Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Sakic admitted to not having any discussions about Mackinnon a day before the draft though. So I guess some things can alter situations but as Avs44 said, the season ended in April and as of June 23 Sakic had no idea what Mackinnon's camp wanted.

No idea is wrong:

“Whatever the two parties decide,” Sakic said. “We had initial talks. Not much lately, but I’m sure it’s going to heat up in the summer. And I’m sure we’ll have it done by training camp.”

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/06/16/avs-gm-joe-sakic-on-tyson-barrie-trade-rumor-nathan-mackinnon-contract-talks/

There was also a quote pulled from the latest article suggesting both parties prefer short-term.

Sakic very likely has an idea of the numbers. If MacK's party is starting at 7.5m... there isn't much reason ATM to cave. Teams know that any reasonable OS will be matched, and the unreasonable OS would put many teams in a bind with the cap.

Sakic didn't have a sit down meeting with Barrie's agent / even make an offer to Barrie until the day before the draft. As kento said, the same happened with MacKinnon. Sakic said the talks they've had with MacKinnon have only been "preliminary." It's not like they've even had extent negotiations with MacKinnon and hit an impasse, it sounds likely they've just now begun the process of talks. I don't get that.

Initial talks really set the basis for any deal... formal offers are made later in the process with RFAs and usually right before they sign or test the market. There is very rarely a formal offer on the table for a length of time.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
From a Post article that is linked.

Ok. I had a post written. Re-read your post and thought I was out to lunch so deleted it and asked that question :laugh:

I was referring to Sakic on the radio last week. I believe he said something along the lines of he had no spoken to Mackinnon's camp and plans to do so over the next few days (which he did according Frei and Chambers). I'm in agreement with Avs44 who is wondering what the hell has been going on the last two months. The season ended in April and they didn't touch base with Mackinnon until a week before he can be offer sheeted.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Well, with the other exception of scrubs who shouldn't get an extension period ie. Stuart, Berra, Holden.

Haha, you gotta laugh at the Avs contract priorities. Hammer out a deal for your core players to make sure you can have a solid idea of the roster for next season? Nope. Overpay your scrub players who have little impact on the team, even when there is plenty of time to negotiate? Hell yea!

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I know they are going to do something unexpected on Friday, I'm not buying that suddenly they are just going to roll with all the kids.

What are you thinking?

I feel the same way but the only reason I feel that way is because if they weren't planning on spending to the cap I'd expect a Mackinnon/Barrie long term deal to be done already. With Iggy and Stuart coming off the books next year we don't have to worry about cap space until a few years down the road.

Why would you risk having to increase the salaries of guys like Mack/Barrie by 2 million or so each after a bridge deal when you can easily fit them in now? I think there's money going to be tossed somewhere.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Ok. I had a post written. Re-read your post and thought I was out to lunch so deleted it and asked that question :laugh:

I was referring to Sakic on the radio last week. I believe he said something along the lines of he had no spoken to Mackinnon's camp and plans to do so over the next few days (which he did according Frei and Chambers). I'm in agreement with Avs44 who is wondering what the hell has been going on the last two months. The season ended in April and they didn't touch base with Mackinnon until a week before he can be offer sheeted.

That article was from the 16th, before last week's interview. It all depends how things are said and structured. There were rumors of initial talks going back to last October... I'm certain that all parties have a basis of where things are. From there it doesn't take long to hammer something down if there is middle ground on various lengths. If there isn't, let it simmer until there is middle ground. This is the same as Barrie a couple years ago.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
What are you thinking?

I feel the same way but the only reason I feel that way is because if they weren't planning on spending to the cap I'd expect a Mackinnon/Barrie long term deal to be done already. With Iggy and Stuart coming off the books next year we don't have to worry about cap space until a few years down the road.

Why would you risk having to increase the salaries of guys like Mack/Barrie by 2 million or so each after a bridge deal when you can easily fit them in now? I think there's money going to be tossed somewhere.

I fully expect Duchene to be traded between now and mid July. I don't think Sakic has said one thing about him. That will be their big move to get that defender. On the 1st, the will grab a 2nd tier FA to fill the void up front.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
That article was from the 16th, before last week's interview. It all depends how things are said and structured. There were rumors of initial talks going back to last October... I'm certain that all parties have a basis of where things are. From there it doesn't take long to hammer something down if there is middle ground on various lengths. If there isn't, let it simmer until there is middle ground. This is the same as Barrie a couple years ago.

My bad. I felt pretty certain on the radio that he said they hadn't had talks but yeah I guess it's how you interpret it. It would seem extremely odd if the biggest player in the organization since.. well.. the guy who's signing him was up for a contract and there wasn't some type of communication.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Colin Smith wasn't qualified. Would love to have him on the Rampage but I'm guessing both sides have moved on.

I really don't think he was treated fairly in TO.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
I fully expect Duchene to be traded between now and mid July. I don't think Sakic has said one thing about him. That will be their big move to get that defender. On the 1st, the will grab a 2nd tier FA to fill the void up front.

God I hope not. That will ravage our already crappy offense. At this point we need to slowly develop the defense and leave the offense alone. Trading our best forward and 30 goal guy from the 19th ranked offense and trying to replace with a second tier UFA will be a disaster. I view Rantanen as Iggy's replacement production-wise, not Matty's. Not to mention the PR nightmare of losing Stazz, ROR and Matty in successive years - basically watching the complete dismantling of our one-time strength.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
God I hope not. That will ravage our already crappy offense. At this point we need to slowly develop the defense and leave the offense alone. Trading our best forward and 30 goal guy from the 19th ranked offense and trying to replace with a second tier UFA will be a disaster. I view Rantanen as Iggy's replacement production-wise, not Matty's. Not to mention the PR nightmare of losing Stazz, ROR and Matty in successive years - basically watching the complete dismantling of our one-time strength.

I'm not saying I like it, just saying thats were I see it heading.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
I'm not saying I like it, just saying thats were I see it heading.

So you think that Sakic is hinting at a trade by omission? Highly doubtful. He hasn't mentioned a lot of the players on the team. Are they all gone too? Dutchy is signed and there is nothing that needs to be done with him. No need to bring him up.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Sakic's too passive to do anything like that imo, he's being passive with the MacKinnon extension too it looks like sadly. I assume we're going into next season with the same core group as before and he'll make changes the following season if we miss the playoffs (I'll assume Kroenke keeps him in charge).

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Sakic's too passive to do anything like that imo, he's being passive with the MacKinnon extension too it looks like sadly. I assume we're going into next season with the same core group as before and he'll make changes the following season if we miss the playoffs (I'll assume Kroenke keeps him in charge).

I think being patient with the defense given that our offense is poor also and for next season we are in a cap crunch is a totally different can of worms than stubbornly repeating contractual negotiation mistakes.

Shedding Holden and Stuart gives me hope that we are going to step off the playoffs or bust train and actually grow the talent we have this year. A boring off-season, given our cap situation, suits me just fine this time around.

Avalanche2133

May 16, 2013
Manitoba, Canada
I just watched the video on Avs Tv of Sakic talking about the Holden trade. He said it was to make room for Zadorov and Gelinas. No mention of Bigras though.. Prob looking too much into it but maybe he is the trade bait Sakic is trying to use. Package him with next years 1st and you may be able to land a decent D man.
Def not a Subban but possibly a Hamonic or Trouba...

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
So you think that Sakic is hinting at a trade by omission? Highly doubtful. He hasn't mentioned a lot of the players on the team. Are they all gone too? Dutchy is signed and there is nothing that needs to be done with him. No need to bring him up.

There have been two names prominent in trade rumors this year, Barrie and Duchene. Sakic has all but squashed the Barrie rumors, but I find it very odd that he didn't do the same with Duchene. Sure, perhaps the Barrie rumor was squashed via talks about contracts. Or perhaps nobody has bothered to ask. But still, a very specific rumor of Trouba for Duchene came up and there really wasn't anything said about it. I find it odd.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Trading Duchene would be a disaster. It could very well solve our defensive problems for a while, but it would create a whole new problem in giving us one of the worst offenses in the league. I don't want to trade one gaping hole for another. Especially when we're only a development season away from a pretty solid defense without giving up a key offensive component.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
There have been two names prominent in trade rumors this year, Barrie and Duchene. Sakic has all but squashed the Barrie rumors, but I find it very odd that he didn't do the same with Duchene. Sure, perhaps the Barrie rumor was squashed via talks about contracts. Or perhaps nobody has bothered to ask. But still, a very specific rumor of Trouba for Duchene came up and there really wasn't anything said about it. I find it odd.

I haven't heard anyone ask Sakic about it. His name has not been mentioned again in any articles really, and the only Trouba for Duchene rumor came from a fellow in Boston, who apparently isn't too credible. For all we know he took the rumor from this board, because Trouba for Duchene was brought up days before he (and he alone) reported it.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Trading Duchene would be a disaster. It could very well solve our defensive problems for a while, but it would create a whole new problem in giving us one of the worst offenses in the league. I don't want to trade one gaping hole for another.

Yeah, the Avs really can't get away with it. Soderberg could easily be promoted (and as TV mentioned a while ago, it doesn't seem like the Avs paid him that much just to sit on the third line), and a second line of Landeskog/Soderberg/Rantanen could actually be quite good if Rantanen does well, but then there is absolutely nobody to play with MacKinnon, and the third line is a mess.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
If we're trading Duchene, it has to be perfect. We've got to get a young defenseman that's either top pairing or projects to be in the near future. Anything less would be a total failure.

I don't think anyone is likely to give us that, so I'd just have onto him.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
If we're trading Duchene, it has to be perfect. We've got to get a young defenseman that's either top pairing or projects to be in the near future. Anything less would be a total failure.

I don't think anyone is likely to give us that, so I'd just have onto him.

I don't know. Top line centers are as rare in this market as are top pairing defenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad