Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Related Topics 2016-17 Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
To piggyback on what was being said in the old thread...

I know he's loved, but am I the only one that isn't a fan of EJ's game? Way too many brain farts for my liking.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

I know he's loved, but am I the only one that isn't a fan of EJ's game? Way too many brain farts for my liking.

EJ is not perfect but he is by far the best we have.

It is no surprise that we have gone from pretty bad to epic levels of suck because of his injury.

I think he would be a very good #2 D under the right circumstances.
But unfortunately the Avs don't seem capable of getting someone to push him down to that role.

If EJ would have elite hockey IQ, he would be a yearly Norris candidate so brainfarts are to be expected.

Especially on a blueline as putrid as ours.

@kento:

I see his name on the roster ;).

Zads is doing very well for being thrown into this tirefire. But he still is far away from being a good D in this league.

I would also argue that Barrie is still better even though 90 % of the board will disagree with me on that.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=126388881&postcount=1052

That's not saying much...like at all. Even then I'd disagree with Barrie picking up his play. It's close.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=126388881&postcount=1052

I wouldn't make a trade as they're not the problem. Not to mention the fact that offence is as big a problem as defence for this avs. Trading away your best offensive player is a recipe for disaster.

If you really want to trade Landy/Duchene go get Trouba the value would be ****** but he's your best bet to be a #1.

lool Joem now you've done it!

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I would've liked Rattie and Nieto would be fine as well. I also think G. Bourque could do a better job on the 4th line than some of the regulars.

As fans we usually want them to claim any decent player who becomes available but why not do something when you're the worst team in the NHL? These guys probably won't make a difference and may even get waived soon afterwards but I think it's at least worth a shot. There's nothing to lose.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
So there's a thread about waivers on the NHL forum.

So, Avalanche get first shot...

But what's the bit about losing that first shot if they make a claim?

Making a claim doesn't bump a team to the end of the list. It's a common misconception since that's how most fantasy leagues handle waivers.

If the above is true, why are we saying we lose our waiver claim spot should we choose someone?

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK

I think EJ is done here. It's not that he's a bad defenseman, he's just too unreliable and injury prone for a franchise like this one to build around at this point. When we acquired him in 2011, he had room to grow. It's 6 years later, that room is gone, he is what he is. We might as well hand the reins over to Zadorov and Bigras and draft another potential stud if we can.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
That's too bad. Boedker wouldn't play 4th line, so no help there.

He wouldn't.

Boedker has 2 less points than Soderberg on a way, way better offensive team and is not exactly known for his grit and hard work.

Yeah he would.

Best thing Sakic did this offseason was letting him go.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Boedker would be eating nachos with Colborne on this team.

Wait, eating nachos with Colborne, or eating nachos because Colborne took his spot? Halfway through his first season and I want Colborne gone already.

Has it been long enough to say we didn't claim Nieto?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

He wouldn't.

Because he'd be scoring more than 8 points on a team that's scored 19 less goals and is infinitely worse? Or would it be the intensity and tough battling on the boards and defensive play from him that would warm the cockles of Bednar's heart?

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

He's on a 4 goal pace on a 1st place team, so.....yes, you're correct. That's probably 3rd line territory for Colorado. :)

We have slugs like Grigorenko and Iginla here in Colorado, and we're now pining away for a guy who is not even scoring at either of their pace, while on a much better team? With a $4M salary to boot? Tough times.

:help:

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Boedker's speed would keep him up. He would be an asset in the top 6. Not the perfect player, but he could complement Duchene or MacK just fine (he played well with both). Tippett is tougher than Bednar and had no issue giving Boedker minutes. I'd welcome him back.

forbzee44

May 7, 2014
Nieto could at least fill the void left by guys we eventually trade away this season, and he's young so he can stick around.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Boedker's speed would keep him up. He would be an asset in the top 6. Not the perfect player, but he could complement Duchene or MacK just fine (he played well with both). Tippett is tougher than Bednar and had no issue giving Boedker minutes. I'd welcome him back.

Where would we be without at least two lousy expensive contracts bogging down the roster moving forward? :D

Seriously, I didn't mind Boedker as a player. Didn't think he was all that good, but he certainly wasn't a slug. What happened to his game? He's on a good team, it should have worked for him. Wonder why it didn't.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Where would we be without at least two lousy expensive contracts bogging down the roster moving forward? :D

Seriously, I didn't mind Boedker as a player. Didn't think he was all that good, but he certainly wasn't a slug. What happened to his game? He's on a good team, it should have worked for him. Wonder why it didn't.

Hypothetically, would you swap Colborne for Boedker? If Boedker isn't going to do anything in San Jose, they might be game for that move. They save 2 years and 1.5m off the cap next year. If Colby doesn't work for them, they can buy him out cheaper.

He doesn't fit with their top 6 and if he isn't in the top 6, he isn't a good player.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
I hate Colborne much more than Boedker but I don't want Boedker's contract. San Jose can just live with that one. Paying Boedker $4 million per season until 2020 is not appealing.

I didn't know about the waiver rule...so do the Avs get first dibs on everybody or how does it work once you've claimed a player?

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Hypothetically, would you swap Colborne for Boedker? If Boedker isn't going to do anything in San Jose, they might be game for that move. They save 2 years and 1.5m off the cap next year. If Colby doesn't work for them, they can buy him out cheaper.

He doesn't fit with their top 6 and if he isn't in the top 6, he isn't a good player.

I'd make that trade. I don't love overpaying Boedker for the little he's done so far this season, as I think he's decreased his own value substantially, but I am that done with Colborne and his uselessness.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

If the Avs were a little out of the playoff hunt, or if Boedker wasn't so pitiful right now, I might give that some thought. But given where they are now? No, I don't think I'd do it. They need to be in major asset-building mode, and don't need another contract albatross.

There is a thought that comes to mind here though. If the Avs were going to trade either Duchene or Landeskog for a good defenseman, then having another legitimate top 6 wing (at $2M less than Duchene/Landeskog) on the roster would not be a bad thing. And Boedker is only a year older than Duchene. Then the trade becomes Duchene+Colborne for Defenseman+otherDucheneTradeAsset+Boedker.

Interesting thought there, Hench. But I'll still pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad