Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Related Topics 2016-17 Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
It's not that Carlo just sucks, and that's that... It's that hes too much of a risk IMO, and does not carry a strong pedigree that was built by scouting like a McAvoy. You should always be somewhat cautious about someone defying the odds. Carlo is already living on hype as it stands, it's not like hes still going strong, and is putting together an epic season from start to finish. Hes inconsistent, and being played too much on a D group that is actually pretty shallow. Which also points to B's fans liking anything resembling passable the same way we do with a waiver pickup in Barberio.

It also explains why they don't want to trade any of their young defense for a winger, even one of Landeskog's level. That does not make Carlo the next McDonagh like they think he is.

Haha, that is actually so true.:laugh:

That's how it has felt the past couple years being a B's fan.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Haha, that is actually so true.:laugh:

That's how it has felt the past couple years being a B's fan.

That's how we've felt since well before Adam Foote even retired lol.

I just don't get it... The fit between the teams as trade partners just sucks, and it's why we all end up in a pissing match over the value of the players discussed.

I wouldn't trade Zadorov for Taylor Hall right now, so I get it.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Still feeling uneasy over all this fire. I just don't understand trading Landeskog. The fact that it doesn't make sense to trade Landeskog is giving me a little bit of hope that maybe this is only happening because Sakic is getting an offer he can't refuse.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Still feeling uneasy over all this fire. I just don't understand trading Landeskog. The fact that it doesn't make sense to trade Landeskog is giving me a little bit of hope that maybe this is only happening because Sakic is getting an offer he can't refuse.

Man, I sure hope that's the case. Quite nervous...

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

Maybe Sakic really is taking Sweeney to the cleaners? :laugh:

That had to be for Duchene and not Landeskog.

I think we can all agree here that even though all of us prefer Duchene to be moved over Gabriel, Landeskog will get less turn in a trade.

He hasn't been that great in a while
Who? Carlo? If so that's false, he was great yesterday (though it was one game against a struggling squad).

Last edited:

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
The fact that is Boston, and Landeskog gives me hope about the future of the defence. I know whatever the end is will hurt, but at some point this team has to be built correctly. That is with a good defence. The Avs will just never be serious contenders until then. Landeskog getting traded, and then Duchene later means the Avs will go into next season with a promising defence group.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL

It makes sense in that you can command the highest value and return for Duchene and Landeskog.
Both as signed to team friendly deals, signed semi long term, in the prime of their careers and they give you the best chance to grab a top 4 D man.

As much as the Avs may love Rantanen, he's not going to garner a ton in trade. Mack would garner quite a bit but he's not part of the previous anointed core so you keep him for the next core build.

This is the cost of the Avs refusal to draft D men high and develop them.
All of the D men outside of Hanifin and Sergachev the Avs had the chance to draft and passed on them for a forward, now they have a major need at the position and teams don't want to deal those D men away.

Until the Avs find a way to develop their own top notch D men in house, they are going to have to trade away forwards to get them.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
You guys have been busy. 11 pages since I last visited this thread last night.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

There is that theory, and I'm with you on that. I'm also wondering if the organization sees Landeskog having ongoing nagging injuries (ones that he is playing through), lowering shot totals, point production dropping, and has decided to get the most for him that they can get at a point when they feel his value might not be higher.

That's just my tinfoil hat theory, but I don't think it's really that far fetched. So maybe they do feel some urgency to move him now or in this off-season. That would be something that skewed his value in our own organizations eyes enough that they might take a package around someone like Carlo, especially if they think he could be a good shutdown role type partner long term for Zadorov.

Zadorov's right side is also why I think we keep hearing about RHD, as I think they may be looking to build a pairing that can grow into our top unit in the next three or four years as EJ slides back into a 2nd pairing role on the other side of 30.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Zadorov's right side is also why I think we keep hearing about RHD, as I think they may be looking to build a pairing that can grow into our top unit in the next three or four years as EJ slides back into a 2nd pairing role on the other side of 30.

Well then they shouldn't be looking at Carlo.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Its sad that this is the way its being done instead of I dunno drafting and developing dman.

Whats more concerning is the pattern is just gonna continue. I dont see that changing.
The best thing for this org is to start winning enough games to get into the middle of the pack of the draft, thats where the D men are.
ifs a safe zone. for everyone.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Well said Cobra. I have the same tin foil hat regarding landeskog. With him you know at his best he's 60-65 pts, Viking mode, hard nosed skilled forward. At his worst he's mistake prone, takes poor penalties and seems to have some injury issues.

I think Sakic is worried he may become Dustin Brown 2.0 and if that's the case you have to hold onto him forever and strip him of captaincy.

All of the Carlo bashing, and limited upside is great and all but we need to look at landeskog in the same light. Is he the 60 pt powerfoward that won the Calder or is he the 45 of 2nd line winger that can make you laugh, cry, and everything in between.

If Sakic believes it's the latter (and based on his dips in production I think it is too) get the most you can from him now. This isn't the best draft but a top 5 pick can replace him sooner than they can replace a top 4 d man.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Maybe the Boston talks have been going on for a while now, and were getting close.
Then the Landy-MacK-Rants line started playing well, and Sakic thought he might be able to squeeze a tiny bit more...

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Its sad that this is the way its being done instead of I dunno drafting and developing dman.

The problem isn't so much not drafting and developing Dmen, it's drafting so many damn forwards and really only having a few good ones to show for it, and virtually none outside the 1st round.

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
So apparently original ask for Duchene from Habs Galchenyuk and Surgechev. Would love that, but I would have said no too if I were the Habs.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Well then they shouldn't be looking at Carlo.

It depends though, as it's common for top pairing guys to have that shutdown guy next to them. Doughty is an example of this, and Keith and Seabrook don't actually play together that oftenm and have had guys like Oduya and Hjalmer next to them instead.

Martinez & Muzzin are good defenders, but they're not stars by any stretch.

It depends on how they see Zadorov's future, and how much they believe in him.

I certainly don't want Carlo in that trade, but I'm grasping at straws here trying to justify a Landeskog to Boston trade that does not involve McAvoy.

Logic is proving elusive on this one lol

CoachBadkitten

Matt Hunwick
Jul 25, 2012
Colorado
I refuse to believe that after all these rumors of asking for a kings ransom, that sakic settles for Brandon friggin Carlo. There's gotta be some solid "+'s" if that's the deal. It just makes so little sense to trade the 24 year old Landeskog. Duchene I at least somewhat understood.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Well said Cobra. I have the same tin foil hat regarding landeskog. With him you know at his best he's 60-65 pts, Viking mode, hard nosed skilled forward. At his worst he's mistake prone, takes poor penalties and seems to have some injury issues.

I think Sakic is worried he may become Dustin Brown 2.0 and if that's the case you have to hold onto him forever and strip him of captaincy.

All of the Carlo bashing, and limited upside is great and all but we need to look at landeskog in the same light. Is he the 60 pt powerfoward that won the Calder or is he the 45 of 2nd line winger that can make you laugh, cry, and everything in between.

If Sakic believes it's the latter (and based on his dips in production I think it is too) get the most you can from him now. This isn't the best draft but a top 5 pick can replace him sooner than they can replace a top 4 d man.

Yeah, I don't think it's really that far fetched. I think he has some long term issues with his shoulder that started about a month into the 2015-16 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad