Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Related Topics 2016-17 Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Colborne's only here for another year so I'd pass on that. If they want Soderberg though.....

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Hypothetically, would you swap Colborne for Boedker? If Boedker isn't going to do anything in San Jose, they might be game for that move. They save 2 years and 1.5m off the cap next year. If Colby doesn't work for them, they can buy him out cheaper.

He doesn't fit with their top 6 and if he isn't in the top 6, he isn't a good player.

Hell to the freaking no.

That would be a horrible deal.

Colborne could be movable a year from now at the deadline.

With Boedker you are stuck for another 2 years.

He got paid and luckily is now someone elses problem.

Boedker isn't a good player. Top6 or no top6. Does not matter.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
EJ is not perfect but he is by far the best we have.

It is no surprise that we have gone from pretty bad to epic levels of suck because of his injury.

I think he would be a very good #2 D under the right circumstances.
But unfortunately the Avs don't seem capable of getting someone to push him down to that role.

If EJ would have elite hockey IQ, he would be a yearly Norris candidate so brainfarts are to be expected.

Especially on a blueline as putrid as ours.

@kento:

I see his name on the roster ;).

Zads is doing very well for being thrown into this tirefire. But he still is far away from being a good D in this league.

I would also argue that Barrie is still better even though 90 % of the board will disagree with me on that.

Trouba reminds me of EJ minus and inch or so which is why I don't want him to be the defensive target for dealing Duchene or Landeskog. He's good and still young and I'd welcome him but I think he'd frustrate if people were looking at him to be the #1 on our blueline and be a step up in the future from what EJ is.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Colborne's only here for another year so I'd pass on that. If they want Soderberg though.....

San Jose would want nothing to do with Soda. This would be a dump for them.

Hell to the freaking no.

That would be a horrible deal.

Why? Boedker who played well here and has a history of decent top 6 player for a player that Bednar will want bought out this summer.... seems like a salvage something out of nothing. Also not like cap space will be an issue next year either.

Colborne isn't movable as long as Bednar keeps him on the 4th line. The only way he moves is a buyout or swap for a bigger cap dump.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
San Jose would want nothing to do with Soda. This would be a dump for them.

Why? Boedker who played well here and has a history of decent top 6 player for a player that Bednar will want bought out this summer.... seems like a salvage something out of nothing. Also not like cap space will be an issue next year either.

Because IMO Boedker is not a decent top 6 player.
And I wouldn't even say he played all that well here.

He put up points (hot streak) . The rest of his game was not good.

And now he got paid. One of the last contracts I want to take on right now.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
So no waiver claim should ever be made? The Avs have called up 7 players this year (6 'earning' it... excluding Smith there). They have rewarded everybody who deserves it, but Compher and Bigras who were injured when there was a good chance. Compher, Bigras, and Greer will very likely get their call ups after some moves are made next month.

Going back to earlier, I don't personally care if they claim Nieto. If they do its a novelty, whatever. It's that they haven't tried to do ANYTHING to improve the roster in over a month. They aren't going to start now bringing in one 4th liner. They should have been doing whatever they realistically could to show that it's not ok what they have been doing and they haven't. Playing Henley and Grimaldi for one game isn't giving them a chance. It was completely stupid they brought Bourque up for one game. And all that happened over a month ago. Now they are watching the same collection of bums and downtrodden go out there every night and somehow expect different results, I doubt it. And it does matter if they claim guys, when they claimed Bodnarchuk every single D in SA gave up at that point, they knew they just got passed over. Siemens was even healthy then. Last few years it's they won't use guys from the minors because we gotta keep the illusions up of competing, now it's we gotta keep them away because of the dumpster fire/cap/nowhere to put the bums. Either way they still haven't properly used their minor league team. On the surface I get it, claim a guy kick the tires, why not maybe he's a hidden gem and if not dump him but the issues go deeper than that.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Going back to earlier, I don't personally care if they claim Nieto. If they do its a novelty, whatever. It's that they haven't tried to do ANYTHING to improve the roster in over a month. They aren't going to start now bringing in one 4th liner. They should have been doing whatever they realistically could to show that it's not ok what they have been doing and they haven't. Playing Henley and Grimaldi for one game isn't giving them a chance. It was completely stupid they brought Bourque up for one game. And all that happened over a month ago. Now they are watching the same collection of bums and downtrodden go out there every night and somehow expect different results, I doubt it. And it does matter if they claim guys, when they claimed Bodnarchuk every single D in SA gave up at that point, they knew they just got passed over. Siemens was even healthy then. Last few years it's they won't use guys from the minors because we gotta keep the illusions up of competing, now it's we gotta keep them away because of the dumpster fire/cap/nowhere to put the bums. Either way they still haven't properly used their minor league team. On the surface I get it, claim a guy kick the tires, why not maybe he's a hidden gem and if not dump him but the issues go deeper than that.

Saying they haven't tried to do ANYTHING is wrong. They just can't get anything done.

I'd argue that last year's non callups were either about development or players just not being good enough. Z needed a year. Rants needed a year. This year Compher and Greer need seasoning (Bigras should never have been sent down, I think we agree on that). Siemens isn't better than Bodnarchuk. This year Henley isn't better than Nieto (no forward on the Rampage outside of Greer or Compher even has the potential to be better over the next couple years... maybe Nantel in a few years, but I'd say that is unlikely). Like Andrighetto, this is a player that might be able to add some depth to the team. Nieto has been a solid NHL player for years. Not perfect, but he adds elements the Avs need going forward and has been good in a 3rd/4th line role. This isn't about the illusion of competing, this is about finding a guy who can potentially play a role on the team next year.

On G Bourque... I'd say that was smart. They didn't need him up and his waiver exemption doesn't have a ton of time left on it. Save it in case of injuries.

Because IMO Boedker is not a decent top 6 player.
And I wouldn't even say he played all that well here.

He put up points (hot streak) . The rest of his game was not good.

And now he got paid. One of the last contracts I want to take on right now.

Since the lockout year, Boedker has always put up points. He will produce offense and he isn't inept defensively. He isn't a perfect player, but he can be a complimentary top 6 player. Put him as a 3rd wheel on a line with Duchene or MacK and he will produce better than any 3rd wheel the Avs currently have.

$4m really isn't that big of a contract.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Because he'd be scoring more than 8 points on a team that's scored 19 less goals and is infinitely worse? Or would it be the intensity and tough battling on the boards and defensive play from him that would warm the cockles of Bednar's heart?

No it'd be the fact that he's got speed and skill, something only 4 forwards on this entire team possess. Boedker would make that 5.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Boedker is garbage and you should all be very glad I wasn't here to complain about it when we traded for him.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Since the lockout year, Boedker has always put up points. He will produce offense and he isn't inept defensively. He isn't a perfect player, but he can be a complimentary top 6 player. Put him as a 3rd wheel on a line with Duchene or MacK and he will produce better than any 3rd wheel the Avs currently have.

$4m really isn't that big of a contract.

Boedker always put up points yes. But IMO only because he was always fed minutes he absolutely did not deserve.

Last years point total for example was propped up by an absurd amount of PP time given to him by Arizona which promptly suckered the Avs into overpaying for him...

Yes Boedker would be better on this team than Colborne.
But Colborne will be gone after next season (with this season being a write-off anyways).

Boedker will still be overpaid in year 3 and 4. We are already stuck with Soda for good probably until then.

I don't want close to 8.75M locked up into two complimentary guys until 2020 who probably will both be not close to worth their contracts. I am sick of those bad contracts adding up and clogging up our capspace.

I also think that he simply got paid. He was all about the money in Arizona and also wanted way more than he deserved from the Avs IIRC.

Now that he got paid, I want no part of him. Especially after that start on a way better team.

Last edited:

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Nieto is a guy I'd like to have in the bottom-6.

If we were a properly run rebuilding team, we'd pick up guys like him and keep him around, then call up Bourque/Compher/Greer when we ship off the vets at the deadline.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I can understand not wanting to re-acquire Boedker, but he didn't "get paid". He's making the same amount David freaking Jones was making 5 years ago.

Bobby Ryan's contract is an albatross. Boedker's is a seagull.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Saying they haven't tried to do ANYTHING is wrong. They just can't get anything done.

I have no idea what they are working on with the trade front, I'm not talking about that. They have not called up one player in a month other than Goloubef or the goalies because of injury needs, they are rolling out the exact same lineup every night and swapping around the same bums.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I have no idea what they are working on with the trade front, I'm not talking about that. They have not called up one player in a month other than Goloubef or the goalies because of injury needs, they are rolling out the exact same lineup every night and swapping around the same bums.

Greer needs to be saved from an accrued season for a while longer. Compher and Bigras as just coming back from injury and need to get in full game shape (accrued season might matter for Bigras too, just checked it doesn't). Bourque still has a waiver exemption and is in a situation where if you call him up, you almost have to keep him up the rest of the season. Who else really deserves it? Siemens? He isn't a NHL player, and it seems the organization realizes it.

I know patience is hard, but just wait until after the All Star break and some moves start getting made. The Avs are letting this tank a bit farther, try to increase the value they can, and let the kids gather some confidence.

Last edited:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I'm not a fan of Boedker. Very one dimensional and his contract is ugly. Better just sweat out Colbornes deal.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I want Nieto, and would be more than happy re-acquiring Boedker if it meant getting rid of Colbourne/Soda.

Boedker would most likely go back to being a 40-50 point, one-dimensional streaky scorer at a 4 mil cap hit, still in his mid twentys. That doesn't sound horrible to me. Who exactly are we going to sign in free agency anyways? It would be players like Stafford, Berglund, or Williams anyways at a similar cap hit.

He has proven chemistry with both Duchene and Mackinnon. It's quite obvious we're more than just a piece or two away from contending, and we'll need some players to fill the spot. Best case scenario he bounces back and garners us a nice return in a few years. Worst case he's overpaid over the years that we still suck.

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
I discovered the other day that boy Wood who's destroying the AHL for Phoenix is like 6 feet 5. Delightful. Because we don't need defensemen fitting that description.

Still very sad.
No playoffs
Didn't resign ****
Lost the extra 2nd
Lost a future top 4 RHD (hopefully that's all he is lol)

As to scooping Boedker. He's probably overpaid by about 500k a year. He's definitely a middle 6 guy. I wouldn't hate having him back but he's not exactly a missing piece.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
New thread same leftovers

Boeds looked good here COMPLEMENTING our top 6. Would he look good here now or look like he does in SJ? Not sure, but it was clear Sakic wanted to keep him. Now Sakic doesn't have a stellar record with his Pro signings, so there is room for concern.

Wood is gone folks, he may be our new Boycheck or he may be our next Skoula. Either way, I'm pretty sure there is a thread for former Avs players where everyone can get the gripe on.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I'll add that I really hope they claim Nieto. The speed he brings along would be a really good addition to the roster.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Greer needs to be saved from an accrued season for a while longer. Compher and Bigras as just coming back from injury and need to get in full game shape (accrued season might matter for Bigras too, just checked it doesn't). Bourque still has a waiver exemption and is in a situation where if you call him up, you almost have to keep him up the rest of the season. Who else really deserves it? Siemens? He isn't a NHL player, and it seems the organization realizes it.

I know patience is hard, but just wait until after the All Star break and some moves start getting made. The Avs are letting this tank a bit farther, try to increase the value they can, and let the kids gather some confidence.

It's not about seeing the kids, it's about not putting out a group of individuals playing .100 hockey. So yeah, it is a tank. And we've already gone through the reasons why they won't be making a claim tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad