Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Zadorov has gone down to SA with a great attitude. I call BS on the flight risk stuff.

Enough with trading with Zadorov or Bigras. Did you not hear Sakic talk? Top 4 defensemen don't get traded. We've been looking for one for years and can't get one. The only way to get them is to develop them or trade for them while they're young. 16 of the top 20 scoring D were drafted and developed by the team they're playing for.

Yes....and no. EJ says hello. (Avs gave up a relative lot to get him, but none of those pieces have come even close to being worth what EJ is to the Avs) As do Nick Leddy and John Boychuck. (both traded for peanuts btw in relative compare to their value)

Travis Harmonic is going to be traded. Keith Yandle also got traded and may be traded again. Dion Phaneuf was given away basically.

Seth Jones....Hamilton.... bit more costly guys, but both should prove their worth.

And I am sure I am missing at least a handful more from the last 5-6 years.

Are the all #1 d men, no...do some have flaws, yes.. were some overpaid for, maybe....but the market IS there and some DO get traded for fair or under market value. Plus given the cap issues of a few teams out there, the Avs have to at least be making phone calls on it... Just think if the Avs had gotten one of Boychuk or Leddy a few years ago.

Not saying it is 100% the right call.... or that it will happen, just it COULD be a big win if they keep their options open over the summer.

There are always one or two guys traded each summer that no one really thought was on the market, and they usually go for less than the perceived value.....and given the cap this summer, we could see more than normal.... It would be nice to see the Avs on the winning end of one of these offseason deals.

Last edited:

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Why the hell would they do that?

Bigras and Zadorov are both very raw. The front office might not like the idea of having to rely on both next season. But both Zadorov and Bigras are also at the point that they are good enough to play in the NHL.

If the cap drops or stagnates you could potentially find a team willing to move a young but more seasoned defenseman in exchange for a good defensive prospect.

I'm not saying it will happen but I wouldn't be shocked if one of them were traded.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Bigras and Zadorov are both very raw. The front office might not like the idea of having to rely on both next season. But both Zadorov and Bigras are also at the point that they are good enough to play in the NHL.

If the cap drops or stagnates you could potentially find a team willing to move a young but more seasoned defenseman in exchange for a good defensive prospect.

I'm not saying it will happen but I wouldn't be shocked if one of them were traded.

I would be. They can't just go down to Walmart to get NHL ready D prospects.

I get what you are saying, an equal quality swap because of the cap, but that's still an unlikely scenario.

Last edited:

Avalanche2133

May 16, 2013
Manitoba, Canada
Not sure it's been posted here yet but last night Dater was saying he was hearing John Mitchell's name being tossed around. However we are lacking forward depth scoring and Mitchell's been fine if they keep him as 4C. Only way it makes sense is if we are upgrading for a even better forward. But then who would be our new 4C?

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Not sure it's been posted here yet but last night Dater was saying he was hearing John Mitchell's name being tossed around. However we are lacking forward depth scoring and Mitchell's been fine if they keep him as 4C. Only way it makes sense is if we are upgrading for a even better forward. But then who would be our new 4C?

Wagner probably. If its possible they are getting offers for Mitchell (cause I doubt they are shopping him) I bet its for a pick and thats it. Then they call put Wagner in the 4C spot and maybe swap Martinsen and Rantanen.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
I like Mitchell a lot but if he's going to be the 4th line centre he's getting paid too much. I can see the Avs going with Wagner to finish the season and in the off-season get someone else for under $1m.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
I would be. They can't just go down to Walmart to get NHL ready D prospects.

I get what you are saying, an equal quality swap because of the cap, but that's still an unlikely scenario.

I don't think it will be that unlikely. Look at Anaheim for example. They have Bieksa, Fowler, Stoner, and Despres under contract for about $15m annually for the following two seasons. That's actually pretty good but you have to keep in mind that Anaheim is a budget team and that Lindholm and Vatanen are in for sizeable raises and the Ducks have Theodore waiting to get in full time. There is a very good chance that Anaheim will trade a good young defenseman this off-season. They might be more inclined to trade a defenseman if they get a young cheap and promising defensive prospects in return. That way they don't create a hole in the future while saving money in the short term. But maybe they would want a forward instead. Just an idea.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The ducks will trade Vatanen, who we don't need unless we can't re-sign Barrie...in which we sure as hell can't give up Zads or Biegs.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
So what are everyones thoughts on trading for Matthias? Does that mean Mitchell may be on the way out?

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
He could just be for more winger depth but I guess there was a Dater rumour that Mitchell's name is out there, so maybe it's just the first step in another swap.

If the Avs move Mitchell it's a contract off the books for next season. $1.8m is a bit steep for a 4th liner too.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
Guessing Mitchell doesn't move.

3rd+Siemens/Geertsen+Bodnarchuck/Redmond/Gormley/Guenin for an upgrade a D.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
If we could add a middle pairing LHD and somehow get Tanguay out of the lineup and replace him with Rantanen I think this team could battle to take a playoff series to 6 or 7 games which would be a very successful season IMO.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I've always liked Mitchell but he's struggled this season. It's not his job to score, but when playing over 15 minutes per night, he should have better numbers. He's got 9 goals, but keep in mind he had 4 goals the first 4 games of the season.

In calendar year 2016, Mitchell has 1 goal and 3 assists in 23 games.

I hope they don't trade him but I will understand why if they do. He's still a good PKer.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I agree with both of these.

Mitchell won't get traded, and I'd bet the rental D comes from Siemens + 3rd.

That Siemens + 3rd deal has always been my guess too.

Not sure on Mitchell though. Seems an odd name for Dater to throw out in a rumor, and it was before the Matthias deal was announced. I've had a feeling they might move him before next season anyway. There's only so many players on the roster that are moveable really, and he carries a small amount of value because of how cheap his cap hit is.

If they do move him, it's not because they want to get rid of him, it's because another team is asking for him in a deal they want to make.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
A 3rd + Siemens for a D rental would be disappointing. I feel we could get more than a rental for that.

You might be able to get someone they have interest in re-signing.

Siemens, even though he's still got a shot at making the NHL, has lost a considerable amount of value since being drafted.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
You might be able to get someone they have interest in re-signing.

Siemens, even though he's still got a shot at making the NHL, has lost a considerable amount of value since being drafted.

And he's not playing. May not be traded unless it's to a team who has had their eye on him for a while and 100% believe he'll be fine (recovering from injury).

Shaggy88

Bananular phone
Nov 13, 2013
Really don't see Mitchell getting traded. His name might be out there to gauge his value. Can't see the Avs making a move to improve the bottom 6 to turn around and make a move that worsens it. If it's a Mitchell trade, it needs to be a clear upgrade.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Like I was saying in another thread. I think its more likely teams are asking us about Mitchell not the other way around. And once that happens the player's name is officially "out there" regardless of who started the ball rolling.

Roy loves him some Mitch, so unless a good return is coming back they arent moving him...imo.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Do we have an updated list on who's been scouting the avs lately?

Shaggy88

Bananular phone
Nov 13, 2013
Like I was saying in another thread. I think its more likely teams are asking us about Mitchell not the other way around. Roy loves him some Mitch, so unless a good return is coming back they arent moving him...imo.

My thoughts as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad