Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Related Topics 2016-17 Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I'm curious who you think is greater? Pauly is the closest thing IMO but his two best seasons came with Sakic still around. After Sakic he only had one season better than Dutchy which was Duchene's rookie season. Pauly's defensive side is always admirable though so I get that.

That truly is a great question...and it's a hard one to answer.

I guess I have always valued someone who can put up points while maintaining a good/great defensive acumen--which might be why I've always found myself favoring players like Landeskog/Stastny/O'Reilly.

This wasn't meant as a knock on Duchene, I just don't value him in the same light. He's still a good player, but like I've said before--I'm ready for the post-Duchene era of the Avalanche.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'd say Stastny is the best post Sakic... but nobody is really deserving of a title like that. Like asking best Hawk post Chelios pre-Keith.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
stastny has a solid case. duchene and landeskog too. ROR didn't produce enough. 47 points per 82 games for his av career. duchene was at 62 for the same time period. RORs defense wasn't good enough to cover that gap.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
Yeah but this is hindsight a bit isnt it?

Depends on how much interest they had in Sergachev before the draft, and also exactly when Sakic decided that trading core players would be necessary to get the D they want.

If you are looking to try and pry young D away from other GMs, why would you wait until after the WJCs? If those players have a good showing... there goes what little chance you might've had to get them because if they weren't considered untouchable before, they sure as hell are now.

The timing of making Duchene and Landy available, in terms of what Sakic is looking to try and get back, is pretty terrible, IMO.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Depends on how much interest they had in Sergachev before the draft, and also exactly when Sakic decided that trading core players would be necessary to get the D they want.

If you are looking to try and pry young D away from other GMs, why would you wait until after the WJCs? If those players have a good showing... there goes what little chance you might've had to get them because if they weren't considered untouchable before, they sure as hell are now.

The timing of making Duchene and Landy available, in terms of what Sakic is looking to try and get back, is pretty terrible, IMO.

The thing is, we don't really know WHEN they were made available. Duchene was rumoured to be available last year.
Landeskog, at the beginning of this season.

But that's only when the rumours came out. Doesn't mean that's exactly the timing of when they were officially willing to move them.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City

I will agree that after the WJC's is probably the absolute worst time to try and pry a prospect away from an org.
You couldnt trade Crosby for Kaprizov now.
The lessons the Avs should learn from watching the WJCs is to build up their asset base so they too can have the honor of hearing their name mentioned every time a kid lights up a tourney

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
stastny has a solid case. duchene and landeskog too. ROR didn't produce enough. 47 points per 82 games for his av career. duchene was at 62 for the same time period. RORs defense wasn't good enough to cover that gap.

I find it interesting that you guys have that opinion about Stastny, when what I remember is a majority of the fan base (this board included) coming up with nick names like Casper, and how Stastny never really lived up to his contract for the entirety of it.

There were definitely people who still felt he had value for his two-way game, but the general consensus was still that he wasn't earning 6.6M/yr.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Both Landeskog and Duchene need to go, simple as that. They need to fix the mess not create more mess. I wouldn't want to play for a team that doesn't want me and shopping me. With the terrible leadership the Avs have as it is, last thing they need is a unhappy captain.

Yeah, he has said he wants to stay, they all say that and it's just an NHL cliche. Blah Blah Blah, i like Denver, i like my team mates, i want to stay, in reality they don't if the team doesn't want them and tries to trade them

So would you accept Ceci+1st for Duchene and Muzzin for Landy 1 for 1? You are so ready to criticize Sakic for not making a move yet, but I guarantee you would be lighting this board up about how "rookie GM Joe Sakic got worked over" in those trades. Those deals probably would have gotten done if Sakic had said yes. Would that make you happy, or just as mad but for a different reason?

It seems like people are just finding anything to complain about with this situation. I get it; the team is having an awful year and everybody is frustrated. But railing on and on about how bad things are isn't interesting.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
That's extremely debatable.

Stastny or nobody deserving it? Stastny... sure easily debatable. Nobody really deserving it... yeah you can debate anything, but I think it is a pointless debate. Kinda like crowning a kid with an IQ of 100 a genius just because he has the highest in the room.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Stastny or nobody deserving it? Stastny... sure easily debatable. Nobody really deserving it... yeah you can debate anything, but I think it is a pointless debate. Kinda like crowning a kid with an IQ of 100 a genius just because he has the highest in the room.

Stastny being the best post Sakic. Although I do agree ti's pointless. Which is why I gave one liner.:laugh:

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
The thing is, we don't really know WHEN they were made available. Duchene was rumoured to be available last year.
Landeskog, at the beginning of this season.

But that's only when the rumours came out. Doesn't mean that's exactly the timing of when they were officially willing to move them.

I thought the rumors about Duchene last year was to try and get him to play better, which he did. After he started playing better, I didn't hear anything else about him being available.

On Landy, I heard about him possibly being shopped for Lindholm and Trouba, but I thought both teams pretty much passed and that was the end, until these latest rumors. I could be wrong though.

Either way, the timing doesn't seem to be in our favor. If young core players, with term on their contracts, can't pry young D away, nothing can.

Last edited:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

I feel like if someone asked me to describe our team in one sentence, that would work quite well.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
People wanted to hear from Sakic so here you go:

A lot of "Sakic Speak" here.

“There have been a lot of conversations about a lot of different things,”

“I’m not going to make a deal just to make a deal,”

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
So would you accept Ceci+1st for Duchene and Muzzin for Landy 1 for 1? You are so ready to criticize Sakic for not making a move yet, but I guarantee you would be lighting this board up about how "rookie GM Joe Sakic got worked over" in those trades. Those deals probably would have gotten done if Sakic had said yes. Would that make you happy, or just as mad but for a different reason?

It seems like people are just finding anything to complain about with this situation. I get it; the team is having an awful year and everybody is frustrated. But railing on and on about how bad things are isn't interesting.

That's not my point though, all i'm saying is Sakic should of just kept it quiet while trying to shop core players, because if he doesn't find the deal he likes, it creates more problems.

Now you are facing either losing those players to free agency, or you have to resign players you wanted to trade. If they were just depth players, it wouldn't be so bad, but it's your captain and the best offensive forward you're trying to trade.

I don't remember the last time a team tried to openly trade it's captain but ended up resigning him, it just isn't done and it's not a smart thing to do.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Eklund thinks the Islanders are still after Duchene, but hes the only one that has consistently kept bringing them up.

I can't even imagine what Tavares and Duchene would look like together on a line against NHL players outside of damn Olympic and World Cup level competition.

Eklund also headlines it with Hamonic PLUS, so it's in line with what we all think Sakic would ask for from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad