Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Related Topics 2016-17 Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Basically just what the headline says.

"Did you see what they want for Duchene? Oh my God."

"Everyone wants our young stars. You're talking Chabot and White. Get out of here. Those are superstars in the making. We know it, everyone knows it."

That second paragraph is what I imagine Donald Trump as an NHL GM would sound like.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
The issue with our rebuild(s) is we have never committed to a plan long enough. We have always taken steps too fast and made the playoffs too early. Losing players Stastny, O'Reilly, and maybe Duchene in a span of 4 seasons is not going to be ideal for any team much less one which tries to cut corners like the Avalanche. The asking should be immensely high for Duchene and we should be taking nothing less (Hanifin/Sergachev + Established Youngish Player/1st Round Pick).

Thats true. Dont make the trade for the sake of making a trade unless its for something like that.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Avs don't need to trade their core but its good to shop around just in case someone offers a deal that Avs cant refuse. Some teams know that Dutchy could be a 70-80 point player that can bring them the Stanley Cup. Stamkos was in the same position and he did not give up on Bolts. Why can't Sakic shop around for the best deal that would benefit our franchise. Dutchy and Landy have said that it is part of the business and that they are focused just playing the game.
By the way, Colorado might have a prospect in Mironov playing for them next season who is currently one of the top KHL dman prospects.

I wasn't saying that Sakic shouldn't listen to offers or that he shouldn't actively trying to trade him. I was saying that he shouldn't have said PUBLICLY who was available and who wasn't. Duchene's trust for the management is broken forever now, he HAS to get traded and Sakic only have himself to blame if he can't get the price that he wanted.

How often do you see that **** around the league? Star players actively and openly shopped around? Now every journalist/blogger knows what the asking price is. GM's (and even owners) are going public saying the asking price is ridiculous, basically scaring off other potential buyers. "Yeah, if you want to get ripped off go talk to Joe Sakic and ask him about Duchene".

That's a pretty disgusting situation and it's spiraling out of control real fast.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Do we think the Landeskog Boston deal has died? It's awfully quiet maybe Sakic and scouts don't like the adds.

Either Sweeney made an offer and Sakic is considering it or Sakic asked for someone Sweeney wasn't willing to move.

There isn't much incentive for Sakic to do a deal now. If they like it then wait until mid TDL and if its still the best deal then do it then but at least give teams the opportunity to get desperate and do something foolish.

I wasn't saying that Sakic shouldn't listen to offers or that he shouldn't actively trying to trade him. I was saying that he shouldn't have said PUBLICLY who was available and who wasn't. Duchene's trust for the management is broken forever now, he HAS to get traded and Sakic only have himself to blame if he can't get the price that he wanted.

How often do you see that **** around the league? Star players actively and openly shopped around? Now every journalist/blogger knows what the asking price is. GM's (and even owners) are going public saying the asking price is ridiculous, basically scaring off other potential buyers. "Yeah, if you want to get ripped off go talk to Joe Sakic and ask him about Duchene".

That's a pretty disgusting situation and it's spiraling out of control real fast.

There is no reason Duchene has to be moved. He has said himself multiple times he completely understands the Sakics situation and that they will have an incredible relationship no matter what happens. You are projecting how you would feel in the situation but that is clearly not the reality of the situation.

Avs have him under contract for 2 more years so there is no rushing a deal.

Thats true. Dont make the trade for the sake of making a trade unless its for something like that.

If the Deal doesn't make the Avs better then Sakic wont do it, which is the point.

Sakic is saying to the rest of the league that he couldn't care less how they feel about the price, its not changing and if they want the player thats what it will take.

It's hard seeing Sens going after Duchene. They would probably not mind adding him but they have a lot of big salaries on the books:

Phaneuf: $7M
Karlsson: $6.5M
Methot: $4.9M
Ryan: $7.25M
Hoffman: $5M
Brassard: $5M

Stone and Turris are due for raises next summer.

But good job putting a lot of pressure on the kids by claiming they will be superstars.

Ott turned down Drouin a little while back because they weren't willing to move freaking Ceci for him.

They are not smart and Sakic realises that, which is why he essentially told them it'll take 5 pieces because they dont have better pieces than other teams and they aren't the smartest front office in the world, so its better to start high and not waste your time with them when there are better options out there.

Have to say, melnyks commentary is downright disrespectful.

It's absolutely ridiculous to come and speak of the value of another teams player like that. Not only that, but he speaks of the value as if to ridicule duchenes value from an Avs standpoint.

Wasn't even asked directly about him. Just started ranting all by himself, unprovoked.

If you want to discuss that prices are too high, that's fine. But you don't disrespect a GM, and a player like that by bringing up their names, belittling the value, and then prop up two non NHL prospects as superstars.

And the irony of them supposedly, with a high asking price for Lazar. Would love to see Dakic come out with a repeat of his quote, but talking Lazar.

But we know he won't. He's too classy.

Just sounded me like a child who didn't get what they want.

"Can you believe Sally said no to going to the dance? She's probably a prude anyways, who would want to go with her anyways, I could do way better ugh"

Apparently the price for Shattenkirk is a 1st, a prospect, and maybe another piece. When do we start hearing from anonymous GMs about how ridiculous and outrageous the ask is?

Also apparently the Cannucks what a 1st and a prospect for Hansen as well. Just funny really.

In all fairness the insiders trashed talked Shatty a weird amount as well. Even calling him a number 5 Dman.

Last edited by a moderator:

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Also apparently the Cannucks what a 1st and a prospect for Hansen as well. Just funny really.

In all fairness the insiders trashed talked Shatty a weird amount as well. Even calling him a number 5 Dman.

They're probably just trying to make GMs lower their prices so there's more TDL stuff to talk about.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
They're probably just trying to make GMs lower their prices so there's more TDL stuff to talk about.

I'd expect it from other GMs but its weird that the insiders are doing their dirty work for them. I know its been a super slow trade market this year but negging other GMs seems a bit low. Plus who thinks any GM is going to fall for that stuff anyways.

I just think the Canadian bias is hilarious. The guy who thinks someone is going to give up a 1st for Lazar is criticizing the prices of other GMs? When 18 goalies and John Mitchell are outscoring you, its not good.

Like all the criticism for the cost on young elite players is criticized nonstop and there here we come with crazy asks for a Rental D and Hansen. Cant do it with a straight face.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Melnyk further proving he is a clown. He and their fans make that franchise so easy to despise.

Until recently with Babgod and the Jets I dont think I have really ever liked a single Canadian franchise.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com

Not saying you are wrong.....but the opposite can work as well, see San Jose with Thorton and Marleau. Also worth noting Sakic himself basically left the Avalanche at one point, and only after that really became a legend with the franchise. Point being, if the asking price is not met, the two sides may be forced back together for a time....but maybe find their way in the process.

Don't get me wrong, I think Duchene is done here. But if he survives the deadline, he gets a bit of a breather and maybe has a bounce back final quarter of the season. Team starts playing just a bit better with the pressure off and the guys start to have a little fun. Avs move into the summer and another deal is made, maybe being Lando, maybe being with the 1st overall pick. (I could see a world in which the Avs move the pick, not one of Lando or Duchene) That move brings the needed D man in. A few smaller moves round out the forward core and Sakic tells Duchene he is not going anywhere this summer. New coach, again, a vet with some presence in the room. Team starts next year as a middle of the rung team, not terrible, not great. Duchene, maybe still a bit raw over it -- starts to settle into a grove. The Avs do what we hope they do, and hang around the 6-7-8-9 spot out west. Matt has a good start to the year and he and Mac settle in as a 1-2 punch down the middle. Varly stays healthy and the team is in playoff contention at the deadline. Team does not trade Duchene then either..nor do they make any other big moves. A strong playoff push gets the team in and they push a top seed, maybe winning maybe losing. Team adds a bit more via the draft and UFA, go into the next season and actually step forward as a franchise. Once again the deadline is largely unspectacular, adding a small piece or two. Team makes the playoffs, wins a round and feels good about the next year. The next wave of prospects start hitting and there is a positive attitude around the franchise again and the new coach is someone Duchene likes and trusts that has helped rebuild his game....... and so on.

Last edited:

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Not saying you are wrong.....but the opposite can work as well, see San Jose with Thorton and Marleau. Also worth noting Sakic himself basically left the Avalanche at one point, and only after that really became a legend with the franchise. Point being, if the asking price is not met, the two sides may be forced back together for a time....but maybe find their way in the process.

Don't get me wrong, I think Duchene is done here. But if he survives the deadline, he gets a bit of a breather and maybe has a bounce back final quarter of the season. Team starts playing just a bit better with the pressure off and the guys start to have a little fun. Avs move into the summer and another deal is made, maybe being Lando, maybe being with the 1st overall pick. (I could see a world in which the Avs move the pick, not one of Lando or Duchene) That move brings the needed D man in. A few smaller moves round out the forward core and Sakic tells Duchene he is not going anywhere this summer. New coach, again, a vet with some presence in the room. Team starts next year as a middle of the rung team, not terrible, not great. Duchene, maybe still a bit raw over it -- starts to settle into a grove. The Avs do what we hope they do, and hang around the 6-7-8-9 spot out west. Matt has a good start to the year and he and Mac settle in as a 1-2 punch down the middle. Varly stays healthy and the team is in playoff contention at the deadline. Team does not trade Duchene then either..nor do they make any other big moves. A strong playoff push gets the team in and they push a top seed, maybe winning maybe losing. Team adds a bit more via the draft and UFA, go into the next season and actually step forward as a franchise. Once again the deadline is largely unspectacular, adding a small piece or two. Team makes the playoffs, wins a round and feels good about the next year. The next wave of prospects start hitting and there is a positive attitude around the franchise again and the new coach is someone Duchene likes and trusts that has helped rebuild his game....... and so on.

Few things I'll add:

1) I would be SHOCKED if Bednar isn't back next year. He was never given a fair shot and the Avs treat their people right. He will have 1 if not 2 more years to bring in some guys that fit his system and as long as there is improvement he should be fine. Esp with Julien off the market.

2) I've thought a lot about the Avs trading their 1st but Sakic has pretty much admitted they are rebuilding so unless it brings back a super young guy that they love like a Hanafin or a Drouin, I dont see it moving.

I would say the order I feel a player will be moved in the next year will be Duchene>Barrie>Gabe. Gabe will have the most likely price for teams to say yes to, Duchene is the oldest of the 3 and the Avs simply have a replacement for him in the system and if either of the 2 bring back a RHD that finds success here I think Barrie is a goner for sure unless his game finds about 10 more levels.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
The Avs have 15 wins and are 13pts behind second last in the west and 22 points behind last in the east. There is no way Bednar should be back if an experienced coach like Therrien is available.

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
The Avs have 15 wins and are 13pts behind second last in the west and 22 points behind last in the east. There is no way Bednar should be back if an experienced coach like Therrien is available.

Not necessarily Therrien. But I don't necessarily like what I see from Bednar. Fair shot or not. He's not exactly the truth. I've even missed Patty at times this year lol

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Not necessarily Therrien. But I don't necessarily like what I see from Bednar. Fair shot or not. He's not exactly the truth. I've even missed Patty at times this year lol

You took a guy who runs a fast system and gave him 2 weeks to prepare and a system full of players too old slow to properly run it. Combine that with an absurdly low PDO and the great strides in the transition game and possession go unnoticed. The injuries haven't helped either.

The only concern I have is Soderberg and Barries severe issues with adjusting to the system. He does play a low event system which some people may not be infatuated with, with a lot of offense coming off of transitional plays and offensive turnovers caused by the forecheck but the heat maps are undeniable and the issues plaguing the Avs aren't system dependent but universal ones. Turnovers at your blue line, weak net front battles and losing your man will be issues in any system.

A lot of factors went into this awful season but for a large majority of it, this years results were identical to the prior years for a lot longer than people realize.

The Avs will give him a fair shot to bring in guys that fit his system so he gets a fair shot. There aren't any coaches out there good enough to warrant firing him anyways.

If you think MT is a better solution you are fooling yourself.

robinsonp16

Jan 12, 2017
Random question. Do you think that the bye week has anothing to do with the time lapse we've seen since the rumor hit? I mean Avs have had theirs, B's currently are. I don't think any roster player moved from Boston could even play until the end of the bye, so maybe Sakic is just taking his time to consider everything and we shouldn't expect much until Friday or Saturday anyway.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Random question. Do you think that the bye week has anothing to do with the time lapse we've seen since the rumor hit? I mean Avs have had theirs, B's currently are. I don't think any roster player moved from Boston could even play until the end of the bye, so maybe Sakic is just taking his time to consider everything and we shouldn't expect much until Friday or Saturday anyway.

Don't think there's a deal there for now.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Wow that's an ignorant statement by Melnyk. Nobody asked him about Duchene. If he wanted to say something like "have you seen the asking price of these available players?" that would be more than fine. But to single out Duchene like that is simply ignorant.

That's Eugene though.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Basically just what the headline says.

"Did you see what they want for Duchene? Oh my God."

"Everyone wants our young stars. You're talking Chabot and White. Get out of here. Those are superstars in the making. We know it, everyone knows it."

Oh yeah, just like LAZAR is a superstar in the making??? :laugh: (Because that's what the sens would have told you if you'd ask them 1-2 years after he was drafted)

Gimme a break...what a tool. Just the mere fact that the senators even called on Duchene just shows how completely delusional they are about where they are at in terms of being able to compete for the Stanley Cup. That is not a team close to competing for a cup. That is a poorly constructed team with and aging defense with a few albatross contracts that not even an expansion draft can make go away. Don't they have Turris and Brassard at center?? Why would they even be calling on Duchene???

What I find really funny about Melnyk's comments is that if you are going to tell the world your kids are superstars in the making maybe you should learn to pronounce their name correctly. He is one your prospects for the past two years after all. I would bet that Chabot pronounce his name like "robot" not with a silent "t".

What's even funnier is that it's not even pronounced CHABEAU in French!!!!!!!! In French, it's STILL Chabot (like Robot). Oh eugene, you're SO sophisticated... :laugh:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Would you guys be willing to take on Gaborik's contract if we get a good plus added? For example (and I'm not saying LA would do this) would you trade Iginla for Gaborik, Ladue and a 3rd. I would. I realize how awful his contract is but we have cap space to burn next year and the year after. If by some miracle Gaborik is healthy enough to not be LTIR'd by the time the last two years of his contract rolls around and we need cap space we could look to trade him off in a similar way we acquired him but the price likely wouldn't be as bad since it's only 1 or 2 years remaining instead of 4.5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad