Speculation: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Related Topics 2016-17 Part XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
No the difference was that AM/Nylander/Marner are star players while Kadri's a high-end 2nd liner and Bozak & JVR are support players who do little if they aren't scoring (especially JVR). Plus they added in a top-4 dman and got a bunch of energetic support players into the lineup and they weren't as bad last season as we are here.

I just don't see how we can make up a 20+ point gap to the rest of the league with just slightly better conditioning and another rookie or two added in. You gotta change much more than that to start getting on the right track. We're behind where the Leafs were in 2015-16 imo, we don't have the high-end talent they have or the depth in our prospect pool that they have and we need to start rebuilding to catch-up. The 2018 draft along with this pick could make a huge difference with that if they play their cards right.

We'll have Varly like we haven't most of this season
We'll have Zadorov, like we didn't most of the season
We've only had Jost for 5 games
We've only had Grimaldi for 4 games
We've only had Lindholm for 12 games
Depth players like Butcher, Greer, Bigras, Siemens may be available
Top 2-3 pick may be available to play (maybe Nolan Patrick)
We've only had J T Compher for 20 games
Barberio and Nieto have only played 1/2 a season with us
Andrighetto has only played 18 games with us
Assume there is going to be a trade with Duchene for a big name D-man

Mate, looking at that, Bednar can have a full off season of building a machine VASTLY different to the one he was offered THIS season.

I'm thinking we lose: Grigorenko (unfortunately), Bourque, Tyutin, Wiercioch, Mitchell & Goloubef (as well as Iginla, Mcleod from the start of the season).

We most certainly aren't keeping things the same - massive overhaul regardless of how you look at it. I think we'll be surprise packets next season. Will surprise a few.

Columbus Blue Jackets. You heard it here first :yo:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I was actually sharing in your optimism for next season, SE, until Sakic said Bednar's job was safe. I'm probably going to cancel my season tickets on Monday. The *only* reason to keep Bednar around is to tank for Dahlin, and I don't want to go to the games to watch Bednar scramble his lines, put whatever Mitchell equivalent we sign this summer out for O-zone faceoffs, hand Beauchemin important minutes, and bury good players because he doesn't like their face or whatever. I'm not even sure which of those angers me most. Yes, the roster will be better, but until Bednar is gone this team will not leave the basement.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
We'll have Varly like we haven't most of this season
We'll have Zadorov, like we didn't most of the season
We've only had Jost for 5 games
We've only had Grimaldi for 4 games
We've only had Lindholm for 12 games
Depth players like Butcher, Greer, Bigras, Siemens may be available
Top 2-3 pick may be available to play (maybe Nolan Patrick)
We've only had J T Compher for 20 games
Barberio and Nieto have only played 1/2 a season with us
Andrighetto has only played 18 games with us
Assume there is going to be a trade with Duchene for a big name D-man

Mate, looking at that, Bednar can have a full off season of building a machine VASTLY different to the one he was offered THIS season.

I'm thinking we lose: Grigorenko (unfortunately), Bourque, Tyutin, Wiercioch, Mitchell & Goloubef (as well as Iginla, Mcleod from the start of the season).

We most certainly aren't keeping things the same - massive overhaul regardless of how you look at it. I think we'll be surprise packets next season. Will surprise a few.

Columbus Blue Jackets. You heard it here first :yo:

:laugh:

Not sure what's funnier, baseless optimism or saying losing Grigorenko is unfortunate.

Last edited:

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
I`m sure Grigorenko will be a total blast in the next season, tearing the league records apart.

the KHL, I mean. Grigorenko - Kovar - Wolski will be beautiful.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Maybe keeping Bednar is a sign that they won't do something crazy and try to improve at all cost. Hopefully we fill the team with kids, improve team spirit, and see some progression.

I just want to see a team that tries and is energetic, even if we end up bottom 5 like I expect.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I think going young and hungry is definitely the right path, but Sakic is going to have to take away the veteran options if he actually wants that to happen. It means definitely letting Bourque, Mitchell, and Tyutin walk as UFAs and essentially walking away from Gelinas and Wiercioch. I think that the Avs should give serious thought to buying out Beauchemin, although I am not holding out hope. The Avs may have to ride out the single contract year remaining for Colborne, Comeau, and FB.

I guess my point is that if you give Bednar the option of a veteran player, this year has shown that he will play them, regardless of their level of play.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
“We’re already working on our training camp, number one, and our offseason conditioning program,” Bednar said. “Our testing come training camp time is going to be more intense and there’s going to be a lot more to it — both on-ice testing, off-ice testing.”

He said the goal will be for players, including prospects in the organization, to spend more time in Denver in the offseason.

“We’re putting together this whole program we’ll be finalizing over this next week or so as we go into exit meetings,” Bednar said. “We’ll have guys come back in for a week at a time to train with those guys, kind of bring our team closer together, build a culture that we want going into next season, make our group tighter. And also, we want to be one of the best-conditioned teams. Every team says it, but we have to start moving our team in the right direction.”
-Denverpost

I like this.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't care that much about Bednar one way or the other. He won't be here forever, he won't be here when we are ready to twe the next step. I don't think the way he wants to play with pace and fast legs is a bad thing, it looks better when he's playing that way and with those players. Who cares if he pissed off crappy vet plugs. Maybe there's a reason they suck. Every coach has their favorites, plus im pretty sure Beauch is an org favorite. He's given the kids a chance and hasn't buried them on the 4th line. He could have scratched Jost like Keller was scratched in AZ. I'm not defending him per se, he could be fired tomorrow for all I care but there's many things I want or need them to change or do before he comes up on my list.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The team started the season pretty solid. They were competitive every night. But once the slide started, it was irreversible. If we're gong to keep Bednar, the first ~20 games will give me some hope, but it's impossible to forget the last 62. If Sakic and Co. believe Bednar isn't to blame, I'd like to know who they think is responsible, and how they plan to fix it. We may suck next year, but the org can't accept that in the prior offseason. There has to be an effort to pull things together and rid ourselves of any causes of this collapse.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I don't care that much about Bednar one way or the other. He won't be here forever, he won't be here when we are ready to twe the next step. I don't think the way he wants to play with pace and fast legs is a bad thing, it looks better when he's playing that way and with those players. Who cares if he pissed off crappy vet plugs. Maybe there's a reason they suck. Every coach has their favorites, plus im pretty sure Beauch is an org favorite. He's given the kids a chance and hasn't buried them on the 4th line. He could have scratched Jost like Keller was scratched in AZ. I'm not defending him per se, he could be fired tomorrow for all I care but there's many things I want or need them to change or do before he comes up on my list.

What a ridiculous thing to say...of course, I'm not surprised you feel that way.

He pretty much lost the entire room with how he treated multiple players this year, but from the bolded statement, it would seem that you don't care about that.

Unless Bednar has some sort of epiphany/rude awakening in the off-season, he's got to drastically change how he approaches the mental side of the game for these players. AHL mind-tricks aren't going to work on NHL players.

Not to mention, every NHL team needs veteran players to round out the lineup, that's the way it is, so it also matters because the Avs won't want to have their reputation tarnished anymore than it already has (and it has been tarnished around the league). But I guess all that matters is that they're playing the kids, right?

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
I think going young and hungry is definitely the right path, but Sakic is going to have to take away the veteran options if he actually wants that to happen. It means definitely letting Bourque, Mitchell, and Tyutin walk as UFAs and essentially walking away from Gelinas and Wiercioch. I think that the Avs should give serious thought to buying out Beauchemin, although I am not holding out hope. The Avs may have to ride out the single contract year remaining for Colborne, Comeau, and FB.

I guess my point is that if you give Bednar the option of a veteran player, this year has shown that he will play them, regardless of their level of play.

I don't know that is 100% true. Beauch, who knows. There is no reason for him to be playing more than 10 minutes a night sheltered for what he showed. Especially considering lots of his mistakes are because the game is too fast for him. More minutes just makes his that much worse.

I have said this before about Comeau, but he plays the way Bednar wants his guys to play. He forchecks aggressive, and gets in on the defenseman. That is why he was played more than some of the others. And I am well aware he takes 15% of our penalties and most are stupid. Grig, Colborne, Soda are all passive hockey players, and Bednar has no use for them. I am going to assume that Sakic will be trying to build the team around the type of players Bednar wants.

This years roster was a VERY badly assembled team.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Folks, I know tensions are running high after this crappy season, as well as our general distrust of our front office. With that in mind, I know there's going to be a lot of differing opinions, but let's try to keep it civil and not take shots at each other.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
No we aren't gonna be on the playoff bubble lmao. You have to play like .500 hockey to be on the playoff bubble, a 20 point improvement would still have had us around last place this year lol (though next year with the Dahlin sweepstakes, teams might tank harder).

Yeah sorry I don't see 70+ pts unless 60% of the roster is changed or the whole coaching staff is changed (better conditioning is not gonna solve the team's mental problems or lack of skill in things like passing). I would still expect us to be in the bottom 3 or 4 there, other teams in our conference have a lot coming in and some of these like Arizona and Vancouver are gonna start getting more prospect contributions.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I don't see anything wrong with people hoping for the optimistic side of things, better than the typical 'sky is falling' mentality of this forum that it seems to have quite often. IMO we won't be a bubble team, But I think we'll be better than bottom 5 and a more exciting team with all our youth.

However like others have said, let's keep it civil, don't attack people. It's sad that this has to be said.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I don't know why there isn't some reason for optimism about next season. Sure, the Avs might not be that great, but it can't be as bad as this season.

And before the summer has even started we already know a few exciting things:

-Andrighetto is an NHL player who clicks with MacKinnon.
-Rantanen looks great, and is loved by Bednar.
-Jost and Compher will both be on the team.
-Bednar likes Zadorov, and we saw his game grow exponentially.
-There will probably be another shiny new toy forward picked in the top-4 and on the roster.

Lots to look forward to.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I forget where i read this but someone said the difference between this new core of leafs vs the old one is that while the Kadri, Bozak, JVR core wilted under pressure the new core of AM, Nylander, Marner push back ...and they did it tonight again too.

Maybe we can build the same

I remember when our core wouldn't wilt...and then Tyson took a Cook to the knee...

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I don't know why there isn't some reason for optimism about next season. Sure, the Avs might not be that great, but it can't be as bad as this season.

-There will probably be another shiny new toy forward picked in the top-4 and on the roster.

Lots to look forward to.

The upcoming Duchene trade and what we'll get back is what I look forward the most. We need to add at least 2 significant D pieces and the 1st one should come from there.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
The upcoming Duchene trade and what we'll get back is what I look forward the most. We need to add at least 2 significant D pieces and the 1st one should come from there.

Agreed. Until then we have the lottery to look forward to, and then the expansion draft lists, and then the expansion draft. Will be exciting to see who the Avs shed.

Part of me really hopes Sakic pulls out a miracle and lands Shattenkirk on July 1st. I know it is against the get younger and rebuild, but damn would it be nice to watch all the young forwards be directed on the power play by one of the best PPQBs in the NHL. His game should also hold up better than any Avs defenceman because it's based on intelligence, passing, and getting pucks on net as opposed to being a giant (EJ) or having infinite stamina (Barrie). And I really do think Sakic will be aggressive in pursuit of Shattenkirl/Alzner and to a lesser extent Kulikov/Stone/Del Zotto.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

Lots to look forward to.

+ most of the deadweight will probably be gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA