Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Mitchell makes 1.8 mil a year. While yes that is a good contract for him I feel Roy and Sakic are trying to find as many creative ways as possible to save cap space for next year. Replacing Mitchell with someone who makes 900k or 1 mil might be one of those ways.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Mitchell makes 1.8 mil a year. While yes that is a good contract for him I feel Roy and Sakic are trying to find as many creative ways as possible to save cap space for next year. Replacing Mitchell with someone who makes 900k or 1 mil might be one of those ways.

That's my thinking too. I'd rather keep Mitchell but if the cap falls or stagnates that extra $1m would be nice.

If the Avs are committed to rolling MacKinnon - Duchene - Soderberg as the three centres than you really don't need a quality 4th line center.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Maybe. But thats a slippery slope when your trying to cheap out your bottom 6. Next thing you know we have Cliche as our 4th C.
Plus while alot of us see Mitchell solely as a 4th C, Roy doesnt view him just in that role. The guy's been used just about everywhere except on D. and G

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Exactly. They might not have had to if the cap wasn't expected to stay the same or go down, but if it does it'll put a squeeze on their plans a bit.

Adding Soda was the writing on the wall for him anyway. If Nate and Dutchy stay at center, then Soda most nights will be the 3rd center, making Mitchell a luxury as a $1.8M 4th liner.

He's probably a better option than Matthias or Wagner, but if they need to cut costs, then Matthias and Wagner will be just fine as 4th and 5th centers. Of course they have to re-sign both first, but they're not in that strong a position negotiating wise.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Joking aside Ive been thinking that if a team on the bubble is looking for some fwd /C depth they might swap a bottom pairing D for Mitchell. Hell it could end up being TOR again and they just flip him to another team.
I keep bringing up PIT because Malkin is hurt and their 4th line is Rust, Wilson, and some guy name Koon-hack-el

ikonos

Jun 24, 2008
What would it take to get Drouin? Do we have the assets outside of the current team Rants and Zadarov to get him? Also do you see Roykic interested in it at all? Can Mitchell + something get it done?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
What would it take to get Drouin? Do we have the assets outside of the current team Rants and Zadarov to get him? Also do you see Roykic interested in it at all? Can Mitchell + something get it done?

Definitely not. If 1st + Wood + Everberg or something of that nature doesn't get it done then I don't think its going to happen here.

Here's a question. If Rantanen said he wasn't going to come over to play for the Avalanche and stayed in Finland demanding a trade what would y'all accept for him?

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Definitely not. If 1st + Wood + Everberg or something of that nature doesn't get it done then I don't think its going to happen here.

Here's a question. If Rantanen said he wasn't going to come over to play for the Avalanche and stayed in Finland demanding a trade what would y'all accept for him?

I asked the same thing a while back TV, didnt get a response. But yeah id at the very least want a mid first for him. Which is what I think will happen. Any player outside of the top 6 or 7 for JD should be gravy for TB.

ikonos

Jun 24, 2008

The way I am looking at is teams do trade their 1st round pick for an impact player for their playoffs. Rumor is that playoff bound teams are looking at Mitchell so Mitchell + X should equal a 1st round pick. Drouin being a 1st round pick that is in the doghouse with a trade request, I am assuming it would be equal value depending on what that X is?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
That's crazy. Mitchell would be the sweetener in a trade for a first, and Drouin will require our first, Wood/Meloche and Bleackley/Compher at the very least.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002

Well that can't be worth it.

Depends on how the Avs feel about Drouin. If they feel there is no chance he doesn't become a top-6 forward, then that's a pretty modest price to pay. A first round pick (likely between 10 and 20) + a raw, former 3rd round pick that's a long-shot to make it (Wood) or an undrafted fringe NHLer that's already gone through waivers (Everberg) is certainly not a fantastic package that the Lightning would have trouble beating from another team. Just because that's the most YOU would give up in order to acquire Drouin, that doesn't mean it's even close to a fair offer or that it's the most the Avs would be willing to give up.

If the Avs are serious about acquiring Drouin, the price from the Lightning would likely involve the Avs 1st round pick + a prospect like Bigras and maybe even an NHLer like John Mitchell with perhaps a 3rd or 4th round pick added on Tampa's side. That's a realistic non-homer value and while many Avs fans may have a huge problem with that, I think that if the Avs can find a way to keep their top-2 prospects AND acquire a kid like Drouin in the process, that would be pretty huge.

Drouin's situation is almost identical to the one Kyle Turris was in when he was with the Coyotes. The player and the team reached an impasse and everyone knew he was going to be traded. He ended up going for Rundblad (a former 17th overall pick and highly regarded young prospect at the time) plus a 2nd round pick. That's a 1st and a 2nd for the former 3rd overall pick Turris. The fact that Rundblad ended up busting has no real bearing on the value which was paid at the time.

ikonos

Jun 24, 2008
Depends on how the Avs feel about Drouin. If they feel there is no chance he doesn't become a top-6 forward, then that's a pretty modest price to pay. A first round pick (likely between 10 and 20) + a raw, former 3rd round pick that's a long-shot to make it (Wood) or an undrafted fringe NHLer that's already gone through waivers (Everberg) is certainly not a fantastic package that the Lightning would have trouble beating from another team. Just because that's the most YOU would give up in order to acquire Drouin, that doesn't mean it's even close to a fair offer or that it's the most the Avs would be willing to give up.

If the Avs are serious about acquiring Drouin, the price from the Lightning would likely involve the Avs 1st round pick + a prospect like Bigras and maybe even an NHLer like John Mitchell with perhaps a 3rd or 4th round pick added on Tampa's side. That's a realistic non-homer value and while many Avs fans may have a huge problem with that, I think that if the Avs can find a way to keep their top-2 prospects AND acquire a kid like Drouin in the process, that would be pretty huge.

Drouin's situation is almost identical to the one Kyle Turris was in when he was with the Coyotes. The player and the team reached an impasse and everyone knew he was going to be traded. He ended up going for Rundblad (a former 17th overall pick and highly regarded young prospect at the time) plus a 2nd round pick. That's a 1st and a 2nd for the former 3rd overall pick Turris. The fact that Rundblad ended up busting has no real bearing on the value which was paid at the time.

So based on your comparison, fair value is a mid first round pick and a mid second round pick. I would not mind giving the top 2 picks in the upcoming draft for Drouin assuming roykic team likes him.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Runblad wasn't really highly rated at the time of the deal. A lot of people considered him a bust myself included.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't believe Yzerman is going to get what he wants for Drouin. It's Kyle Turris all over again, and that trade wasn't very pretty for the Coyotes

In hindsight. Rundblad had a lot of hype at the time and that trade wasn't far off in value from 1st+Wood/Meloche+Bleackley/Compher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad