Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Whatever Sakic is doing, these GM seem VERY interested in Duchene. Otherwise they would'nt cry to the media like they do.

Not so sure about that. It's possible the media just keeps asking about it and they're frustrated with the constant chatter and Sakic's obstinacy. I get the feeling most teams have moved on. The only ones I see possibly circling back might be Columbus, the Islanders, and Montreal. And by that time I imagine Sakic will have had to drop his demands.

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
Sure can. When he starts pouting and playing like crap, it will force Sakic's hand. Then Duchene will be traded for peanuts. Or be kept until there is a holdout and it gets even messier in the locker room and the press.

As painful as it might be the law of averages will eventually catch up with the organization. The less they do the faster it likely happens.

Worst case poor morale from lack of Duchene trade coupled with the utterly surprising lack of major moves in general (if for no other reason to make sure players understand that this #$% won't be tolerated) will more than likely result in another embarrassing losing streak this fall if not last the entire season.

No matter how bad Kroenke's are I cannot believe they will allow this garbage to become even more blatantly obvious to the wider public w/o doing something about it. I wouldn't be surprise to hear of pressure from the NHL if this continued either.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I wish we could see whats being offered because it's frustrating to hear how teams are supposedly meeting Sakic's asks but still being turned down. I highly doubt that.
Take CLB for example, I'm sure they view Murray as a young top4 D but numbers and the eye-test def. go against that assertion. Then you add in some B level prospect and a 2nd and in their opinion, they have met the demands.

its like asking for a new iphone in trade and someone offers a new iphone...5 "What?! its new isnt it?!!"

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I wish we could see whats being offered because it's frustrating to hear how teams are supposedly meeting Sakic's asks but still being turned down. I highly doubt that.
Take CLB for example, I'm sure they view Murray as a young top4 D but numbers and the eye-test def. go against that assertion. Then you add in some B level prospect and a 2nd and in their opinion, they have met the demands.

its like asking for a new iphone in trade and someone offers a new iphone...5 "What?! its new isnt it?!!"

I got to think that there is some kind of misinformation out there. I feel like when some GMs say they've met the asking price, it's not really the asking price it their version of the asking price. I'm sure Sakic is at fault some, but not as much as the media is making it out to be.

I believe there was a rumor around the deadline that Pittsburgh offered Maatta+Jarry+1st. While it include a young dman+prospect+1st, it's not really a great offer. As Maatta is average, Jarry is ok and the 1st was basically a 2nd. So in Rutherford's head he "met" the asking price of young D+prospect+pick but the offer was crap.

There is a difference between say an offer of CDH+Barzal+1st (Which was probably never offered) compared to Maatta+Jarry+1st or Murray+prospect+1st

Last edited:

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
So, how do you guys justify the part about Sakic not even responding with a counteroffer?

Depends how everything went down. If it was a crap offer and they've been told in the past that if it didn't include XYZ parts don't bother sending the offer we're not going to even entertain the offer. Then I don't mind Sakic not responding, because he's already told them not to waste his time.

If it was initial contact and they were making their first pitch and Sakic blew them off, then we have a problem.

We have no idea what has really transpired during this whole ordeal.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I got to think that there is some kind of misinformation out there. I feel like when some GMs say they've met the asking price, it's not really the asking price it their version of the asking price. I'm sure Sakic is at fault some, but not as much as the media is making it out to be.

I believe there was a rumor around the deadline that Pittsburgh offered Maatta+Jarry+1st. While it include a young dman+prospect+1st, it's not really a great offer. As Maatta is average, Jarry is ok and the 1st was basically a 2nd. So in Rutherford's head he "met" the asking price of young D+prospect+pick but the offer was crap.

There is a difference between say an offer of CDH+Barzal+1st (Which was probably never offered) compared to Maatta+Jarry+1st or Murray+prospect+1st

Or Murray + PLD

Yeah my issue is that I've never seen a leaked offer that was clear cut something Sakic should have taken, and we're supposed to take the other side's word for it that our GM is just being an ass. Some people on here already have fallen into that trap.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City

Exactly, and the problem with this interpretation is that while said GMs are claiming they are meeting the asking price and get the eventual no from Sakic, all we hear is Sakic is being unreasonable, he doesn't really want to trade him, yadda yadda. I, so far, haven't heard the other side of the story.

I mean I guess we never will get hard confirmed "yes this was offered" and the GM comes out to the press and says so cause that rarely happens. Hell, you can prb. count on one hand how many "confirmed offers" in NHL history that was reported on record.

I guess I'm of the opinion that if the asking price was met this would have been done already, so IMO it hasn't been. I honestly don't think it's happened once.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Or Murray + PLD

Yeah my issue is that I've never seen a leaked offer that was clear cut something Sakic should have taken, and we're supposed to take the other side's word for it that our GM is just being an ass. Some people on here already have fallen into that trap.

Don't be so naive. Duchene's agent is even upset.

And how many teams have apparently been after Duchene? You honestly believe every single one of them is low balling Sakic? When nobody is willing to meet your demands and you have an asset that people actually want, well, the demands are obviously too high.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Or Murray + PLD

Exactly, the media makes **** up all the time, and people just eat it up like it is facts. Who knows how the negotiations are going. Maybe just maybe these opposing GMs are getting frustrated that their lowball offers aren't getting accepted, and they are pissed that Sakic won't take crap offers, so they are venting to the media. Make a good offer and you can have Duchene. It's funny how many teams are pursuing Duchene, but yet no GM wants to give up anything of value.

We've never really been given any info on any players other than Duchene. It's all speculation.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Don't be so naive. Duchene's agent is even upset.

And how many teams have apparently been after Duchene? You honestly believe every single one of them is low balling Sakic? When nobody is willing to meet your demands and you have an asset that people actually want, well, the demands are obviously too high.

Lol, so because the Islanders beat writer says Duchene's agent is upset, it's a stone cold fact...I feel like you're the one being naive. You can't believe everything you read.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Can we stop blaming the media and other teams now? Enough. The media don't give a damn if a team underpays or overpays for Duchene. Also, other GM's don't want their rival to get Duchene for cheap so there's certainly no concensus among them to keep the price low.

Last edited:

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Duchene is going to start the year with the Avs if he isn't traded within a week or two. Duchene getting married is the last event Sakic could be waiting for before trading him out of a respect. If he isn't gone by then, other teams won't be upping their offers from now to the start of the season.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

Yeah not really suprising.

Looks like slow Joe will keep him until he can use the same excuse as he did with ROR that Duchenes contract status forced him to take less and that he still got a good haul for only 12 months of Duchene...

Makes it seem like he at this point is only in self-preservation mode. I mean pretty sure he has an idea what the general consensus on his abilities as a GM are right now and I don't think his ego can handle that.

Oh well. I think I will take Daters advice and "enjoy the summer" for a bit.

Have a good one, guys and girls!

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Looks like slow Joe will keep him until he can use the same excuse as he did with ROR that Duchenes contract status forced him to take less

Duchene's value will never be as high as it was at the last deadline. He had 2 years + a playoff run left on contract and he didn't have that terrible 2nd half of season yet. If a team didn't want to pay at the time it sure won't be happening now.

Excuse makers were saying it would be easier at the draft for "team structure" reasons. It wasn't.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Can we stop blaming the media and other teams now? Enough. The media don't give a damn if a team underpays or overpays for Duchene. Also, other GM's don't want their rival to get Duchene for cheap so there's certainly no concensus among them to keep the price low.

The media likes drama, because drama leads to clicks and retweets. GMs may or may not like the circus (although it's clear that at least one team did try to bully Sakic into taking their offer through media mouthpieces), but the media absolutely has something to gain by offering up their "exclusive" take on their self-generated frenzy.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Matt can do himself and everyone else a huge favor by coming out in October and lighting it up. We like to blame Joe and yah Joe is to blame for sure but Matt having himself an absolute **** season followed by an even worse WHC didnt help his ass at all.

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
Matt can do himself and everyone else a huge favor by coming out in October and lighting it up. We like to blame Joe and yah Joe is to blame for sure but Matt having himself an absolute **** season followed by an even worse WHC didnt help his ass at all.

Exactly, don't understand why most folks write this off as having nothing to do with the situation. He puts up 60 points last he's gone already.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I eagerly await a career year and subsequent 8 year contract extension for my boy Dutch. Leading by character and example on an emerging, energetic young Avalanche will do him a world of good.

arun

Click here to hide this advertisement
Jun 23, 2016
Holland

If Dutchy wanted to leave this badly (according to his agent's comments/reaction, being pissed off) he should have gotten his head out of his *** and stepped up, despite Bednar and an awful team. Not sure he didn't step up as a vocal leader in the dressing room, but sure as hell not point wise on the ice. I love Dutchy, don't get me wrong. That's why I wouldn't trade him desperately for some low picks and a mediocre top 4 D and B prospect. Although it might be the estimated value for him, due to HIS play, Sakic is in his full right to decline offers like these.

If you were to sell your house - knowing it's a great house with a above average foundation, some assets like a pool and it being selected in the top 20 of Canada (as in, Team Canada), and no offer you think is good enough, would you listen to your friends at the bar who push you to sell it for let's say, half of your asking price?

Dutchy should step up and earn his trade, as in: Play your frikking heart out and make sure GM's are willing to offer a Hanifin or Josi, since you'd be the superstar C they need.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Lol, so because the Islanders beat writer says Duchene's agent is upset, it's a stone cold fact...I feel like you're the one being naive. You can't believe everything you read.

Duchene's agent would have refuted that statement if untrue. And no GM is going to be stupid enough to lie about and use an agent like that. These people have to maintain work relationships with each other. Pretty sure it wasn't just NYI beat writer as well. It's not naive to use common sense to determine if someone is full of **** or not. The fact that Brisson has let the narrative about him go on is quite telling.

I don't believe everything. So nice try there.

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
If Dutchy wanted to leave this badly (according to his agent's comments/reaction, being pissed off) he should have gotten his head out of his *** and stepped up, despite Bednar and an awful team. Not sure he didn't step up as a vocal leader in the dressing room, but sure as hell not point wise on the ice. I love Dutchy, don't get me wrong. That's why I wouldn't trade him desperately for some low picks and a mediocre top 4 D and B prospect. Although it might be the estimated value for him, due to HIS play, Sakic is in his full right to decline offers like these.

If you were to sell your house - knowing it's a great house with a above average foundation, some assets like a pool and it being selected in the top 20 of Canada (as in, Team Canada), and no offer you think is good enough, would you listen to your friends at the bar who push you to sell it for let's say, half of your asking price?

Dutchy should step up and earn his trade, as in: Play your frikking heart out and make sure GM's are willing to offer a Hanifin or Josi, since you'd be the superstar C they need.
When you sell a house you sell it at market value because, well, that's all the market will pay. If you don't like market value then feel free to hold onto that house as long as you'd like. However, if you want to sell so you can move into a new house somewhere else then you take market value or cancel your plans for the new house.

Trading Duchene is very similar. You take market value or you hold onto him and cancel whatever plans you had going forward without him.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It is VERY common knowledge that Brisson is upset. They literally had an argument on the draft floor. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad