Speculation: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Related Topics 2016-17 Part XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Considering Bednar is not going anywhere, two things must absolutely happen for next year:

1. Youth movement and,
2. Army finally replaced (enough is enough)

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
they should bring Lindy Ruff in

No they shouldn't. In Dallas they say that he was never able to implement a decent defensive system, the only thing he knows is all-in offense and praying for Hasek/Miller level of goaltending.

Yeah, we've been there before.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
So 2016-2017 happened, I guess its now on to waiting until the 29th and discovering the Avs will be selecting 4th overall in the draft.

In all seriousness, it could be worse. The Avs could be this bad this year and drop back to fourth overall in a draft that includes a McDavid, Matthews, or Eichel. There is a silver lining I suppose.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
I am all for having faith, but this team has shown time and time again to be a mirage. Until they show that they can do the basics that any good team can (which there seems to be some improvement) I dont blame people for being pessimistic.

This team has fooled me too many times these past few years to get excited. Until I start seeing the results and they past the eye test I will remain skeptical. Best way to not be disappointed if they suck, and happy if they beat my expectations lol.

Can I ask you this though mate, and this really applies to everyone:

+ Was there improvement from the mid point of the season, towards then end of the season? Were we more competitive generally?

The answer is yes.

Also, to those that laughed about me regarding Grigorenko. I was one of his most avid critics early. He was 6th (right after Landy) on the team in scoring with 23 points, in 75 games, and is on a very low cap hit.

I'm sorry, but I'd much rather him on our 4th line than Comeau or Soderberg value for money wise. Especially given age, and what our strategy is (speed and youth).

I don't want to be a broken record, but we are closer to turning things around than people think. I was known as the habitually negative one around here, so if I can see light at the end of the tunnel, it's most certainly there !

Bring on next season. If nothing, it will be exciting to see the changes, and how we fight / bounce back !

Bring on Nolan Patrick !

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Can I ask you this though mate, and this really applies to everyone:

+ Was there improvement from the mid point of the season, towards then end of the season? Were we more competitive generally?

The answer is yes.

First 41 Games:

13-27-1
82 GF
139 GA

Last 41 Games:

9-29-3
84 GF
143 GA

The answer to your question is not "yes"

*Numbers include shootout GF/GA*

xbestboybandever

Jun 24, 2015
First 41 Games:

13-27-1
82 GF
139 GA

Last 41 Games:

9-29-3
84 GF
143 GA

The answer to your question is not "yes"

*Numbers include shootout GF/GA*

That's not fair. The first half of the season we still had EJ and Zadorov. Things went downhill after EJ got hurt and then Zads got hurt. The team has been competitive as of late which is an improvement compared to the middle of the season.

Avsblitzkrieg

May 1, 2016
Westminster
That's not fair. The first half of the season we still had EJ and Zadorov. Things went downhill after EJ got hurt and then Zads got hurt. The team has been competitive as of late which is an improvement compared to the middle of the season.

How much of that is due to teams gearing up for the playoffs. At the end of the day we still did you play up to snuff

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

EJ literally split the season 50/50. 23 games played prior to his injury, 23 games played when he returned.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
EJ literally split the season 50/50. 23 games played prior to his injury, 23 games played when he returned.

Can you do those 23 seperate and then the middle? We went like 4-24-2 From the Edmonton game in Nov, which I always felt was the first tipping point until Feb 1. That's when this season fell apart and they did little during that span to change anything.

Last edited:

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
EJ and Zad rarely played at the same time due to injuries. The additions of Compher, Jost, Ghetto and Nieto really gave the team a nice little offensive spark. It might not have led to significantly more goals, but the shot count really soared.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
EJ and Zad rarely played at the same time due to injuries. The additions of Compher, Jost, Ghetto and Nieto really gave the team a nice little offensive spark. It might not have led to significantly more goals, but the shot count really soared.
Yeah and if I'm not mistaken they were also a lot better at goal against also. The record might not have been a lot better but they were certainly playing better overall. They were also more fun to watch. Too bad they sucked so much at the start of every games.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
23 Games prior to EJ injury:

9-13-1
49 GF
69 GA

36 Games during EJ injury:

7-27-2
67 GF
128 GA

Ok, take statistics away. Eye test only. Have we looked more competitive of late. Have we looked like there is a lot more heart, fight and spirit in us?

I think we have, personally.

I mean, it's all just opinion, but I could handle losses like we suffered at the end, because of the effort there.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Ok, take statistics away. Eye test only. Have we looked more competitive of late. Have we looked like there is a lot more heart, fight and spirit in us?

I mean, it's all just opinion, but I could handle losses like we suffered at the end, because of the effort there.

I think the past ~5 games or so since Grmaldi, Jost, Compher, Lindholm, and Siemens have been in the lineup have looked like we're an actual NHL team. Not a good team, but still NHL caliber. That couldn't have been said for the majority of the season.

Matheus

Jan 22, 2015
Rio Grande Do Sul
I dont trust in Bednar and sakic anymore. If they come back We destined to end in dead Last again. Hope they protect the 1st 2017 guy from the shame to play to lose again next season. Nothing to learn with that.
Always think what a experienced coach could teach guys like mack, landy even duch. They never have a chance.

TheForsbergShow

Apr 4, 2016
Edmonton

Easy to look like we have more spirit when it was at 0 prior lol.

The young guys with better attitudes and work ethic is the only thing keeping this teams heart beating.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
This team will go nowhere with Bednar

right now, my only hope regarding next season is that they suck enough to guarantee an elite player in the draft. because this team sucking, with Bednar on the bench, is a given.

my fear is that the kids inject a new life on this team and despite Bednar, they improve enough to finish around 20th place again.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I just read the DP article with Sakic's comments, and I've got to say, I'm not thrilled at all. I think players wanting to go is a legitimate concern, especially because Bernardo (auto corrected 'Bednar' to that :laugh:) does seem to have some VERY questionable player usage. Scratches and in-game. Like it makes me think 'wtf is player x doing out there with player y?!?!' quite often.

EDIT: New theory, Bednar is a genius coach and made all those moves on purpose because it was a tank from day one, and Sakic asked him to. :sarcasm:

I think over the next week to 2 weeks, Sakic is very susceptible to being replaced...especially that now he's decided to stand behind Bednar instead of doing what most organizations would have done and admitting that it just didn't work out.

You hired a young coach amongst few candidates and it went south...it happens. The argument that he didn't have a lot of time to prepare at the beginning of the season just doesn't hold water...when coaches are brought in mid-season all the time. It's a weak excuse that shouldn't be used continuously to explain a laughably bad season.

I think there's a difference between a non-playoff year and finishing 20+ points back of the 2nd worst team in the league and being a laughing stock.

If the Avs are truly intent on keeping Bednar as HC, they better be prepared to not only jettison all expiring contracts but Sakic better be ready to make some deals to move out those vets that played half-heartedly at best since December.

I really believe that the ONLY way Sakic survives is if Josh Kroenke is and has been on-board with this plan no matter what happens.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I don't see the Kroenkes making any move to replace Sakic. He is in a unique position in terms of job security, for better or worse.

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
in typical avs fashion i think we will lose the draft lottery. Picking 2nd, 3rd or 4th might be a blessing in disguise. i would be quiet happy to pick 2nd, let someone else pick between patrick and hischier. vilardi at 3rd would be extremely nice. if we get 4th i would like us to trade down to 6 or 7 and snag liljegren and a pick or prospect.

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
I don't see the Kroenkes making any move to replace Sakic. He is in a unique position in terms of job security, for better or worse.

It will be interesting. if Sakic stays, how present Josh is at the post season presser, if they have one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille