Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
If we're trading Duchene, it has to be perfect. We've got to get a young defenseman that's either top pairing or projects to be in the near future. Anything less would be a total failure.

I don't think anyone is likely to give us that, so I'd just have onto him.

IMO it only made sense if we were flipping Barrie for forward help as well and just trying to "change the look" of the team by swapping a core F+D for another core F+D.

If we keep Barrie and trade Duchene it makes no sense. Especially if it is a guy like Trouba who wants as much as Duchene makes anyways. You've completely unbalanced how you've spread the cap around (forwards versus derfense) with a top 4 consisting of 3 guys making $6 million (or even more) plus FB's $4.5. $22.5+ million or over 30% of the cap on 4 defenders for a team that already has shown plenty of trouble getting production out of it's forward group without trading the best one.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I just watched the video on Avs Tv of Sakic talking about the Holden trade. He said it was to make room for Zadorov and Gelinas. No mention of Bigras though.. Prob looking too much into it but maybe he is the trade bait Sakic is trying to use. Package him with next years 1st and you may be able to land a decent D man.
Def not a Subban but possibly a Hamonic or Trouba...

He said Bigras to chambers. All Ive ever heard is how high the org is on him, if he's going anywhere it's San Antonio. Man, those 5 games he played after his concussion when the whole team had packed it in really sticks in people's minds that that's how he played the whole time or something. We also can't consolidate assets, that's how you spend a decade chasing your tail.

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
I just watched the video on Avs Tv of Sakic talking about the Holden trade. He said it was to make room for Zadorov and Gelinas. No mention of Bigras though.. Prob looking too much into it but maybe he is the trade bait Sakic is trying to use. Package him with next years 1st and you may be able to land a decent D man.

Sounds like the EJ trade all over again. I mean it sort of worked out so far, but we lost about as much as we gained in that deal. I rather keep Bigras. I think he could be more valuable than Zadorov down the road.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
With Duchene's success at RW and his seeming to like it there, Avs have no reason to trade him now unless a team comes calling with a significant return.

I would say Duchene is behind Varly and Barrie when it comes to likely core traded. It might have been different early in the 15-16 season, but with the success of the RW experiment after struggling on the wing years ago, I think Duchene is in fine standing.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
IMO it only made sense if we were flipping Barrie for forward help as well and just trying to "change the look" of the team by swapping a core F+D for another core F+D.

If we keep Barrie and trade Duchene it makes no sense. Especially if it is a guy like Trouba who wants as much as Duchene makes anyways. You've completely unbalanced how you've spread the cap around (forwards versus derfense) with a top 4 consisting of 3 guys making $6 million (or even more) plus FB's $4.5. $22.5+ million or over 30% of the cap on 4 defenders for a team that already has shown plenty of trouble getting production out of it's forward group without trading the best one.

If we were to obtain a true top pairing RD, I think EJ might be the odd one out. And in that case, we might not trade him even. We might go after a younger winger with upside. Kick the can down the road and hope the following team develops into a contender

Landeskog-MacKinnon-Rantanen
Grigorenko-Jost-Trade

Zadorov-Trade
Bigras-Barrie

But as I said, I don't think we'll be offered a RD that will be worth our while.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
With Duchene's success at RW and his seeming to like it there, Avs have no reason to trade him now unless a team comes calling with a significant return.

I would say Duchene is behind Varly and Barrie when it comes to likely core traded. It might have been different early in the 15-16 season, but with the success of the RW experiment after struggling on the wing years ago, I think Duchene is in fine standing.

Barrie is still slightly possible, but I think any remote chance of moving Varly ended at the draft.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016

With the team we have now, plus a minor signing or two, we should not be trading our 1st next year, let alone Bigras.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
The Canucks had the Mayor of Vancouver show up to meet Lucic as part of their pitch :laugh:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
With the team we have now, plus a minor signing or two, we should not be trading our 1st next year, let alone Bigras.

Agreed, next year's first will (hopefully) be our last chance for a while to pick top ten.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Barrie is still slightly possible, but I think any remote chance of moving Varly ended at the draft.

I don't think any of those I listed move now, but I see Vancouver, Carolina, and possibly Buffalo as still having need of an upgrade in goal, with some short(er) term options to send back to serve as a backup. Add in Dallas if you are willing to trade in division and they miss on Bishop

there are still possibilities just not as many as pre-draft

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
The Canucks had the Mayor of Vancouver show up to meet Lucic as part of their pitch :laugh:

I cant imagine Lucic wants to go back to playing in Vancouver, didnt he have some late night bar trouble there a couple years ago? I mean I know he's like super popular there from his Giants days but he's reaching infamous levels now. He'd never know any kind of peace

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I cant imagine Lucic wants to go back to playing in Vancouver, didnt he have some late night bar trouble there a couple years ago? I mean I know he's like super popular there from his Giants days but he's reaching infamous levels now. He'd never know any kind of peace

I'm guessing he's considering it on some level if he's meeting with them. If I'm an NHL hockey player the last thing I want to do on a beautiful summer day is spend it with Jim Benning.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
I'm guessing he's considering it on some level if he's meeting with them. If I'm an NHL hockey player the last thing I want to do on a beautiful summer day is spend it with Jim Benning.

There could be some upside to meeting. For example, if you ask for a cup of coffee, you are likely to also get a 2nd round pick with it.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Trading Duchene at this point will be catastrophic to the Avs.

They'll lose fans. Which obviously isn't the most important thing. Even if they find a top pairing D-man in a trade they're creating a huge hole that isn't easy to replace. And no one in the system at this point will come in and replicate his production next year. Heck maybe even 2-3 years out.

Sakic and Roy continue to find ways to make this team worst. I don't expect Duchene to be on the team to start the year. And the team will continue to struggle.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I agree, and we would save money. McDonagh is paid 3 more years at $4.7M I believe. That's a great contract!

For sure! It would be really tough to lose another top center, but we would have a legitimate defensive corps for the first time in a long time. McDonagh - EJ could make a pretty dominant pairing, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad