Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
If Calgary really does wants another top 10 pick what do you reasonably ask from them for #10?

Outside of next year's 1st + their 2 later 2016 2nds, I don't really see much I'd think they would part with I like.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Per Bobby Sabres want Fowler but don't want to give up the 8th pick. Says Fowler could be traded before the draft?

Trade 10th pick and something small for Fowler and call it a day. It will be pretty much a perfect fit.

Beat me to it. Who plays on the right side? Can we fit Fowler and another forward addition in with expansion planning or is it one or the other?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I know beggars can't be choosers and all that but I'm not a big fan of Fowler.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Your not going to find a better player than Fowler at the 10th pick(most likely) he's on a great contract and young. There's no downside.

I'm not his biggest fan but he's 35 point player already and not in his prime.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
As always during these times....I find myself refreshing HF/twitter every 5 seconds expecting a trade. :(:laugh:

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Every time I try to add a top notch defender (even if it is one that has a value contract via trade like Fowler in lieu of overpaying a Demers-type) AND try to add a decent second-line scoring option to the forwards (in this case, not even talking about Radulov but just re-signing Boedker to a reasonable deal)...I can NEVER make it work, even with Stuart on LTIR and Holden and Mitchell gone for whatever.

That's with long-term deals for Barrie and MacK though. I guess if Barrie just continues on arbitration and MacK gets a bridge deal we can have more space but that is not IMO as healthy for the club's future as just hammering out long-term deals.

This line-up is still well over $3 million over the cap - and it's basically our team last year with a nice piece added on defense. I'm convinced we need to either move Varly (but that could be totally counter-productive) or find a taker for Iginla to really have any freedom to make upgrades on both side of center ice for this season. It's crazy how hamstrung this club is in terms of contracts and the cap in comparison to the poor on-ice results.

19c51fad48b8c1fb52b0c40d99a529e5.png

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Trading Varly is the only way we can add both a To4 Dman and top6 forward. Or get lucky and Iggy waive his nmc

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I'd love Fowler. His advanced stats are pretty poor, but he has been handling a big load on Anaheim, and he moves the puck quite well. If we can get him for something around 10th overall, I'll be happy. I really think our defence would be playoff calibre with him on board (assuming Zadorov develops as expected).

Fowler - Johnson
Zadorov - Beauchemin
Holden / Bigras - Barrie
Gelinas

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
This is why I think Sakic will actually push a bridge on MacK.

Solve the now and pay the price later. It is the same reason a Subban bridge was a terrible idea

Avs44

May 16, 2011
This is why I think Sakic will actually push a bridge on MacK.

Solve the now and pay the price later. It is the same reason a Subban bridge was a terrible idea

I'm scared you're right. They'll think short term, save cap space for additions now by giving out a bridge deal, then will figure they can cough up the big money after Iginla and the rest are off the books.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The fear is trying to save money on MacKinnon now and then trading him when he asks for $8-9M/yr in two years. Lock him up this offseason and be happy you did.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Mack isn't getting 7. That is ridiculous.

Even if it is $6 million on a long-term deal, it is still the same story in terms of just how little space we have to maneuver with additions this off-season. It's going to be at least that much for term - I still think at least $6.5-7 if you really want to make a go at a long-term contract. You can disagree with the approach but that's what it will take.

The alternative is a bridge deal and that' just asking for heartburn in a couple years.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Per Bobby Sabres want Fowler but don't want to give up the 8th pick. Says Fowler could be traded before the draft?

Trade 10th pick and something small for Fowler and call it a day. It will be pretty much a perfect fit.

That would be too sexy.

Beat me to it. Who plays on the right side? Can we fit Fowler and another forward addition in with expansion planning or is it one or the other?

Fowler-EJ
Zads-Beauch
Bigras-Barrie

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Well his best season was his rookie year, when he played wing, and Stastny fed him biscuits. So I don't know where this fear of having to pay him is. If he gets 100 points, and earns it. Great. We can afford it. You make room to pay great players. You don't need to underpay players to build good teams. You need good enough players. Don't blow your wad on a player hoping he becomes that player. Pay him the money he deserves when he shows that.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Well his best season was his rookie year, when he played wing, and Stastny fed him biscuits. So I don't know where this fear of having to pay him is. If he gets 100 points, and earns it. Great. We can afford it. You make room to pay great players. You don't need to underpay players to build good teams. You need good enough players. Don't blow your wad on a player hoping he becomes that player. Pay him the money he deserves when he shows that.

But the best he ever played was the first ~30 games of this season as a Center, when the rest of the team was ******** the bed...

Avs44

May 16, 2011
But the best he ever played was the first ~30 games of this season as a Center, when the rest of the team was ******** the bed...

People seem to forget this. MacKinnon didn't sustain it, but it was for a solid third of the year and it was fantastic hockey. If MacKinnon comes out of the gate like that next year, then we're all going to really regret it if he's on a bridge deal.

And bohlmeister, I could not disagree more. How do you think you get guys like Josi, or Klingberg, on such brilliant contracts? This 'pay the player after they've fully proven themselves' mandate is antiquated. We could have had O'Reilly on this team for 5 million right now had the old management not been idiots about demanding a bridge deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad