Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Trade Barrie or EJ for a top forward then. McDonagh is good value, good enough to maybe pull the trigger but you have to replace Duchene and not with some second-rate UFA.

Even if we get a good defender back for Duchene, if we go into next season with a Duchene-sized hole in the forward group, we are screwed offensively. It won't have made us more "well-rounded"...our offense was barely better than our defense last year. It'll make us a sad sack offensive team that struggles to score goals, period.

BoxOfChocolates

Mar 7, 2010
Trade Barrie or EJ for a top forward then. McDonagh is good value, good enough to maybe pull the trigger but you have to replace Duchene and not with some second-rate UFA.

Even if we get a good defender back for Duchene, if we go into next season with a Duchene-sized hole in the forward group, we are screwed offensively. It won't have made us more "well-rounded"...our offense was barely better than our defense last year. It'll make us a sad sack offensive team that struggles to score goals, period.

I think we're already screwed offensively next year, I can't imagine how bad it'll be without Duchene.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Somehow, the Avs defense is questionable next season, relying on two 21 year olds to step up, and our offence is weak and has pathetic depth. And the team will be near the cap. It's not a pretty picture. The team just needs to get through next season and build for 2017/18. I really hope Sakic sees the same thing.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

The question is, what do we gain from flipping Duchene for a top D and then a top D for a Duchene replacement? I mean, it makes sense if you want to blow up the core just for the sake of it, but I don't see any benefit from that roster-wise.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
The question is, what do we gain from flipping Duchene for a top D and then a top D for a Duchene replacement? I mean, it makes sense if you want to blow up the core just for the sake of it, but I don't see any benefit from that roster-wise.

Oh I think it is rather pointless but there is still a narrative, rightly or wrongly, that Duchene is the guy out if there is still a shakedown...I think some of it is residual from his 30 goal "celebration" and the rest comes from all of us being too bored and reading way too much into every little reference (or non-reference) that GM Joe makes.

But that just cannot be the only domino if it were to be an option. Maybe, maybe if we could have afforded Radulov - then you have leeway. But that isn't going to happen - I think we've all come to terms rather quickly here with just how poor our cap situation is for next season. I think the long-term outlook is better if we make it past next year but that's why I now agree with those who are preaching a year of patience and development and stepping back to grow organizational depth.

If we can make it out of the 16-17 season with our core in a good frame of mind and progress from our younger players...I think after the expansion draft and after we shed some dead-weight - we could be setup nicely to get really good in 17-18. And who knows...I still think there is a chance we could be surprisingly good this season if we let our young guys have some leash, much like we were in 13/14. We are just a downtrodden fanbase...we expect our top young stars to under perform and we expect our top prospects to either make little impact or not be allowed to make any impact. But at some point - I do think some things will start to come together...I think we have a talented nucleus, I think we have a bunch of talented prospects on the cusp of doing good things and I think our GM and Head Coach will learn and adapt. I hope anyways!

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Why? Mackinnon hasn't proved anything yet.

This is how I feel about MacK. He shows flashes, but I have yet to see a stretch of consistent high end hockey that he is capable of. Besides potential, what else has he done to earn a lucrative contract? I have no problem signing him to what Landeskog or Duchene make, but anything more is overpayment for what he has shown so far.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Somehow, the Avs defense is questionable next season, relying on two 21 year olds to step up, and our offence is weak and has pathetic depth. And the team will be near the cap. It's not a pretty picture. The team just needs to get through next season and build for 2017/18. I really hope Sakic sees the same thing.

A down season won't bother me so much, as long as they are doing the correct things organizationally. The past two seasons have driven me nuts, because they did so many dumb things: Berra, Stuart, Holden, Guenin, Iginla, Stastny, Boedker, AHL players galore, etc.

So, if they continue this offseason's "doing the correct things" (goodbye Holden, Berra, Stuart) by playing through the growing pains of Zadorov and Bigras (and perhaps even Rantanen and Pickard also), I'm going to be OK with it, even if the team isn't a playoff team. Because IMO, it's necessary.

Bottom line, playing Zadorov/Bigras/Gelinas all season is going to cost the Avs some games. But it has to be done.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I know they are going to do something unexpected on Friday, I'm not buying that suddenly they are just going to roll with all the kids.

I agree with you wholeheartedly.

What are you thinking?

I feel the same way but the only reason I feel that way is because if they weren't planning on spending to the cap I'd expect a Mackinnon/Barrie long term deal to be done already. With Iggy and Stuart coming off the books next year we don't have to worry about cap space until a few years down the road.

Why would you risk having to increase the salaries of guys like Mack/Barrie by 2 million or so each after a bridge deal when you can easily fit them in now? I think there's money going to be tossed somewhere.

I think Barrie+ could be on the table for an upgrade. I'm not convinced the Avs want to pay what it's going to cost to keep him long-term. Also, even though all the trade talk has died down, I'm still watching the Subban clock to July 1st. We're going to find out if the Habs really want to keep or will move him out for 'less' than what everyone is anticipating.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
The Avs next season have the potential to absolutely shock everyone with a crazy good season like Dallas this year, or they have the potential to be picking in the Top 5.

Relying on two 21 year old Dmen in Bigras/Zads and another young Dman who has played very little with the Avs to this point(Gelinas) is a huge gamble. It could pay off it spades if Bigs and Zads handle the increased responsibility well and actually outperform expectations and more then replace Holden.

But, if they struggle, with the Defense is we have already being fairly average then the Avs are gonna struggle a tonne.

Not to mention that we'll also have 19 Year old rookie Rantanen in our Top 6, and a lot of pressure on Mack to break out and actually be the player we need him to be.

I still think we've got something planned for the Defense next year, but if not next season could turn out to be a disaster or a massive success.

Either way, I strongly doubt you see us picking in the #10 spot again. It'll either be in the 15-25 range, or we'll be in the bottom 5 and with a chance at a Top 3 pick.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
The Avs next season have the potential to absolutely shock everyone with a crazy good season like Dallas this year, or they have the potential to be picking in the Top 5.

Relying on two 21 year old Dmen in Bigras/Zads and another young Dman who has played very little with the Avs to this point(Gelinas) is a huge gamble. It could pay off it spades if Bigs and Zads handle the increased responsibility well and actually outperform expectations and more then replace Holden.

But, if they struggle, with the Defense is we have already being fairly average then the Avs are gonna struggle a tonne.

Not to mention that we'll also have 19 Year old rookie Rantanen in our Top 6, and a lot of pressure on Mack to break out and actually be the player we need him to be.

I still think we've got something planned for the Defense next year, but if not next season could turn out to be a disaster or a massive success.

Either way, I strongly doubt you see us picking in the #10 spot again. It'll either be in the 15-25 range, or we'll be in the bottom 5 and with a chance at a Top 3 pick.

I realize everything points to them doing this again this year but this is what they did last year. They added Beauchemin but he was replacing Hejda...so an upgrade but not a true addition to the defensive corps, more like a replacement.

I'm not sure they want to go through that again. Maybe they'll try to sign Hamhuis to a 1 or 2 year deal without a NMC and leave him exposed next June?

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
I think Hamhuis as the right price could be a great add - the problem will be that, as with any other FA defenseman, the pool is SO thin this year that the prices could get way too high really fast.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The thought of Sakic and Roy doing something nuts on Friday scares the beejesus out of me...

I really think they're going to stand pat. They clearly don't have the cap space to buy an idiotic long term contract no matter how you slice it.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I realize everything points to them doing this again this year but this is what they did last year. They added Beauchemin but he was replacing Hejda...so an upgrade but not a true addition to the defensive corps, more like a replacement.

I'm not sure they want to go through that again. Maybe they'll try to sign Hamhuis to a 1 or 2 year deal without a NMC and leave him exposed next June?

Hamhuis could be an interesting case.

Personally I'm fine with letting the kids play. At some point they have to start playing and I think both of them showed last year they're ready for the NHL. Just let them play and not worry so much about the results of the year and more about the important development that they get. If they surprise and we end up being a playoff team then that's great and we're probably closer to contending then we previously thought. If they struggle a bit and the team ends up placing in the bottom 10 in the standing again then oh well no big deal. We draft another high end player to add to the team, and next year the youngsters will have a full season under the belts and should be more improved and ready for the NHL action.

Unfortunately, I dont think Sakic/Roy see it this way. They want this team to be making playoffs next year and they'll probably make a fairly significant move to try and fix this team quickly rather then taking a patient approach.

I wouldn't mind bringing in Hamhuis at all though. On a 1 or 2 year deal he'd be a solid replacement to Holden in the Top 4, while still allowing at least 1 of Zadorov/Bigras to get bottom pairing and easier minutes, while the other gets top minutes in the AHL.

Beauch - EJ
Hamhuis - Barrie
Zadorov - Gelinas

A decent D core for next year at least IMO.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
I would hope the Avs are at least calling on Campbell. Overpay him on a one year deal or get him on a reasonable 2 year deal. Would be a perfect fit. Lefty with experience who is a puck mover and has showen he can both win and teach over his career. If things go swimmingly with Zads and Bigras, Beach/Campbell as your third pair is very solid. If not you have two vet lefty options to play with Barrie and EJ.....and you shop around via trade for a 3d pair righty.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Add Wiercioch for cheap, bring back Matthias and sign a defensive depth forward to put in the AHL. Call it a day.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
Add Wiercioch for cheap, bring back Matthias and sign a defensive depth forward to put in the AHL. Call it a day.

This is the blueprint of choice for me. I think anyone who thinks the Avs are serious contenders (though they COULD make the playoffs, put up a fight, etc) is deluding themselves. I'd rather take a developmental year for the young D and some of the young guys transitioning to the NHL, let the expansion happen next offseason, and then go from there.

Then next summer, expansion has passed, we have a better idea of where the team stands, they didn't sign another guy they want (or need to) protect in the expansion draft, and they can hopefully get on with being real contenders.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
The thought of Sakic and Roy doing something nuts on Friday scares the beejesus out of me...

Whaddaya mean something nuts?

Like THIS:

To Tampa Bay:
Barrie, RD
Bigras, LD
2017 1st round pick

To Colorado:
Hedman, LD

Sign - Radulov, RW - 3 years - $5.5M per
Sign - L.Schenn, RD - 2 years - $1.5M per

Lando-Mack-Rantanen
Grigo-Duchene-Radulov
Martinsen-Soda-Comeau
McLeod-Compher-Iginla
Malkin* (either trade him and free up $1.8M or send Compher down for the year)

Hedman-Johnson
Beauchemin-Zadorov
Gelinas-L.Schenn

Varly
Picks

Ta-da!!!!! :handclap:

:laugh:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

Pretty much, if there are growing pains then fine we take a high pick and are ready with the dead weight gone and some experience under their belt to try and take the next step in 17-18. Plus all it takes is one kid to blossom and this teams has enough there to have a surprisingly good season, it's not like anyone wants us to strip it back Leafs style. It's just stop spending assets and money to temporarily patch holes when we are one year away from a lot of the crap gone and our kids one step closer.

The org might recognize that, Sakic might be seeing the light but I also don't think this whole new relaxed approach jives with their playoffs or else mantra. I don't think that one died out over the last few weeks. Roy has a lot of pressure to perform this year. I know they don't like July 1, I don't think they are going to waive the money around and overpay guys but I don't think they are content either. If the happy medium is they find a decent bargain then it's win-win but I also feel like there is pressure to improve and that part is scary.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
Pretty much, if there are growing pains then fine we take a high pick and are ready with the dead weight gone and some experience under their belt to try and take the next step in 17-18. Plus all it takes is one kid to blossom and this teams has enough there to have a surprisingly good season, it's not like anyone wants us to strip it back Leafs style. It's just stop spending assets and money to temporarily patch holes when we are one year away from a lot of the crap gone and our kids one step closer.

The org might recognize that, Sakic might be seeing the light but I also don't think this whole new relaxed approach jives with their playoffs or else mantra. I don't think that one died out over the last few weeks. Roy has a lot of pressure to perform this year. I know they don't like July 1, I don't think they are going to waive the money around and overpay guys but I don't think they are content either. If the happy medium is they find a decent bargain then it's win-win but I also feel like there is pressure to improve and that part is scary.

Bolded is the biggest. Stop the band-aids, let the bad contracts we have get off the books, let the kids go through the growing pains, and start fresh next season once expansion is over.

They can even still go with the "playoffs are the goal" mantra and that's fine but if they fall short nobody will have taken this team seriously as a "playoff or bust" team - I think this could conceivably take a little pressure off Roy too, of course we all know the book on Roy and an ultra-competitor could make that path tricky.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
So much of the next season is going to revolve around whether or not Roy can coach his way out of a paper bag. If he can, maybe we do have a shot with the young kids, but I have zero faith in him at this point. Maybe if he had fired Army and Farrish. The fact that the whole coaching staff kept their jobs after last season still kind of blows my mind. Maybe the roster isn't ideal, but coaching is still a major weakness on the Avs.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Bolded is the biggest. Stop the band-aids, let the bad contracts we have get off the books, let the kids go through the growing pains, and start fresh next season once expansion is over.

They can even still go with the "playoffs are the goal" mantra and that's fine but if they fall short nobody will have taken this team seriously as a "playoff or bust" team - I think this could conceivably take a little pressure off Roy too, of course we all know the book on Roy and an ultra-competitor could make that path tricky.

I guess that's one way to look at it but another way to look at it is that you're bringing in some help so that these youngsters can play with players who have experience and help bring them along.

I don't think anyone is advocating signing any kind of veteran d-man to anything more than a 2 year contract at the most. Campbell and/or Hamhuis would certainly help this team.

People always seem to say stuff like this at this time of year "I don't care how many mistakes they make as long as they progress...". We heard the same kind of talk last year about Mack going back to center full-time. Yet all I heard during and after the season was how he needs to step up. Well so much for that. So much for 'take the time you need to progress...

People forget about injuries. It's fine to have 2 young 21 year olds back there but they need to be insulated with GOOD players. If you want to leave those guys back there and their back-up in case of injury is Duncan Siemens, it's going to be a long season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad