a wall.

With their defense, it wasn't exactly going to be that hard for him to earn a spot either.

Nurse is kind of like Z in that hes raw, and has a lot of physical tools. Look at how Z is viewed, and how we handled him post Buffalo, and what he looks like now?

I don't think Nurse is ready to think the game at a top four level, but he was thrown into the fire last season. Of course he is going to look dumb and late on plays at times.

It's like people have completely forgotten that defenders don't hit their strides until much later than forwards. These guys like Ekblad, Jones, Risto, Trouba (all still raw) are the exceptions not the rule when it comes to being able to handle top four minutes before even turning 23.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
He was probably drafted in a fair spot but the out of control hype machine in the years that followed didn't do him many favors.

Absolutely true, but anything with some potential gets that when Edmonton is involved. Then throw in the fact that to the media, he was probably considered their best D prospect on a team that is/was anemic in that area.

Toronto and Edmonton are almost on the same level for me when it comes to that crap. The ghost of Gretzky will never die in Edmonton.

You get frustrated with our fan base living in the past, can you imagine with Edmonton and Montreal? lmao

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
That's a lot different. It's been more time and they don't have one specific set of players they act like are going to walk around the corner any moment. It would be like them obsessing over Gretzky's hands in a charity event, they don't do things like that.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
4. Who’s in on Jacob Trouba? As best as I can tell, the list includes Arizona, Buffalo, Boston, Colorado, Detroit and the Rangers. This is purely a guess, but I could see Dallas and Tampa lurking. No idea how the Lightning could do it but Stars GM Jim Nill is always looking to upgrade his blue line. I’d thought Montreal but a couple of sources doubted it. Florida was trying before the draft but its moves afterward likely eliminate the possibility. The asks have been high. It wouldn’t surprise me, for example, if the Jets asked Buffalo for Rasmus Ristolainen, a right-hand shot who has played the left side. Apparently, some of those teams have been told they don’t have enough, which has led to them trying to involve third parties.

6. As for the third party, Anaheim could be a facilitator. When the Ducks sent down Brandon Montour and Shea Theodore, you couldn’t help but wonder if that meant new contracts for Hampus Lindholm and Rickard Rakell. Sounds like Rakell is much closer than Lindholm, but that doesn’t mean anything is imminent. Whatever the case, teams are curious to see what moves the Ducks will make to protect themselves in the expansion draft. Few teams have as many difficult decisions. Anaheim really respected how well Cam Fowler played as they floundered last fall but the club is worried about losing him in the expansion draft or as a free agent (he’s got two more years). The Ducks don’t need to add defencemen and the expectation is they trade one for a forward. Could Fowler help someone land Trouba? Left-hand shot (which the Jets want) but not a ton of term.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-goalie-equipment-changes-tangled-debate/

I still don't see how it could work for us if EJ isn't getting moved out but we keep getting tossed in there as an interested party.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-goalie-equipment-changes-tangled-debate/

I still don't see how it could work for us if EJ isn't getting moved out but we keep getting tossed in there as an interested party.

I think the only way it works is if hes willing to sign closer to 4M, like a bridge deal.

We'd have to send out at least someone like Gelinas/Tyutin/Mitchell as well.

The way I made it work the other day on Capfriendly was by sending out Gelinas (1.5M).

I did one where I traded Barrie for Drouin and Garrison (pretty much a straight swap salary wise), and Bigras + for Trouba, and I was able to make it all fit with Trouba at 4M (similar to Barrie's bridge deal).

Fantasy land, but I was curious if something like that was even remotely possible with our salary situation.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I think the only way it works is if hes willing to sign closer to 4M, like a bridge deal.

We'd have to send out at least someone like Gelinas/Tyutin/Mitchell as well.

The way I made it work the other day on Capfriendly was by sending out Gelinas (1.5M).

I did one where I traded Barrie for Drouin and Garrison (pretty much a straight swap salary wise), and Bigras + for Trouba, and I was able to make it all fit with Trouba at 4M (similar to Barrie's bridge deal).

Fantasy land, but I was curious if something like that was even remotely possible with our salary situation.

Just too much going on there. You just perfectly laid out why it doesn't seem like it can work. :laugh:

IMO, we get worse in a Barrie for Trouba swap. I'd also say there's no chance Trouba is signing a bridge deal.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I think EJ is maybe on the table.

It certainly sounds like RH Depth is actually a significant factor for Trouba. So I cant see it working with the Avs unless we're looking to move EJ or Barrie in the deal. Either that or one of those guys is moving to the Left side.

I wouldn't hate it if we traded EJ. As a fan EJ is a beauty of a teammate and an awesome guy all around, someone you dont want to see traded. But from a Hockey stand point I think it could make some sense for us, Trouba is younger and fits the age of the core more. He also has more potential still to become a Dman better then what EJ is for us.

Also wouldn't be surprised if it's a deal around Bigras + Futures or something of the like. We would have to be sending back salary for sure as well. But maybe the Avs think a D core of EJ, Barrie, Zadorov, and Trouba is better then one with Bigras instead of Trouba.

Personally, I hope they dont end up being the ones to pull the trigger on a trade. While I dont think Trouba gets anywhere close to what Jets fans think he will get, I still dont want to be giving up a big piece like EJ, or a good young prospect like Bigras or one of the young forwards.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Clearly it's not an issue of dollars for Trouba but I think this RHD thing is a smokescreen for wanting to get the hell out of Winnipeg. Nobody can be that stubborn to demand a side to play on well before the season starts. I mean how much of a big deal is it, to start on the left and down the road get switched over when a spot opens up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad