Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 2017-18 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Seems like he keeps moving his "deadline" (first for the Avs and now himself) to try and get more money from whomever is willing to pay it. If he wanted to play for the Avs that badly, as he claims, then he would have signed for the reported $2M a year and we'd be done with it. Sounds like a guy looking out for the biggest $$$ to me.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Seems like he keeps moving his "deadline" (first for the Avs and now himself) to try and get more money from whomever is willing to pay it. If he wanted to play for the Avs that badly, as he claims, then he would have signed for the reported $2M a year and we'd be done with it. Sounds like a guy looking out for the biggest $$$ to me.

I mean what do you expect?

Why on earth would any sane player give the Avs a significant discount right now?

Because of how well they treat their players (Sakic hanging Duchene, Landy, etc. out too dry with these rumors for 12 months +) , the great team chemistry we have (yeah.. right..), or the ridiculous amount of recent success?

There is no reason whatsoever right now to give the Avs a significant discount.
None.

I won't blame anyone one bit for trying to get paid by the Avs.

I mean if you have to play on a dysfunctional 48 point team with plenty of capspace, you might as well get paid for it...

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
What makes Burns elite is his offense though, so saying he could be Burns without the offense isn't saying much.

I don't get the Burns comparison really. Burns had obvious offensive talent even in the early days, which is why he played forward. Would you think of using Zadorov as a forward? I wouldn't.

At this point we don't have a clue how Zadorov will turn out, throwing around random big names like Buff and Burns is just setting our expectations way too high for a 22 year old mystery box.

Burns also has an absolute laser of a shot. It's deadly from any range. Z doesn't really have that in his game. It's hard, but not accurate.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
This off season feels extra long because we were the worst team in the league by a WIDE margin, and absolutely nothing has been done to remedy the situation.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Are you saying this with any inside information?

I can't (and won't) speak for TMV, but the people I've talked w/ about Z also don't have any concerns, and truly believe he'll be re-signing "soon" (the "" are used because the question of "what is 'soon'?" is open to interpretation and can have different answers).

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA

At this rate our end return for ROR is going to be a greedy equipment manager who will leave the Avs unexpectedly at the start of the 2020 season for the same position with a regional team in Russia after the Avs refuse to give him a matching 401k contribution. The idea (note, not saying it is going to happen, still optimistic a deal gets done) that we will have dealt our star forward who we had a complete breakdown in negotiations with and who left for Russia unhappy for a centerpiece that we have a breakdown in negotiations with and who leaves for Russia unhappy - I mean, that's pretty comical in a dark humor sort of way.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
This off season feels extra long because we were the worst team in the league by a WIDE margin, and absolutely nothing has been done to remedy the situation.

I mean, our draft was kind of exciting and most the "experts" consider the Avs scouting department to have done a good job. It's not much but they probably get a passing grade there. And they didn't blow a wad on some overpriced, aging free agent.

Lots left to do though, I agree.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

That really isn't true. From the beginning of last season:

Gone:
Mitchell
Iginla
Bourque
Beauchemin
Tyutin
Wiercioch
Golubef
McLeod
Pickard
Martinsen

Army

Arrived:
Wilson
Compher
Jost
Mironov
Lindholm
Bernier
Andrighetto
Yakupov
Nieto
Barberio

Bennett

Add in a healthy Varlamov and that is a better lineup. It's not ideal or everything I would want done, and we won't win a cup, but it's not "worst team ever". Nor is it "no change whatsoever". Just because we didn't blow up the core doesn't mean nothing has been done.

Last edited:

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
That really isn't true. From the beginning of last season:

Gone:
Mitchell
Iginla
Bourque
Beauchemin
Tyutin
Wiercioch
Golubef
McLeod
Pickard
Martinsen

Army

Arrived:
Wilson
Compher
Jost
Mironov
Lindholm
Bernier
Andrighetto

Bennett

You forgot Nieto and Barberio. Would have been more useful to show the changes that happened after the end of the season though. Some of these "newer" guys participated to the 48 pts debacle.

The real new faces are Wilson, Bernier and Mironov and that's pathetic.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
End of July and August 2nd are the only two deadlines we've heard, and they're basically the same thing, so nothing has really moved.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Sure any player who doesn't just take the first team offer is in it for money.

I mean what do you expect?

Why on earth would any sane player give the Avs a significant discount right now?

Because of how well they treat their players (Sakic hanging Duchene, Landy, etc. out too dry with these rumors for 12 months +) , the great team chemistry we have (yeah.. right..), or the ridiculous amount of recent success?

There is no reason whatsoever right now to give the Avs a significant discount.
None.

I won't blame anyone one bit for trying to get paid by the Avs.

I mean if you have to play on a dysfunctional 48 point team with plenty of capspace, you might as well get paid for it...

Nobody here knows what or when the first offer was. Dater said the Avs offer the other day was $2M per year for 2 years. That's not exactly a "discount" for a guy that has played the majority of one full season in the minors, and then had roughly half a good season, and has yet to score a goal.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
You forgot Nieto and Barberio. Would have been more useful to show the changes that happened after the end of the season though. Some of these "newer" guys participated to the 48 pts debacle.

The real new faces are Wilson, Bernier and Mironov and that's pathetic.

Some of them also participated in the last couple of months when the team looked halfway decent, too. Blaming Compher, Jost and Andrighetto for the bad season seems a little unfair.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Technically, yes, some things have changed. But for two summers now we have heard how there needs to be changes to the core, especially this summer, but nothing has changed there.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Some of them also participated in the last couple of months when the team looked halfway decent, too. Blaming Compher, Jost and Andrighetto for the bad season seems a little unfair.

The team wasn't "halfway decent" at any time last season. I don't blame these 3 players but they were there at one point and the team still sucked. Adding Wilson, Mironov and Bernier to them won't change anything.

Dude said that basically nothing was done and he was right.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The team wasn't "halfway decent" at any time last season. I don't blame these 3 players but they were there at one point and the team still sucked. Adding Wilson, Mironov and Bernier to them won't change anything.

Dude said that basically nothing was done and he was right.

And I pointed out all of the players that are gone, as well as the coach we all hated, so no, he wasn't right. Just because we didn't blow up the core and fire everybody down to the goal announcer doesn't mean "nothing was done". And IMO staying out of this dismal free agent season sounds like a really good idea.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Game #82 2016/17 Avs:

Gone:
Mitchell
Bourque
Beauchemin
Tyutin
Wiercioch
Golubef
Pickard
Martinsen

Since then:

Wilson
Mironov
Bernier
Yakupov

Bennett

Not huge changes, at all. But..

a full season of Jost & Compher. Hopefully Sven wasn't a flash in the pan and can build off of how he ended last season, along with young guys like Greer and Bigras being potentially exciting call ups.

I'm not expecting much of next season, I just hope that with guys like Jost, Compher and Mironov, while at the same time shedding Beachemin, Mitchell etc, it will make season more enjoyable to watch.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I don't expect success next year. I'd have been a happy camper if we'd have traded Duchene already and managed to get rid of Colborne and Comeau. Not asking for anything more than that, even willing to give Soda another chance. But the Duchene situation alone means that this summer has been a huge failure so far. That was #1 priority ffs.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It's clear that they don't have an issue with how they operate so they are just going to keep doing what they are doing. Which seems to be this organic building strategy. Those who were sold on the "rebuild" idea or that a 48 point season leads to reevaluation are the ones who seeing the disconnect.

Call me paranoid but I'm not counting on getting out of this off-season without roster slugs until we are watching opening night. There's two long months to go.

Last edited:

madman

Deadmarsh Deli Dills
Jun 6, 2009
Steamboat Springs
It's clear that they don't have an issue with how they operate so they are just going to keep doing what they are doing.

Most insular organization in the league! Hooooray Avs! :handclap:

66179584.jpg

Avs44

May 16, 2011
The off-season has been a failure so far. They shuffled some deck chairs. I was fine with shuffling chairs last off-season, I defended it, because to me developing kids was crucial, and I figured the team would finish around 10th again and at least be teasing a potential playoff birth up until the last month or so of the year - clearly on the outside looking in, but not miles away.

After what just happened, however, shuffling some deck chairs was and is not acceptable. Swapping bottom six depth and B level defensmen around for younger, likely B level defensemen was necessary, but was secondary to the larger issues. So far, there are three massive failings that dwarf this off-season:

1) No serious staff changes. Yes, they let some assistant coaches walk, and we knew Bednar would be back despite how disappointing that is, but it was public knowledge they were pursuing other names to add to the FO, and they failed. In any other organization there would have been a house cleaning after what just happened...they didn't do that, fine - but after it publicly got out they were clearly trying to add someone notable, and then failing to do so...that's pretty bad IMO.

2) Haven't traded Duchene, haven't shaken up the core. The key players on this team last year will be the key players on the team this year - none have been moved, there's been no message sent, etc. And now Duchene is just hacked off and wants out, so that's a ticking time bomb.

3) They haven't improved the defense in a key way whatsoever. They needed to add a really high end top four defender (going on about year 10 of that now...), but right now this is our starting top four:

Zadorov (maybe :laugh:) - EJ
Barberio - Barrie

That's a bottom 5-7 top pairing in the league, and a bottom 5 defense overall, pretty much crippling the club right from the start.

So far I think the off-season deserves a D rating. Sakic, as usual, hasn't gotten the big and really important things done. It can still be salvaged if Sakic actually pulls off a decent Duchene trade.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
^ Great post!

I don't expect success next year. I'd have been a happy camper if we'd have traded Duchene already and managed to get rid of Colborne and Comeau. Not asking for anything more than that, even willing to give Soda another chance. But the Duchene situation alone means that this summer has been a huge failure so far. That was #1 priority ffs.

Seriously, why is Colborne still here? 1.25 for a potential 30+ guy should be an easy sell.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Zadorov (maybe :laugh:) - EJ
Barberio - Barrie

That's a bottom 5-7 top pairing in the league, and a bottom 5 defense overall, pretty much crippling the club right from the start.

That's a bottom 2 top 4, thanks to Vegas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad