Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
The stars of the late 90's are better than today's. The product on ice was better too. Most will disagree but it was IMO.

Thinking the game used to be the most important attribute. That's starting to change. It's all about speed, strength and skill. If you have the skill to be a hockey player and you decide to put the work in on and off the ice you have an opportunity to make something of yourself regardless of your smarts. Now if you're exceptionally smart and lack some of the other things you still have a chance, but the chance isn't as good as it once was.

Jake Virtanen is the example I use most. He describes exactly what hockey is turning into. Because the game is different it's nearly impossible to compare eras.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Thinking the game used to be the most important attribute. That's starting to change. It's all about speed, strength and skill. If you have the skill to be a hockey player and you decide to put the work in on and off the ice you have an opportunity to make something of yourself regardless of your smarts. Now if you're exceptionally smart and lack some of the other things you still have a chance, but the chance isn't as good as it once was.

Jake Virtanen is the example I use most. He describes exactly what hockey is turning into. Because the game is different it's nearly impossible to compare eras.

You've mentioned before that it's starting in youth hockey and manifesting itself into the NHL. I agree and as of right now some of the best games I'm watching in recent years have been at the WJC. Where the creativity of players is not totally erased from their game and become systematic players.

One of the reasons why I'll forever hate Babcock for playing the trap to win gold last Olympics. Shmeful stuff really.

BTW one of the reasons why I rate Malkin as the best in the game is his intelligence. His game is so elegant to watch, it's like Foppa without the heart.

kulenova seka

You've mentioned before that it's starting in youth hockey and manifesting itself into the NHL. I agree and as of right now some of the best games I'm watching in recent years have been at the WJC. Where the creativity of players is not totally erased from their game and become systematic players.

One of the reasons why I'll forever hate Babcock for playing the trap to win gold last Olympics. Shmeful stuff really.

BTW one of the reasons why I rate Malkin as the best in the game is his intelligence. His game is so elegant to watch, it's like Foppa without the heart.

I can agree 100% with this. Last WJC I watched Canada - Swiss game and after that I think Minny - Habs, Jesus...:help: I turned off TV and went to sleep, slow game unlike WJC game just few hours before with great tempo, chances on both sides one for another, much more free flow game (I don't know if I used proper word to describe it, but you will understand the point). :)

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

I have Patrick Kane in that category. He moves and thinks like foppa once he hits the blue line.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I can agree 100% with this. Last WJC I watched Canada - Swiss game and after that I think Minny - Habs, Jesus...:help: I turned off TV and went to sleep, slow game unlike WJC game just few hours before with great tempo, chances on both sides one for another, much more free flow game (I don't know if I used proper word to describe it, but you will understand the point). :)

Yeah, you used it correctly and I completely agree.

I have Patrick Kane in that category. He moves and thinks like foppa once he hits the blue line.

Some have made the comparisons...I just don't see it. Kane given his body structure avoids contact. Foppa initiates it. 2 completely different ways of producing. Maybe, Kane is Foppa before puberty?

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Reading all the trade Staz discussions is funny, I recall vehemontly defending him on these boards and him proving me right his last year with us. I am of the opinion that he would still be with us if we hadn't been stupid and extended him that summer. I wish we still had a 5.5-6 Staz over a broken down Iggy, he was such a good playmaker and defensively.

There is a time and place for moving players, Staz was not one of them. He had too much chemistry with the players and was our most veteran Av at the time. Outside of STL stupidly overpaying him I bet he would still be here and we would appreciate every bit of his play.

We better bring him back when he is done in St. Louis.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
The stars of today might not be as elite but I think the average hockey player is much better. Everyone is strong, big and fast. Something has to separate them.

I think this plays the biggest role. I don't even think that the stars aren't necessarily as elite, it's just the the general level of competition (and especially goalies) is so much higher, your third and fourth liners are so much better than they ever have been so by comparison the best players don't stand out like they used to.

Drop an elite player today into the NHL of the 90s and not accounting for having to adjust to the clutch and grab type stuff, that modern star is going to dominate like the best stars of the day IMO.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Coaching has also gotten to the point where everything is so structured and nailed down that most players can't have the puck for more than a couple seconds at a time, at least 5v5. Clutch and grab hockey slowed the game down, but the systems in place then didn't put so much constant pressure on the puck.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
The stars of today might not be as elite but I think the average hockey player is much better. Everyone is strong, big and fast. Something has to separate them.

Better athletes =/ better hockey players.

Although, I agree they are faster and stronger.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Shatty is going to be traded by the Blues, he isn't re-signing there.

Well, given today's discussion, is Shattenkirk going to be traded?

Or will St. Louis play out the season with him and lose him as a UFA for nothing?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Well, given today's discussion, is Shattenkirk going to be traded?

Or will St. Louis play out the season with him and lose him as a UFA for nothing?

I'd say it is very, very likely (St Louis knows there is no real chance of re-signing him). I don't know if it would be the best course of action (depends how the Blues look 20-30 games into the season), but Army knows losing Backes and Shatty with nothing in return over the course of 1 year would cost him his job (and Steen will be the priority). The luxury that Army has is Parayko should be ready to take over Shatty's role early in the season and Shatty can be shopped in November and December leading to a fairly early trade. Also, one of the places that Shatty would sign with (Boston) has a left shooting replacement that could be had and fit better with the future makeup of the Blues.

I think we see a Krug + for Shatty swap in early December or early January.

If I was the Blues... I'd be shopping Shatty ++ to get a #1C or a potential one.

Last edited:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I'd say it is very, very likely (St Louis knows there is no real chance of re-signing him). I don't know if it would be the best course of action (depends how the Blues look 20-30 games into the season), but Army knows losing Backes and Shatty with nothing in return over the course of 1 year would cost him his job (and Steen will be the priority). The luxury that Army has is Parayko should be ready to take over Shatty's role early in the season and Shatty can be shopped in November and December leading to a fairly early trade. Also, one of the places that Shatty would sign with (Boston) has a left shooting replacement that could be had and fit better with the future makeup of the Blues.

I think we see a Krug + for Shatty swap in early December or early January.

WOuldn't the Bruins just waited it out with having to give up Krug+?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
WOuldn't the Bruins just waited it out with having to give up Krug+?

IMO on the open market without getting Shatty in early, there isn't a chance he goes there. If Shatty hits the pure open market, he is going to the Rags. Also possible Boston can't afford him without moving salary, and Shatty improves Boston during the season where the East is wide open and they could make a run in the playoffs.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Coaching has also gotten to the point where everything is so structured and nailed down that most players can't have the puck for more than a couple seconds at a time, at least 5v5. Clutch and grab hockey slowed the game down, but the systems in place then didn't put so much constant pressure on the puck.

Not only that, players are bigger, faster and better schooled in junior hockey as well.

The depth players are are a higher level than they've ever been and their job is to prevent the other team from creating scoring chances.

Everyone getting in shooting lanes is a big change compared to the past as well.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Yeah, you used it correctly and I completely agree.

Some have made the comparisons...I just don't see it. Kane given his body structure avoids contact. Foppa initiates it. 2 completely different ways of producing. Maybe, Kane is Foppa before puberty?

Haha Kane is definetly Foppa before bed wetting. The way they move in the o zone is very similiar though. Alot of feints and look offs to create that extra 1-2 foot of space to make a play. The difference is of course is Forsbergs tenacity. Another thing people seem to overlook is the fact forsberg was willing to take a hit to make a play. He would routinely draw 2 sometimes 3 guys to him leaving Kamensky, Peppe, Drury, Hejduk open. Been watching a ton of games from 97 and its quite amazing how often Kamensky and Peppe are left wide open.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I dont know why Edmonton isnt goin all in on Shatty.

Before the draft Friedman said Shattenkirk wouldn't sign an extension with the Oilers so the trade talks didn't really go anywhere. Others, who are less reliable, have said Shattenkirk might want to only play in the East. Those might just be false internet rumours though.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Yah I was able to watch all those guys in their prime. What a privilege. Peter Forsberg is a better hockey player than Sidney Crosby. I dont care what the numbers will say I watched them both. Sid is faster and has a better shot but thats about the only thing hes better than Pete at.

Peter is just a better player to watch. (That youtube clip of him, ive probably watched 3 or 4 times)
I mean for me at the end of the day thats all i care about.
Entertain Me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad