Speculation: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Related Topics 2016-17 Part XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
So when it comes to college UFA's...

For some the thinking is "how do you know they haven't been aggressive and just haven't been able to sign anybody because it is all about where that player wants to play".

And for others, it is "this FO is clueless and I doubt they even try that hard...or at the very least, they aren't willing to go so far as other teams in offering incentives to these free agents to entice them".

Didn't somebody post something at the end of last off-season that we are one of the very few franchises that hasn't signed a college free agent in the last "x" years? I could be totally making that up but for some reason that rings true in my head...and if so, then the proof is in the pudding in terms of utilizing this talent pool as a resource to inject more depth into the franchise. I will say the attempts at utilizing European free agents as a pool have been better...even though we let the wrong one go back to Europe (Everbeast) and have struck out on a bunch of other attempts. At least they are trying on that front.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Easy to tell it's March. Everybody complaining about the Avs not signing college FA's even though the only two that turned into anything decent since Bozak was Kevin Hayes and Dekeyser who the Avs apparently actually came close to landing.

I understand they're free assets but it's pretty annoying to see fans complaining every year about the Avs not signing 23/24 year olds who are good at the NCAA level.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Easy to tell it's March. Everybody complaining about the Avs not signing college FA's even though the only two that turned into anything decent since Bozak was Kevin Hayes and Dekeyser who the Avs apparently actually came close to landing.

I understand they're free assets but it's pretty annoying to see fans complaining every year about the Avs not signing 23/24 year olds who are good at the NCAA level.

Krug, Tanev, DeKeyser, Vesey looks decent...not sure if I count Schultz but he's turned it around in the ideal situation. It's worth taking a shot at them.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
How is Crouse worth more than a second? Just based on the trade that happened between Florida and Arizona (Bolland, Crouse, first for a second and third) that was a year ago so unless Florida just undervalued Crouse significantly or really really wanted to get out of Bolland, but honestly just based on the trade I would think that a first and Bolland and a third coming back is one side of the trade where the second for Crouse was the second part, but maybe I'm way off. Either way I dont think Churychn and a first for Duchene is any more ridiculous than some of the other trades Sakic has been said to have asked for.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA

In any given particular year? Probably not a big deal. But add it all up over the last 5 years and yeah, it frustrates me. A low frustration compared to other areas sure but its worth pointing out.

To say this team couldn't have benefited from a Matt Benning or Troy Stetcher addition on the blue line or the addition of a Drake Caggiula or Brandon Tanev up front when we are trotting out the trash we do seems a bit rich. That's just guys from last summer. There are a whole lot more contributing NHL players out there for much better teams than us picked up for the cost of an entry level contract in the last 7 or 8 years than just Kevin Hayes and DeKeyser.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Krug, Tanev, DeKeyser, Vesey looks decent...not sure if I count Schultz but he's turned it around in the ideal situation. It's worth taking a shot at them.

I ninja edited to add Dekeyser to my post :laugh:

But you're right. I overlooked Krug and Tanev. I actually didn't realize Tanev was even a college player.

Vesey wasn't a march signing. He was a kid with a head too big to stay loyal to the team that drafted him.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Teams have had some pretty good luck with college FAs in the recent past. It's worth trying. I'd be fine with burning an ELC year, I'm just wary of the roster promises.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I personally like the idea of going after UFA's from overseas far more. Names like Panarin and Zaitsev are far more impactful than Bozak and Dekeyser. Even shooting low and going for guys like Martinsen and Everberg are better signings than most NCAA UFA's

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I don't see much of a reason for college free agents to sign here right now. It's not like the Avs can offer more money and there's probably just as much of an opportunity to move up quickly on some other teams. Every team is going younger and looking to add more cheap talent to their roster. Also, the Rampage might even be more of a mess than the Avs so that can't be too appealing.

xbestboybandever

Jun 24, 2015
In any given particular year? Probably not a big deal. But add it all up over the last 5 years and yeah, it frustrates me. A low frustration compared to other areas sure but its worth pointing out.

To say this team couldn't have benefited from a Matt Benning or Troy Stetcher addition on the blue line or the addition of a Drake Caggiula or Brandon Tanev up front when we are trotting out the trash we do seems a bit rich. That's just guys from last summer. There are a whole lot more contributing NHL players out there for much better teams than us picked up for the cost of an entry level contract in the last 7 or 8 years than just Kevin Hayes and DeKeyser.

Again, those players are all FA's that can choose where they wish to play. Just because players don't choose to sign here doesn't mean the FO isn't trying.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I don't see much of a reason for college free agents to sign here right now. It's not like the Avs can offer more money and there's probably just as much of an opportunity to move up quickly on some other teams. Every team is going younger and looking to add more cheap talent to their roster. Also, the Rampage might even be more of a mess than the Avs so that can't be too appealing.

If the Avs wanted to, they could make a very appealing offer for College FAs. There should be lots of roster turnover, and we have a lot of crap players right now. They could offer them an immediate spot on the roster, in a role where they could show some good stuff (I mean for crying out loud, Bednar's got Dutch on the 4th essentially). It burns a year off their contract, and they can solidify their role for next season as well.

What will happen is that the Avs will not guarantee NHL ice time, cause you gotta 'spect the vets y'know?!

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
How is Crouse worth more than a second? Just based on the trade that happened between Florida and Arizona (Bolland, Crouse, first for a second and third) that was a year ago so unless Florida just undervalued Crouse significantly or really really wanted to get out of Bolland, but honestly just based on the trade I would think that a first and Bolland and a third coming back is one side of the trade where the second for Crouse was the second part, but maybe I'm way off. Either way I dont think Churychn and a first for Duchene is any more ridiculous than some of the other trades Sakic has been said to have asked for.

You're asking for 3 of Arizona's top prospects, all of whom are currently on their NHL roster and all of whom are under the age of 21, while also asking for a potential top-3 pick in this year's draft, for Matt Duchene.

I love Matt Duchene, but he's not going to return that absurd haul. Mikhail Grigorenko sucks and has no value. It wouldn't surprise me to see him go unqualified this summer (and I really hope it happens, too).

Just a very poor trade for Arizona.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
If the Avs wanted to, they could make a very appealing offer for College FAs. There should be lots of roster turnover, and we have a lot of crap players right now. They could offer them an immediate spot on the roster, in a role where they could show some good stuff (I mean for crying out loud, Bednar's got Dutch on the 4th essentially). It burns a year off their contract, and they can solidify their role for next season as well.

What will happen is that the Avs will not guarantee NHL ice time, cause you gotta 'spect the vets y'know?!

Yeah we could make appealing offers, but that doesn't mean they have to take them. College UFAs are a crapshoot because they can literally choose whatever they want.

For example take a guy like Reese, he is from New York played college out east, chances are an opportunity to play on a team in the East is way more important than getting a roster spot this season. All a team like say the Rangers has to do is say you'll be in the lineup come next season, and it probably trumps our offer of starting the year and burning a ELC year.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Yeah we could make appealing offers, but that doesn't mean they have to take them. College UFAs are a crapshoot because they can literally choose whatever they want.

For example take a guy like Reese, he is from New York played college out east, chances are an opportunity to play on a team in the East is way more important than getting a roster spot this season. All a team like say the Rangers has to do is say you'll be in the lineup come next season, and it probably trumps our offer of starting the year and burning a ELC year.

BUF, the Isles, NJD, yeah there's like a jillion options for someone like him

Maybe we should be targeting players that played college here or in the midwest

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It's all fine with having principles and making players earn their spot and so on, but why even bother pursuing the FAs then? It's clear other teams are more willing to go the extra step and they will get the players.

Is it all just an act to pretend they were actually trying to sign them?

Avs are actually in a good spot now because they are so **** they have nothing to lose offering Mitchell's spot and a year off the E.L.C to a guy that looks promising. Just because you promise a guy a spot, it doesn't mean forever. Just that they start there and they'll be given every chance to keep it instead of the other way around.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I almost wish McKenzie didn't mention us because now I'm going to be disappointed when a guy I've never heard of rejects the Avs for the Sabres or Stars.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I've always been fairly unclear on the college rules - how do guys this talented end up foregoing the draft altogether?

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
4:00: "Gavin, this is Joe coming to you with our final offer, if you sign with us you will immediately step in and play with Beauchimen"

4:01: Sabers announce the signing of Gavin Bayreuther

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I personally like the idea of going after UFA's from overseas far more. Names like Panarin and Zaitsev are far more impactful than Bozak and Dekeyser. Even shooting low and going for guys like Martinsen and Everberg are better signings than most NCAA UFA's

I dont think I'd give that strategy a passing grade. It was worth a try but we got nowhere near Panarin or Zaitsev. Don't forget Rendulic and Roman Will too. I get its a way to supplement a lack of assets and they should still look but I don't think we got much out of it. Maybe looking at other avenues for now is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad