Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 2017-18 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I don't think Z possesses the hockey mind to ever be a top flight defensemen. Over time he might develop into a solid 2 with experience, but in the near term, I think he will round into a 3 with flashes of more that will constantly give people hope.

Zads is going to be at his best when he has a long leash and can just run on instinct. You can tell when he is overthinking the game, he becomes extremely hesitant and is a bit behind the play. So I agree that he likely doesn't have the hockey mind to be a consistent top flight defensemen. I do think he can be a top-pairing guy if there's a smarter player paired beside him though.

Lonewolfe brought up Burns, and I think that's the absolute ceiling of a guy like Zads, though I don't think he'll ever reach the offense that Burns is capable of. A lot of things would have to go right for him to get even close to Burns, but that's the type of player I think he'll be. One of those guys where you live with his mistakes because when he is on he can be a monster.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
This reminds me of the critiques EJ got when he came to Colorado. If there's one person I will remember fondly from our coaching staff over the last decade, it's Tourigny and the work he put in with EJ.

It's too bad he wasn't around when we acquired Zadorov.

I think they are similar in that regard. I think EJ was a bit smarter and had a good amount more offensive talent, but similar critiques on the IQ. EJ turned the corner around ~25-26. I'd expect the same with Z. If Z lives up to his potential or even 75% of it, I think he will be solidly in his mid 20s when he does.

Zads is going to be at his best when he has a long leash and can just run on instinct. You can tell when he is overthinking the game, he becomes extremely hesitant and is a bit behind the play. So I agree that he likely doesn't have the hockey mind to be a consistent top flight defensemen. I do think he can be a top-pairing guy if there's a smarter player paired beside him though.

Lonewolfe brought up Burns, and I think that's the absolute ceiling of a guy like Zads, though I don't think he'll ever reach the offense that Burns is capable of. A lot of things would have to go right for him to get even close to Burns, but that's the type of player I think he'll be. One of those guys where you live with his mistakes because when he is on he can be a monster.

I think later on Z should have a long leash, but while he is still getting used to 18-20 minute loads... he needs to solidify his game. Once he can be trusted with those minutes (and that should come later this upcoming season), then he should be allowed to play his game freely. I don't think Z has the offensive talent of a Burns type of player. He just doesn't read the game nearly as well and has never had the instincts of when to pinch. To me, that isn't something that a player just picks up in their early 20s. It is either there early, or it isn't. Burns always had that as a part of his game, even when he wasn't piling up points. To me, in a lot of ways, Z is a classic hockey tease. There is so much physical talent, but so many holes in his game.

Last edited:

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I don't recall Burns displaying that offensive instinct in his early Minnesota days. He seemed about as awkward on the ice as Zadorov, not quite defensively strong, not quite offensively putting things together. Great raw physical skills for the most part. That's what led to his winger days, coaches felt he was such a physical specimen he could get into the crease area and do damage. Similar to Byfuglien.

That's why I say Burns when I see Zadorov play. A lot of those same awkward on ice mechanics which if they come together he'll be a solid player at both ends of the ice but more of an offensive threat than defensive stalwart. If we keep trying to force him to be a shutdown defender then he's never going to develop a NHL offensive game like he's capable of. I don't think it's his instincts that are holding back his offensive positioning (pinching or otherwise), I think it's simply a matter of learning NHL timing and not having any rope to experiment until he finds it.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Dude Slavin was most definitely not a #1 last year. In all honesty I don't think he is rn. But he's bordering.

Zadorovs potential is much higher than what Slavin is today. Much much higher. The question of will he come anywhere near reaching it is why they have this money issue.

Because I could see him signing a long term deal for 4m and be worth 7 a year. I could also see him signing for 4 and staying what he is. Which would be atrocious.

He's worth the gamble to me tho. I think he's got the juice.

Oh my God. Either you've not watched Slavin much, or you're in for a rude awekening with Zadorov.

Slavin was absolutely a #1 last year. And a good one at that.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Lonewolfe brought up Burns, and I think that's the absolute ceiling of a guy like Zads, though I don't think he'll ever reach the offense that Burns is capable of.

What makes Burns elite is his offense though, so saying he could be Burns without the offense isn't saying much.

I don't get the Burns comparison really. Burns had obvious offensive talent even in the early days, which is why he played forward. Would you think of using Zadorov as a forward? I wouldn't.

At this point we don't have a clue how Zadorov will turn out, throwing around random big names like Buff and Burns is just setting our expectations way too high for a 22 year old mystery box.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
What makes Burns elite is his offense though, so saying he could be Burns without the offense isn't saying much.

I don't get the Burns comparison really. Burns had obvious offensive talent even in the early days, which is why he played forward. Would you think of using Zadorov as a forward? I wouldn't.

At this point we don't have a clue how Zadorov will turn out, throwing around random big names like Buff and Burns is just setting our expectations way too high for a 22 year old mystery box.

Zads has the offensive skills & creativity, even if he didn't have enough rope to show it last season. There's a reason he's been a dynamic creator at every prior level.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Zads has the offensive skills & creativity, even if he didn't have enough rope to show it last season. There's a reason he's been a dynamic creator at every prior level.

Exactly. What he has shown in Colorado is what the coaches asked of him. Not his natural style.

A Burns-lite is not a bad thing. That's a physical offensive defender with the ability to not get exposed defensively. He won't shut you down but he will make plays happen and hold his own defensively. That's what I see from Zads if they let him learn through errors instead of keeping a tight leash.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Prior to his draft year, I never saw the dynamic offensive quality in his game. He had offense in London, but I wouldn't have called it dynamic or creative. When the Sabres sent him down in his +1 year, he showed a bit of that quality. I simply don't see a 40+ point guy in Z ever, but I hope to be wrong in that regard.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Prior to his draft year, I never saw the dynamic offensive quality in his game. He had offense in London, but I wouldn't have called it dynamic or creative. When the Sabres sent him down in his +1 year, he showed a bit of that quality. I simply don't see a 40+ point guy in Z ever, but I hope to be wrong in that regard.

I wouldn't count on 40 either but he had decent offense in the AHL, which isn't exactly easy to do.

So realistically a 30ish pts guy, not a shutdown dman but still decent defensively. That's textbook #3.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Huh...maybe he's a bit of a sleeper like Ossi Vaananen. Ossi was actually better when paired with another defense-first guy. He wasn't an offensive generator by any means but played very aggressively when he didn't feel the need to sit back, threw hits and even jumped (yes, I said jumped) into the play on occasion.

I would really like to see the Avs employ that style. I am absolutely sick of the sit-back-and-block-everything strategy that's been employed here the last 20 years.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Well, it certainly appears that the Avs are going to take Z to his self-imposed deadline. Hopefully he was not serious about jumping to the KHL.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Well, it certainly appears that the Avs are going to take Z to his self-imposed deadline. Hopefully he was not serious about jumping to the KHL.

I almost hope he makes the jump and that forces Sakic out of here. We still obtain his rights, don't we? Bring him back in a couple years under a totally different FO and coaching staff.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Losing Zadorov would certainly force Sakic to trade Duchene sooner than later. Not sure if other teams would lowball offers due to desperation, but they need to make some moves. Sakic is not getting it done and if the team finishes near the bottom, they will at least get a very good player next year. Hopefully, Sakic, Bednar and the rest of the Administration is cleared out for some competent staff.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
RFA rights are held through the lessor age of not getting a QO, 7 accrued seasons, or 27 before July 1st of that season (or 25 for a Group VI, but Z is past that as a possibility since he has played over 80 NHL games). Right now Z has 2 accrued seasons and won't accrue 7 before his 27th birthday. So even if Z bolts, he won't be a NHL UFA until 2022.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
So is there any indication that Z's camp is making outrageous, ludicrous demands and KHL threats or is the Avs brass just taking a hardline and putting his feet to the fire and not willing to pay him a cent more than his "money stats" say he should be paid?

If it's more the latter than the former then butchering this negotiation and letting Z walk back to Russia is way, way more egregious even than not getting a Duchene trade done. This is THE centerpiece in the last big trade you made, this guy's development is really the key to the defense improving - and what? Your going to let him walk away for 2 years (and potentially develop a lasting bad relationship) because of some moral contractual high-ground and precedent you are trying to stick to - that has worked so well up until this point? I'm going to love hearing the spin job from FO/PR on this one...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad