Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I'm not sure about that. I'm not necessarily advocating a Barrie trade, but with the lack of Top-4 Defenseman available in a trade it might cause a team to overpay for him.

What about us though? Our top 4?

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
What about us though? Our top 4?

All I said was that I wouldn't dismiss a Barrie trade out of hand because of Hamonic rescinding his request. If a team wants to overpay for him, you consider it (so long as you can execute a plan to fill his spot in the Top-4 somehow).

Plus, I still feel like there will be some decent-sized changes to this team in the offseason.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
All I said was that I wouldn't dismiss a Barrie trade out of hand because of Hamonic rescinding his request. If a team wants to overpay for him, you consider it (so long as you can execute a plan to fill his spot in the Top-4 somehow).

Plus, I still feel like there will be some decent-sized changes to this team in the offseason.

I know...but if another team is overpaying for Barrie because the D market is thin, we'll have to overpay as well to get someone decent back. It would be ideal if we had a very good defense and could sell high on Barrie but that's not the case, to say the least.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
That is hyperbole...

Which other one is as dismissive as this one? Do others post after every single time it's brought up that they've done something well "just remember they probably won't amount to much" or when giving sorely needed picks away "what percentage would that actually have turned into a NHL player"? Because I haven't seen it.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
No other fanbase believes less in drafting and development than this one. Can't really blame us, look how our organization has treated it, no real reason to believe otherwise. I agree listing off the decent ones doesn't mean we have a strong or even decent pool. That's why the quantity issue is so big, we just flat out need more picks and prospects. i get that hopes of today turn into disappointments of tomorrow but fans are just way too dismissive of the good ones we have. Other teams manage to actually turn out draft picks into players. I get not every one makes it but somehow these teams manage to accomplish something. No other team looks at their 2nd and 3rd round picks as no way those guys will ever do anything meaningful. Even if they end up AHL players that has value, it has to start somewhere. Not the oh this guy has a 10% of making it, that's not worth much.

I think the biggest issue with it I guess would be our track record. I mean the Avalanche have never really great drafters, but we've been good traders for the most part, and now that drafting has become so integral to team success in the cap world it's really starting to bite us in the ***. But like I said I think are drafting is starting to trend in the right direction and were starting to get more prospects that can hopefully make a difference in the future.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
With Barrie... the Avs should try to lock him up long-term and this is the offseason to do it. Barrie can't go to the extreme in arbitration (no real favorable comparables) and didn't have quite as good of offensive season as 14-15. If he can't be locked up this offseason for something somewhat reasonable... then a reasonable deal just isn't going to happen.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I know...but if another team is overpaying for Barrie because the D market is thin, we'll have to overpay as well to get someone decent back. It would be ideal if we had a very good defense and could sell high on Barrie but that's not the case, to say the least.

It would depend on other moves the Avs make. If they traded Barrie for a big haul, they may look to Demers/Russell on the UFA market (not necessarily ideal, but...) or they could look to make a Duchene trade centered around a Defenseman, or another move I haven't even thought of.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Which other one is as dismissive as this one? Do others post after every single time it's brought up that they've done something well "just remember they probably won't amount to much" or when giving sorely needed picks away "what percentage would that actually have turned into a NHL player"? Because I haven't seen it.

Lots of other team boards do that after trades. On this board, there is a lot of sarcasm and things said in jest. Taking everything literally would makes us sound incredibly jaded, but not everything is meant to be taken literally. As a board... we sometimes have 2 pages of pure sarcasm while talking about subjects.

Talking about draft percentages should be a part of evaluation of picks in trades. Hell, that is why 1st rounders are much more sought after than 4th rounders.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
the Avalanche have never really great drafters

On one hand you have people that think that the AVS were awful drafters and on the other hand, you have other people saying that the AVS never gave a damn about picks and proper player development. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle, hence the empty pipeline.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
A pipeline with Rantanen, Bigras, Zadorov, Compher, Meloche, Pickard, and Martin is far from empty and that doesn't take into account the young roster or the more risky prospects.

xbestboybandever

Jun 24, 2015
Even with Hamonic off the market, I think the Avs still need to deal Barrie. His value is high and they do not want to get into another bad contract dispute. There are lots of areas for the team to improve in and they will be able to rid themselves of the potential contract headache that is coming. I don't see Barrie bringing back a high profile defenseman, but he could bring back a top-6 winger, high draft pick, good prospects or any combo of the above. I just don't think he is worth the money he is going to get. I see him turning in to Matt Carle. We have other prospects in the pipeline that can fill Barrie's role and will potentially be better defenseman. Bigras, Meloche, and Butcher all have the potential to step in and be a more effective d-man. Personally, I think we send him to Edmonton and go get Matthew Tkachuk.

Last edited:

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Here's something that we can do:

1- Trade Barrie to Edmonton straight up for the #4 pick (Dubois)
2- Trade Duchene for a high end young dman, like Faulk.
3a) Trade our #10 pick to Toronto for JVR
or
3b) Sign top 6 UFA (Boedker, Okposo, Radulov...)

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
A pipeline with Rantanen, Bigras, Zadorov, Compher, Meloche, Pickard, and Martin is far from empty and that doesn't take into account the young roster or the more risky prospects.

I mean our pipeline isn't empty and it's better than what it was under the last regime( not exactly hard to beat to be fair) but it still doesn't scream elite NHL like a lot of other teams have. But as I said before our drafting has been trending in the right direction and that should help us a lot in the future.

xbestboybandever

Jun 24, 2015
Here's something that we can do:

1- Trade Barrie to Edmonton straight up for the #4 pick (Dubois)
2- Trade Duchene for a high end young dman, like Faulk.
3a) Trade our #10 pick to Toronto for JVR
or
3b) Sign top 6 UFA (Boedker, Okposo, Radulov...)

What if we keep Duchene... That then eliminates 3a and 3b.

So that we would trade Barrie for the 4th and select Dubois. Move Duchene to the wing with Mack for good once Dubois or Compher is ready. Try to sign Radulov. Select the BPA at 10 and go in to camp and let the young d-men try to win some jobs.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
What if we keep Duchene... That then eliminates 3a and 3b.

So that we would trade Barrie for the 4th and select Dubois. Move Duchene to the wing with Mack for good once Dubois or Compher is ready. Try to sign Radulov. Select the BPA at 10 and go in to camp and let the young d-men try to win some jobs.

We already have one of the worst D in the league with Barrie. Faulk is 24, on a friendly contract and would become our real #1 dman for a long time.

xbestboybandever

Jun 24, 2015
We already have one of the worst D in the league with Barrie. Faulk is 24, on a friendly contract and would become our real #1 dman for a long time.

That's also with Holden, Guenin, Bodnarchuk, and Redmond logging major minutes. There will be bumps and bruises, but going into the season with:

Beuch-Johnson
Bigras-Zads
Gelinas- Geertsen/Meloche

That's what our future needs to look like. Those players need to start playing. We aren't winning the cup this upcoming season, so we can let these guys develop in the pros. Plus Barrie didn't really help our defensive situation. He can move the puck and score points, which is great, and needed, but he can be miserable in the defensive zone. Plus if we commit to going forward with that, we could take a flier on a guy like Keller and see if he becomes a Patrick Kane-esque game breaker with Mack.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
That's also with Holden, Guenin, Bodnarchuk, and Redmond logging major minutes. There will be bumps and bruises, but going into the season with:

Beuch-Johnson
Bigras-Zads

That's what our future needs to look like. Those players need to start playing. We aren't winning the cup this upcoming season, so we can let these guys develop in the pros.

We shouldn't rush Geertsen or Meloche if they aren't NHL ready. That's the last thing we need. We need them to hit their potential and they probably aren't ready yet. It would be best for them to play top minutes in the AHL next year.

xbestboybandever

Jun 24, 2015
We shouldn't rush Geertsen or Meloche if they aren't NHL ready. That's the last thing we need. We need them to hit their potential and they probably aren't ready yet. It would be best for them to play top minutes in the AHL next year.

I don't disagree with that, there are inexpensive vets that can fill that hole or hell maybe Duncan Siemens is like Boychuk and just takes a little while to get going.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

Beuch-Johnson
Bigras-Zads

Johnson is a #2, Beauchemin at his age should play second pairing. Zad wasn't NHL caliber just last year while Bigras was OK at best but only for a small sample at the end of the season. Gelinas sucked and we don't know about the other 2.

Yeah, that will go well.

xbestboybandever

Jun 24, 2015
Johnson is a #2, Beauchemin at his age should play second pairing. Zad wasn't NHL caliber just last year while Bigras was OK at best but only for a small sample at the end of the season. Gelinas sucked and we don't know about the other 2.

Yeah, that will go well.

Gotta see what we have. These are the prospects in our pipeline and if they can't play then the team needs to address it. They can't stay prospects forever.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Gotta see what we have. These are the prospects in our pipeline and if they can't play then the team needs to address it. They can't stay prospects forever.

You don't load your defense with 4 prospects behind possibly the worst 1st pairing in the NHL. If we are going this route we might as well pull a Leafs, trade Varly and everyone over the age 25.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I mean our pipeline isn't empty and it's better than what it was under the last regime( not exactly hard to beat to be fair) but it still doesn't scream elite NHL like a lot of other teams have. But as I said before our drafting has been trending in the right direction and that should help us a lot in the future.

We need more picks to have elite players in the pipeline. That's just the cold reality of it.

Meloche is a MUCH better prospect than Geertsen btw.

Still calling opening night D as

Holden-Johnson
Zadorov-Beauchemin
Bigras-Gelinas/Stuart

Prove me otherwise, Avs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad