Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 2017-18 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Canes fans have a lot to be happy and excited about. Great deals for their core D's.

Now, if they just traded Hanifin for Duchene..

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If I was the Canes, I wouldn't be trading Hanifin. As good as the others are, I think Hanifin will be better. If they show a little bit more patience, they might not have to give up any of their top 4 and they might be able to develop their #1C. I think Necas has a real shot there.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
If I was the Canes, I wouldn't be trading Hanifin. As good as the others are, I think Hanifin will be better. If they show a little bit more patience, they might not have to give up any of their top 4 and they might be able to develop their #1C. I think Necas has a real shot there.

Fleury and Bean coming through the pipes. Sometimes it makes more sense to go for the short and long term game than just long term. Nashville managed to get into the postseason and gain some experience by swapping Jones for Johansen. Then they started assembling a competitive team and letting their defense mature, swapped a key piece in Weber, etc.

Carolina could make that big move of trading Hanifin before they know what they have (I agree, he's going to be good) and acquiring a big piece that gets them over the playoff hump for experience and offensive success.

Personally if I were running that team it wouldn't be an easy decision, but I'd probably make it.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Id take my chances and see if i can either draft a C or trade/sign a 2nd tier before i even entertain the idea of trading Hanifin. There's really not much out there that can be swapped for him

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

Yeah I really disagree with that.

I love Hanifin but the Canes want to win now ( and I really believe they need one more top tier offensive piece to ever have a real chance to do anything in the playoffs) much of his value right now is more the potential of what he could turn into instead of what he actually is right now.

With Slavin and Pesce locked in for an eternity and Faulk being the one piece on D they can't internally replace (RHD offensive D), Hanifin is probably the one you should trade.

He probably won't come as cheap as these other two if he has a good season next year and he probably is the only expendable piece that can land you that top tier center they need.

That said. I probably wouldn't trade him for Duchene.
Probably better off waiting for what shakes lose in the near future (Tavares? Reinhart? Nylander? X?)

But he IMO is exactly the trade chip you use upgrade your forward core unless you believe he will turn into a bonafide Norris contender in the future that will surpass Slavin. And as much as I love Noah, I somewhat doubt that..

Odds are that one of Bean and Fleury will turn into a solid top4 D in the next 2-3 years to adequately replace him in that #3/4 role he will be occupying for the next 5 years anyways...

I like Necas but I don't think you should bank on him fixing your offensive issues...

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yeah I really disagree with that.

I love Hanifin but the Canes want to win now ( and I really believe they need one more top tier offensive piece to ever have a real chance to do anything in the playoffs) much of his value right now is more the potential of what he could turn into instead of what he actually is right now.

With Slavin and Pesce locked in for an eternity and Faulk being the one piece on D they can't internally replace (RHD offensive D), Hanifin is probably the one you should trade.

He probably won't come as cheap as these other two if he has a good season next year and he probably is the only expendable piece that can land you that top tier center they need.

That said. I probably wouldn't trade him for Duchene.
Probably better off waiting for what shakes lose in the near future (Tavares? Reinhart? Nylander? X?)

But he IMO is exactly the trade chip you use upgrade your forward core unless you believe he will turn into a bonafide Norris contender in the future that will surpass Slavin. And as much as I love Noah, I somewhat doubt that..

Odds are that one of Bean and Fleury will turn into a solid top4 D in the next 2-3 years to adequately replace him in that #3/4 role he will be occupying for the next 5 years anyways...

I like Necas but I don't think you should bank on him fixing your offensive issues...

Well I don't think you should bank on Matty Duchene fixing them either. :laugh: He's good but he's not so good that he can galvanize an offense all by himself on the level of the league's elite forwards.

I do agree that even with all the very talented/promising forwards the Canes have, they could use an upgrade somewhere, likely at center. But at the current asking price I too would not make the deal for Duchene, I'd be looking elsewhere. If by chance John Tavares becomes available later on this season, that's probably a better bet. A more expensive one, yes, but a better one nonetheless.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Why is that such a bad deal? I don't think Granlund is some mega-talent, that's about in line with a good-but-not-great scoring line center, which is what he is.

If anything's a bad deal it's the contracts for their two best players.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Yeah I mean Granlund just scored 69 points, plays both ways, has insane hockey sense and is definitely at this point a veteran leader on that team even at a relatively young age. A legit first line player with an AAV under $6 million is fantastic.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I think it's great for Granlund because he gets pretty good money now and then becomes an UFA at 28. Not a bad deal for the Wild but I don't really like the term for them.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Ya that's a solid contract for Granlund. Good value for him but also decent for the Wild, although only 3 years isn't so great.

Pesce deal is good as well, but I'm not sure it's deserving of the ridiculous praise it's getting on the main boards right now either.

He's a solid #3 but no more. And with such limited offensive upside he also probably doesn't have much more room to go. Given that Parayko and Slavin just signed for 5.5M, he really didn't leave very much on the table IMO.

I think people are going to continue to be surprised by the contracts these good young Dmen are gonna be getting locked up long term at. No longer are teams going the bridge deal route with these guys, and instead just getting them locked up long term at younger ages, and for lower cap hits to gamble on the continued progression(And for most of them it's not much of a gamble).

We've seen it now with Parayko, Slavin, Pesce, Dumolin, Ghost, Ristolainen, Jones, etc. etc.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I don't expect success next year. I'd have been a happy camper if we'd have traded Duchene already and managed to get rid of Colborne and Comeau. Not asking for anything more than that, even willing to give Soda another chance. But the Duchene situation alone means that this summer has been a huge failure so far. That was #1 priority ffs.

If you're so convinced that all the roster turnover I pointed out to you is meaningless, why on Earth would you think that dumping Comeau and Colborne (each with only one year left on their deals, easy to ride out) and trading Duchene (presumably for a young top 4 LHD that isn't available) would constitute huge, sweeping change and a successful offseason? Adding three more names to the "departed" list I posted is somehow the key to everything?

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Yeah I mean Granlund just scored 69 points, plays both ways, has insane hockey sense and is definitely at this point a veteran leader on that team even at a relatively young age. A legit first line player with an AAV under $6 million is fantastic.

Three years isn't exactly long term though. They are only getting one UFA year out of him.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
The new Nashville

Exactly my thoughts.

Canes stocking up their defense while having average offense just like the Preds, and Pittsburgh actually proved everyone who says defense wins wrong.

Edit: I mean defense does win, but that phrase has a different meaning. It doesn't mean you have to stock up your blue line and have average or below average offense. That wont win you anything. When they say defense wins, it means team defense.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Three years isn't exactly long term though. They are only getting one UFA year out of him.

Oh I agree in that regard I just couldn't tell if the original post was thinking it was a bad deal because of Granlund or because it doesn't do enough to lock Granlund down further.

I'm sure his camp were looking for a lot more coin to lock down more UFA years and the Wild simply don't have the cap space to do it.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
If you're so convinced that all the roster turnover I pointed out to you is meaningless, why on Earth would you think that dumping Comeau and Colborne (each with only one year left on their deals, easy to ride out) and trading Duchene (presumably for a young top 4 LHD that isn't available) would constitute huge, sweeping change and a successful offseason?

Where the heck did I say that it would constitute a huge sweeping change? I said I really didn't want much (only trading Duchene and getting rid of the crap is basically doing nothing after a season like that), and they did less than half of it.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Great attitude. Dutchy is going to come back on literal fire imo. I reckon he, with Landy and Yakupov have the potential to rip opposition teams apart.

:biglaugh:

I know you're an eternal optimist but still, I literally laughed out loud when I read Yakupov's name in your statement.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Oh I agree in that regard I just couldn't tell if the original post was thinking it was a bad deal because of Granlund or because it doesn't do enough to lock Granlund down further.

I'm sure his camp were looking for a lot more coin to lock down more UFA years and the Wild simply don't have the cap space to do it.

More that it was only for 3 years while still paying him just under 6 mil. I can't recall of many players getting that type of contract, there's very few benefits for Minnesota signing him to a 3 year contract.

They have ~4.8 mil in cap space, the only RFA they need to resign is Foligno. Koivu comes off the books next year and he'll either be cheaper or let go, and they have a few promising C prospects that look prime to take the #2/3 role in the next year or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad