Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbestboybandever

Jun 24, 2015
You don't load your defense with 4 prospects behind possibly the worst 1st pairing in the NHL. If we are going this route we might as well trade Varly and everyone over the age 25.

But trading Duchene will create the same hole in our forward group. IF we drafted Dubois, you can't expect him to contribute right away, Soberberg is better served as a 3C and Compher is coming out of college. I agree that shoring up our D is extraordinarily important, but I just think that seeing how the prospects react is the best way to figure out what our team has. Bigras did well in his time up, Zads started putting it together in the AHL and looked good at times and bad at others, Gelinas got hurt, but if he's not logging 20 minutes a game we should be okay and that 6th spot can be filled in a myriad of ways. Who knows what the prospects are going to do out of camp. I don't see any point in spending big money and term on guys like Demers or Russell because they just aren't worth it. Our D is young, but there is no instant solution to it.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
A pipeline with Rantanen, Bigras, Zadorov, Compher, Meloche, Pickard, and Martin is far from empty and that doesn't take into account the young roster or the more risky prospects.

What are you talkin about Henchy. All of those players are all garbage, otherwise they would've carried us past a garbage Minnesota team into the postseason...

xbestboybandever

Jun 24, 2015
We need more picks to have elite players in the pipeline. That's just the cold reality of it.

Meloche is a MUCH better prospect than Geertsen btw.

Still calling opening night D as

Holden-Johnson
Zadorov-Beauchemin
Bigras-Gelinas/Stuart

Prove me otherwise, Avs.

I don't disagree that Meloche is much better than Geertsen, but Geertsen would be better served in that 6th d-man slot. Give Meloche top pairing time in San Antonio and then run with it.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Here's something that we can do:

1- Trade Barrie to Edmonton straight up for the #4 pick (Dubois)
2- Trade Duchene for a high end young dman, like Faulk.
3a) Trade our #10 pick to Toronto for JVR
or
3b) Sign top 6 UFA (Boedker, Okposo, Radulov...)

...At least in this scenario Mikko would get better linemates as our 3C...:help:

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
We need more picks to have elite players in the pipeline. That's just the cold reality of it.

Holden-Johnson
Zadorov-Beauchemin
Bigras-Gelinas/Stuart

Prove me otherwise, Avs.

Yea, if Meloche continues to develop as he has he could definitely be a Bigras level prospect.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yea, if Meloche continues to develop as he has he could definitely be a Bigras level prospect.

Do you not even remember a year ago? When Bigras wasn't likely to amount to much and we were all just over-rating him?

The fact that he magically managed to do what was expected of him in the NHL shouldn't be used to argue that some other high end prospect who's developing well is going to similarly manage to magically continue developing into an NHLer.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

Define elite... It is difficult to get elite players not drafting out of the top 3... That gets very, very difficult out of the top 40-45. The Avs haven't had many pieces to give up for picks in the top 40. ROR was one and got one of those picks.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland

Holden-Johnson
Zadorov-Beauchemin
Bigras-Gelinas/Stuart

Prove me otherwise, Avs.

You're thinking Barrie gets traded for a forward, or for picks/prospects?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Do you not even remember a year ago? When Bigras wasn't likely to amount to much and we were all just over-rating him?

The fact that he magically managed to do what was expected of him in the NHL shouldn't be used to argue that some other high end prospect who's developing well is going to similarly manage to magically continue developing into an NHLer.

We are still overrating him. Remember that time he played with EJ and sucked? He needs to go back to the AHL.

Define elite... It is difficult to get elite players not drafting out of the top 3... That gets very, very difficult out of the top 40-45. The Avs haven't had many pieces to give up for picks in the top 40. ROR was one and got one of those picks.

Not sure, whoever said elite. I know most of those come from multiple picks in the first round and many of those teams are doing so again. Rich get richer.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Despite being so young, Meloche is only required to play one more year in the Q before he can go to SAR, correct?

Also, I happened to click on his brother... 5" and 45lbs is a huge difference....especially when the younger brother is the bigger one.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Bigras with Barrie then or Gelinas.

Actually if I had to bet I don't think Barrie gets traded.

The worst case scenario with Barrie is if they just sign him to a two year deal like they did with O'Reilly for something in the 5-6 million range. Really hoping Barrie will sign a Hamilton-like contract long term, but we'll see.

If he does get traded, I really think it's to Edmonton for the 4th+Fayne or something along those lines.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
No other fanbase believes less in drafting and development than this one.

No other fanbase believes less, or no other NHL organization believes less?

I believe we as a fan base are very interested in drafting/development - once the draft picks are made. IMO, where we seem to be dismissive, is when discussing the value of the picks themselves prior to prospects being attached to those picks.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
No other fanbase, or no other NHL organization?

I believe we as a fan base are very interested in drafting/development - once the draft picks are made. IMO, where we seem to be dismissive, is when discussing the value of the picks themselves prior to prospects being attached to those picks.

There is a portion of this fanbase that seems really flippant about it / will come up with any excuse to justify losing picks / prospects / not trading for them. I think that is what TV was referring to.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
That Hamonic news sucks for everyone chasing him. Good for him and his family though.

That dream is dead and Drouin is headed in that direction as well.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Holden-Johnson
Zadorov-Beauchemin
Bigras-Gelinas/Stuart

Prove me otherwise, Avs.

I agree! But I know they tend to be the most talked about D prospects other than Z and Bigras. Hopefully the drafting carries on from our last draft which actually seemed like a pretty good draft and we can fill the pipeline with more prospects.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Not sure, whoever said elite. I know most of those come from multiple picks in the first round and many of those teams are doing so again. Rich get richer.

I must be failing to understand what you mean... you want to gather picks, but to get elite players, the Avs have to have good pieces to part with and get the high picks. Even teams that have multiple first round picks very rarely get elite players with both picks (many are lucky to get one).

To get elite players, typically teams have to be towards the very top of the draft. If you want to build an elite prospect pool, you have to keep players down (something the Avs typically haven't done... this year they kept them down when they normally wouldn't have). Those are two different things. The Avs could keep Rantanen and Bigras in the AHL next year and the prospect pool would look better on paper, but what point does that really serve?

There is a portion of this fanbase that seems really flippant about it / will come up with any excuse to justify losing picks / prospects / not trading for them. I think that is what TV was referring to.

Some also think that trading a 3rd round pick means the Avs don't care about prospects or the future. There is middle ground here and things don't have to be so black and white when it comes to building a team.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
If Holden is gonna be promoted to top pair next year, i really hope the #1 overall pick is a good one in next year's draft

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Someone said it would be nice to have an elite pipeline, they can explain what they meant by it.

I brought up the elite pipeline comment and I probably worded it incorrectly. Someone else brought up some of our prospects in our pipeline and how it's better than it was with the old regime. I responded by saying it's better but not still good considering how few of them there are. Pretty much I was saying we need to draft better/get more picks to help our prospect pipeline become more than realistically Meloche and Rantanen.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
No other fanbase believes less, or no other NHL organization believes less?

More the opposite. People see the value in picks but when they become Avs property unless the just explode immediately then they won't turn out to be anything. And a lot of those cues come from the org

I've said it enough that it's not that I don't think the Avs value development at all, it's that they have their select few that the value and the rest is fodder. So it's true they haven't traded a first for a rental or traded someone like Rantanen but it's a pretty damn high bar for the org to care about someone. That and they change their mind quickly or make up their mind quickly on guys. Billington was going around to the SA STH talking up Roman Will. They thought Everberg and Rendulic were their best prospects a year ago. There's a lot that goes into my opinion of these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino