Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Related Topics 2016-17 Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Something I've always wondered but never asked :

Why does it matter if it goes over 1000 posts?

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA

I'm guessing it has something to do with the servers and threads with a massive amount of posts bogging them down. I could be way off though.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland

If the post count gets to 1269 all hell breaks loose. Last time that happened most of the mods at the time died trying to fix the chaos that ensued.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
If the post count gets to 1269 all hell breaks loose. Last time that happened most of the mods at the time died trying to fix the chaos that ensued.

Poor Bubba had to retire after that disaster.

Hope it never happens again....

mapletreemarty

Jan 26, 2017
Thunder Bay
I love how all these teams want to trade for one of our top players but don't want to give up one of their top prospects. They're not even subtracting from their current NHL lineup, and tearing it up in junior does not translate to success in the NHL.

If these prospects were such hot **** they'd be in the league now, they would force their way into a teams lineup at 18 or 19 years old. Is this the type of player we're asking from in Ottawa or Boston in Chabot or McAvoy? No.

You have to trade something in order to get something. That's why one of the GM's I respect most in this league is Dave Poille. Although having one of the only defensemen producing factories over the last 15 years that seems to spit out top 4 blueliners at an alarming rate sure as hell doesn't hurt.

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
So assuming the Avs make no trades and pick a forward and vegas take Soda (a lot of assumptions of course) the roster will be:

Landy - Mack - Rantanen
Jost? - Duchene - 1st Pick
Greer - Compher - Nieto
Comeau - Colborne - grigs

Zad - EJ
Beauchemin - Barrie
Bigras - Barb/Mironov

That's a lot of rookies. I don't think they'll have the impact they have had in Toronto so I'm assuming we'll be in for another bad year. But maybe just clearing out the dead weight will make things better for the team.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

The site probably uses MySQL (or something similar) as the under the hood relational database for all of the data. Each thread is therefore likely it's own row or 'container' (for lack of a better term), and unlimited number of entries per row/container could slow down the performance of the overall system, hence, the limit on posts/thread. Not sure why that number is 1,000, but it's probably a best practices thing. I bet the actual target number is 1,024, rather than 1,000. ;)

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
So assuming the Avs make no trades and pick a forward and vegas take Soda (a lot of assumptions of course) the roster will be:

Landy - Mack - Rantanen
Greer - Compher - Nieto

Zad - EJ
Beauchemin - Barrie
Bigras - Barb/Mironov

That's a lot of rookies. I don't think they'll have the impact they have had in Toronto so I'm assuming we'll be in for another bad year. But maybe just clearing out the dead weight will make things better for the team.

Highly doubt it will be Soderberg.

Think they will take the one of Grigorenko / Nieto we can't protect.

I am also 55 % certain that Duchene won't be on the roster in October.

Also our 1st round pick in 2017 will be more than likely not in the NHL next season.
Atleast I hope they won't.

Aside from Patrick and maybe Hischier (IMO he should play in the AHL next season if we pick him), no one is NHL ready in the top5.

So yeah. We should assume that next year won't be pretty either.

But it is the Avs. They shouldn't have been a playoff team in 2011 or 2014 either.

It will mainly depend on whether that surgery will fix Varlys issues and/or on Pickards development.

Wouldn't be the first time that the Avs finish way above their real talent level thanks to goaltending and youthful enthusiasm.

Oh and Bubba:

Guenin wasn't around so we needed another scapegoat. And you beating others with your walking cane over their heads and yelling at them kind of made you the obvious choice...

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
The site probably uses MySQL (or something similar) as the under the hood relational database for all of the data. Each thread is therefore likely it's own row or 'container' (for lack of a better term), and unlimited number of entries per row/container could slow down the performance of the overall system, hence, the limit on posts/thread. Not sure why that number is 1,000, but it's probably a best practices thing. I bet the actual target number is 1,024, rather than 1,000. ;)

Yep.

OT:

Do you work in IT AB?

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Is Zadorov exempt from the expansion draft because he's not technically under contract and therefore can't be picked?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Oh god... SQL talk. Please make it stop!

a646c45633cfab95a2aaf727480883aba7de652148fb3601db61853a62d3b3da.jpg

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Is Zadorov exempt from the expansion draft because he's not technically under contract and therefore can't be picked?

Vegas can choose players that don't have a contract. There is a minimum number of 18-18 contracts that they have to select, but that wouldn't stop them from picking Z.

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
Highly doubt it will be Soderberg.

Think they will take the one of Grigorenko / Nieto we can't protect.

I am also 55 % certain that Duchene won't be on the roster in October.

Also our 1st round pick in 2017 will be more than likely not in the NHL next season.
Atleast I hope they won't.

Aside from Patrick and maybe Hischier (IMO he should play in the AHL next season if we pick him), no one is NHL ready in the top5.

So yeah. We should assume that next year won't be pretty either.

But it is the Avs. They shouldn't have been a playoff team in 2011 or 2014 either.

It will mainly depend on whether that surgery will fix Varlys issues and/or on Pickards development.

Wouldn't be the first time that the Avs finish way above their real talent level thanks to goaltending and youthful enthusiasm.

Oh and Bubba:

Guenin wasn't around so we needed another scapegoat. And you beating others with your walking cane over their heads and yelling at them kind of made you the obvious choice...

I think it could be Soda for sure. Don't think they will take grigorenko. Nieto should be protected imo.

Protect: Duchene Mack landy Nieto zadarov ej Barrie beauch pickard

If you trade Duchene for hanifin/serg etc. you have another player slot to protect. Making Soda more likely to be protected. I think that this will hold up a Duchene trade from certain teams.

The above is why I said assume no trades. The Avs will most likely be worse after a Duchene trade (which I am against until we find out where the Avs draft and a team may be more likely to give up a young already protected asset).

I am assuming we will take hirschier or Patrick and slotting them in. If the Avs pick 3/4 i hope they take the defenseman ( I won't try to spell his name) although of course it's not a guarantee.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Is Patrick going to beef up? Looks really lanky and thin. Under 200 pounds at 6'3" usually isn't a good thing.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Is Patrick going to beef up? Looks really lanky and thin. Under 200 pounds at 6'3" usually isn't a good thing.

His frame is probably capable of 210-215, so he should. IIRC Scheifele was ~183-184 when he was drafted. They have similar frames.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

He's actually at a pretty healthy weight for his age. He was 17 the last time he was measured by his team and he was 6'3 198. You don't reach muscle maturity until like age 25. If Patrick's diet is absolutely on point and he's a freak at the gym since he was 13 it would still be tough to reach 200lbs at 17 years of age unless you have body fat which Patrick has almost none.

Dubois for example weighed in at 203 at the combine. Laine 201. I'd predict Patrick reaches 200 by the combine this year.

edit: LandyMack says he's already over 200.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

Landy - Mack - Rantanen
Greer - Compher - Nieto

Zad - EJ
Beauchemin - Barrie
Bigras - Barb/Mironov

I doubt they play that many rookies too, I'm sure they will sign some FAs. Not the exiting kind, the cheap kind.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
He's actually at a pretty healthy weight for his age. He was 17 the last time he was measured by his team and he was 6'3 198. You don't reach muscle maturity until like age 25. If Patrick's diet is absolutely on point and he's a freak at the gym since he was 13 it would still be tough to reach 200lbs at 17 years of age unless you have body fat which Patrick has almost none.

Dubois for example weighed in at 203 at the combine. Laine 201. I'd predict Patrick reaches 200 by the combine this year.

edit: LandyMack says he's already over 200.

Spot on. I'm 6'6 and I just hit 200 at the end of last year and I'm only 22. He will for sure hit 215-220 at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad