Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Related Topics 2016-17 Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Patrick Roy! :sarcasm:

Now you have me wondering which former coach would have those connections :laugh:

That's all he told me (in private), but I doubt it's Roy either.

At this point, I think it's best to respect Dom's wishes to anonymity on his source for this. This is someone who has an absolutely sterling record from some pretty important people on the B's board. And in my conversations with him, he's been nothing but amazing and kind. He's a great guy. If he says he can't say who the source is, then there's a good reason (and really, not all that different from other people who share news--they're never going to burn a source).

But, I definitely buy what he's saying. There's some smoke here, in my view.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
If a deal is going to happen it just needs to freaking happen. I'm so tired of the degenerative level of debating these hypothetical trades. You just end up reading stuff that's infuriating. Then on top of the actual simple rumor, you have all of these media pundits who are throwing around their opinion, and fans taking it as gospel.

Sick of this crap honestly

Flanagan

Registered Loser
Jul 10, 2011
St. John's
I haven't seen everyone here so anxious since the days leading up to the ROR trade.

It'll be pretty funny if the Bruins are going after someone random like Martinsen.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I don't really get how trading for a package around Carlo is any better than the ROR trade with maybe a better pick.

I think the Bruins are a bit higher on Carlo than the Sabres were on Zadorov...other than that I expect a pretty similar deal indeed.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't really get how trading for a package around Carlo is any better than the ROR trade with maybe a better pick.

It isn't... but why would it be much different? Trading an established young player for pieces will always end in a similar sort of deal. Hockey trades are harder to pull off, but that is about the only way it would be significantly different.

Even if a Bruins deal ended up McAvoy + 1st + JFK for Landy... that really isn't different than the ROR deal. Carlo is a different type of defender, but that doesn't drastically change the scope of the deal.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Exactly. I also could totally see the Avs send him to the AHL because every young player needs seasoning ya know.

Can you imagine the outrage? The casuals and Terry Frei already think Zadorov is a bust in terms of value for the O'Reilly trade lol.

Landeskog for a AHL defender? :help:

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I don't know much of anything about Carlo. A 20 year old handling the minutes he has is impressive. Do we not expect him to improve or even maintain his play?

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
I think the Bruins are a bit higher on Carlo than the Sabres were on Zadorov...other than that I expect a pretty similar deal indeed.

So...
Carlo, JFK, Hayes, 2nd vs Zadorov, Compher, Grigorenko 2nd.

something along those lines. I don't have a good comparable to Grigorenko there, but it would somewhat fit.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
It isn't... but why would it be much different? Trading an established young player for pieces will always end in a similar sort of deal. Hockey trades are harder to pull off, but that is about the only way it would be significantly different.

Even if a Bruins deal ended up McAvoy + 1st + JFK for Landy... that really isn't different than the ROR deal. Carlo is a different type of defender, but that doesn't drastically change the scope of the deal.

Exactly. I can see why we would want McAvoy, but he's still nothing more than a prospect at this point (a damn good prospect, but a prospect nonetheless). We'd still be trading a proven NHL commodity for some "what if's"

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

Should be aiming higher in the main piece or else it's just a futures trade

There's a difference between Carlo and Sergachev or Hanifin

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I don't know why but trading the captain just makes me feel all weird.
The return for him if the trade does indeed go down will be interesting to look at.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Should be aiming higher in the main piece or else it's just a futures trade

If you want more assets, you have to take more of a futures trade. The more proven assets mean the Avs will only be getting 1 or 2 pieces back instead of 3 or 4.

FTR I think the Avs should get the best young defensive prospect they can regardless of the extras. I'd rather get less value back and get McAvoy/Hanifin than get more back and get a Carlo.

As a theoretical... what if the deals are Carlo + 1st + JFK vs McAvoy + Donato?

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I don't know much of anything about Carlo. A 20 year old handling the minutes he has is impressive. Do we not expect him to improve or even maintain his play?

It's not that Carlo just sucks, and that's that... It's that hes too much of a risk IMO, and does not carry a strong pedigree that was built by scouting like a McAvoy. You should always be somewhat cautious about someone defying the odds. Carlo is already living on hype as it stands, it's not like hes still going strong, and is putting together an epic season from start to finish. Hes inconsistent, and being played too much on a D group that is actually pretty shallow. Which also points to B's fans liking anything resembling passable the same way we do with a waiver pickup in Barberio.

It also explains why they don't want to trade any of their young defense for a winger, even one of Landeskog's level. That does not make Carlo the next McDonagh like they think he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad