Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
You just get the feeling Stuart will be traded. It'll probably be for another bad contract. He's only played two of the Avalanches first 10 games (if he doesn't play tonight).

It seems that Stuart's even behind Gormley in the depth chart.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Well let's keep it in the theme of JVR vs Skinner... why is one considered a sure fire top line forward well the other who's had better hockey number(not to mention younger) is not?

Player A

Best seasons

5th season

80GP 30G 31A 61PTS

6th season

82GP 27G 29A 56PTS

Player B

1st season

82GP 3G 32A 63PTS

4th season

71GP 33G 21A 54PTS

(Everyone's favourite) on pace for 62pts

Like I said, feel free to think whatever you want. I've explained my opinion like 3 times now. Skinner hasn't been consistent at all. JVR has improved upon his numbers each year, minus last year. But it's not like he had a big decrease. And he has been a 50+ player for the past 3 years. Skinner went from 60s, to 50s, to 40s, to 60s, down to 30s. That's too inconsistent for me to call him a legit and/or proven top 6 player. JVR has shown enough consistency.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
This would never work and I will probably have to hide for a few days after posting this but if I am the avs I would be calling Dallas and asking for a pickard + for nichuskin deal. He is not fitting with them at all, but has a boat load of talent and I am guessing that they can find a taker for Lehtonen now that Niemi has seemed to take the job over as starting goaltender. Pickard gives them a reasonably priced backup, and someone that can handle more workload as niemi gets older and the avs get a winger they desperately need.

Granted I think there would need to be a decent plus on our side, and I don't see the avs trading within the division but dare to dream.

Another couple teams to be calling would be Buffalo (ie moulson or a forward prospect) or calgary. I cannot see them trading Pickard but he is practically all the avs have left that has some value and there is a need for in the league. I do think the goaltending market is consists of the avs, ducks, jets and lightning as sellers and the sabres, flames, and possibly leafs as buyers.

There has been more and more talk about Vasilevskiy coming back and everyone knows the plan is that him, Gibson, and Helleybuck are guys that could be starts as soon as this season or next season depending on trades/injuries. If Bishop/Andersen go, I think we will see more and more trades happen, not just with goalies but with all positions. I feel that the GM's are watching Niemi succeed in Dallas, and anaheim failing in front of a stellar anderson, and then hutchinson slowly taking over the #1 job and waiting to see what happens.

Last edited:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
This would never work and I will probably have to hide for a few days after posting this but if I am the avs I would be calling Dallas and asking for a pickard + for nichuskin deal. He is not fitting with them at all, but has a boat load of talent and I am guessing that they can find a taker for Lehtonen now that Niemi has seemed to take the job over as starting goaltender. Pickard gives them a reasonably priced backup, and someone that can handle more workload as niemi gets older and the avs get a winger they desperately need.

Granted I think there would need to be a decent plus on our side, and I don't see the avs trading within the division but dare to dream.

Another couple teams to be calling would be Buffalo (ie moulson or a forward prospect) or calgary. I cannot see them trading Pickard but he is practically all the avs have left that has some value and there is a need for in the league. I do think the goaltending market is consists of the avs, ducks, jets and lightning as sellers and the sabres, flames, and possibly leafs as buyers.

There has been more and more talk about Vasilevskiy coming back and everyone knows the plan is that him, Gibson, and Helleybuck are guys that could be starts as soon as this season or next season depending on trades/injuries. If Bishop/Andersen go, I think we will see more and more trades happen, not just with goalies but with all positions. I feel that the GM's are watching Niemi succeed in Dallas, and anaheim failing in front of a stellar anderson, and then hutchinson slowly taking over the #1 job and waiting to see what happens.

While Nichuskin sounds fun, we don't really need another question mark IMO, especially if we're trading assets.

Which is why I like JVR, he has his flaws but he is a know commodity at this point. Hes been consistent enough that you know what your getting. Also if Duchene snaps out of it, JVR could potentially be even better offensively. As his best center has been Bozak.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
If jvr came Mack and lando can take the real opponents, and jvr and Duchene can stay in the ozone and score goals.

With Landeskog and Mikko, ideally we'll have a responsible winger with either one of them at all times down the road.

JVR - Duchene - Mikko would be a helluva line to handle

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Like I said, feel free to think whatever you want. I've explained my opinion like 3 times now. Skinner hasn't been consistent at all. JVR has improved upon his numbers each year, minus last year. But it's not like he had a big decrease. And he has been a 50+ player for the past 3 years. Skinner went from 60s, to 50s, to 40s, to 60s, down to 30s. That's too inconsistent for me to call him a legit and/or proven top 6 player. JVR has shown enough consistency.

JVR has decreased in production just as Skinner...You can think what ever you want as well but the numbers don't lie. One player is 3 yearsyounger and has produced more while not playing with one of the purest goal scores in the league.

It's no contest Skinner>JVR.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If we can't get Rads I'd see what the pricetags on Ladd or Okposo would be, but would probably end up walking away from Ladd due to term...even though I love him...and we'd probably get priced out of Okposo, but I'm not that worried; it would just mean that we don't open our window while the geriatrics are still around. Neither JVR nor Skinner are convincing enough to me to bank on them partnering Matt or MacK so I wouldn't want to pay the price for them. Rather just keep our picks and let Roykic keep stocking up the pipeline.

MacK, Matt, Soda and Malkin is beastly center set up; to partner them we've got Landy already and Rintintin will get there in time without a doubt, the only question is how much time he'll need to get there...which is why Rads, or even Ladd/Okposo, would be so huge for us...Because finding guys to be the third winger on a line with a great duo is a lot easier than finding our top Centers a partner in crime. With Comeau, Skille, Greg and 1 year of Iggy on the team already; JTC and Bleackley starting their professional careers, another first round pick spent on a forward (probably), the Euro-FAs, and the cheaper FAs I think there's a good chance we won't have any problems finding the right 3rd-guys once we have those two duos to anchor everything.

Add what should become an excellent set of dmen if we can keep them together; between EJ, Barrie, Zads, Bigras, Gormley, Meloche and the other kids we should be dman factory in the latter parts of this decade; and a few more years of seasoning and that should grow into a contender as we draw closer to 2020.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
JVR has decreased in production just as Skinner...You can think what ever you want as well but the numbers don't lie. One player is 3 yearsyounger and has produced more while not playing with one of the purest goal scores in the league.

contract and injury history though

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014

Lol. He dropped 5 points. Yeah, just as Skinner. That's hilarious.

You might want to check you stats again. They are almost identical (.61 vs .63) per game.

Use whatever stats you want, that doesn't change the fact that Skinner hasn't produced at a top6 rate 2 of the past 3 years. He has been quite inconsistent.

It might have been no contest 5 years ago, but this ain't 2010. Mix in their contracts and JVR is the easy choice. I wouldn't want either though.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
contract and injury history though

That's the only knocks on the kid.

Lol. He dropped 5 points. Yeah, just as Skinner. That's hilarious.

You might want to check you stats again. They are almost identical (.61 vs .63) per game.

Use whatever stats you want, that doesn't change the fact that Skinner hasn't produced at a top6 rate 2 of the past 3 years. He has been quite inconsistent.

It might have been no contest 5 years ago, but this ain't 2010. Mix in their contracts and JVR is the easy choice. I wouldn't want either though.

Yup 5 points exact same point total he has improved by(in the season he actually produced).

Give Skinner a proper team and it would not be even close.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
What are realistic ways of making Stuart's $3.6m for next season somehow, or somewhat, disappear?

It's sad to think that money would cover the new extension for Barrie, currently at $2.6m, and still have some change left.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
What are realistic ways of making Stuart's $3.6m for next season somehow, or somewhat, disappear?

It's sad to think that money would cover the new extension for Barrie, currently at $2.6m, and still have some change left.

stuart + 3rd/4th/passable prospect for 7th. leafs seem to be interested in that type of deals.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014

My best guess would be to add a pick or prospect to the mix to negate Stuart's negative value. Basically, instead of trading Stuart we are just paying someone to take him. Stuart + pick/prospect for a 7th. We might need to give up another 2nd, but if that's the difference between being able to sign a big name FA (or the room to bring in a big contract via trade) or not being able to then I would do it.

Ideally we would take on an even bigger contract that is only for this year. But I don't see any bad contracts like that. The only bad contracts like that are playing on bad teams, and ones that don't even need the cap space. And those teams have no reason to take on a multi year bad contract when they could just let the one they have now walk at the end of the year.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
It would make a situation even worse to give up a second or anything real decent. We are just now rehabbing our prospect pool, let's not neuter that.

not saying i'd do it but if avs want to get rid of that contract, i think that's what it would take. save one GM going full moron.

i think they can re-sign barrie, mack and still have room to sign UFA winger.

avsfan89

Sep 25, 2011
would love to get a guy like Brock Nelson or Anders Lee.

or go all offensive like Mike Hoffman or Atkinson,

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Toronto's apparently looking to move Roman Polak. He's making $2.9M and will be a UFA at season's end. Maybe Babcock has some fondness for Stuart still, and Brad might waive his NTC to play for him again?

On another note, with their value at it's highest, I'd be gauging the possible returns for Mitchell and Holden in a package with another team looking to make a shakeup trade of their own. They don't have many options if they're looking to make a trade. Between the core, and all the new guys, there's not that many guys they could move.

Give Gormley and Grigo more minutes and see if you can get something decent in return, while sending a message to the team to wake up.

Last edited:

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Toronto's apparently looking to move Roman Polak. He's making $2.9M and will be a UFA at season's end. Maybe Babcock has some fondness for Stuart still, and Brad might waive his NTC to play for him again?

On another note, with their value at it's highest, I'd be gauging the possible returns for Mitchell and Holden in a package with another team looking to make a shakeup trade of their own. They don't have many options if they're looking to make a trade. Between the core, and all the new guys, there's not that many guys they could move.

Give Gormley and Grigo more minutes and see if you can get something decent in return, while sending a message to the team to wake up.

Trade gormley and grigs?!
I actually could care less about gormley but I'd be ****in pissed if grigs was traded. Think he has a real future with us

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Core players are struggling; some depth players have stepped up; ergo lets trade the depth guys who've stepped up so our struggling core players and new guys have even less help and stability!...

...something about this plan seems off...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad