Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Related Topics 2016-17 Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Avs can eat half of Beachemin's salary and replace him with an ELC player and it still will be cheaper than buying him out this summer.

They have no option with him. He can't pass the puck and his decision making has gone to hell. He's making no adjustment at all to compensate for being slow and bad. It's almost the opposite. The worse he's getting, the more risks he's taking. He's making Roy and Sakic look real bad for showing faith in him.

You can't bring him back. Whatever voice he brought to the dressing room hasn't worked. Same with Iginla. Seems to have blown up in Avs faces, leadership wise.

I think Avs might prefer AHL projects/gambles over mid round draft picks for our rentals. It's been their MO in the past. They love reclamations projects. Never works, but they love them. Also helps with the body count if you are going to move out 3-4 players. Replace them in the NHL with our AHLers and replace those AHLers with the new AHLers.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Sens, Montreal and Toronto are the worst.

Right now I like Sens fans the least.

Oh and I wouldn't do Bigras + Patrick/Hischier/Liljegren for Drouin.

Might make me a homer but I never understood the huge Drouin hype or why we absolutely have to pair him with Mac.

Avs need defense. Not another highly skilled offensive player that would be completely stifled on the Avs thanks to a horrid blueline...

I don't know, I think they're alright. They don't completely trash the player they want.

It's not Bigras + Patrick/Nico/ Liljegren. At the time it would've been Bigras+Jost.

Another highly skilled player? The avs only have 2 up front lol.

When this was being discussed I don't think it would have taken that much to get it done anyway. Probably would have taken a lesser prospect and a lower draft pick and a Nick Holden as crazy as that sounds.

I doubt Holden plus Siemens would've gotten it done. No way IMO. If so, he'd be playing for the avs right now.

It's not a value question at all, but for God's sake, look at this roster and try to justify trading a good defenseman for a forward.

Well in that hypothetical proposal the avs wouldn't have given up a good NHL defensemen.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Sens, Montreal and Toronto are the worst.

Right now Toronto is the least offensive because they have bought into what management has told them that is patience and they have been humbled quite a bit thanks to years of suffering.

Right now I like Sens fans the least.

Oh and I wouldn't do Bigras + Patrick/Hischier/Liljegren for Drouin.

Might make me a homer but I never understood the huge Drouin hype or why we absolutely have to pair him with Mac.

Avs need defense. Not another highly skilled offensive player that would be completely stifled on the Avs thanks to a horrid blueline...

Obviously at the time, we were talking about just a standard 1st, not a probable top 3 pick.

But to counter the bolded, the Avs need everything. They desperately need virtually everything.

EDIT* That said, the last thing the Avs should be doing is consolidating assets.

Last edited:

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Obviously at the time, we were talking about just a standard 1st, not a probable top 3 pick.

But to counter the bolded, the Avs need everything. They desperately need virtually everything.

With Mac, Rantanen and Jost I really don't think the Avs lack in the skill department up front even if they trade Landy and Duchene.

If they keep one of them I just don't see it.

Avs don't lack high end forwards (an elite guy like McDavid or Matthews of course would be nice but that is never gonna happen until we get lucky in the draft).

Avs certainly lack forward depth. But that won't and shouldn't be fixed by bringing in another high end offensive first forwards that wants to get paid...

What the Avs really lack for 1.5 decades now is having an even average D to help these forwards out..

I don't think we have had more than 3 or 4 seasons where this group was not bottom 5 in the league during that timespan...

So I disagree with the notion that the Avs lack top end forwards.
Atleast not before they have made any trades...

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't personally think that Bourque, Marty, or Gelinas hold any value at this point. I'd be surprised if any of them got a return.

Marty probably not because he hasn't done much in the NHL, and Gelinas probably not because he's never done much of anything but prove he's a liability defensively. Playoff teams don't want that.

UFA vets like Bourque, Mitchell, and Tyutin are guys that playoff teams might want though. Even just as 13th forwards or a 7th/8th defenseman. Simply because no one else is offering up their UFA depth guys.

They'll be cheap price wise at the deadline, and they will only cost mid to late round picks to get. Playoff teams will want guys like that. Guys that don't have bad contracts, and they don't have to worry about protecting in the expansion draft. As of now only the Avs and Arizona are selling players like that.

If you look at Arizona too, they're selling UFA's with bigger roles, that will cost a bit more in trade. Guys like Hanzal, Stone, and Vrbata.

The Avs have more of the cheap guys that you can bring in for depth, and just scratch if you want. Mitchell, Bourque, and Tyutin can play that role for them, and just be cheap veteran depth that every team wants going into the playoffs.

It doesn't matter that they're crappy veteran depth, it's that no one else is giving up their veteran depth. Arizona only has one UFA veteran guy that will come cheap, and that's Ryan White.

It's like when you need to get something for your house, and only the 99 cent store is open.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
One other important thing to keep in mind with regard to the timing of a Duchene and/or Landy trade(s): there are only 6 pts separating the 28th team to the 12th with almost half a season to go. So if Sakic demands a #1 draft pick from another team that pick might look quite a bit different comes TDL or draft day. Sakic might prfer to wait quite a bit longer to see if teams will separate themselves a bit more and therefore have a better picture of the final draft board.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I still don't understand how Beauchmin is only a -5 and therefore by the far the best when it comes to players playing 35 + games this season...

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Marty probably not because he hasn't done much in the NHL, and Gelinas probably not because he's never done much of anything but prove he's a liability defensively. Playoff teams don't want that.

UFA vets like Bourque, Mitchell, and Tyutin are guys that playoff teams might want though. Even just as 13th forwards or a 7th/8th defenseman. Simply because no one else is offering up their UFA depth guys.

They'll be cheap price wise at the deadline, and they will only cost mid to late round picks to get. Playoff teams will want guys like that. Guys that don't have bad contracts, and they don't have to worry about protecting in the expansion draft. As of now only the Avs and Arizona are selling players like that.

If you look at Arizona too, they're selling UFA's with bigger roles, that will cost a bit more in trade. Guys like Hanzal, Stone, and Vrbata.

The Avs have more of the cheap guys that you can bring in for depth, and just scratch if you want. Mitchell, Bourque, and Tyutin can play that role for them, and just be cheap veteran depth that every team wants going into the playoffs.

It doesn't matter that they're crappy veteran depth, it's that no one else is giving up their veteran depth. Arizona only has one UFA veteran guy that will come cheap, and that's Ryan White.

It's like when you need to get something for your house, and only the 99 cent store is open.

The deadline is still 5 weeks away, the picture will be clearer around that time and other cheap and better players will show up. I just can't see anybody really wanting Bourque or Mitchell. Tyutin has value, probably the most of any UFA outside of Iggy.

One other important thing to keep in mind with regard to the timing of a Duchene and/or Landy trade(s): there are only 6 pts separating the 28th team to the 12th with almost half a season to go. So if Sakic demands a #1 draft pick from another team that pick might look quite a bit different comes TDL or draft day. Sakic might prfer to wait quite a bit longer to see if teams will separate themselves a bit more and therefore have a better picture of the final draft board.

If Sakic waits, the sellers will become more evident. At least 3-5 teams will join the list of sellers, probably more. Not that Sakic really has much of a choice for a bit as the buyers themselves are wanting to wait to see how they look in mid Feb.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
No matter how much i dislike Sakic's GM abilities, even he's not stupid enough to trade Duchene or Landeskog for more prospects. ROR trade was a more of a panic trade because the time was running out, and he was demanding big money, but Duchene, Landeskog are signed to good contracts, there is no reason to panic and trade them for more prospects.

That's what makes it unlikely that both those players will be traded, Avs are asking too much, no one is gonna give up too much, no reason for the Avs to panic and take less. I just don't see a deal.

As far as improving the D, it's still a long process. Maybe they will win the lottery next year and draft Dahlin. Drafting is the only legit way i see them improving the D.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Avs can eat half of Beachemin's salary and replace him with an ELC player and it still will be cheaper than buying him out this summer.

They have no option with him. He can't pass the puck and his decision making has gone to hell. He's making no adjustment at all to compensate for being slow and bad. It's almost the opposite. The worse he's getting, the more risks he's taking. He's making Roy and Sakic look real bad for showing faith in him.

You can't bring him back. Whatever voice he brought to the dressing room hasn't worked. Same with Iginla. Seems to have blown up in Avs faces, leadership wise.

I think Avs might prefer AHL projects/gambles over mid round draft picks for our rentals. It's been their MO in the past. They love reclamations projects. Never works, but they love them. Also helps with the body count if you are going to move out 3-4 players. Replace them in the NHL with our AHLers and replace those AHLers with the new AHLers.

Wouldn't surprise me if the players on this team actually contributing tuned him out a long time ago given how bad he is.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
If that's the case, in than SAkic needs to go.:cry:

I'm not saying that was on the table. That's my guess of something we may have been able to pull off. There were rumors on these boards of people saying a deal that apparently was on the table but I forget what that was exactly.

I know for a that Drouin's asking price definitely wasn't TOP prospect value though.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
I'm not saying that was on the table. That's my guess of something we may have been able to pull off. There were rumors on these boards of people saying a deal that apparently was on the table but I forget what that was exactly.

I know for a that Drouin's asking price definitely wasn't TOP prospect value though.

How do you know what the asking price was?

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Out of curiosity, Mitchell's remaining contract at $1.8 million is a trade deterrent, but Tyutin's at $2.0 isn't? They're both bottom rung options for any team that is competitive.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!

I don't think it was ever revealed other than surprisingly light.

Who knows with that situation, seemed weird all around.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't think it was ever revealed other than surprisingly light.

Who knows with that situation, seemed weird all around.

The story is they had a deal for 1st, Wood, Holden that fell apart last second. If it's indeed true then I think someone told Stevie to have his head examined because I don't believe they would have ever pulled the trigger on that. So choose to believe what you want with that but that's the rumor.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
If Sakic waits, the sellers will become more evident. At least 3-5 teams will join the list of sellers, probably more. Not that Sakic really has much of a choice for a bit as the buyers themselves are wanting to wait to see how they look in mid Feb.
You are right. He could be damn if he waits and damn if he doesn't. Just saying that Sakic might prefer to wait to see where that 1st pick would be more likely to land.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
As they should Cowen is crap. lol

This is back when Drouin took his ball and went home. His value was at it's lowest, I suggest the idea of 1st + one of Biras/Zads. A lot didn't like that.

He means laughed at, as in scoffed at that....as if they wouldn't do it because Cowen was included.

Out of curiosity, Mitchell's remaining contract at $1.8 million is a trade deterrent, but Tyutin's at $2.0 isn't? They're both bottom rung options for any team that is competitive.

These contracts won't be much against the cap with 20 games left in the season.

$1.8M pro-rated at roughly 25% of the season remaining = $450K against the cap
$2.0M pro-rated at roughly 25% of the season remaining = $500K against the cap
$5.33M pro-rated at roughly 25% of the season remaining = $1.3325M against the cap (Iginla)

Most teams will have enough space OR will be in a position to send an expiring contract our way if needed.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland

In the end we waived Mitchell for a reason. Tyutin is far superior as a trading chip, although still not worth much.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
As they should Cowen is crap. lol

This is back when Drouin took his ball and went home. His value was at it's lowest, I suggest the idea of 1st + one of Biras/Zads. A lot didn't like that.

No fam. They laughed because at the time they thought Cowen was worth more than ROR. That's why they laughed at me and said Avs add big. I should have been the one laughing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad