Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) ‎ ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Oh man, something might actually be happening.

Bergevin just pushed back the press conference he was supposed to have shortly.

EDIT: Maybe not, I dont see any tweets about the presser being delayed, might have been a friend of mine jumping the gun.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I dont think theres a lot separating a lot of the Dmen after the first 4 or 5.

Doughty, Karlsson, OEL, Hedman, and Keith are far and away my Top 5. A sizable gap after those guys.

Then, for me at least I have Suter, Vlasic, McDonagh, Letang, Burns, ahead of him, although its close between these guys and they can flip flop a decent amount over the course of a season.

So right now Subban is #11 for me. But with guys like Faulk, Lindholm, Brodie, Ekblad, and Klingberg all very quickly on the rise, I'm not sure how long he'd stay at that spot for me. Although he'll probably pass Suter, Keith, and Burns pretty soon at least.

I just find his style to be way to reckless, especially in his own zone. He can bring some solid offense but you never know what to expect on Defense. I want my #1D to be very consistent and reliable in his own zone. Karlsson and OEL may not be elite Defensively but you at least have a very good idea of what to expect game in and game out with them. I dont feel the same way about Subban at all when it comes to Defensive play.

Exactly, I feel like he floats without the puck way too much, and has almost no idea what to do with himself when he does not have it. He disappears for long stretches when I watch him, and then pops up making a stupid ill advised pinch that puts his team on their heels.

You can basically hit repeat, and that's what you'll see most of the night until he pulls off some miracle point shot and rushing play once or twice a night. There is way too much hype around him IMO.

With all this said, I'm not one who on completely on this bandwagon of offensive defenders are the most important thing since the invention of the wheel, so **** it if they can't give you solid defense.

I do not believe Erik Karlsson is the best defender in the NHL, and there is a ******** amount of people who believe that IMO.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
The press conference was first pushed to 6, and then to 6:15. Montreal is definitely in serious talks.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Now MB has pushed back the press conference to 6:15 eastern....HAS to be serious trade talks with someone.

The delay does seem to add some smoke.

tumblr_mkxxxisIUb1qc04l9o1_500.gif

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I don't think we can really trade for Subban. We'd just be making a hole in one position for another (actually two holes if it's our best centre in Duchene and potentially our best winger in Rantanen). Go with that 10th overall pick and just go for the best imo along with trying to get an FA, the value of all our key pieces is underrated anyways.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Exactly, I feel like he floats without the puck way too much, and has almost no idea what to do with himself when he does not have it. He disappears for long stretches when I watch him, and then pops up making a stupid ill advised pinch that puts his team on their heels.

You can basically hit repeat, and that's what you'll see most of the night until he pulls off some miracle point shot and rushing play once or twice a night. There is way too much hype around him IMO.

With all this said, I'm not one who on completely on this bandwagon of offensive defenders are the most important thing since the invention of the wheel, so **** it if they can't give you solid defense.

I do not believe Erik Karlsson is the best defender in the NHL, and there is a ******** amount of people who believe that IMO.

Agreed entirely. I want my #1D to be very good in his own zone and consistently good. I just dont see Subban doing that on a consistent enough basis. That's why I prefer a guy like McDonagh or Vlasic. They wont ever produce as much as Subban, but part of that is because they aren't nearly as reckless as him and are always making the safe smart plays instead of trying to create something out of nothing and potentially costing the team.

Also, found the source:

Avs44

May 16, 2011
My big fear is the cost is Duchene and Barrie. From Montreal's perspective, why do they want picks? Montreal only has a window as long as Price is around. The 4th overall, 10th overall...Dubois or Keller / Brown / Sergachev, whoever, will take years to develop, by which time Pacioretty and Price will be past their primes. Picks just make no sense here.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Dreger just speculated about what a deal between Colorado/Montreal would look like. He says it would have to include Duchene or Landeskog plus something, plus something else.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Subban, for his faults, is a huge upgrade over Barrie and is a legit top 2 dman. Duchene is better than Nuge, but unlike Barrie v Subban, Nuge imo still has potential to catch up to Duchene. Plus it is easier to make up ground up front than on D.

Mmm... I'd be fine with the trade but that new combination would better work a lot better since we don't even get to draft high to add another talent in. It has the potential to work though, yeah.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Dreger just speculated about what a deal between Colorado/Montreal would look like. He says it would have to include Duchene or Landeskog plus something, plus something else.

Duchene is a very valuable piece himself. As is Landy. I can't see it taking Duchene/Landy two adds from our side to get Subban. That would be an overpayment, in my opinion, and I have a very high opinion of PK. I would go Duchene + Barrie, but we would need 9th overall coming back from the Habs for me to do it.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
My big fear is the cost is Duchene and Barrie. From Montreal's perspective, why do they want picks? Montreal only has a window as long as Price is around. The 4th overall, 10th overall...Dubois or Keller / Brown / Sergachev, whoever, will take years to develop, by which time Pacioretty and Price will be past their primes. Picks just make no sense here.

The Montreal media has been talking about Dubois for a week now. Apparently Bergevin really wants him. A big, talented C from the Q is Montreal's wet dream.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Duchene and Barrie followed by Varly for a some good pieces. Avs would be Nashville like with their defensive core.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I'd much rather go after someone like Mcdonagh or Faulk considering the price. Don't like the idea of having Subban as our no.1 at all.

I agree here about Faulk. I'm a huge fan and think he will improve a great deal over the next couple seasons.

The cost of likely 1 big asset vs multiple big assets I like better too.

i'd only take doughty and karlsson over him. some others are are arguably better now but wouldn't take them over subban as he's much younger than those guys and/or better contract situation, more upside left etc.

hedman could be one of those guys but he's UFA in a year and will probably get similar contract. i think subban has potential to play at higher level and imo only doughty and maybe keith has played at higher level than subban from 13-15 in playoffs. save the rangers series in '14 where he was gassed.

Doughty, EK, Hedman easily for me. Faulk, OEL and Josi are on my close list mostly due to contracts.

I like PK, but not sure enough to pay him twice what some of those other guys make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad