Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Related Topics 2016-17 Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
IMO Mitchell quit when that happened. Not exactly the right thing to do, but from a human perspective, I can't say I necessarily blame him.
Given the entire team basically quit in November, I don't really blame him either for starting early.
I don't personally think that Bourque, Marty, or Gelinas hold any value at this point. I'd be surprised if any of them got a return.

Given how Gelinas has been used, I doubt it either. Martinsen is a pipe dream for me thinking someone will be fooled by his size and occasional physicality.

Bourque is someone I can see a team trading for. Doesn't have the best track record but this season he has done a bit to improve his reputation around the league imo. His goal scoring at the start of the year was gravy if you ask me. It's the fact that he's arguably been one of the hardest workers on this team all season, something he'd never done on any team.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Rumors sure did quiet down recently. I can't wait to get past the all star break and get into trading season.

Teams are pulling in their scouts for meetings. It's tough to see something materializing in the next week, but after the All-Star game wraps up the talks will heat up again.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I disagree, especially about Mitchell. I think given his previous stats, its obvious that he's playing well beneath his abilities this season. He's an upcoming UFA, no team is obligated to keep him, and he's more likely than not going to play better for his new team than he has for the Avs.

If I'm a contending team in need of depth, Mitchell is an attractive 4th line center and probably worth gambling a 4th round pick on.

It's Beauchemin's salary of $4.5 million next year that really looks scary at this point.

I don't know how scary it is really. I think the Avs will make him available and even will offer to eat some salary on next year's deal, if it will get him off the team and can bring back a pick or prospect. If not, we'll likely buy him out.

Mitchell isn't likely going to get anything worthwhile at the deadline. As Ivan said, who needs that 4th liner in the playoffs? A team wanting Mitchell would want him for his depth scoring ability, which has disappeared under Bednar. Without that, Mitchell is useless.

I think he'll still be moved out. Every year we see players moved at the deadline that went through waivers earlier on. Sure, he looks terrible and like he quit but he'd be more an insurance policy for center depth rather than anything that would bolster a lineup. I think we'll get a 6th for him or something like that. You'd think teams that know him, like the Rangers could be in on that...the cost would be minimal.

As has already been said, Mitchell is useless. Not good defensively, has lost a step this year skating-wise which is very noticeable, isn't physical, and can't score even the odd goal anymore. Hell, he doesn't even have an assist and we're over half way into the season.

The guy was placed on waivers for a reason. Maybe to send a message but I'm of the belief that Sakic/Bednar see what we see: A player who is finished, and they simply wanted to rid themselves of him.

Nobody will be trading for John Mitchell at the deadline.

I disagree...I think he will get moved but we won't get much at all for him.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Leafs fans have a bad reputation, but Sens fans are 10 times worse.

I've realized Leaf fans generally aren't that bad. But Sens fans with their "take Ceci, he's great (and we'll keep everyone else you actually want" shtick is getting really annoying - and don't even get me started on Rangers fans.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Lol yeah...hard pass.

Never saw it with this player, still don't.

Wouldn't mind it if it means that Colborne gets stapled to the pressbox....

Other than that I kind of agree.

He is certainly no Matt Nieto...

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Rumors sure did quiet down recently. I can't wait to get past the all star break and get into trading season.
I think if you any of you thought anything would happen now is mistaken, especially a Landeskog/Duchene trade. Avs potentially have four to five players to ship out and do not have the roster space to recall all of their replacements from the Rampage until the latest day possible.

Of those players...
Jarome Iginla: Likely gone, Avs will probably have to retain some of his cap hit. Keith Jones mentioned last night on NBC that Avs probably will have to get a player back with similar contract including a pick. They mentioned a middle round pick, but if Avs are getting a player back with a horrible contract, the pick will be higher than middle round.

Rene Bourque: As Iginla, likely gone, but the draft pick might be lower than it was earlier on in the year.

Fedor Tyutin: Has a good chance of being wanted by a team, another middle round pick or a "C" level prospect perhaps if Avs are able to pull it off.

Francois Beauchemin: Any trade involving him will have the Avs either retain the final spot of cap retention or take back a similar contract. I am currently 50/50 on him because some GMs might drool over players with his experience and leadership. However, the newer and young GMs should be allergic to players that can't skate nor pass the puck with some accuracy. I wouldn't be surprised either way if he remains or dawns a new sweater after March 1st.

John Mitchell: Cannot see a team wanting him with his production, horrible contract, and floating ability.

I could see teams also be interested in Soderberg, Comeau, and Pickard, but I think all three will remain Avs. If Avs do move one of those, it probably will be Soderberg after he asks for a transfer request in the summer.
Leafs fans have a bad reputation, but Sens fans are 10 times worse.
Said this in the past as well, I noticed that for some reason Sens fans are some of the worst in terms of overvaluing their prospect system. I kept hearing how Puempel and Ceci were going to be amazing players. It's kind of ironic though, White is legitimately one of their best prospects who I think has top 6 potential, but I never hear about him.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Parity, but both are flawed teams. Dallas has no defense and abysmal goaltending. Tampa has this weird mix of forwards with Stamkos out. Kucherov is great, but the rest are a bunch of good, but not quite great players and they don't have much strength down the middle (not a big fan of running Tyler Johnson as a #1C). Then Yzerman played with fire on the goalies and got burned. Bishop knows he is out, but he is still kind of the main starter. Vasilevsky hasn't been great, but he is in a weird spot where he is the starter, but not. Neither goalie can really find their footing. IMO Yzerman needs to make a Bishop move soon and then shore up the center position.

If Tampa is out of the playoff picture by the deadline, the Avs might not be the only team with marquee players available for trade. I can't see how Tampa will be able to sign all three of Drouin, Palat, Johnson next season.

And Boyle/Bishop are going to be UFAs. Boyle in particular would bring a nice return as a trade deadline asset. A lot of playoff teams would like that guy on their roster.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I think if you any of you thought anything would happen now is mistaken, especially a Landeskog/Duchene trade. Avs potentially have four to five players to ship out and do not have the roster space to recall all of their replacements from the Rampage until the latest day possible.

Of those players...
Jarome Iginla: Likely gone, Avs will probably have to retain some of his cap hit. Keith Jones mentioned last night on NBC that Avs probably will have to get a player back with similar contract including a pick. They mentioned a middle round pick, but if Avs are getting a player back with a horrible contract, the pick will be higher than middle round.

Rene Bourque: As Iginla, likely gone, but the draft pick might be lower than it was earlier on in the year.

Fedor Tyutin: Has a good chance of being wanted by a team, another middle round pick or a "C" level prospect perhaps if Avs are able to pull it off.

Francois Beauchemin: Any trade involving him will have the Avs either retain the final spot of cap retention or take back a similar contract. I am currently 50/50 on him because some GMs might drool over players with his experience and leadership. However, the newer and young GMs should be allergic to players that can't skate nor pass the puck with some accuracy. I wouldn't be surprised either way if he remains or dawns a new sweater after March 1st.

John Mitchell: Cannot see a team wanting him with his production, horrible contract, and floating ability.

I could see teams also be interested in Soderberg, Comeau, and Pickard, but I think all three will remain Avs. If Avs do move one of those, it probably will be Soderberg after he asks for a transfer request in the summer.

Said this in the past as well, I noticed that for some reason Sens fans are some of the worst in terms of overvaluing their prospect system. I kept hearing how Puempel and Ceci were going to be amazing players. It's kind of ironic though, White is legitimately one of their best prospects who I think has top 6 potential, but I never hear about him.

I believe the Avs move the 4 UFAs, and get back a 3rd, a 4th, two AHL players. Given the performance of the 4 of them over the past month, I don't see any 2nds in store.

Unless something really good happens in February. :popcorn:

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
I believe the Avs move the 4 UFAs, and get back a 3rd, a 4th, two AHL players. Given the performance of the 4 of them over the past month, I don't see any 2nds in store.

I think Tyutin could possibly return a 2nd, simply because veteran defense is always in demand.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002

Yeah that sounds about right. I'd like for Sakic to go the conditional route though :

"If Iginla scored x goals, then pick becomes a 2nd round pick" or something to that effect.

Depending on who else is available, I wouldn't be completely shocked to see Tyutin garner a 2nd round pick because there just aren't likely to be a lot of d-men available at all.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
For people who are waiting for big trades, it's highly unlikely that a trade involving Duchene or Landeskog will happen. All the reports are, and even Sakic said it himself, if the return isn't great, they're not trading those two, and i don't think anyone is gonna overpay for Duchene and Landeskog.

At this point, the only moves that likely happen is getting rid of older players because Sakic said they wanna get younger. Hopefully someone will take Iginla, Beauchemin etc...

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Worse in what sense?

In that they're plastic fair-weather fans?

They suffer from a complex of less worth and in turn feel the need to glorify everything they have to no end. Last year Zibby was as good as Ducehene then gets traded for Brassard, now Ceci has untapped potential, Turris is just as good as Duchene etc.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
For people who are waiting for big trades, it's highly unlikely that a trade involving Duchene or Landeskog will happen. All the reports are, and even Sakic said it himself, if the return isn't great, they're not trading those two, and i don't think anyone is gonna overpay for Duchene and Landeskog.

At this point, the only moves that likely happen is getting rid of older players because Sakic said they wanna get younger. Hopefully someone will take Iginla, Beauchemin etc...

I think you are right that if either guy gets dealt it will be at the draft unless someone gives Joe the moon and the stars for those guys prior to the deadline.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
They suffer from a complex of less worth and in turn feel the need to glorify everything they have to no end. Last year Zibby was as good as Ducehene then gets traded for Brassard, now Ceci has untapped potential, Turris is just as good as Duchene etc.

I feel that this is an HF issue... we're as guilty of this as anyone. Just look at how many trashed the idea of acquiring Drouin for Bigras+1st.

IRL. Sens fans are few and a lot less hostile than Leaf fans. Not saying this is a good thing. It's just an observation I've seen.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

I know what you mean. They laughed at me when I suggested Jared Cowen be part of a package for ROR.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I feel that this is an HF issue... we're as guilty of this as anyone. Just look at how many trashed the idea of acquiring Drouin for Bigras+1st.

IRL. Sens fans are few and a lot less hostile than Leaf fans. Not saying this is a good thing. It's just an observation I've seen.

Sens, Montreal and Toronto are the worst.

Right now Toronto is the least offensive because they have bought into what management has told them that is patience and they have been humbled quite a bit thanks to years of suffering.

Right now I like Sens fans the least.

Oh and I wouldn't do Bigras + Patrick/Hischier/Liljegren for Drouin.

Might make me a homer but I never understood the huge Drouin hype or why we absolutely have to pair him with Mac.

Avs need defense. Not another highly skilled offensive player that would be completely stifled on the Avs thanks to a horrid blueline...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad