Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 2017-18 Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
We need social media detectives to find out the whereabouts of Duchene or zadorov. Probably only a few yyz to Denver flights left to get him there for 9am.

I checked about two hours ago and there were 3 flights left today lol.
No social media postings from Z's wife since yesterday from Ottawa.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Thats what I'm thinking. I'm just not sure a deal like that gets done though. And if Sakic takes his head out of his ass and actually takes a futures package I think NY and CBJ are in the mix. NY seems desperate to win this year. And CBJ has a great roster and might what to make a serious run before key ELC's run out.

And Sakic said......actually, I wasn't thinking about the "already under contract" part.

Duchene/Brisson has hinted at the idea of not showing up. That's something a GM should be talking to them about.

Just curious, at this point with what Brisson/Duchene have hinted at, what would Sakic say to them privately that he hasn't said publicly?

Publicly he's "played it safe" by saying "He's under contract, I expect him to be here". I'm just curious what you think would be different in a private conversation?

He's not going to beg for him to come to camp, he's not going to guarantee a trade, etc.

As far as I am aware, there already has been a conversation, a while back, that the Avs are working to move him. Now, criticize how hard they've "worked" in trying to move him all you want--it's absolutely warranted. But I fail to see how Sakic not calling Duchene or any other player under contract and letting them know they're expected to report to camp is anything headshake worthy :dunno:

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
I checked about two hours ago and there were 3 flights left today lol.
No social media postings from Z's wife since yesterday from Ottawa.

I'm sure he could get something out of buffalo if need be haha.

If he does show up my goodness is he going to have a bad time with the media interviews.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Just curious, at this point with what Brisson/Duchene have hinted at, what would Sakic say to them privately that he hasn't said publicly?

Publicly he's "played it safe" by saying "He's under contract, I expect him to be here". I'm just curious what you think would be different in a private conversation?

He's not going to beg for him to come to camp, he's not going to guarantee a trade, etc.

As far as I am aware, there already has been a conversation, a while back, that the Avs are working to move him. Now, criticize how hard they've "worked" in trying to move him all you want--it's absolutely warranted. But I fail to see how Sakic not calling Duchene or any other player under contract and letting them know they're expected to report to camp is anything headshake worthy :dunno:

Well if he really told him that they are working to move him, the days right before training camp when Duchene is not showing up to these voluntary events might have been a great time to give him a call and explain to him why a deal has not happened yet and probably won't happen anytime soon and to discuss what is next for him and the Avs and what the organisation plans to do with this mess.

For example promising to trade him at the deadline if he puts his head down without any further drama and performs to a certain level that allows Sakic to get closer to the return that he wants...

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
What chambers tweeted doesn't match the video. Who knows.

Ekholm is under contract for 5 years, that mitigates the age factor for me. If you get a 22 year old you still have to deal with unproven. There's no 100% perfect solution that's out there, even discussing Ekholm is verging on unrealistic as it is. I'm looking long term too but you aren't going to get someone with more team control than that, even 22 year old prospects. Sure it would be nice to have a top D possibly for 15 years as opposed to 10 but when talking that long range there are way too many factors that will for into play. It's damn good enough.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
By actually talking you can get a better idea of how serious the threats are. And he just simply needs to let Duchene know he better be here, and let Duchene know what will happen if he isn't. If I had a 6 million dollar employee you bet I'm calling him up and asking, "what's with this stuff about not showing up to work?"

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Well if he really told him that they are working to move him, the days right before training camp when Duchene is not showing up to these voluntary events might have been a great time to give him a call and explain to him why a deal has not happened yet and probably won't happen anytime soon and to discuss what is next and what the organisation plans to do with this mess.

For example promising to trade him at the deadline if he puts his head down and performs to a certain level that allows Sakic to get closer to the return that he wants...

Why? Those are VOLUNTARY events, like you said.

Sure, him not showing is definitely sending a message to the organization, but he isn't under any requirement to be there.

There's so many things for fans to raise their ire at Joe for, that I feel it's patently stupid to make mountains out of molehills.

We can rail about him not having moved him yet, that's warranted. We can rail about him bringing back Bednar after a historically bad season where that locker room tuned him (Bednar) out pretty damn quickly. There's a lot out there, not everything Joe does/doesn't do falls into the "Joe is incompetent!" category.

And before anything is misconstrued--Joe Sakic is my all-time favorite Avalanche player, from every account I've heard he is a genuinely nice guy and does a lot of good for his community, but the guy is a TERRIBLE GM. I eagerly await the opportunity for someone else to get in that spot and (hopefully) do something different.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
By actually talking you can get a better idea of how serious the threats are. And he just simply needs to let Duchene know he better be here, and let Duchene know what will happen if he isn't. If I had a 6 million dollar employee you bet I'm calling him up and asking, "what's with this stuff about not showing up to work?"

Except everyone knows what happens if Duchene doesn't report...so again, it's a completely pointless phone call.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
That's why there's agents so that parties in a dispute have a middle man to communicate through. If Duchene shows up there probably needs to be a convo so that they can move forward as best as possible in the short term.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
We're not getting Ekholm for Duchene. We never were going to get Ekholm for Duchene. Duchene showed the hockey world last season that he's a skilled center who caves when things get tough, and Ekholm showed the hockey world last season that he's a steady, skilled defenseman who can help carry a team to the championship round. These two guys are not on the same plane at the moment.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
MD was pretty much the face of the AVs for 8 years. You should treat a guy like him different than a 4th liner like Colburn. He gave his heart and soul for this organization for 7,5years before he quitted somewhere in December last year. Yeah, he deserves that Sakic calls him and talks to him Man2Man to explain the situation - contract or not. It's the right thing to do and Sakic not beeing man enough to admit that he is at least as much as responsible for this mess as Duchene is just disapointing.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Why? Those are VOLUNTARY events, like you said.

Sure, him not showing is definitely sending a message to the organization, but he isn't under any requirement to be there.

There's so many things for fans to raise their ire at Joe for, that I feel it's patently stupid to make mountains out of molehills.

We can rail about him not having moved him yet, that's warranted. We can rail about him bringing back Bednar after a historically bad season where that locker room tuned him (Bednar) out pretty damn quickly. There's a lot out there, not everything Joe does/doesn't do falls into the "Joe is incompetent!" category.

And before anything is misconstrued--Joe Sakic is my all-time favorite Avalanche player, from every account I've heard he is a genuinely nice guy and does a lot of good for his community, but the guy is a TERRIBLE GM. I eagerly await the opportunity for someone else to get in that spot and (hopefully) do something different.

I have been very vocal that I don't like how the Avs treat their players and do their business for a longtime now..

One of my main issues is exactly that. They don't communicate with their players and never try to find an amicable solution to anything. It is always take it or leave it and don't bother calling us unless you are willing to do exactly what we want...
That is not how you run a succesful business. I mean screw asset management or a proper philosophy for a moment. This needs to be fixed first and foremost. This is no longer the glory days Avs from 15-20 years ago where you might have been able to get away with this kind of behaviour.

One of the main reasons for why this whole Duchene situation has gone off the rails so much is that Sakic did not communicate this properly.

Had he shutdown all these media reports early on this madness would not have happened. Odds are also high that Duchene wouldn't have taken this as badly as he did if Sakic would have sat down regularly with him and explained the situation.

But from everything I have seen from him and this organisation, this is not the way we do business..

And that infuriates me..

Prime example is this. If you tell Duchene that he will get traded this offseason and you don't deliver, you might want to give him a call and try to smoothen the situation over or atleast talk to him and his agent about it once you get word that they are thinking about holding out. Because that is not exactly helpful if you are in talks with other teams...

@TV:

Lets just agree to disagree.
Its only the Avs that have trouble keeping their young players around mostly. Other teams do a way better job with that and IMO at this stage of our rebuild Ekholm is simply too old (and not talented enough) to be the solution to our defense longterm and not close to good enough to just abandon the rebuild and quick fix this thing...

Last edited:

twostroke27

Oct 12, 2011
What chambers tweeted doesn't match the video. Who knows.

Ekholm is under contract for 5 years, that mitigates the age factor for me. If you get a 22 year old you still have to deal with unproven. There's no 100% perfect solution that's out there, even discussing Ekholm is verging on unrealistic as it is. I'm looking long term too but you aren't going to get someone with more team control than that, even 22 year old prospects. Sure it would be nice to have a top D possibly for 15 years as opposed to 10 but when talking that long range there are way too many factors that will for into play. It's damn good enough.

This is where I'm at too. I can't fathom why posters wouldn't want this. Confuses me.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I have been very vocal that I don't like how the Avs treat their players and do their business for a longtime now..

One of my main issues is exactly that. They don't communicate with their players and never try to find an amicable solution to anything. It is always take it or leave it and don't bother calling us unless you are willing to do exactly what we want...
That is not how you run a succesful business. I mean screw asset management or a proper philosophy for a moment. This needs to be fixed first and foremost. This is no longer the glory days Avs from 15-20 years ago where you might have been able to get away with this kind of behaviour.

One of the main reasons for why this whole Duchene situation has gone off the rails so much is that Sakic did not communicate this properly.

Had he shutdown all these media reports early on this madness would not have happened. Odds are also high that Duchene wouldn't have taken this as badly as he did if Sakic would have sat down regularly with him and explained the situation.

But from everything I have seen from him and this organisation, this is not the way we do business..

And that infuriates me..

Prime example is this. If you tell Duchene that he will get traded this offseason and you don't deliver, you might want to give him a call and try to smoothen the situation over or atleast talk to him and his agent about it once you get word that they are thinking about holding out. Because that is not exactly helpful if you are in talks with other teams...

@TV:

Lets just agree to disagree.
Its only the Avs that have trouble keeping their young players around mostly. Other teams do a way better job with that and IMO at this stage of our rebuild Ekholm is simply too old (and not talented enough) to be the solution to our defense longterm and not close to good enough to just abandon the rebuild and quick fix this thing...

So not only is cost controlled for 5 years, 27 year old Matthias Ekholm too old for you to trade Duchene for, he's not skilled enough either? You can't make this **** up.

He's the GD best shot suppressing D in the league and has just 4 years of North American mileage on his body while being durable as hell. This isn't Seabrook we're talking about.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Ever heard the phrase communication is key in any relationship?

And how do you know that there hasn't been any communication?

Again, Sakic said, rather specifically, that he hasn't spoken to Duchene or any other contracted player about reporting to Camp on Thursday. Sakic never said he hasn't talked to Duchene since all this has happened (and I have reason to believe that he's definitely talked to at least Brisson on more than one occasion since the season ended--hell, he obviously talked to him at the Draft).

There's plenty to be upset at Sakic for with his handling of all of the "Duchene stuff", but I fail to see how him saying he hasn't talked to any specific player about their intentions of reporting to training camp (as their contract stipulates they do) is some egregious offense. Sakic has said all he needs to say ("He's under contract, I expect him here...") and Duchene/Brisson know what the consequence(s) will be if he doesn't show. So again...totally pointless phone call for Sakic to make.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
So not only is cost controlled for 5 years, 27 year old Matthias Ekholm too old for you to trade Duchene for, he's not skilled enough either? You can't make this **** up.

He's the GD best shot suppressing D in the league and has just 4 years of North American mileage on his body while being durable as hell. This isn't Seabrook we're talking about.

Why can't I just not like the guy as much as you do?

Again this is not Doughty who would be worth it to basically abandon the youth movement. He had a very impressive season on a very good team last season. Good for him.

Still think guys like you are crazily overrating him right now and don't think he is what this franchise needs right now when it comes to wanting this franchise to be successful in the longrun.

Not to say that he isn't a very good and valuable player.

He is. Without a doubt. Just don't think he would be the solution to the Avs problems in the longrun and would only prevent us from potentially finding it.

Why am I not allowed to believe that?

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
MD was pretty much the face of the AVs for 8 years. You should treat a guy like him different than a 4th liner like Colburn. He gave his heart and soul for this organization for 7,5years before he quitted somewhere in December last year. Yeah, he deserves that Sakic calls him and talks to him Man2Man to explain the situation - contract or not. It's the right thing to do and Sakic not beeing man enough to admit that he is at least as much as responsible for this mess as Duchene is just disapointing.

Perhaps that's happened already..who knows. Maybe there is more to this story?

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Joem said it perfectly.

And I never said there hasn't been any communication. I just think this is something there should be communication about. Sorry you disagree.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Perhaps that's happened already..who knows. Maybe there is more to this story?

If that happend Duchene would not even think about not "showing up". For me the main reason for him not beeing here is not that he's not been traded yet but that he's been treaded like a second class citizen and he thinks he deserves better. And I think that too ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad