Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 2017-18 Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Too many people on this forum sound like debbie downers. I too wish we can finish in bottom 5 to get the top 1 round pick but I just think that this team will be a playoff bubble team. With Varly healthy again, getting rid of 9 players on our roster and inserting Compher, Jost, Birgras, Mironov and a few others, it might not be as bad as many people here suggest.

No way in hell should we expect to sniff the playoffs.

This team is riddled with question marks and we lack depth. It would take a crazy alignment of stars and Varly standing on his head for us to make the playoffs.

For the record I don't have much faith in Varly anymore, I think he's going to be fine but I don't think we should expect Vezina Varly again. That was just a career year.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
It won't be a basement team again, but with Bednar around it won't be close to playoffs, either. I'm predicting we finish third or fourth from the bottom. Vegas for sure will be worse, and probably another team or two like Vancouver or Detroit will have the bottom fall out and lap us in the Dahlin race. I wouldn't be too surprised to see late tankers, too. Last year's lottery results aside, having a generational D in the draft as opposed to 2017's averageness will probably incentivize a couple of orgs to try racing to the bottom again like in 2015.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Too many people on this forum sound like debbie downers. I too wish we can finish in bottom 5 to get the top 1 round pick but I just think that this team will be a playoff bubble team. With Varly healthy again, getting rid of 9 players on our roster and inserting Compher, Jost, Birgras, Mironov and a few others, it might not be as bad as many people here suggest.

There's no way. Who's playing defense, seriously? Johnson, Barrie, and Zadorov are serviceable top4, but who's the 4th dman? Barberio? He's better suited for 3rd line LHD. And what about the other 2 starting spots? Mironov? Bigras? Lindholm? Siemens?... none of those guys have played more than 38 NHL games in their career, let alone a season. One injury to that top 3, or heck, even if one of them takes a penalty, we're toast. So Varly is going to have to stand on his head, 8-9 months after hip surgery. It's not going to happen.

Like a bottle of Jones soda once told me, lower expectations to avoid disappointment. Anything better than bottom 5 overall would be a huge surprise.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I just fail to see how you can say that he is irreplaceable.

Did you not watch last season when he had to take all of the hardest minutes? Would really rather just throw our kids in the deep end and have them try to shut down the Crosby's and McDavid's of the world right off the bat? You wouldn't prefer to have someone that can shelter them by continuing to do the defensive heavy lifting?

The reasons to keep Landeskog are the same reasons to keep EJ.

What you are describing is actually worse than if we suck for another year and draft the #1 LHD we need to complete our defense of the future.

Not everyone. Rantanen, Jost, Mack and Makar are untouchables for me as of now. If a hockey trade does come along in the lines of Zboril or Charlie McAvoy, then I agree with you.

For a great return anyone should be considered. I'd happily trade Mikko for Laine, Jost for Keller, MacK for McDavid and Makar for Provorov. But those are even less realistic than a Landeskog trade making this a better environment for our kids to develop in.

PS Zboril is a poor man's Zadorov

And yet people were up in arms about a package built around Zboril for Landeskog around the deadline.

As they should've been.

Last edited:

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
So you wouldn't even entertain the thought of moving the guy who just posted a 33pts season who has big time health concerns.

I know people in here love to put huge blinders on when it comes to anything Landeskog related, but the fact is he looked terrible last season, he has some kind of hip problem that probably will continue to get worse, not better. The guy is a ticking time bomb, I don't see him having a long career,

Is there really anything to this? I know it gets repeated a lot in here, but is there any factual public information that backs it up?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Is there really anything to this? I know it gets repeated a lot in here, but is there any factual public information that backs it up?

Obviously no factual information that proves it to be 100% accurate. But the fact that most hive his stats have trended down year after year after year would leave one to believe he's in somewhat of a decline.

I don't want to move Landeskog. He's important to this team. But I don't expect him to be as valuable as he is right now for a whole lot longer. I also don't think he will be as valuable as he was 3 years ago ever again. No proof to back it, but it's a guess of mine.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
The team has declined every year over the last 4 years. I'm not making a judgement on any one player and the state of their career until the offense and team is any semblance of competent again.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
So, anyone have the list of waiver-likely players we'll be looking to pick up before the season starts? I feel like we're going to pick at least 2 of them up to start the season.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
So, anyone have the list of waiver-likely players we'll be looking to pick up before the season starts? I feel like we're going to pick at least 2 of them up to start the season.

There's always surprises but based on teams projected lineups there probably isn't much worthwhile. There was a main board thread where fans posted players at risk and some of the most enticing names were Harrington, Reinhart, Oleksiak and Davidson. There's absolutely no reason to invite one of those guys to our team midway through training camp when guys like Siemens, Bigras, Lindholm and Mironov are already there.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Oleksiak would be an interesting addition. Nothing too special about him thus far, but defenders of his size don't always put things together right away. Then again, we don't have much in the way of development for defenders so it's questionable if we could do that.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
The team has declined every year over the last 4 years. I'm not making a judgement on any one player and the state of their career until the offense and team is any semblance of competent again.

While it's been a frustrating ride since Duchene was drafted. I think the biggest factor has been their unrelenting refusal to draft defense high.

People talk about the bright future that the team had when Roy first took over, but I don't remember seeing a bright future either on the roster or in the system when it comes to defense. The team was never going to do a damn thing until they realized that. At least now they seem to realize it. I personally have more hope for the future of this team now than I had right after Roy's miracle first year as a coach.

I guess the second would be the fact that I don't remember a time as a Avs fan where I have felt the team had a coach who was even remotely close to being top 15 in the NHL lol.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I hope to hell they don't go anywhere near the waiver wire. I don't care if they do a PTO or two just to see what's out there, but it's time to see what they have in guys like Duncan Siemens. They've tried so many failed stopgap measures to no avail, enough is enough.

And when it comes to forwards, they should be the ones doing the waiving, not the claim.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I hope to hell they don't go anywhere near the waiver wire. I don't care if they do a PTO or two just to see what's out there, but it's time to see what they have in guys like Duncan Siemens. They've tried so many failed stopgap measures to no avail, enough is enough.

And when it comes to forwards, they should be the ones doing the waiving, not the claim.

Yeah it's not a realistic way to build a hockey team. It's fine to fish the waiver wires throughout the year, but there's a reason why every player waived during training camps passes through and never gets claimed.

While you have dedicated members of the Colorado Avalanche organization fighting for the last spot or two on the roster while most cuts have already happened you aren't going to add one of the cuts from another team to add competition for the 6th/7th D position or similar forward role. That sets a horrible example for the guys you already set down and will **** off the guys who think they're close but get a curveball thrown at them last minute.

The Avs already look like a pathetic organization from the outside but I cant imagine the rep they'd get if they started pulling stunts like that. Unless somebody is waived who you are 100%, absolutely, no brainer positive will fill some type of roster role on the Avalanche much better than the remaining internal options you aren't going to claim somebody in the middle of training camp.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Heyyy look who's on waivers today just like I expected a month ago here...Marchenko. Obviously I don't mean go and get him specifically, he's probably KHL bound but the point stands, don't waste draft picks, players like this are gonna pop up and it's not even September yet. This is the sort of dman to go and pick up instead of wasting the spot on a Tyutin and I'm sure more will start to show up. If even one of them is a potential upgrade on Lindholm then do it.

If we're doing the whole Russian thing, I wouldn't mind Soshnikov or Marchenko from the Leafs if we can get them for cheap (aka a Blake Comeau or picking one of them up from waivers if we haven't used that on someone else as it looks like both are gonna be two of the odd-men out in Toronto).

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Heyyy look who's on waivers today just like I expected a month ago here...Marchenko. Obviously I don't mean go and get him specifically, he's probably KHL bound

Well yeah, this isn't same thing. As Marchenko couldn't be an NHL regular he's now getting his contract bought out so he can go back to Moscow and cash in.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Yeah it's not a realistic way to build a hockey team. It's fine to fish the waiver wires throughout the year, but there's a reason why every player waived during training camps passes through and never gets claimed.

While you have dedicated members of the Colorado Avalanche organization fighting for the last spot or two on the roster while most cuts have already happened you aren't going to add one of the cuts from another team to add competition for the 6th/7th D position or similar forward role. That sets a horrible example for the guys you already set down and will **** off the guys who think they're close but get a curveball thrown at them last minute.

The Avs already look like a pathetic organization from the outside but I cant imagine the rep they'd get if they started pulling stunts like that. Unless somebody is waived who you are 100%, absolutely, no brainer positive will fill some type of roster role on the Avalanche much better than the remaining internal options you aren't going to claim somebody in the middle of training camp.

This is why I mentioned Vegas, as too much is being made of the sheer number of NHL defenders they have who are not waiver exempt. I don't see the quality, or the big deal with any of them that will likely get waived, but others seem too.

I joke, but I could seriously see Sakic and our pro scouting staff thinking they will be first line for a gift from Vegas.

Aw yeah. Griffin Reinhart and that Norris upside. :sarcasm:

I'd probably give Laughton a shot. Although I don't know where his game is right now. Is he like really awful?

I don't know that much about any of them really. I keep seeing articles about how they have too many NHL defenders though.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I don't know that much about any of them really. I keep seeing articles about how they have too many NHL defenders though.

Laughton being the Philly center. We might want a center. But as far as the Vegas D's, I don't think there's much there. They have eleven D, but the ones who don't make the cut are going to be big time crap. GMGM definitely read the depth defenseman market wrong, or whatever he was doing but I don't know why he drafted all the ****** defensemen.

For reference, here's the 11: Garrison, Sbisa, Stoner, Schmidt, McNabb, Merrill, C. Miller, Engelland, Theodore (waivers exempt), Reinhart, Hunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad