Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Eller has made sense for a while. He is what he is at this point, but given his size and age, it makes sense if they can find the room for his cap hit the next few years.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The Avs will not get another "good defenseman". There are none available. We just need a reliable bottom-pair guy to replace Boddy/Redmond, and maybe another depth forward with future upside. Anything more than that costs too much and compromises the future.

Did anybody actually read the article I posted from the Avs official site? That's about as authoritative as anybody can ask for. This is why I've been avoiding the boards lately, and probably will continue to until the TDL hits and all this nonsense is finally done. There will be no major signings or splashy moves.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Avs have wanted a top 2-4 defenseman for 3 years now. We hear it every deadline and offseason. Either those guys aren't available or the Avs are unwilling to pay what will likely be a ridiculous price.

This year might be a bit different with Hamonic and one of Lindholm/Fowler/Vatanen possibly on the market. Neither one of those teams is rebuilding though so futures likely won't get it done.

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
Avs have wanted a top 2-4 defenseman for 3 years now. We hear it every deadline and offseason. Either those guys aren't available or the Avs are unwilling to pay what will likely be a ridiculous price.

This year might be a bit different with Hamonic and one of Lindholm/Fowler/Vatanen possibly on the market. Neither one of those teams is rebuilding though so futures likely won't get it done.

I could have seen this a month or so ago, but Anaheim has come back strong and I don't see them being sellers at this point. Maybe around free agency or the draft, but not by TDL.

Avalanche2133

May 16, 2013
Manitoba, Canada
Not sure you guys seen my post in the last page but I suggested Kris Russell from Calgary. He's a LD who is good for 30 points a year and has always been a plus player. Even on this years horrible Flames team. He is a slight upgrade on Holden and a pretty good passer. He is another smaller Barrie type. UFA after this year. Could probably get him rather cheap I think since Flames are sellers.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Wonder which one of those Ducks defencemen Beauchemin has the highest opinion of.

If the Avs do somehow land a top-4 defenceman, without sending one the other way, this could be a pretty impressive team.

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
Not sure you guys seen my post in the last page but I suggested Kris Russell from Calgary. He's a LD who is good for 30 points a year and has always been a plus player. Even on this years horrible Flames team. He is a slight upgrade on Holden and a pretty good passer. He is another smaller Barrie type. UFA after this year. Could probably get him rather cheap I think since Flames are sellers.

He would be a nice add, but considering he is a LD player similar to Barrie it would make it difficult to insert him into the lineup and solidify the defense. I think we would be much better off with a defensively sound RD that plays a simple game.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
The Avs will not get another "good defenseman". There are none available. We just need a reliable bottom-pair guy to replace Boddy/Redmond, and maybe another depth forward with future upside. Anything more than that costs too much and compromises the future.

Did anybody actually read the article I posted from the Avs official site? That's about as authoritative as anybody can ask for. This is why I've been avoiding the boards lately, and probably will continue to until the TDL hits and all this nonsense is finally done. There will be no major signings or splashy moves.

You willing to risk your avatar on that?

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Do not really want, especially in a top 4 role. I don't think he'd come as cheap as you would think, as McKenzie was just talking the other day about how he's looking for around 5M a year. His possession numbers are brutal.

Avalanche2133

May 16, 2013
Manitoba, Canada
Man it would be nice to get Hamonic out of New York. He is exactly what this team needs. Would probably cost us one of Barrie, Zadorov, Bigras though at the least.

Beauch EJ
Holden Barrie
Bigras Hamonic

That is solid. Bet we would go 15-7 to end the last 22 games of the season.

Would you trade Zadorov and a 2nd for Hamonic? Would that even be enough?

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm

He is average third pairing guy who is going to get paid like a top 4 (or even better).

This isn't going to turn into Andrew MacDonald, but not far from it someone really gives him a 5-year 25M deal or what it was he was looking for.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Subban is my second favourite player in hockey after Price, but the dude is not good defensively. If he's available, you try and at least make an offer, definitely would trade Barrie+ for him easily. Will never be a 9 million dollar player as Freudian said, but like Karlsson, his pros outweigh his cons. Game breaking talent.

If Anaheim are considering moving Vatanen/Lindholm we should be all over that.
Absolutely, especially yes to Lindholm, but Ducks are probably more likely to move Vantanen due to Theodore. Lindholm is the player Avs should try and get, he's only 22 years old and can log some heavy minutes in a game. I think he was averaging like 19 minutes as a 20 year old a couple seasons ago. Don't think his offensive game will ever translate, but good puck moving defensive defenseman IMO.

We can add Fowler to that "want list", but he would probably cost Duchene, MacKinnon, or Rantanen+.

What are people's thoughts on Kris Russell? He's been a plus player every season in Calgary. Even on this years horrible team. Good for 30 points a year. Left shot. Good puck mover. Only thing is, that he is another small Barrie type and a UFA after this year. I wonder what the price would be...
Russell is a great middle pairing #4 defenseman who's going to be overpaid. Rumour is he's wanting somewhere in the high 4 close to 5 million dollar range. True that Holden's form has decreased over the course of the season and knocking him down to a #5 is probably the most ideal move, but Nick's contract also makes Russell pointless IMO.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

It's the sitting on Santa's lap time of the year. All good things are possible, people like to dream. I try to stay out of it as best I can. For me it's how bad is it going to be. Trades are either meh or horrifying. It's not like this org has gone out and done anything exciting at the deadline anytime lately. At best it's another Talbot for Caron, at worst it's another Berra for a pick. But hey, folks want to live in the land of optimism and then we'll have the managing our expectations talk 10 days from now and move on.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I'm not saying Hasek was bad in the playoffs... Hasek just doesn't hold a candle to Roy in the playoffs.

Doughty is the best big game defensemen of this era. I really don't even think it is all that close either.

Thinly veiled shot there... Weber is top 5 quite easily. He may not be in 3-4 more years, but right now he is still one of the very best in the game.

All in good fun Ben wyatt.:nod:

I've never been that high on him... still think the likes of Weber or Keith are better all around players.

I was not being sarcastic on the Weber part, I honestly believe he's underrated and got cheated out of a Norris.

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
My projection, we trade Gormley/Redmond etc for another "on the cusp" of being an NHL defensemen. We will hype them up on the boards for about a month only to realize we still need a solid #6 Dman.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Well yeah he hasn't lit the world on fire yet. That probably helps us a little but he's around his rookie season pace and has already scored more points than he did last year in 64 GP so it's not like he's been bad either. Also to note is the general number of PPG players.

I'm actually a little bit happy that Barrie hasn't taken yet another step. He hasn't been a slouch either though and you never know with Newport so we'll see...

Yeah well, by the projection and the hype MacKinnon should of gotten more than his rookie year, he should of been at least at 75 points in 82GP, many people put him at PPG in his 3rd year so by all standards he's underachieving and i wouldn't pay him more than 6 mill a year. Give him like a 3 year 6 mill deal, and if by the end of that contract he's at PPG or close then give him more

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
Eller has made sense for a while. He is what he is at this point, but given his size and age, it makes sense if they can find the room for his cap hit the next few years.

Eller is someone the Avs should target if he is available. Would come relatively cheap and would be an upgrade on our third line over someone like Tanguay moving forward. The Avs could see a quiet deadline day but I would not be surprised if we move some players for someone management likes (think the McGinn trade).

Avalanche2133

May 16, 2013
Manitoba, Canada
This Eller thing feels a lot like one of those acquisitions we all seen coming. (Think Beauch, Wolski for Mueller, Theodore). Just seems to make a lot of sense. Be a good 3rd line C and Mitchel can stay as the 4th.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
This Eller thing feels a lot like one of those acquisitions we all seen coming. (Think Beauch, Wolski for Mueller, Theodore). Just seems to make a lot of sense. Be a good 3rd line C and Mitchel can stay as the 4th.

If the lines stay the way they are (which they probably wont) he'll most likely replace Martinsen on the line with Soda and Comeau. He'd be a good 3rd line LW, ...if , like Mitchell, is just kept in his place.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

I think Kris Russell is a better skating Brad Stuart but that's just me. Whoever signs him to a big contract in free agency will instantly regret it

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
We really need to figure out our cap situation before adding anyone with term.

We are probably only going to bring in one more forward for next year as well. We have 7 guys signed already, Rantanen makes 8, you got to assume we sign MacK and Grigo for 10, and a good group of 4th liners, Skille/Everberg/Martinsen/Wagner, to fill the bottom 2 spots.

Grigo - Duchene - _____
Lando - Yeti - Comeau
Rantanen - MacK - Iggy
McLeod - Mitchell - Skille/Everberg/Martinsen/Wagner
Skille/Everberg/Martinsen/Wagner

If we were to trade for one right now you got to ask yourself if that's the guy we are happy with, or can we do better in the off-season. Because if we were able to bring in a guy like Eller without money leaving then there is a good chance he is the only addition.

Now if we can get Drouin or someone else dirt cheap for that final top9 (preferably top6) role then that would be a different story.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Man it would be nice to get Hamonic out of New York. He is exactly what this team needs. Would probably cost us one of Barrie, Zadorov, Bigras though at the least.

Beauch EJ
Holden Barrie
Bigras Hamonic

That is solid. Bet we would go 15-7 to end the last 22 games of the season.

Would you trade Zadorov and a 2nd for Hamonic? Would that even be enough?

I really have my doubts about Zadorov, i would trade him for an established NHLer right now because if Zadorov busts, he's not gonna have any value, for now his potential value could be greater than the future. Then again he could become a top 4 d-man, but i rather have a certainty than a question mark so if there is a package deal or whatever that includes Zadorov which gets a solid established NHL player in return, i'm all for it

Edit: If Zadorov busts, it will be a major setback for this team having given up ROR for him. I'll feel more comfortable trading him right now if he'll get a good player in return who will have impact on the team

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad