Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Related Topics 2016-17 Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It's hard seeing Sens going after Duchene. They would probably not mind adding him but they have a lot of big salaries on the books:

Phaneuf: $7M
Karlsson: $6.5M
Methot: $4.9M
Ryan: $7.25M
Hoffman: $5M
Brassard: $5M

Stone and Turris are due for raises next summer.

But good job putting a lot of pressure on the kids by claiming they will be superstars.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Okay, first of all, there is a flat zero chance that a player of Duchene's caliber can be shopped without SOMEBODY finding out about it. No matter how tight lipped Bergevin was about Subban, there were rumors for months that he was available. It's unrealistic to expect that such a monster trade would go under the radar, and yes, Duchene and Landeskog are big name players.

Second: We do not know that Landeskog and Duchene are being "shopped". The original news we heard was that they were "available", which is not the same thing. It just means he won't hang up the phone if somebody brings up their name. It would be one thing if he was the one making the calls trying to unload them, but there have been zero indications that that is the case here. And when players like that do come up, lots of GMs are going to at least try to pry them out for an underpayment. Hence, lots of smoke and no action.

Considering we pretty much know what the ask has been from several teams and in general the most likely scenario is that Sakic is letting teams know that they can have the players if they are willing to pay the price.

So pretty much Sakic is of the mentality that if he can make the team better by moving these guys he will, if he cant get enough for them then there is no issue holding onto them

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Have to say, melnyks commentary is downright disrespectful.

It's absolutely ridiculous to come and speak of the value of another teams player like that. Not only that, but he speaks of the value as if to ridicule duchenes value from an Avs standpoint.

Wasn't even asked directly about him. Just started ranting all by himself, unprovoked.

If you want to discuss that prices are too high, that's fine. But you don't disrespect a GM, and a player like that by bringing up their names, belittling the value, and then prop up two non NHL prospects as superstars.

And the irony of them supposedly, with a high asking price for Lazar. Would love to see Dakic come out with a repeat of his quote, but talking Lazar.

But we know he won't. He's too classy.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
M. Melnyk gave us new information. If you ask for something for your player then that player is being "shopped". It is my opinion.

That's a fine line. Melnyk calls, says, "Hey, whaddaya want for Duchene?" Sakic says "Chabot+1st+B forward or Ceci+White+1st, your choice." Sakic didn't initiate the conversation.

My point is that at the very least, saying Sakic is actively trying to trade either player is speculation at best.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
That's a fine line. Melnyk calls, says, "Hey, whaddaya want for Duchene?" Sakic says "Chabot+1st+B forward or Ceci+White+1st, your choice." Sakic didn't initiate the conversation.

My point is that at the very least, saying Sakic is actively trying to trade either player is speculation at best.

But is he going to answer like that if the question is about Mikko? I guess he could laugh and say EK and then that's not serious but a realistic offer is more than kicking the tires. There is a fine line because I agree it's not like he's trying to fire sale auction these guys but it's past "well make me an offer I can't refuse" wink wink.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Are we all being serious. They are being shopped. Welcome to 2017. Everyone who follows the NHL knows that.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
But is he going to answer like that if the question is about Mikko? I guess he could laugh and say EK and then that's not serious but a realistic offer is more than kicking the tires. There is a fine line because I agree it's not like he's trying to fire sale auction these guys but it's past "well make me an offer I can't refuse" wink wink.

No, but he also made it very publicly clear that Mikko was on the (very short) untouchables list, so the dynamic would not be the same.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
What I find really funny about Melnyk's comments is that if you are going to tell the world your kids are superstars in the making maybe you should learn to pronounce their name correctly. He is one your prospects for the past two years after all. I would bet that Chabot pronounce his name like "robot" not with a silent "t".

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Not sure I get all the public talk about it either. For at least a week the Insiders have been saying how it's too much for Ottawa. Like ok, you aren't interested and I'm sure it's too much for a lot of teams, why keep mentioning it unless you really are interested and are trying to pressure Sakic.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Apparently the price for Shattenkirk is a 1st, a prospect, and maybe another piece. When do we start hearing from anonymous GMs about how ridiculous and outrageous the ask is?

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Okay, first of all, there is a flat zero chance that a player of Duchene's caliber can be shopped without SOMEBODY finding out about it. No matter how tight lipped Bergevin was about Subban, there were rumors for months that he was available. It's unrealistic to expect that such a monster trade would go under the radar, and yes, Duchene and Landeskog are big name players.

Second: We do not know that Landeskog and Duchene are being "shopped". The original news we heard was that they were "available", which is not the same thing. It just means he won't hang up the phone if somebody brings up their name. It would be one thing if he was the one making the calls trying to unload them, but there have been zero indications that that is the case here. And when players like that do come up, lots of GMs are going to at least try to pry them out for an underpayment. Hence, lots of smoke and no action.

Did you or anyone else heard about or knew that Oilers were shopping Hall, or Jackets shopping Johansen? I didn't, and those trades happened out of the blue, and those players are Duchene caliber players.

And aren't there confirmed reports that Sakic is actively shopping Landeskog and Duchene, or at least one of them? I thought there was.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Basically just what the headline says.

"Did you see what they want for Duchene? Oh my God."

"Everyone wants our young stars. You're talking Chabot and White. Get out of here. Those are superstars in the making. We know it, everyone knows it."

Superstars in the making? What an A hole. They're very good prospects, and I'd love to get them in return for Duchene, but they're not even playing pro hockey yet. There's 0 guarantee they'll be as good as Duchene is right now, who he's disparaging publicly for no reason.

Guess we know where these leaks are coming from. Team's have gone from trying to bully Sakic through the media to lower his asking price, to tampering and mentioning Av players by name.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Did you or anyone else heard about or knew that Oilers were shopping Hall, or Jackets shopping Johansen? I didn't, and those trades happened out of the blue, and those players are Duchene caliber players.

And aren't there confirmed reports that Sakic is actively shopping Landeskog and Duchene, or at least one of them? I thought there was.

If there are reports from somebody with credibility, I'd sure like to see them. Everything I've seen has come from the echo chamber here.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I said before that I would be ok with a Carlo trade as long as the +s are very good but I am very happy with what Sakic said. I'm perfectly happy to keep these two guys if the right deals are not there. The D still need to be priority one though. We need one top-4 dman for me to be happy.

Z - EJ
XXX - Barrie
Bigras - Mironov
Barberio (if he is still with us)

XXX somehow must be a real top-4 and a good fit for Barrie. The D group needs to be quicker and I mean that in two different ways. Not necessary top-speed but quicker to the loose pucks and puck carrier so much more mobile. I also mean quicker in making decision with the puck.

Up front we should get a very good boost with some of the kids coming up and Nieto with us another year. Adding speed and great work ethic with guys like Greer and Compher should do wonder to the FWD group.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
It's just so obvious that the national media are acting as puppets for Canadian/big market teams.

Yeah, our asking price for Duchene/Landeskog is ridiculous, but the asking price for Jannik freaking Hansen is a 1st + top prospect? Good one Ferraro

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
It's just so obvious that the national media are acting as puppets for Canadian/big market teams.

Yeah, our asking price for Duchene/Landeskog is ridiculous, but the asking price for Jannik freaking Hansen is a 1st + top prospect? Good one Ferraro

The asking price for ROR was "outrageous" too. And then we spent all last year getting told how badly we got burned for trading our superstar #1C for scraps.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The more I think about it, the more I realize that going public about who's untouchable and who's not was unprofessional from the start. Combined with the useless waiver submissions, it's more than likely a big part of this "locker room cancer". It's no wonder players look like they don't want to play for this management.

Since everything is public now with journalists and other teams telling left and right how the price for Duchene is a joke, I think we are near the point where no GM will want to be "that guy" that caved in and traded for him. It's pretty dangerous.

Sure, in theory Sakic doesn't need to trade Duchene and we could keep him, but the damage is done now and there's no going back. He could have denied all this from the start and work in secrecy like any good GM would do. Going public was a HUGE mistake.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

Totally agree. Its so blatantly obvious now too they dont even try to hide it.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
If there are reports from somebody with credibility, I'd sure like to see them. Everything I've seen has come from the echo chamber here.

[MOD] Johanson for Jones was discussed a crap ton before it happened just like the O'Reilly trade with us.

It may have shocked the insiders, but no one on HF was surprised by that trade.

Last edited by a moderator:

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
The more I think about it, the more I realize that going public about who's untouchable and who's not was unprofessional from the start. Combined with the useless waiver submissions, it's more than likely a big part of this "locker room cancer". It's no wonder players look like they don't want to play for this management.

Since everything is public now with journalists and other teams telling left and right how the price for Duchene is a joke, I think we are near the point where no GM will want to be "that guy" that caved in and traded for him. It's pretty dangerous.

Sure, in theory Sakic doesn't need to trade Duchene and we could keep him, but the damage is done now and there's no going back. He could have denied all this from the start and work in secrecy like any good GM would do. Going public was a HUGE mistake.

Avs don't need to trade their core but its good to shop around just in case someone offers a deal that Avs cant refuse. Some teams know that Dutchy could be a 70-80 point player that can bring them the Stanley Cup. Stamkos was in the same position and he did not give up on Bolts. Why can't Sakic shop around for the best deal that would benefit our franchise. Dutchy and Landy have said that it is part of the business and that they are focused just playing the game.
By the way, Colorado might have a prospect in Mironov playing for them next season who is currently one of the top KHL dman prospects.

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
The issue with our rebuild(s) is we have never committed to a plan long enough. We have always taken steps too fast and made the playoffs too early. Losing players Stastny, O'Reilly, and maybe Duchene in a span of 4 seasons is not going to be ideal for any team much less one which tries to cut corners like the Avalanche. The asking should be immensely high for Duchene and we should be taking nothing less (Hanifin/Sergachev + Established Youngish Player/1st Round Pick).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad