Speculation: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Related Topics 2016-17 Part XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I don't know why there isn't some reason for optimism about next season. Sure, the Avs might not be that great, but it can't be as bad as this season.

And before the summer has even started we already know a few exciting things:

-Andrighetto is an NHL player who clicks with MacKinnon.
-Rantanen looks great, and is loved by Bednar.
-Jost and Compher will both be on the team.
-Bednar likes Zadorov, and we saw his game grow exponentially.
-There will probably be another shiny new toy forward picked in the top-4 and on the roster.

Lots to look forward to.

Exactly. Plus the losses of Bourque, Mitchell, Goloubef, Tyutin, Wiercioch, and hopefully one of Comeau/Soderberg to LV.

Then add in guys like Greer, Bigras, Mironov, and the Duchene piece or pieces that will probably be on the roster next season, it'll be a much different team.

I'm not really a Bednar fan, but going into the season I remember hearing reports of how he is such a players coach, everyone loves him, etc. However that was in the AHL/dealing with young players, so I think with a younger group of guys things could be better.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I don't really care either way if Bednar is back or not. I still believe he was put in a tough position but you can't ignore what's going on offensively. He also does a lot of dumb lineup things that annoy me. I think what he wants to do could work with different personnel but he also seems to love Beauchemin, Comeau, and Bourque and I think those three are perfect examples of what's wrong with this team so I don't know what to think.

Avsblitzkrieg

May 1, 2016
Westminster
I'll take a whack at it

Ghetto - mack - rants
Landy - compher/jost - Duchene
Greer - compher/jost - neito/comeau
Colburne - soderberg - neito comeau
Beaudin

Zadarov - Johnson
Beauty - Barrie
Bigras - mirinov/lindholm

Meloche

Varly/picks/martin

Patrick I may wanna keep up hischer would go back down

Last edited:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't really care either way if Bednar is back or not. I still believe he was put in a tough position but you can't ignore what's going on offensively. He also does a lot of dumb lineup things that annoy me. I think what he wants to do could work with different personnel but he also seems to love Beauchemin, Comeau, and Bourque and I think those three are perfect examples of what's wrong with this team so I don't know what to think.

For a guy who has spoken recently about the youth injection into the lineup with speed and how he likes that, it sure is odd to see him bench Grimaldi in favour of Comeau and continue to ride Beauchemin/Bourque in major roles.

I keep saying it, but to me he is Dallas Eakins 2.0. He's awful.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Realistically those trades won't go through. The avs players just don't hold good value ATM. JMO

I don't think we'd get McAvoy for Landy; but I haven't given up on Duchene returning that kind of piece just because of his post TDL play. A couple Jets fans have been receptive to the Connor trade, and Barrie should certainly return a young forward like that if we moved him.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Also, Beauchemin could be bought out and I pray it happens but they have to do something about this Soderberg situation as well if Bednar is indeed back. I don't see a solution for it but I don't think they can go on like this. Bednar clearly wants nothing to do with him and the feeling is probably mutual. Soderberg got the least amount of ice time last night, even the AHL call ups got at least two minutes more than him. He's obviously better than he has shown this season but I'm out on him because of how terrible and lazy he has looked. I guess the best (only?) scenario would be swapping him for another bad contract.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
There's a huge Mack thread on the trade board but I don't want to read it because I know I'll get mad at other fanbases and I don't want to. If anyone is reading it, is there any interesting offer (at least partially) agreed on in there?

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
There's a huge Mack thread on the trade board but I don't want to read it because I know I'll get mad at other fanbases and I don't want to. If anyone is reading it, is there any interesting offer (at least partially) agreed on in there?

it's.. well, typical trade forum thread.

i stopped reading it when i saw monahan > mack - type of stuff in it.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI

I seen one offer of Parayko, but outside of that nope.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Exactly. Plus the losses of Bourque, Mitchell, Goloubef, Tyutin, Wiercioch, and hopefully one of Comeau/Soderberg to LV.

Then add in guys like Greer, Bigras, Mironov, and the Duchene piece or pieces that will probably be on the roster next season, it'll be a much different team.

I'm not really a Bednar fan, but going into the season I remember hearing reports of how he is such a players coach, everyone loves him, etc. However that was in the AHL/dealing with young players, so I think with a younger group of guys things could be better.

It"s not all young guys in the AHL. There are older journeymen down there too. Bednar just can't handle this locker room the way he handled AHL players. Soderberg may not play the game with a lot of intensity, but last season showed that he can be very effective. Burying him in the lineup because he doesn't hustle the way Bednar might like is just a waste of a player (and 4.75 million of cap space). I don't think the bridge can be mended right now, that arrogant stunt by Bednar may very well have irreparably damaged Soderberg's NHL career. If we don't get lucky and lose him to Vegas, he is going to be here for a long time, and the Avs need to find a way to get something out of him, because Bednar's tough-guy "I'll shaft you unless you play my way" routine is not going to work for another three years.

Not to mention, the inconsistency he showed by dumping Colborne after an opening night hat trick, scratching Grigo days after a two-goal performance in Chicago, and treating Soderberg like **** all year, but somehow never benching Comeau, Mitchell, and Beauchemin despite their abominable play just sends a message that it doesn't matter how well you play. Why should Colborne bust his ass every night when he knows that he'll never earn the same ice time as Comeau under Bednar? If you're going to be a hardass, you have to at least be consistent about who you demote and scratch.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
the inconsistency he showed by dumping Colborne after an opening night hat trick, scratching Grigo days after a two-goal performance in Chicago, and treating Soderberg like **** all year

Now that Sakic confirmed that Bednar will be back, I fully expect a bunch of players asking for a trade this summer. I'm 100% sure that he lost a good chunk of the room early in the season.

Question: When was the last time we heard any player publicly say anything positive about Bednar?

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Now that Sakic confirmed that Bednar will be back, I fully expect a bunch of players asking for a trade this summer. I'm 100% sure that he lost a good chunk of the room early in the season.

Question: When was the last time we heard any player publicly say anything positive about Bednar?

Why would any of them say anything positive this season? What could they possibly have to say that would be positive?

No doubt Bednar lost the room. That was long ago.

Bottom line. Sakic should not be in a place to decide on coaches or players. He should be forced out.

Avsblitzkrieg

May 1, 2016
Westminster
Why would any of them say anything positive this season? What could they possibly have to say that would be positive?

No doubt Bednar lost the room. That was long ago.

Bottom line. Sakic should not be in a place to decide on coaches or players. He should be forced out.

Maybe some of the players need to play the way he wants them to play. I'm not saying Bernard right but maybe the players attitude is the or a big reason we continue to be the worst team in hockey. I call dibs on movie rights for this season!

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I don't really care for Bednar. I liked a lot of his tactics/decisions less and less as the season went on. In saying that, he made it where his is for a reason and if he's coming back, he's coming back so I may as well get over it and the players need to as well. Those players who 100% hate playing for him and want out need to make that known and force Sakic to deal with it. With the disaster that was this season there's nothing wrong with significant change anyway. Those players who aren't really big fans of Bednar but don't have a Colborne level of hate for him need to suck it up and realize it's a new season next year. It's not all bad. For example I know for a fact Ghetto and Barbs absolutely love their situations. Likely has more to do with getting legit playing time than Bednar himself but these guys are the happiest they've been in their pro careers.

Lots to learn from and hopefully lots of change. Couldn't be happier that this season is finally over. I need a break and the team needs one much more.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I'm impressed with NHL's analysis of the Avs season, the future, and what's needed. It's a basic analysis, but at least they understand what's going on and the main points of weaknesses, rather than "hurr durr Duschene and Mack sux!"

Colorado Avalanche

What happened: Coach Jared Bednar needed cram sessions to familiarize himself with his personnel after being hired on Aug. 25, two weeks after Patrick Roy abruptly resigned. The Avalanche were 9-9-0 on Nov. 21 before a 2-11-1 stretch sent them into a freefall. They've scored the NHL's fewest goals (164) and allowed the most (275). The power play is 30th in the NHL (12.7 percent), the penalty 29th (76.3 percent). Defenseman Erik Johnson (broken fibula) missed 36 games and goalie Semyon Varlamov had season-ending hip surgery on Jan. 26.

What's needed: More depth on defense and on the third and fourth lines. Younger, faster players would be a better fit for Bednar's up-tempo pressure system. Rebound seasons are in order from defenseman Tyson Barrie and forwards Matt Duchene, Gabriel Landeskog and Nathan MacKinnon. Each saw a major slip in production. MacKinnon's 52 points (17 goals, 35 assists) lead the Avalanche; Duchene went from 30 goals to 18. Colorado also needs a return to form for Varlamov, who has been inconsistent since being a Vezina Trophy finalist in 2013-14; backup Calvin Pickard was overworked in his absence.

Reasons for optimism: A high first-round pick in the 2017 NHL Draft is guaranteed. Colorado's stable of young, talented players could bounce back or provide a return in offseason transactions. There is hope for the future with forwards Mikko Rantanen, 20; J.T. Compher, 21; Tyson Jost, 19; and Sven Andrighetto, 23. Defenseman Nikita Zadorov, 21, made strides before breaking an ankle Feb. 20. Minor-league prospects such as defenseman Chris Bigras, 22, and forward A.J. Greer, 20, will push for jobs in camp.

-- Rick Sadowski

https://www.nhl.com/news/why-nhl-teams-missed-making-the-playoffs/c-288608690?tid=281885062

Avs91

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2013
Wyoming

I just read the DP article with Sakic's comments, and I've got to say, I'm not thrilled at all. I think players wanting to go is a legitimate concern, especially because Bernardo (auto corrected 'Bednar' to that :laugh:) does seem to have some VERY questionable player usage. Scratches and in-game. Like it makes me think 'wtf is player x doing out there with player y?!?!' quite often.

EDIT: New theory, Bednar is a genius coach and made all those moves on purpose because it was a tank from day one, and Sakic asked him to. :sarcasm:

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
:laugh:

Not sure what's funnier, baseless optimism or saying losing Grigorenko is unfortunate.

Baseless optimism? Come on man, I highlighted many, many reasons why I think there is vast improvement in us. Especially when I'm basically being told nothing is changing, and we maybe bring in a player or two. It's just wrong.

In the past month or so, we have beaten The Hawks, Blues, Wings. Not easy beats by any stretch of the imagination.

Either way, people are entitled to their opinions. I think our roster is much, much better than the results this year showed. If every player played to potential, we'd be ok.

I just hope everyone feels excited about the future. The story is being written. Just think about these times, when the form turns, and the times are good results wise again.

People need to have some faith in our team.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
It get's annoying to constantly just see people post negative thing after negative thing, so it's nice to have some people around here with an optimistic view.

Things are bad management/coaching wise but not everything is bad.

TheForsbergShow

Apr 4, 2016
Edmonton
People need to have some faith in our team.

I am all for having faith, but this team has shown time and time again to be a mirage. Until they show that they can do the basics that any good team can (which there seems to be some improvement) I dont blame people for being pessimistic.

This team has fooled me too many times these past few years to get excited. Until I start seeing the results and they past the eye test I will remain skeptical. Best way to not be disappointed if they suck, and happy if they beat my expectations lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad