Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
We might get actually get lucky with the MacK and Barrie extensions.

As other have said, I don't think MacK is getting over 6M AAV.

If Barrie goes to arbitration I see a 1 year deal coming it at about a 5 or 5.5M AAV.

We might still have room to sign either a defenseman or Matthias for ~3M AAV, and someone like Brouwer for 4.5M AAV

Right now I'm guessing Mackinnon's side sees that too which they probably aren't okay with. They are probably going to push for a bridge deal so he can prove he's worth closer to 8 long term. We might get him at or maybe even under 5 million for the next year or two but then it's going up. I hope they do long term now though.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Right now I'm guessing Mackinnon's side sees that too which they probably aren't okay with. They are probably going to push for a bridge deal so he can prove he's worth closer to 8 long term. We might get him at or maybe even under 5 million for the next year or two but then it's going up. I hope they do long term now though.

A 1 or 2 year bridge should fall in the 3-4M range, rather than the "at 5M" range...so I'd say you're closer to the "or under" part you mentioned.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
A 1 or 2 year bridge should fall in the 3-4M range, rather than the "at 5M" range...so I'd say you're closer to the "or under" part you mentioned.

I'm not so sure. Mack would probably have the richest bridge deal in history.

RyJo took a bridge deal of 4M AAV and that was 2 years ago when the cap was 4 million dollars lower. He at the time had a career high 63 points (like Mackinnon) but his two other seasons were 12 points and 21 points.

RyJo = 4m AAV bridge deal | Salary cap 69 million | 96 points in 189 career games
Mackinnon in same position | Salary cap 73 million | 153 points in 218 games

I could definitely see Mackinnon getting a million more than RyJo. Mackinnon is also a year younger than Johansen was.

edit: I totally disregarded the "1 or 2 year" part of your post. You're right. If he only took a one or two year bridge it would be less. Especially 1 year.

Last edited:

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV

The sad part is he should be happy to take the 6 with term. He's yet to really play like a 6M player since his rookie season. He had one decent stretch last year, but consistently I'd say he's probably in the $3.5-4M range in terms of play and quality of play.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
The sad part is he should be happy to take the 6 with term. He's yet to really play like a 6M player since his rookie season. He had one decent stretch last year, but consistently I'd say he's probably in the $3.5-4M range in terms of play and quality of play.

I think it's been a while since he's played, we've forgotten how good he is. I don't think this is true at all. The team got noticeably worse without him even if he's not creating as much as we'd like.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Also I feel like I missed something, how did Shaw end up on MTL, did the Hawks trade him? I missed that I guess. Or did he sign an offer sheet?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I think it's been a while since he's played, we've forgotten how good he is. I don't think this is true at all. The team got noticeably worse without him even if he's not creating as much as we'd like.

This is very true. I've been calling Matt Duchene the best player on the team for about 5-6 years now. Even last year when everyone said Mackinnon would be their best player I stuck tight and guessed Duchene would still be our best skater. Next year though, I truly believe Nathan Mackinnon becomes the best player on the team. It's his time. And that terrifies me if he isn't locked up long term.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Had the Hawks known Bergevin was that dumb he could have let him offer sheet Shaw. I know I know Bergevin probably wouldn't have done that but if he did the compensation would have been a 1st and 3rd :laugh:

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

It isn't 2005 anymore. If MacKinnon was 26 and he had a year like he had last year, he get well more than that. He's 20. Pay him.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV

Because i'm not in agreement with the majority? It's not even that outlandish. He was phenomenal his rookie season obviously. And has had stretches of decent play.

Would I happily have him signed to 6M or more longterm. Absolutely. I'm not saying he's not capable of it. I just don't think his play the last two years has materialized the value of a 6M player. That is all.

I don't really think anyone other than Duchene and Barrie earned their check last season.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Had the Hawks known Bergevin was that dumb he could have let him offer sheet Shaw. I know I know Bergevin probably wouldn't have done that but if he did the compensation would have been a 1st and 3rd :laugh:

I can see situations where 2 2nds is more preferable... now if Montreal misses the playoffs, then the 1st is way more valuable. If they are in the 20s... I'd probably rather have the 2 2nds. Still, an offer sheet at that level wasn't going to happen for Shaw.

I don't get the hate on that contract though. Yeah it is a little too long, but Shaw is an elite 3rd line level of player, a young enough one that he shouldn't drop off terribly (Montreal just purchase the rest of his prime... not much, if any more), he is a heart and soul type of player, and he always elevates his game in the playoffs. The Hawks are really going to miss Shaw. People talk like he is a plug, but he will put up ~15+g and ~20a a season while being able to play anywhere in the top 9. For the term, it would be better if it was 3.75m... but that is splitting hairs.

jaisen73

Oct 5, 2006
It sounds like Sakic's highest priority is getting Barrie and Mack taken care of. Someone out there might be stupid enough to offer sheet them but I can't imagine any scenario where the Avs don't match so there is no rush.

I'd love to see Matthias back. I hope the Avs might be able to get him on a 2-3 year deal.

Sadly there is not a lot of top tier D on the UFA market. As Sakic noted in a recent article they can only get the type of D they want (a top 4 guy) via trade.

Avalanche2133

May 16, 2013
Manitoba, Canada
If Avs strike out bringing back Boedker and Matthias which they are trying to do, it's looking like we will have a hole in the top 6 and bottom 6.

Looking at what's out there and what we can afford I'd like to try grabbing 1 from each category.

Top 6
Okposo
Nielson
Brouwer
Backes
Perron

Bottom 6
Helm
Mcginn
Martin

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland

Oh hey, I found this entire sequence as a gif.

giphy.gif

Avs44

May 16, 2011
If Avs strike out bringing back Boedker and Matthias which they are trying to do, it's looking like we will have a hole in the top 6 and bottom 6.

Looking at what's out there and what we can afford I'd like to try grabbing 1 from each category.

Top 6
Okposo
Nielson
Brouwer
Backes
Perron

Bottom 6
Helm
Mcginn
Martin

I think they would be lucky to grab one of McGinn, Helm, Perron, Brouwer, etc. The Avs aren't going to be in on the Backes and Okospo's.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I think Toronto are in major need of righties. They're also corsi lovers so I have a good feeling that happens.

They'd be much better off going for Trotman... though I think a number of teams will try to convince Trotman for a bottom pairing sort of role. I think the Avs even take a run at him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad