Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
But has he been given an ample opportunity on the top 2 lines anywhere at NHL level to prove / disprove that theory?

He started on the top lines in 12/13 in Edmonton. He score 31 points in 48 games. He was then shuffled down the lines as more number one / two / three overall draft players came in. That's good for 53 points over 82 games (Mackinnon got 63).

I believe with a completely fresh / new mindset, and a good coach who develops, he goes to the next level, and wouldn't look at all out of place here.

Any player grinding it out on the 4th line (look at Iggy's production this year compared to previous), you're not going to do as well.

Also, draft well (maybe the top defensemen in this years draft) if we got their 4th overall, you potentially get a franchise D-man. Would you take a franchise D-man and a potential top 6 for Barrie? I certainly would.

Wait...so you'll lambast Grigorenko and his 13 minutes of ice time last year, happily ignoring that he was a massive project after the Sabres ruined him, but you'll make plaintive excuses for Yakupov, labelling him a project who deserves an actual chance, who was shuffled down multiple lines and not granted consistent linemates, etc., while suggesting he deserves consistent time on top 6 lines, a chance you don't think Grigorenko deserves at all, but instead advocate just how much better the likes of John Mitchell and Shawn Matthias are? Well if that isn't hypocrisy, I don't know what is. You realize everything you just said is what I, and others, have been advocating for Grigorenko, but is something you've blatantly ignored / stomped all over, right?

Just so you know, Yakupov got over 14 minutes of ice time last year, and put up fewer points than Grigorenko. His most played with linesmates were Letestu, McDavid, and Pouliot.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
But has he been given an ample opportunity on the top 2 lines anywhere at NHL level to prove / disprove that theory?

He started on the top lines in 12/13 in Edmonton. He score 31 points in 48 games. He was then shuffled down the lines as more number one / two / three overall draft players came in. That's good for 53 points over 82 games (Mackinnon got 63).

I believe with a completely fresh / new mindset, and a good coach who develops, he goes to the next level, and wouldn't look at all out of place here.

Any player grinding it out on the 4th line (look at Iggy's production this year compared to previous), you're not going to do as well.

Also, draft well (maybe the top defensemen in this years draft) if we got their 4th overall, you potentially get a franchise D-man. Would you take a franchise D-man and a potential top 6 for Barrie? I certainly would.

Also, at his best - PA was pretty awesome mate - didn't he get 67 points or so one season? That's 8 more points than our very best player this year. he also got 76 points, in 103 games for us.

They wouldn't take a defenceman with the 4th pick, it'd be Dubois.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

To quote the recent Sportsnet article on Yak:

So how can Yakupov help a team? In order for him to be at his best, he has to be the worst player on his line, meaning he needs to play with two legitimate top-six forwards, preferably one who are strong on defence.

So he has to play:

A) on one of the top 2 lines (like I said)
and
B) With good 2-way players

That's as unidimensional as it comes.

Full article on Yakupov available here:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/get-nail-yakupov/

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
He really should go to PIT. Play him with either of the greatest players of ALL TIME

I think he might find his way there, but was thinking he'd fit in Boston with Marchand and Bergeron. Can't imagine him getting much more protection than on that line.

When I was tinkering around looking at teams with multiple 1st round picks, Boston GM seems pretty active and is missing most of his middle round draft picks. Edmonton has 3 3rds and Boston has SJ's 1st, I could see where a deal could get done.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I thought Pepin had a chance? Did he have a bad year in the Q?

Wasn't Pepin one of those huge ceiling but big risk players? Seems like he had all the tools to be a good player, but couldn't put it all together at the professional level.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
No O'Reilly trade, they still have Bigras, Geertsen, Meloche, Beaudin, Mironov, Nantel, Boikov, and Martin who are all solid prospects, and better both in terms of quality and quantity than their prior prospect pool.

I'd like to see the evidence that supports this statement.

We as a group have an unfortunate tendency to shoot off prospect lists like this, describe said lists (and the players within) as "solid" or "promising" or whatever other platitude comes to mind, only to watch just about the whole damn list disappear into hockey obscurity a few short years later.

I'd wager that one of those players becomes a meaningful NHL guy someday. Perhaps two, if fortune is really on our side this time (and the list doesn't get traded away for deadline rentals over the next two seasons). That's it....

.....until we come up with a new list of "can't miss"/"solid"/"better than the last batch" prospects a couple of years from now.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I'd like to see the evidence that supports this statement.

We as a group have an unfortunate tendency to shoot off prospect lists like this, describe said lists (and the players within) as "solid" or "promising" or whatever other platitude comes to mind, only to watch just about the whole damn list disappear into hockey obscurity a few short years later.

I'd wager that one of those players becomes a meaningful NHL guy someday. Perhaps two, if fortune is really on our side this time (and the list doesn't get traded away for deadline rentals over the next two seasons). That's it....

.....until we come up with a new list of "can't miss"/"solid"/"better than the last batch" prospects a couple of years from now.

Can't agree more. Geertsen and Meloche have the best chance of being NHL'ers but out of all those do any of them really have us saying they could be a core player for us in the future? I mean maybe Meloche but thats still to be seen. I don't see that big a difference between the two prospect pools. I mean on the best prospect pools thread in the polls section, the OP said they had a hard time finding 5 good prospects for the Avs. I think our drafting is trending in the right direction, but our prospect depth is still terrible.

Last edited:

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I thought Pepin had a chance? Did he have a bad year in the Q?

Based on my viewings in the Q playoffs when I saw him live, I think the Avs should give him a contract but they probably have more inside info into that player than I ever could with him having attended training camp the past 2 years.

If they don't sign him, there's likely a very good reason.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Wasn't Pepin one of those huge ceiling but big risk players? Seems like he had all the tools to be a good player, but couldn't put it all together at the professional level.

Not sure about the "huge ceiling" part but he was seen as a big (kind of slow) physical forward with very decent hockey IQ. I think his ceiling was a good 3rd liner.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Not sure about the "huge ceiling" part but he was seen as a big (kind of slow) physical forward with very decent hockey IQ. I think his ceiling was a good 3rd liner.

OK, I was thinking he had a ceiling of a good second liner, but had some issues with skating and some mental stuff that were kind of hampering him.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Now that Hamonic is off the market, it's safe to assume that we can't really trade Barrie.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Based on my viewings in the Q playoffs when I saw him live, I think the Avs should give him a contract but they probably have more inside info into that player than I ever could with him having attended training camp the past 2 years.

If they don't sign him, there's likely a very good reason.

He's not one of their favorites is pretty much the reason. He had a decent year that should have lead to an ATO with the Rampage for their due diligence at minimum but that didn't happen.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Now that Hamonic is off the market, it's safe to assume that we can't really trade Barrie.

I'm not sure about that. I'm not necessarily advocating a Barrie trade, but with the lack of Top-4 Defenseman available in a trade it might cause a team to overpay for him.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Barrie's value could potentially go up, though.

The market is thin so it's good for his value. Problem is, we are buyers too. With Barrie in the lineup we need another top 4 dman, without Barrie we need 2 more.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Can't agree more. Geertsen and Meloche have the best chance of being NHL'ers but out of all those do any of them really have us saying they could be a core player for us in the future? I mean maybe Meloche but thats still to be seen. I don't see that big a difference between the two prospect pools. I mean on the best prospect pools thread in the polls section, the OP said they had a hard time finding 5 good prospects for the Avs. I think our drafting is trending in the right direction, but our prospect depth is still terrible.

No other fanbase believes less in drafting and development than this one. Can't really blame us, look how our organization has treated it, no real reason to believe otherwise. I agree listing off the decent ones doesn't mean we have a strong or even decent pool. That's why the quantity issue is so big, we just flat out need more picks and prospects. i get that hopes of today turn into disappointments of tomorrow but fans are just way too dismissive of the good ones we have. Other teams manage to actually turn out draft picks into players. I get not every one makes it but somehow these teams manage to accomplish something. No other team looks at their 2nd and 3rd round picks as no way those guys will ever do anything meaningful. Even if they end up AHL players that has value, it has to start somewhere. Not the oh this guy has a 10% of making it, that's not worth much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia