Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Related Topics 2016-17 Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
It is pretty well proven that most players' primes end in the 28-30 range and after that there is a sharp drop off in production. Based on that alone, Duchene will very likely drop off. Combine that with his knee issues (and I believe he has only had one surgery, but repeated MCL tears take a toll... trust me I've torn my right one 5 times now) and he is bound to drop off. He isn't going to be a ~60 point player until his late 30s... if he is at that point, call me out and I will fully admit wrong.

With Duchene there is already evidence of him being less effective without that extra step. Most people don't want to admit this, but he has already peaked. We've seen the very best of Duchene and are now just riding the last of his 3-4-5 prime years. I think when he loses the extra bit of speed that he has now, he is going to be a far less effective player. He isn't big or smart enough to overcome not having an extreme advantage in speed (even with his lost step, he is still one of the best skaters in the league right now). ROR is smart enough to overcome his lost steps, and he doesn't have nearly the knee injury history. McDavid is looking more and more like a legit generational player... those players don't drop off. They are freaks, not the norm.

Oh I don't believe he will be a 60+ point player into his late 30's, but that still really has nothing to do with the Gomez argument that began this. Gomez fell off a cliff over night. A player peaking in their mid 20's, plateauing, then entering a slow and gradual decline up until the point of retirement is pretty much the path of every good forward in the league. If this HabsGorgeous fellow wants to argue that Duchene is going to follow that path he can knock himself out. A boring and self-obvious argument, but a likely correct one nonetheless based on what most NHLers do. But what he's basically saying is that right after the trade happens, just like the McDonagh / Gomez swap, is that Duchene will quickly turn into Gomez, Sergachev will quickly turn into McDonagh, and boom, another terrible trade for the Habs. He's essentially arguing that Duchene is done within the next 1-2 years here or so based on the entire comparison he's drawing.

ROR is not a brilliant skater, but obviously it's passable and he's smart enough to make it work. But slow him down significantly from where he is now and I don't agree that he still makes it work to nearly the same extent, or that he could manage to be nearly as effective at both ends of the ice. He would have to overcompensate somewhere, and that would either result in a significant drop in his defensive play or offensive zone play. If you slow him down significantly he can't keep enough to backcheck the way he does, and he couldn't have his feet keep up with his mind reading and cutting off plays, while also playing down low offensively. At some point he couldn't manage that anymore and he either becomes neutered offensively, or useless defensively. I acknowledged that of course McDavid would still be excellent, but take away his speed significantly, a still excellent skater, and he would lose a bit of an edge that he currently has. His ability to move at top speed with the puck turns most defenders into a pretzel. There's nobody in the league who has his combination of speed, talent, and intelligence, and his intelligence allows him to maximize that speed to the point of being unstoppable.

I don't really think it's that shocking to think that Duchene has peaked and is now plateauing. Based on his age that is where he should be right about now. I could see him having one more 'great' season within the next few years if he gets out of here, but he certainly won't get consistently better. Obviously if he drastically slows down that changes everything - but as I believe, that argument can be said for every player, which in turn means it's not a valid argument - but if you just take away a bit more speed I think he makes it work quite comfortably. All I really see is him, if that does happen, transforming from an offense generator who runs a line to someone who becomes more of a 1B player on his line with a really good linemate - possibly with Duchene on the wing even - and he transforms into more a goal scorer who excels down low. He's quite strong on his feet, is shifty, and has really good hands with the puck and in terms of finishing. I think he can make that transition, and I don't think you're giving him quite enough credit for his intelligence. His game has changed quite a bit since his rookie season, and he has shown an ability to change his game in a fairly impressive fashion in my view. The goal scoring Duchene of last year when he was on MacKinnon's wing for a bit was completely different from his normal style. I really don't see him having any drastic fall off unless something happens and his speed just collapses, but that is a risk with practically anyone in the league regarding an unforeseen circumstance.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Who would you suggest. The only real option is bigras. Is it worth bringing him into this mess? I personally don't think so, but you watch the rampage more than I do.

I don't buy into sheltering the fragile snowflakes angle. They need NHL experience at some point. Plus bringing up multiple guys will probably increase the give a damn on the team. There's no reason to block them with even more bodies in front of them for some minuscule improvement.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Come on Aves fans. They have to trade Duchene within the next 16 months. They have like zero leverage. :shakehead

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Barberio could potentially solve the exposure contract issue (I think he'd need 14 more games), but I don't think he is worth a pickup. More interestingly, Montreal seems to be getting ready for something else. Nesterov... then waiving Redmond and Barberio...

Did Redmond clear? It's possible they're just doing what the Avs did and hoping someone grabs one of these guys, and brought in Nesterov as an upgrade in their view for the bottom pair?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Oh I don't believe he will be a 60+ point player into his late 30's, but that still really has nothing to do with the Gomez argument that began this. Gomez fell off a cliff over night. A player peaking in their mid 20's, plateauing, then entering a slow and gradual decline up until the point of retirement is pretty much the path of every good forward in the league. If this HabsGorgeous fellow wants to argue that Duchene is going to follow that path he can knock himself out. A boring and self-obvious argument, but a likely correct one nonetheless based on what most NHLers do. But what he's basically saying is that right after the trade happens, just like the McDonagh / Gomez swap, is that Duchene will quickly turn into Gomez, Sergachev will quickly turn into McDonagh, and boom, another terrible trade for the Habs. He's essentially arguing that Duchene is done within the next 1-2 years here or so based on the entire comparison he's drawing.

ROR is not a brilliant skater, but obviously it's passable and he's smart enough to make it work. But slow him down significantly from where he is now and I don't agree that he still makes it work to nearly the same extent, or that he could manage to be nearly as effective at both ends of the ice. He would have to overcompensate somewhere, and that would either result in a significant drop in his defensive play or offensive zone play. If you slow him down significantly he can't keep enough to backcheck the way he does, and he couldn't have his feet keep up with his mind reading and cutting off plays, while also playing down low offensively. At some point he couldn't manage that anymore and he either becomes neutered offensively, or useless defensively. I acknowledged that of course McDavid would still be excellent, but take away his speed significantly, a still excellent skater, and he would lose a bit of an edge that he currently has. His ability to move at top speed with the puck turns most defenders into a pretzel. There's nobody in the league who has his combination of speed, talent, and intelligence, and his intelligence allows him to maximize that speed to the point of being unstoppable.

I don't really think it's that shocking to think that Duchene has peaked and is now plateauing. Based on his age that is where he should be right about now. I could see him having one more 'great' season within the next few years if he gets out of here, but he certainly won't get consistently better. Obviously if he drastically slows down that changes everything - but as I believe, that argument can be said for every player, which in turn means it's not a valid argument - but if you just take away a bit more speed I think he makes it work quite comfortably. All I really see is him, if that does happen, transforming from an offense generator who runs a line to someone who becomes more of a 1B player on his line with a really good linemate - possibly with Duchene on the wing even - and he transforms into more a goal scorer who excels down low. He's quite strong on his feet, is shifty, and has really good hands with the puck and in terms of finishing. I think he can make that transition, and I don't think you're giving him quite enough credit for his intelligence. His game has changed quite a bit since his rookie season, and he has shown an ability to change his game in a fairly impressive fashion in my view. The goal scoring Duchene of last year when he was on MacKinnon's wing for a bit was completely different from his normal style. I really don't see him having any drastic fall off unless something happens and his speed just collapses, but that is a risk with practically anyone in the league regarding an unforeseen circumstance.

I'm not defending what that poster has said (I haven't read any of it), but just saying that Duchene having a fall off around 30 isn't a crazy thought. A big difference between Duchene and Gomez at the time of the trades is age. Duchene has prime years left, Gomez was exiting his prime.

I still believe Gomez's groin caused his downfall. It became wonky and he lost his big edge... once that was gone, he didn't have much to fall back on.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
I don't agree with rushing any player right now. Management has to be smart enough to know when a player is done developing and they should bring them up then, not before. TV you are always preaching asset management and putting a team on the ice that will eventually be good and this goes into it. I don't think you bring up anyone who is not ready. Our season is lost, no reason to make it worse for the future.

Of course there are many ways to skin a cat, but that is the way I would look at it. I have to think Bigras' injuries have held his development back and that is the reason he is still in SA.

Last edited:

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Any trade involving Landeskog/Duchene will impact the Avs for years to come, so they need to take their time and find the best deal; or keep said players if there is no beneficial deal to be made.

Definitely...... the right trades need to be made or they shouldn't be made at all.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't agree with rushing any player right now. Management has to be smart enough to know when a player has no more room to develop and they should bring them up then, not before. TV you are always preaching asset management and putting a team on the ice that will eventually be good. This goes into it. I don't think you bring up anyone who is not ready. Our season is lost, no reason to make it worse for the future.

Getting an opportunity is part of development. It's not a one way street where once they come up they have to stay. Getting NHL experience is valuable and is a reward to show guys who have earned their shot. If we should be worried about anyone it's Martin, who it's too early for him and he's sitting on the bench too much. Not a defenseman who already spent half a season in the NHL, a 4th year pro defenseman, and two forwards who are the best on the team in the AHL and are physically ready.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Getting an opportunity is part of development. It's not a one way street where once they come up they have to stay. Getting NHL experience is valuable and is a reward to show guys who have earned their shot. If we should be worried about anyone it's Martin, who it's too early for him and he's sitting on the bench too much. Not a defenseman who already spent half a season in the NHL, a 4th year pro defenseman, and two forwards who are the best on the team in the AHL and are physically ready.

True, I edited my post a little bit and added a paragraph. Like I said there are many ways to skin a cat. I just think it would be really dumb to rush anybody at this particular point in the game, especially just to fill a whole or whatnot.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The Avs need roles to bring those players up. Right now those roles are not available. In time they will be. Grimaldi needs to be added to that list... I'd argue Lindholm over Siemens, but I don't think either should be up.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
The Avs need roles to bring those players up. Right now those roles are not available. In time they will be. Grimaldi needs to be added to that list... I'd argue Lindholm over Siemens, but I don't think either should be up.

So hopefully we can shed some if this dead weight in the next month or so and then we can start bringing people up. I'd agree with that. Like I said though, we really shouldn't rush anyone....give them a shot or two so they can see what they have to work on or something, but don't rush them. If I'm Sakic I am thinking 2-3-4 years down the road. This will probably be a long project.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
I would take barbeiro off waivers in case they manage to trade both Tyutin and Beach to not have to rely on pure ahl players on the left side (+ zads)

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
If they grab Barbeiro, they can expose him and if he's not claimed (which he most likely won't be) you can let Gelinas and Weircioch go this summer. Avs should let both of them go. More or less useless. Plays the wrong way.

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
I don't buy into sheltering the fragile snowflakes angle. They need NHL experience at some point. Plus bringing up multiple guys will probably increase the give a damn on the team. There's no reason to block them with even more bodies in front of them for some minuscule improvement.

EDIT: To be clear I am not advocating bringing in barbejro. Think it would just be more of the same and agree with you.

Fair enough but you are bringing up one defensemen. The rest are all AHL caliber. Nothing else really worth it this year.

The rest are forwards. If it were me I would bring up Compher Greer and Grimaldi. I can get behind that but what do you do with the guys who aren't playing. Send them to the AHL and pay their salaries? You hope that once the NHL team makes some trades (bourque/iggy/Mitchell/tyutin) that the four aforementioned guys will get a chance and I believe they will. Someone has to play.

But for now I think the Avs are stuck. They won't send down these guys and pay their salaries. Very few teams would. (I don't even know if it would work with the salary cap and where we are on it).

Avalanche

Mar 18, 2011
Cornwall
Not much from Freidman's 30 thoughts this week

20. Matt Duchene took some heat last week for saying, “I’m open to it,” when asked by the Denver Post about being traded. Look, he’s getting asked about it every day and will get asked about it every day until it happens. Not every answer is going to be sunshine and unicorns.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Would there be any interest in this package from Philly around either Duchene or Landeskog

:flyers

C Matt Duchene

:avs

LW Travis Konecny
D Travis Sanheim

Seems reasonable but I don't know what either Travis's ceiling is

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Would there be any interest in this package from Philly around either Duchene or Landeskog

:flyers

C Matt Duchene

:avs

LW Travis Konecny
D Travis Sanheim

Seems reasonable but I don't know what either Travis's ceiling is

It's not an awful proposal in all honesty. Far from the worst obviously, but I'd still want someone more proven coming back for Duchene. As a base I could get around something like that though.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Barberio would just become the latest Gelinas/Tyutin/Goloubef/Wiercioch. We get a bunch of these 6th-7th dmen every year.

Enough with that crap already.

Last edited:

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Barberio would be just become the latest Gelinas/Tyutin/Goloubef/Wiercioch. We get a bunch of these 6th-7th dmen every year.

Enough with that crap already.

The only way picking him up makes sense if he would fulfil the expansion draft requirement for us.

I am getting a bit nervous that they still haven't adressed this.

So picking up a cheap guy on waivers that takes care of that might be worth it if it prevents us from having to seriously discuss extension with one of the other clowns.

Aside from that I don't want him...

Konecny + Sanheim would be decent. Not a deal I would love but one I could talk myself into probably. We could do worse.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
I'm higher on Konecny than Sanheim. But hat's a ton of value. I think Konecny is going to be a great scorer with tons of jam for his size ala Robby Fabbri. Philly fans would freak if you said it would take that much...some BS about "No way the differnece between Matt Duchene and Travis Konecny is Travis Sanheim!" I'd probably do it with Myers and not Sanheim too.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
The only way picking him up makes sense if he would fulfil the expansion draft requirement for us.

I am getting a bit nervous that they still haven't adressed this.

So picking up a cheap guy on waivers that takes care of that might be worth it if it prevents us from having to seriously discuss extension with one of the other clowns.

Aside from that I don't want him...

Konecny + Sanheim would be decent. Not a deal I would love but one I could talk myself into probably. We could do worse.

I'm not. Either they know Beauch will waive or sign one of the scrubs. It's not an issue.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm not. Either they know Beauch will waive or sign one of the scrubs. It's not an issue.

Well one of the scrubs coming back would be an issue. :nod:

Really I would prefer that whoever is expansion eligible to have the ability to be buried completely. Beyond that, I really don't care who it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad