Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 2017-18 Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
If that's actually true then we might as well just accept the fact that Duchene is never getting traded.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I think Three Stooges would run this organization better than Kroenke and Sakic

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
Sakic has to be realistic. His ask being top 4 + is not new news though. At some point though he needs to make a move. He's just pissing off Duchene and fans

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I'm curious to know if there is anyone at all asking Sakic what exactly his plan is. He's asking for this unrealistic returns for Duchene now, is he thinking someone is gonna bite the hook and give it to him within 2 years before Duchene's contract expires, or is he planning to eventually take less? Or is he so stubborn and stupid, that he's actually willing to let Duchene walk as a UFA if he doesn't get what he's asking for?

What exactly is he planning here, because Duchene's value isn't gonna go up no matter how much it goes up to get a top 4 d-man and a plus, specially top 4 of a team like Nashville

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Sakic has to be realistic. His ask being top 4 + is not new news though. At some point though he needs to make a move. He's just pissing off Duchene and fans

Sakic never has done anything unless he really had to. And even then he sometimes did not.

That is why I keep repeating that this will get resolved at the 2018 draft at the earliest.
Maybe it will even drag on until the 2019 deadline.
That is when he might settle for something else than the homerun deal he is seeking.

Then he will have an excuse when Duchene refuses to even discuss an extension..

I don't expect anything to happen a minute earlier unless some team gets desperate and offers him that homerun deal.

So yeah..

Things going as expected in Avs land...

But I can't blame him too much on this one because I myself don't think trading for Ekholm would be a strategically wise decision unless a 1st comes along with him anyways...

Trading for a guy that is older than Duchene does not exactly help with our promised youth movement.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
It would be very Avs to announce a nice PR thing the day before camp, hold a presser with the GM, and then just say no comment when people ask about the two pressing issues.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
If that's actually true then we might as well just accept the fact that Duchene is never getting traded.

I already accepted this a few month ago. Just looking at the Sakic's face I could tell that he is not going to lower the value. The best case scenario is for Duchene to show up, man up and play his best hockey so that we can trade him for Hanifin or Ekholm and a 1st rounder or something similar next year.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I already accepted this a few month ago. Just looking at the Sakic's face I could tell that he is not going to lower the value. The best case scenario is for Duchene to show up, man up and play his best hockey so that we can trade him for Hanifin or Ekholm and a 1st rounder or something similar next year.

That would be the correct strategy..

If Duchene had more than 2 years on his deal left...

Unfortunately he hasn't...

So the only way to improve his value if he explodes offensively and puts up atleast 60+...

Which is a bit unlikely given this team and all the bad blood spilled already...

Sakic will have to settle for a lesser return than what he gets offered right now 10-16 months from now...

That is what I will predict the ending of this madness to be...

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Sakic never has done anything unless he really had to. And even then he sometimes did not.

That is why I keep repeating that this will get resolved at the 2018 draft at the earliest.
Maybe it will even drag on until the 2019 deadline.
That is when he might settle for something else than the homerun deal he is seeking.

Then he will have an excuse when Duchene refuses to even discuss an extension..

I don't expect anything to happen a minute earlier unless some team gets desperate and offers him that homerun deal.

So yeah..

Things going as expected in Avs land...

But I can't blame him too much on this one because I myself don't think trading for Ekholm would be a strategically wise decision unless a 1st comes along with him anyways...

Trading for a guy that is older than Duchene does not exactly help with our promised youth movement

Really?

So trading for a left handed top 4 d-man which this organization desperately needs wouldn't be wise decision?

Nashville wouldn't even do a Ekholm for Duchene Straight up let a lone include a 1st, and Ekholm is only one year older than Duchene

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Really?

So trading for a left handed top 4 d-man which this organization desperately needs wouldn't be wise decision?

Nashville wouldn't even do a Ekholm for Duchene Straight up let a lone include a 1st, and Ekholm is only one year older than Duchene

Aren't you the one that keeps screaming for a proper rebuild as well all the time?

Ekholm for Duchene might be good value. IMO it would be a horrible strategic decision for the longterm future of this franchise.
Similar to the Varlamov trade back then...

Especially when our best D in that age range has gone from a lock to be here for the longterm to highly questionable thanks to recent events...

Avs don't need a 27 year old D in his prime (which would be completely wasted on this team along with the value of his great contract) when we are trying to reset our franchise and build around the guys that are 22 and younger whilst gearing up for another high lottery pick...

Ekholm could cost us valuable lottery spots but is ultimately not even close to good enough to turn this organisation into a longterm winner.

So yeah. I don't really see the benefit of a deal like that straight up unless we really want to get back to that playoff bubble our organisation has been in love with way too long...

Also I am not as high on Ekholm as others..

But this discussion is pointless anyways. Ekholm or No Ekholm...
Sakic will not get the offers he wants and that won't change anytime soon..

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Yes Avs do need to get younger and go through a rebuild again, but if it's between Ekholm or making another ROR type of trade for Duchene, getting a rental return which will be peanuts, or just losing Duchene to free agency, I'd take Ekholm and run

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Yes Avs do need to get younger and go through a rebuild again, but if it's between Ekholm or making another ROR type of trade for Duchene, getting a rental return which will be peanuts, or just losing Duchene to free agency, I'd take Ekholm and run

Meh.

For me it is easily another ROR type of trade and I am the one that keeps saying that we lost that deal...

But IMO we will lose any type of Duchene deal anyways as well thanks to Sakics behavior over the last 12-15 months.

Making another ROR deal would be the best thing right now.

IMO Ekholm might look better in the immediate future but be one of these deals I will point back to in 3-5 years during the MacKinnon or Rantanen drama when searching for what went wrong with this iteration of the rebuild....

But lets get back to the pressing issues:

Anyone knows exactly when camp will start tomorrow?

Or when we can expect to know whether Duchene reports or not?

Avs44

May 16, 2011

Just reading that article makes me feel pretty hopeless. It's not the ask of one of Nashville's top four+ that bothers me so much - as silly as that "+" is - it's the info from Friedman in this order:

"I really get the sense that Colorado is making this deal on their own time and they are going to wait until they get what they want. I've heard the ask has been very big."

"I wrote that I think one of the guys they really like and the kind of player they really want is a guy like Noah Hanifin for Carolina. So unless it changes for Colorado, and I don't get the sense it will, they're holding out until they get that kind of an asset.:

"But the only thing I can really tell you is Colorado is going to make this deal at their pace and they're not going to do it until they get what they want."

So...Sakic wants a ton, and Sakic will hold out until he gets that 'ton' and Friedman doesn't think that attitude will change. In other words, as much as we think Sakic needs to make a move...he isn't budging until he gets his Noah Hanifin type return. But Duchene's value is really only going to go down from here, which means that Hanifin type return won't be offered, which means Sakic will continue to sit tight and wait for his phone to ring...we're hooped.

Maybe I should start hoping Duchene doesn't show up tomorrow and tells Sakic and his idiocy to **** off, because otherwise this will be another year, minimum, of this circus.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If the Avs needed tear it down after Ekholm got here, they could sell him for a mint.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Brisson is a smart guy and a very good agent. If Duchene really does want out (and to me it's pretty clear he does) Brisson will have him sit at home and he will talk to GM's to facilitate a trade Sakic seems too inept to do.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
LOL, I just love that one hearsay comment to a reporter is taken as gospel. No one knows WTF he asked for, or didn't ask for, or to whom. It's all rumor and innuendo.

twostroke27

Oct 12, 2011
If the Avs needed tear it down after Ekholm got here, they could sell him for a mint.

This is my immediate thought. I'd love Ekholm. He makes the team better now and if they want, they could trade him for a massive massive return.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Brisson is a smart guy and a very good agent. If Duchene really does want out (and to me it's pretty clear he does) Brisson will have him sit at home and he will talk to GM's to facilitate a trade Sakic seems too inept to do.

Problem there is that Sakic won't accept any of those trades. This is all in the hands of a man who is terrified of looking bad re:trade return. He's not going to accept anything reasonable IMO, and we'll end up with a really, really ugly situation.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Problem there is that Sakic won't accept any of those trades. This is all in the hands of a man who is terrified of looking bad re:trade return. He's not going to accept anything reasonable IMO, and we'll end up with a really, really ugly situation.

He's going to have to at some point. Having Duchene sit out training camp is one thing but if it goes into the season the media puppets will be spouting off all the trades sakic has turned down and he's going to look like even more of a fool.

Avsblitzkrieg

May 1, 2016
Westminster
We have alot of good pieces. With ekholm I think we could be a fringe playoff team. We need veteran leadership and hopefully he could provide it. It's not like the guys 35 or even 30.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

Not so sure about that.

Don't think any GM will be able to justify trading away good D on this team to the casual fanbase anytime soon....

Also an Ekholm could be the difference between having a legit chance at Dahlin and finishing with the 10th overall pick once again (if Varly also rebounds)...

It also would give than an excuse to pass on the McIsaac, Smith or Hughes for another forward like the Avs always love to do and I'd hate to see that happen.
There will be great forwards available in our range if we don't get Dahlin but IMO we really need another top end D prospect if we want to have a chance in the longrun and this is the draft to get it.
Svechnikov might be the only one worth diverting from that strategy right now but he will go #2 (if not #1) and what are the odds of us exactly finishing in that spot?

I'd really prefer to stick with the youth movement for once. Especially given that our GM is incapable of getting extra picks for our youth movement in any other way than trading our top young players anways unfortunately...

Ekholm is worth way more than the 16th pick in the 2018 draft. Yet given the state of our franchise I would take the pick if I had to choose and wouldn't be allowed to flip Ekholm afterwards...

I realize that I am very much in the minority when it comes to that but frankly I don't care ;).

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

You guys need to look at it from Sakic's perspective. He was offered Hamonic (who's a top 4 RHD) and a 1st and turned it down. Unfortunately Hamonic wasn't the guy he wanted but starting from there, you can understand why he'd ask for Ekholm (top 4 LHD) and a + :nod:

That doesn't make it right but you can see the line of thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad