Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Before the draft Friedman said Shattenkirk wouldn't sign an extension with the Oilers so the trade talks didn't really go anywhere. Others, who are less reliable, have said Shattenkirk might want to only play in the East. Those might just be false internet rumours though.

They should just abolish the western conference at this point.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
IMO on the open market without getting Shatty in early, there isn't a chance he goes there. If Shatty hits the pure open market, he is going to the Rags. Also possible Boston can't afford him without moving salary, and Shatty improves Boston during the season where the East is wide open and they could make a run in the playoffs.

Then it would have to be a signed Shatty or Boston will make another huge mistake.

Haha Kane is definetly Foppa before bed wetting. The way they move in the o zone is very similiar though. Alot of feints and look offs to create that extra 1-2 foot of space to make a play. The difference is of course is Forsbergs tenacity. Another thing people seem to overlook is the fact forsberg was willing to take a hit to make a play. He would routinely draw 2 sometimes 3 guys to him leaving Kamensky, Peppe, Drury, Hejduk open. Been watching a ton of games from 97 and its quite amazing how often Kamensky and Peppe are left wide open.

He wasn't just willing to take a hit, he welcomed it and initiated it a lot of times. There's no one better than Foppa that I've seen in their primes. The way he dictated the pace of the game is 2nd to none.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
He wasn't just willing to take a hit, he welcomed it and initiated it a lot of times. There's no one better than Foppa that I've seen in their primes. The way he dictated the pace of the game is 2nd to none.

How lucky are we that we got to witness a prime Sakic and a prime Foppa back in the day? As well as Roy, Blake, and, Foote. I mean our teams back in the late 90's and early 00's was just awesome.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
How lucky are we that we got to witness a prime Sakic and a prime Foppa back in the day? As well as Roy, Blake, and, Foote. I mean our teams back in the late 90's and early 00's was just awesome.

I hate that I was such a casual fan then. I didn't get into it 100% until after I graduated college in 09 and could actually pay for center ice. I've probably watched more of MacKinnons games than Roy, Forsberg, and Sakic's regular season games combined.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I hate that I was such a casual fan then. I didn't get into it 100% until after I graduated college in 09 and could actually pay for center ice. I've probably watched more of MacKinnons games than Roy, Forsberg, and Sakic's regular season games combined.

I was what 7 when the in 01? So I never really appreciated how good that team was until now.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
We have like gazillion dollars cap space next summer. Too bad I dont see too many exciting names available, or am I missing someone really worth targetin? Shatty back to Avs :naughty:?

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
We have like gazillion dollars cap space next summer. Too bad I dont see too many exciting names available, or am I missing someone really worth targetin? Shatty back to Avs :naughty:?

I'm sure someone like Marchand will be high on their list. No spectacular defensemen, but expansion could change some things. Tampa will be in tough with their RFAs so offersheet/trade targets available. Too much cap space is never a bad thing, especially when your core is signed.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
I'm sure someone like Marchand will be high on their list. No spectacular defensemen, but expansion could change some things. Tampa will be in tough with their RFAs so offersheet/trade targets available. Too much cap space is never a bad thing, especially when your core is signed.

Landeskog would approve of this :popcorn:

katfude

Sep 25, 2015
I'm sure someone like Marchand will be high on their list.

Please the **** no. For the same reason I would never want Sean Avery or Todd Bertuzzi or (gag) Brad May.

I'll take Iginla for 4 more years at 5 mil per instead of 1 year of Marchand at league minimum.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Please the **** no. For the same reason I would never want Sean Avery or Todd Bertuzzi or (gag) Brad May.

I'll take Iginla for 4 more years at 5 mil per instead of 1 year of Marchand at league minimum.

In what alternate universe does Marchand even compare to those three?

and what just what??

katfude

Sep 25, 2015
They're all stupid dirty idiots who shouldn't be playing hockey? At least Marchand makes a goal once and a while, but not enough to leapfrog my conscience.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Ill give you Sean Avery, but at least May was a decent player at one point, actually a couple points in his career. Bertuzzi, well, whatever on that one. But personal distates aside Marchand is a really good player.
Plus the Avs have had plenty of dirty idiots play for them too. Like every team has.

katfude

Sep 25, 2015
Ill give you Sean Avery, but at least May was a decent player at one point, actually a couple points in his career. Bertuzzi, well, whatever on that one. But personal distates aside Marchand is a really good player.
Plus the Avs have had plenty of dirty idiots play for them too. Like every team has.

I'd prefer to not add to that list, no matter the talent.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I'd prefer to not add to that list, no matter the talent.

Fair enough. I mean im sure he's not leaving the east, cause thats everyone does but
id take him in a heartbeat. Avs could use some dirtbag 35+goalscorers that can drive the offense, esp against the Wild and Hawks.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
We'll see what kind of season Marchand has, but chances are he'll be paid significantly more than he should if he hits free agency.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Fair enough. I mean im sure he's not leaving the east, cause thats everyone does but
id take him in a heartbeat. Avs could use some dirtbag 35+goalscorers that can drive the offense, esp against the Wild and Hawks.

I really dislike Marchand, and would prefer the Avs look elsewhere. He's just such a ratty punk of a player.

But, the dude can score. I think it's 5 years in a row scoring at a 25+ goal pace - something like that. I'm going to guess that last year's 37 is an anomaly, but he's still a quality goal scorer.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ

you hate the guy because he plays for the Bruins .
The reality is that all 30 teams and their fans would love to have him on their team .

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
The reality is that all 30 teams and their fans would love to have him on their team .

Fir the right price, I would be fine with it. Unfortunately, the real price will be significantly higher than the right price.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia

I think he's a good player, but I also hate his guts, guy is a fake tough guy if there ever was one. Do you think he would dare to pull all those antics if he didn't Lučić, McQuaid, Miller, Thornton, Randall etc to fight his battles?

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
I just wanted to add my 2 cents on the Stastny thing. Someone broughtup Legwand as a comparable, but with the assumption that Stastny would would brought more back.

Legwand was traded at the deadline for Calle Jarnkrok (B+ prospect, #41 via THN at the time), Patrick Eaves (pending UFA 5th liner, with time in the AHL that year) and a conditional 2nd/3rd round pick (DET made playoffs, so it was a 2nd). This was a deadline trade for a pending UFA, so the price was slightly lower than it would have been before the season. But he was making $4.5M that season, significantly less than Stastny's $6.6M, in addition to it being mitigated by the partial season number-wrangling for cap stuff (total cap hit for Legwand for the new team worked out to $1.152M, just 17.5% of Stastny's had he been traded in summer).

In 12/13 one of the players had 24pts in 40 games, and the other had 25pts in 48 games. In 11/12, both had 53 points, but one had 1 fewer game. Explain to me why the price would have been so much different? Age is the only thing I can come up with, but compared to previous seasons, it seemed at the time that age was catching Stastny just as quickly as it was Legwand. Cap hit strongly favors Legwand, which in my mind counters the full vs. partial season. I cannot see Stastny garnering much more that a solid 2nd+B+C; and most likely...exactly what Legwand got, so figure Detroit's pick. Pick would have been for 2013 draft, so figure Pracey would have taken...Detroit's actual choice, as it was an OHL forward...Zach Nastasiuk.

But seriously, how high a price do folks really think teams would have been willing to pay for a guy that scored less than 60 points the 3 prior seasons, under 50pt pace the lockout year that just ended, and was getting paid $6.6M? Any team that paid more than a 2nd for him PRIOR to the bounceback, would have been laughed at on all the forums, in the media, and in the GM meetings. That was almost 10% of the cap for a second liner that looked to be declining, and a team was going to give up prime assets for the privilege of making that overpayment?

That being said, it wold have been nice if they had done something similar to what Boston did with us for Soderberg. Trade his rights to STL for a late pick just prior to UFA. I think he would have been amenable to telling STL he would agree to a deal there, and could have gotten us a 5th back to replace the one we gave up for Briere.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Perhaps I'm not following the conversation correctly, but some thoughts.

1. Organizations in the past have gone into death-spirals the moment they uttered five words: "We need to get tougher." I'd argue Chicago and Detroit have never been big, tough teams, especially Detroit, and it's never cost them. Buffalo pretty much decimated the franchise once they tried going after more size and grit. Washington took apart a very good team a few years back because they feared they were "too soft." And Toronto took a small step back this offseason trying to add more grit to their lineup.

2. Brad Marchand is indeed a very good player, but he in no way makes the Avalanche "tougher." Dude's good, but he's a skilled weasel. I wouldn't be opposed to the Avs adding him, but he's also approaching 30 and is an undersized player. I'd be wary of a long-term deal.

3. Brad May was little more than a goon who could skate well. He wasn't a horrible player but he wasn't ever really good at hockey. Sean Avery was actually a pretty good depth player up until he finally lost whatever mind he had left. Todd Bertuzzi was the perfect combination of size, speed, and skill, and could have been a elite player in the league for a great many years. It's too bad for him he had paper-thin skin and the emotional maturity of a three-year-old.

4. Patrick Kane may not initiate contact but he has no problem going into high-traffic areas and it's amazing how hard he is to knock off the puck for such a little guy. He doesn't outright avoid them, like, say, Mike Ribeiro. Forsberg definitely initiated contact, though I'd argue his style of play, along with the fact you could practically tackle a guy and get away with it back when he played, led to a lot of time lost due to injury. Kane, to my knowledge, doesn't get hurt that often.

5. Avs don't need "grit" so much as they need a guy who takes punishment in front of the net and is still able to get to rebounds and cause deflections. It was pathetic a couple seasons ago when Daniel effin' Briere was the only guy on the Avs willing to do this. I'm told Colborne is a guy who does this sort of thing, I certainly hope that's the case, then it's a great signing. And Colborne is a guy who gets the "soft" tag. Honestly I don't care if they're soft or gritty, so long as they're effective players.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I think he's a good player, but I also hate his guts, guy is a fake tough guy if there ever was one. Do you think he would dare to pull all those antics if he didn't Lučić, McQuaid, Miller, Thornton, Randall etc to fight his battles?

Marchand played the same in juniors too. He's not a fake tough guy but he's not going to fight people twice his size. Same with Landy who refused to fight Lucic. He goes into corners and battles guys twice his size. He block shots and hits. That's about as tough as you can get.

BTW half those guys you mentioned are not on the team anymore or weren't there full time to begin with. Only reason you're saying that is because your a habs fan. He's basically the same player as Gags who's equally as tough.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
We'll see what kind of season Marchand has, but chances are he'll be paid significantly more than he should if he hits free agency.

Overpaid? Probably, but his body will hold up better than Lucic's ever will. Brad will still be playing, while Lucic four years from now will be on LTIR. Marchand is one of those players like Corey Perry, he chooses his targets and how he messes with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad