Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I can't believe some are making a case for Doughty to win the Norris this year. EK65 are miles ahead of him.

Sometimes I wonder if EK would take less beating for his "poor defense" if he didn't put up so many points. If he just scored "Doughty numbers".

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I can't believe some are making a case for Doughty to win the Norris this year. EK65 are miles ahead of him.

Sometimes I wonder if EK would take less beating for his "poor defense" if he didn't put up so many points. If he just scored "Doughty numbers".

Or maybe it's because EK generally isn't that great defensively? I mean he's not Justin Schultz out there but he isn't exactly someone I'd classify as good defensively. I think he's average defensively and it shows, but he makes up for it with the amount of points he puts up.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Doughty in the middle of the regular season isn't the same as Doughty when the game matters. He may not ever win a Norris trophy, but there isn't another defensemen in the league that I'd want leading my team in the playoffs.

It is like Hasek vs Roy in the 90s and early 2000s. Hasek will pile up the accolades... Roy will win you cups.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Doughty in the middle of the regular season isn't the same as Doughty when the game matters. He may not ever win a Norris trophy, but there isn't another defensemen in the league that I'd want leading my team in the playoffs.

It is like Hasek vs Roy in the 90s and early 2000s. Hasek will pile up the accolades... Roy will win you cups.

Pretty much this. I don't think there's a defensemen - or player for that matter - in the entire league who takes his game to the level Doughty takes his during the playoffs. He's a different beast come playoff time.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Or maybe it's because EK generally isn't that great defensively? I mean he's not Justin Schultz out there but he isn't exactly someone I'd classify as good defensively. I think he's average defensively and it shows, but he makes up for it with the amount of points he puts up.

I disagree.

But yeah I wouldn't put him top 5 defensively, but not "average". Regardless, the end result, is what matters, and his end result is much better than any other d-man in the universe.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka

Yeah, this...Id really take Keith over those dudes, too. He's an animal.

One thing about EK is that while he's not the best defensively, he controls the play so much he doesn't have to be to be effective.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Pretty much this. I don't think there's a defensemen - or player for that matter - in the entire league who takes his game to the level Doughty takes his during the playoffs. He's a different beast come playoff time.

And in the Olympics.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I disagree.

But yeah I wouldn't put him top 5 defensively, but not "average". Regardless, the end result, is what matters, and his end result is much better than any other d-man in the universe.

I think you and I disagree on a lot of things players-wise but that's why I enjoy your posts, I get to see the other side of the argument and I know you're a pretty good numbers guy.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I love PK but hes a luxury we cant afford not only in dollars but the potential assets going the other way and hell no to trading Rantanen.

I wouldn't want to move EJ because he loves Denver but if I had to choose between including him or Barrie in a package for Subban, I'd choose EJ. Similarly built defensemen but we'd likely need to add our 2016 1st round pick and probably another piece.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'm a big PK fan but his 9M would blow up the Avs payroll structure and plan for the future.

They could fit him in sure, but they wouldn't be able to add what they want to fill out the rest of the team, and address it's weaknesses.

Compound that problem with the boatload of high quality assets they'd have to give up to get him, and it doesn't really make any sense. They'd lose Rantanen for sure, they'd lose Barrie, and as 1st, plus more probably.

Fortunately, this feels like one of those rumors out of a hockey hotbed that literally came out of nothing. A game of telephone that started with a what if from someone, and morphed into an actual rumor.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
friedman saying Avs would like to et another good defenseman.

"That's what I think Colorado's big move is"

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Avs can add another significant piece if they get rid of their deadweight, don't do anything stupid like resigning Tanguay.

I thought MacKinnon was headed to a PPG season and that would increase his salary when they resigned him next year, but that's not the case, he should only get like 6 or so, same with Barrie. Barrie looked like he was on pace for 60 points and was playing good D but his game has dropped quite a bit. Both MacKinnon and Barrie probably decreased their value quite a bit

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
friedman saying Avs would like to et another good defenseman.

"That's what I think Colorado's big move is"
I'm sure they would, but teams don't move these players. We've been hearing this for a few years, every time the Insiders talk about us.

You have to develop defensemen. That's really the only way.

Avalanche2133

May 16, 2013
Manitoba, Canada
What are people's thoughts on Kris Russell? He's been a plus player every season in Calgary. Even on this years horrible team. Good for 30 points a year. Left shot. Good puck mover. Only thing is, that he is another small Barrie type and a UFA after this year. I wonder what the price would be...

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

He is poor defensively though?

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

Hasek was a beast in the playoffs too, Sabres had no business making the finals in 99...too bad they got cheated out of cup.

While I agree Doughty deserves a norris at some point in his career, it's not like he's Lemiuex in the playoffs.

If Karlsson isn't #1 he's #2 behind Doughty, with Keith #3. Subban's in that next tier.

Weber needs more love...according to some on here he's making Josi a #1Dman. Guy is probably the most underrated player in the NHL.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Avs can add another significant piece if they get rid of their deadweight, don't do anything stupid like resigning Tanguay.

I thought MacKinnon was headed to a PPG season and that would increase his salary when they resigned him next year, but that's not the case, he should only get like 6 or so, same with Barrie. Barrie looked like he was on pace for 60 points and was playing good D but his game has dropped quite a bit. Both MacKinnon and Barrie probably decreased their value quite a bit

Well yeah he hasn't lit the world on fire yet. That probably helps us a little but he's around his rookie season pace and has already scored more points than he did last year in 64 GP so it's not like he's been bad either. Also to note is the general number of PPG players.

I'm actually a little bit happy that Barrie hasn't taken yet another step. He hasn't been a slouch either though and you never know with Newport so we'll see...

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Hasek was a beast in the playoffs too, Sabres had no business making the finals in 99...too bad they got cheated out of cup.

While I agree Doughty deserves a norris at some point in his career, it's not like he's Lemiuex in the playoffs.

I'm not saying Hasek was bad in the playoffs... Hasek just doesn't hold a candle to Roy in the playoffs.

Doughty is the best big game defensemen of this era. I really don't even think it is all that close either.

Weber needs more love...according to some on here he's making Josi a #1Dman. Guy is probably the most underrated player in the NHL.

Thinly veiled shot there... Weber is top 5 quite easily. He may not be in 3-4 more years, but right now he is still one of the very best in the game.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I could see them targeting Eller. He fits alot of what Roy i think is looking for, size, speed, two-way ability, faceoffs. I think he fits that "puck mgmt" label. He , to me, is a perfect 3rd line player...

...but..

He is a "Hockey tease" like Gardiner, Burmistrov, Kreider and so forth
I have no doubt what so ever he will start on a line with Soda and Comeau and Roy will within seconds play him with Duchene or Mack, because he will look dynamite on a 3rd line role for a series of games, fooling everyone into thinking he can do and be so much more..but he ends up disappointing.

Mitchell is another "Hockey tease"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad