Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 2017-18 Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
What I don't like is the lines about our defense. So teams like Buffalo and Toronto are able to outright tank, but when we don't sign a bunch of trash with NHL experience it's a failure. Oh, but wait apparently other NHL teams have thrown us a life line in regards to our defense as a return for Duchene. LOL... k

If Eklund has an ounce of credibility it's with NY/Philly based teams. I don't believe for one second that hes talked to any players on the Avs either.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
He says we have 39 contracts, it's actually 32. But part of it, which nobody knows, is because of the taking on half of the Blues prospects in transition to getting the 31st AHL team.

He's not wrong and it's a pretty good summation of what's going on. But it's not Joe it's the entire organization that just feeds into it. He's a symptom but not the cause. I have no idea what rock bottom would be to change the culture and make up of the org.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
What I don't like is the lines about our defense. So teams like Buffalo and Toronto are able to outright tank, but when we don't sign a bunch of trash with NHL experience it's a failure. Oh, but wait apparently other NHL teams have thrown us a life line in regards to our defense as a return for Duchene. LOL... k

If Eklund has an ounce of credibility it's with NY/Philly based teams. I don't believe for one second that hes talked to any players on the Avs either.

Regardless of he's talked to players or not, I have zero doubt the whole saga is a huge distraction.

I know it's going to be framed as the he's not moving Duchene fast enough, do the other teams a favor and take less and let him go. And I get that, there is that spin. But to me the more important point is the undercurrent of the article, which supports some of the things I've said for a while. They operate like they are in a different league than everyone, with their arrogance and how far behind they are it's just laughable at this point. There's no vision or plan other than draft high and hope it raises all boats.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Eklund is never going to get the fine details right (I think he was counting RFAs to the contracts thing, still wrong as that would be 38)... that is just who he is. The point of what he was saying is spot on. Yet another voice out there stating how Sakic operates, and it directly lines up with what I've heard over and over again. This front office is a gong show and the laughing stock of the NHL.

On Eklund talking to players... is it that unrealistic with Sadowski working there?

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
So my question to everyone is simple...if we have all these supposed locker room issues, why hasn't Landeskog's name been brought up more frequently in trade discussions. From my understanding if the captain can't keep the locker room in check then why the hell is he here? It's the captains job to keep the room together, even if there is turmoil.

I'm sure all you all will say that I'm just a Landy hater, and that I'm just making stuff up etc. But IMO this is a legit question. More than one source has documented locker room issues, if true then why the hell isn't Landy on the trading block or at minimum getting the C removed. I guess my standards are high for a captain but if he can't keep the guys together then get someone who can.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
One team claims they even met the Avalanche crazy asking prices and got a solid "No thanks," a source (not from Nashville) continued, "Then we asked what was missing and they went radio silent on us. Incredibly frustrating. Never seen anything like it."

That's highly embarassing if true. Is Sakic waiting passively for someone to send him an offer that pleases him and then he'll say yes? That's not how negociating works.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Landy has done what he can. These distractions and not created by him and any leader can only do so much. There's been plenty of players that said they enjoy the room and that Landy is a good leader. No one player is going to overcome a ****** organization over them.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
So my question to everyone is simple...if we have all these supposed locker room issues, why hasn't Landeskog's name been brought up more frequently in trade discussions. From my understanding if the captain can't keep the locker room in check then why the hell is he here? It's the captains job to keep the room together, even if there is turmoil.

I'm sure all you all will say that I'm just a Landy hater, and that I'm just making stuff up etc. But IMO this is a legit question. More than one source has documented locker room issues, if true then why the hell isn't Landy on the trading block or at minimum getting the C removed. I guess my standards are high for a captain but if he can't keep the guys together then get someone who can.

Have you missed the last year of Landy rumors?

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
As much as I loathe Sakic's apparent lack of vision and direction...does anyone really feel him being pushed by ownership to make a move would end well?

I think this needs to be his last year at the helm of the franchise and we need to move on with a new GM who's bright and aggressive.
I don't trust Sakic to make big moves.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
As much as I loathe Sakic's apparent lack of vision and direction...does anyone really feel him being pushed by ownership to make a move would end well?

I think this needs to be his last year at the helm of the franchise and we need to move on with a new GM who's bright and aggressive.

Ownership should simply ask Sakic to keep his president job and hire a new GM. Lombardi is still available. Go get him.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Ownership should simply ask Sakic to keep his president job and hire a new GM. Lombardi is still available. Go get him.

Nope, Sakic needs to be completely removed from the Avs. No president job, nothing.
Because then he would be involved with the hiring of a new guy and potentially influence the moves.

Yes the new GM would be the day to day person but President usually means final say.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

Avs don't need an aggressive GM.

They need a good one. This franchise has not had competent people in charge since the cap was introduced and Lacroix and the rest of the gang failed to adapt to the new brave world of the NHL..

Add that aside from Q these guys did not exactly hire quality coaches either (arguably the Avs never really have done that even when they were good but that is beside the point I guess) as well as their complete disregard for asset management and the draft up until recently, and it is really no surprise that this team ended up in the gutter.

Only way the Avs ever will get out of this is by fixing the biggest problem. The Colorado Avalanche organisation as a whole.
These two cups thanks to Quebecs sucking and the Lindros trade have been an excuse for our failures upstairs for far too long.

Until Kroenke wakes up and does what similar inept organisations have done recently (Toronto, EDM (partly) ) and brings in a well respected, highly qualified individual from the outside to clean house and revamp this organisation and bring them up to modern standards with a clear plan and vision in mind, the Avs will never get back to where we once were.

Unfortunately we are owned by a Kroenke so that is not going to happen anytime soon unless the fans really turn on them which won't happen in Denver with Joe in charge.

So yeah we are a bit screwed.

Sorry for the rant.

My whole point is that the Avs don't need an agressive GM. We need someone who is not as passive and reactive as the joke of a GM that is Joe Sakic but regardless of the GM it will take some patience to turn this around so a highly aggressive guy like Chia would probably do more harm than good as well.

That said.
I have no problem with the amount of contracts. The Avs clearly do not give a damn about asset management and stockpiling flippable vets for next years deadline (not surprising given who is in charge...). So if that is off the table, I expect them to do the same thing they always do. Repeat what was working earlier on.

Which means I expect them to claim quite a few guys off of waivers during the one phase at the end of training camp where everyone tries to sneak their young, waiver eligible guys down to the AHL. And honestly I think that is a good move if they don't like to do the smart asset management approach with sellable UFAs....

We have waivier priority #1 afterall...

Last edited:

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Have you missed the last year of Landy rumors?

What the Eklund crap? Seriously I've never seen a credible source talk more than a half second about Landeskog being available. He wasn't even listed in the top 30 trade targets for TSN, even MacKinnon was included on that list.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
What the Eklund crap? Seriously I've never seen a credible source talk more than a half second about Landeskog being available. He wasn't even listed in the top 30 trade targets for TSN, even MacKinnon was included on that list.

It has been widely reported by many in the media...

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
It will not happen.

I know it won't happen. Much like Sakic will more than likely remain in control of the day to day operations.

Avs don't need an aggressive GM.

They need a good one. This franchise has not had competent people in charge since the cap was introduced and Lacroix and the rest of the gang failed to adapt to the new brave world of the NHL..

Add that aside from Q these guys did not exactly hire quality coaches either (arguably the Avs never really have done that even when they were good but that is beside the point I guess) as well as their complete disregard for asset management and the draft up until recently, and it is really no surprise that this team ended up in the gutter.

Only way the Avs ever will get out of this is by fixing the biggest problem. The Colorado Avalanche organisation as a whole.
These two cups thanks to Quebecs sucking and the Lindros trade have been an excuse for our failures upstairs for far too long.

Until Kroenke wakes up and does what similar inept organisations have done recently (Toronto, EDM (partly) ) and brings in a well respected, highly qualified individual from the outside to clean house and revamp this organisation and bring them up to modern standards with a clear plan and vision in mind, the Avs will never get back to where we once were.

Unfortunately we are owned by a Kroenke so that is not going to happen anytime soon unless the fans really turn on them which won't happen in Denver with Joe in charge.

So yeah we are a bit screwed.

Sorry for the rant.

My whole point is that the Avs don't need an agressive GM. We need someone who is not as passive and reactive as the joke of a GM that is Joe Sakic but regardless of the GM it will take some patience to turn this around so a highly aggressive guy like Chia would probably do more harm than good as well.

That said.
I have no problem with the amount of contracts. The Avs clearly do not give a damn about asset management and stockpiling flippable vets for next years deadline (not surprising given who is in charge...). So if that is off the table, I expect them to do the same thing they always do. Repeat what was working earlier on.

Which means I expect them to claim quite a few guys off of waivers during the one phase at the end of training camp where everyone tries to sneak their young, waiver eligible guys down to the AHL. And honestly I think that is a good move if they don't like to do the smart asset management approach with sellable UFAs....

We have waivier priority #1 afterall...

When I say aggressive I don't mean someone who will always be involved in deals just to make deals.
I mean someone who knows what their vision is and is going to execute it. They will make deals when it needs to be made, they will move pieces around and gain assets for future moves and etc.

I'm not saying the person needs to come in and tear everything down to the studs. I am saying we need someone who will be calculated in their approach but always make the move with certainty when necessary.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I know it won't happen. Much like Sakic will more than likely remain in control of the day to day operations.

When I say aggressive I don't mean someone who will always be involved in deals just to make deals.
I mean someone who knows what their vision is and is going to execute it. They will make deals when it needs to be made, they will move pieces around and gain assets for future moves and etc.

I'm not saying the person needs to come in and tear everything down to the studs. I am saying we need someone who will be calculated in their approach but always make the move with certainty when necessary.

So basically a good GM that knows what he is doing ;).

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
One thing I find interesting is that Sakic said anyone is potentially available except MacKinnon, Rantanen, and Jost and for some reason the press and everyone else has run with the Duchene is being traded rumors yet the Landeskog is getting traded rumors are pretty silent; specially lately. There's a few Barrie is getting traded rumors and almost no Johnson is getting traded rumors yet Duchene rumors are all over the media, blogs, and message boards.

I wonder if that's because Duchene rumors are more sexy to report and talk about. Or, because of how Duchene handled the rumors initially vs Landeskog, Barrie, et al. Or, perhaps there really is smoke where there's fire.

I don't know if anyone knows for sure but I find it a bit eyebrow raising why Duchene is in all the rumors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad