Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Related Topics 2016-17 Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Carrying over the conversation from the last thread...

Ordinarily guys like Mitchell and Bourque wouldn't generate much interest at the deadline, but as of now there's 28 teams looking to be buyers, and only 2 looking to be sellers. The Avs might have the market cornered on available rentals.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't see why any team that's ahead of us would look at a player like John Mitchell, given the season he's had, and give up a single asset for him. He looks like a 4th line AHL centre out there this year.

Others may be different. Tyutin has been "ok". Bourque started off hot, maybe he can catch fire (and has a history of being very, very streaky). Gelinas is young enough and has a booming shot that a team may think he can really help their PP. Wiercioch hasn't been awful.

Really, if I'm a GM on 28 other teams, the three players I'm staying the hell away from are Jarome Iginla, Francois Beauchemin, and John Mitchell.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
To return to the discussion from the previous thread, Zack Smith is just what we need. A very good 3rd liner who is great on the PK, can play in a defensive role and bring an element of toughness to the team.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I'd prefer Kruger over Smith personally even with the more limited offensive game. Plus I think you could get a little extra value back (or less value out i.e.: Gelinas/Mitchell/etc) to take on Kruger.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I don't see why any team that's ahead of us would look at a player like John Mitchell, given the season he's had, and give up a single asset for him. He looks like a 4th line AHL centre out there this year.

Others may be different. Tyutin has been "ok". Bourque started off hot, maybe he can catch fire (and has a history of being very, very streaky). Gelinas is young enough and has a booming shot that a team may think he can really help their PP. Wiercioch hasn't been awful.

Really, if I'm a GM on 28 other teams, the three players I'm staying the hell away from are Jarome Iginla, Francois Beauchemin, and John Mitchell.

I think it all depends on a team's desperation. IMO, the relative health of the contending teams will have a meaningful effect on the Avs return at the deadline, because as you say, our rentals are fairly meh as a group. If an otherwise contending team is down a couple of injured centers, I could easily see someone going after Mitchell. The Avs won't get anything really good for him, but that doesn't mean he won't bring back anything. I think other teams' GMs know that most Avs players are probably going to look better on their squads than they currently do in the midst of Colorado's train wreck. That doesn't mean they'll overpay for them, but they'll still pay. I don't expect Beauchemin to be moved. Due to contract.

On the tank side of things, Colorado is approaching record territory. If we look at the current 4-21-2 stretch, we're almost there. Compare to other multi-game stretches of recent tanks:

2008-09: 10-25-4
The inital Granato tank. Very nicely done.

2012-13: 5-15-3
Though in a shortened season - who knows what could have been accomplished with a full 82 game schedule? Life is so unfair at times.

2010-11: 4-26-2
Ah yes, the shining example to which all other tanks will be compared. They have a real shot at the gold medal podium here in the next few weeks. :yo:

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Hey the Dallas Stars and Tampa Bay Lightning are the 3rd & 4th worst teams in the NHL right now.

I guess that means their core players suck?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'd prefer Kruger over Smith personally even with the more limited offensive game. Plus I think you could get a little extra value back (or less value out i.e.: Gelinas/Mitchell/etc) to take on Kruger.

There is an enormous difference on the offensive side of the puck. Smith will pot as many goals as Kruger does points. Smith is a solid #3C. Kruger is an elite #4C, and will always be that because the offense just isn't there.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
So nice to see everyone's favorite GM Jim Nill fail. Can't draft worth a damn, pays 11 mil for two goalies that can't stop the puck, his D is a mess and the only good thing he did was basically driven by the stupidity of Cam Neely. Everyone's favorite son in Tampa isn't doing too brilliantly as well.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Hey the Dallas Stars and Tampa Bay Lightning are the 3rd & 4th worst teams in the NHL right now.

I guess that means their core players suck?

Parity, but both are flawed teams. Dallas has no defense and abysmal goaltending. Tampa has this weird mix of forwards with Stamkos out. Kucherov is great, but the rest are a bunch of good, but not quite great players and they don't have much strength down the middle (not a big fan of running Tyler Johnson as a #1C). Then Yzerman played with fire on the goalies and got burned. Bishop knows he is out, but he is still kind of the main starter. Vasilevsky hasn't been great, but he is in a weird spot where he is the starter, but not. Neither goalie can really find their footing. IMO Yzerman needs to make a Bishop move soon and then shore up the center position.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK

I disagree, especially about Mitchell. I think given his previous stats, its obvious that he's playing well beneath his abilities this season. He's an upcoming UFA, no team is obligated to keep him, and he's more likely than not going to play better for his new team than he has for the Avs.

If I'm a contending team in need of depth, Mitchell is an attractive 4th line center and probably worth gambling a 4th round pick on.

It's Beauchemin's salary of $4.5 million next year that really looks scary at this point.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Who needs a 4th liner that can't be trusted in defensive situations and on the PK? You want guys who are reliable, play a simple game and stay within its limits, not guys who freelance and offer nothing outside of scoring a goal here and there.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Mitchell isn't likely going to get anything worthwhile at the deadline. As Ivan said, who needs that 4th liner in the playoffs? A team wanting Mitchell would want him for his depth scoring ability, which has disappeared under Bednar. Without that, Mitchell is useless.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Mitchell isn't likely going to get anything worthwhile at the deadline. As Ivan said, who needs that 4th liner in the playoffs? A team wanting Mitchell would want him for his depth scoring ability, which has disappeared under Bednar. Without that, Mitchell is useless.

This is my point. He's not great and we all know it, but he can and has appeared useful under any other coach. Safe to assume anywhere else he'd have more than 1 goal by now.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I disagree, especially about Mitchell. I think given his previous stats, its obvious that he's playing well beneath his abilities this season. He's an upcoming UFA, no team is obligated to keep him, and he's more likely than not going to play better for his new team than he has for the Avs.

If I'm a contending team in need of depth, Mitchell is an attractive 4th line center and probably worth gambling a 4th round pick on.

It's Beauchemin's salary of $4.5 million next year that really looks scary at this point.

As has already been said, Mitchell is useless. Not good defensively, has lost a step this year skating-wise which is very noticeable, isn't physical, and can't score even the odd goal anymore. Hell, he doesn't even have an assist and we're over half way into the season.

The guy was placed on waivers for a reason. Maybe to send a message but I'm of the belief that Sakic/Bednar see what we see: A player who is finished, and they simply wanted to rid themselves of him.

Nobody will be trading for John Mitchell at the deadline.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
My Mitchell optimism is based on a Mitchell for AHL depth guy like deal. Avs need bodies to bring up the kids.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
My Mitchell optimism is based on a Mitchell for AHL depth guy like deal. Avs need bodies to bring up the kids.

I'd take anything for him right now.

My dream scenario is for the Avs to trade Iginla, Bourque, Mitchell, Martinsen, Tyutin, and one of Wiercioch/Gelinas. Outside wishes of them trading Beauchemin, not holding out hope for that one.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The guy was placed on waivers for a reason. Maybe to send a message but I'm of the belief that Sakic/Bednar see what we see: A player who is finished, and they simply wanted to rid themselves of him.

IMO Mitchell quit when that happened. Not exactly the right thing to do, but from a human perspective, I can't say I necessarily blame him.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'd take anything for him right now.

My dream scenario is for the Avs to trade Iginla, Bourque, Mitchell, Martinsen, Tyutin, and one of Wiercioch/Gelinas. Outside wishes of them trading Beauchemin, not holding out hope for that one.

I don't personally think that Bourque, Marty, or Gelinas hold any value at this point. I'd be surprised if any of them got a return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad