Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 2017-18 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
:biglaugh:

I know you're an eternal optimist but still, I literally laughed out loud when I read Yakupov's name in your statement.

Laugh away mate. Love how it's just automatic to some, that a line like Landeskog - Duchene - Yakupov (probably playing against 2nd pairs, if Ghetto - Mackinnon - Rantanen is our top line) is going to fail.

I just completely disagree, and I hope fans have a good stock of umbrella's, because egg will be being flung big time in everyone's direction - and remember, when posts are being made like, "Sea Eagles actually SUGGESTED this may happen" when they excel, I'll be the happiest man (for you guys AND me) than ever.

5 on 5, or even on the PP, the below looks very exciting to me:

Landeskog - Duchene - Yakupov
Barberio - Barrie
Varlamov

Barrie plays right D, and Yakupov plays right wing. A lot of Yakupov's goals that I've seen come from rebounds, and while Barrie's goal total's were down, he was still second on the team with 182 shots (and playing 8 games short of 82), meaning lots of potential messy rebounds.

I just see potential in it. I see there could be chemistry that may suit Landy, Dutchy and Yakupov so they could all really succeed.

It's not just, "this team is going to fail".

Actually, out of our top 4 shooters last season, Landy, Barrie and Dutchy were 3 of the top....this bodes very, very well for Yakupov - be wary about just writing the 23 year old kid off.

Check out how a lot of his goals came about of you think I'm full of crap:

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
De Haan signs with the Isles for 1 year, $3.3 million. Big mistake by Snow I think. I'd have given him long-term, $4.75. I still think De Haan should've been a target in a Duchene deal.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Pesce got $4 million per and is twice the player CDH is. I realize he is only getting a couple UFA years bought out and CDH is older so longer-term = more UFA buyout years but $4.75 million for CDH long-term is a pretty heavy price. It's obvious the Isles don't see him as a long-term key piece with that kind of deal. He'll either get dealt at the deadline as rental or be kept for a playoff push and then walk into an over-priced UFA deal.

Either way, he's completely off the board as a trade target with Duchene as he has zero value to the Avs on that kind of deal. I was warming to him as a complimentary piece to a deal so long as Barzal or Beauvillier and a 1st were also coming our way but given that he was asking for $5 million I'm glad we stayed away.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I'd thought De Haan was noticeably excellent for Canada at the Worlds, and has been progressing with the Isles for several years. And he's half the player Brett Pesce is?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Pesce is a better player, but I wouldn't say THAT much better... the deals are not real comparable though. Pesce is coming off of his ELC, and CDH was nearing his hearing and 1 year from UFA. CDH had all the leverage and the Isles didn't want to pay up.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
I'd thought De Haan was noticeably excellent for Canada at the Worlds, and has been progressing with the Isles for several years. And he's half the player Brett Pesce is?

Ok, it's hyperbole but yes, I'd be much more comfortable with Pesce moving forward.

Like I said, I was warming to CDH, we could do much worse as a second pair partner for Barrie. He'd be a nice fit. But that ship has sailed.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
So the Isles signed CDH for one year and then he's UFA? That's very bad for the Isles.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It's possible deHaan gave Isles a screw you long term number simply because he was fine with taking a one year arbitration award and getting to free agency.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
It's possible deHaan gave Isles a screw you long term number simply because he was fine with taking a one year arbitration award and getting to free agency.

Players know that the younger you hit free agency, the more money you'll make in your career.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Just because there are other inept GMs doesn't mean Sakic is any less inept. ;)

Yep.

I'd definitely rank Bergevin at or near the bottom, even lower than Benning at this point (I think a lot of fault in Vancouver also lies with ownership as well).

I used to think Bob Murray was pretty awful (and for the most part still do) but there's no arguing his moves of late. Same goes with Doug Armstron in STL.

Snow was actually pretty good when he started out but a couple really bad offseasons and a whole slew of first rounders that either got dealt for nothing (Niderreiter) or just didn't plain pan out (Reinhart, which is now Barzal but still) are hurting them big-time. Now they're in desperation mode and I worry they're gonna make some really bad moves down the stretch just to try and appease Tavares.

But yes...I'm not sure I wouldn't rank Joe Sakic at the very bottom. The reason it's so hard to rank him is because, really, he hasn't done much. Period. That's both his saving grace and his biggest weakness. He sat back and did absolutely NOTHING while the Avs twisted in the wind, but also hasn't made any egregiously bad trades/signings that put this team in a terrible position long-term. I really worry though because he is poised to make his first truly big move much like Bergevin was, and like Bergevin did, I think he's going to fail miserably.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I'm sure the spin is its ok, they can resign him at any time.

He clearly accepted less money this year in exchange for being free in only one year. He has no intention whatsoever to resign there otherwise why would he take a discount this year? He's gone at the deadline.

The interesting thing though is how the Isles will do without CDH and Hamonic? And where does Tavares fit in a team like that? I'm really not sure where this team is going.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't think it's a foregone conclusion he's gone. They have the entire season to re-sign him. If it had gone to arbitration and all the dirty laundry came out then I think the situation would be worse.

But it's not an ideal situation for Snow. Just one more player to worry about.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I don't think it's a foregone conclusion he's gone. They have the entire season to re-sign him. If it had gone to arbitration and all the dirty laundry came out then I think the situation would be worse.

But it's not an ideal situation for Snow. Just one more player to worry about.

I really don't think he agreed to 3M with the intention of resigning there. 27 year old top 4 defenseman is worth a ton of money on the UFA market. Someone will offer him that juicy 5-6 years contract.

PS to TV: we need a new thread. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad