Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXXVIII | Countdown to Sadness

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I'm suprised more aren't concerned about the goaltending. We have one guy who has never been a starter and one guy who has never started an NHL game. And goaltending nearly cost us our playoff spot this season.

The goalie we sign to compete with Werner for the Eagles needs to be one with some NHL experience. Andrew Hammond perhaps.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
They need a difference maker on the 2nd line, or someone that can drive that line, because we've seen all season long when MacKinnon line got shut down there was no one else who can make a difference. I mean if Avs are gonna be satisfied again just to barely making the playoffs, then they can stock up on bottom 6, but if they wanna compete for the division title, they need a guy who can drive the 2nd line, be a difference maker

You guys are going to be surprised when a guy like Jost takes a step forward, a guy like burakovsky starts producing given the opportunity and donskoi adding depth aswell. I'd bank on JT scoring 20+ goals this year, adding one more top 6 guy would be perfect until we can find a suitable trade that will bring in more help. Dzingle or Nyquist would be perfect. Alot of guys don't realize that players that are young don't just stay the same for years and years. Jost has a higher scoring rate than O'Reilly did in his first two years. In O'Reilly's third year he jumped up to 55 pts. Just have to trust the development. If it doesn't work we adjust to it. Great offseason by sakic so far. No albatross contracts and the teams better.

Donskoi >>>> Bourque and ghetto
Burakovsky > Wilson
Dzingle/Nyquist > Soderberg

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'm suprised more aren't concerned about the goaltending. We have one guy who has never been a starter and one guy who has never started an NHL game. And goaltending nearly cost us our playoff spot this season.

The goalie we sign to compete with Werner for the Eagles needs to be one with some NHL experience. Andrew Hammond perhaps.

I was probably Groobs biggest hater, but what he did down the stretch. Then into the playoffs really impressed me. It would be different had he not been just as good and consistent in the playoffs, but he broke through that barrier and question mark as well.

That playoff performance is what gives me a bit more of a sense of security. Maybe it's false, but IMO it helps. Especially since I think the playoffs are a different animal for goalies mentally. Which gives me hope for his mindset evolving to a level that can handle and entire regular season. The talent was obviously there for a long while. He had to take another step in his mental perpetration and ability to adapt, and he did that as far as I'm concerned.

EscapedGoat

Jun 15, 2012
Alot of guys don't realize that players that are young don't just stay the same for years and years.

You seriously think people don't realize that most players improve as they grow up? That's not really a hard hockey concept there. It'd be like saying "a lot of people don't realize that players decline as they get higher into their 30s".

This issue isn't that people dont realize that young players mature. The issue is that Jost really hasnt shown many signs of being a 2c for this team (although he looked damn good in some playoff games) and potentially banking the success of your second line on him becoming a solid 2c this year is silly.

What if he's the same player he was last year? A barely passable 3c most nights? Seems pretty risky to me for a team on the cusp.

Reactions: cgf

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
You seriously think people don't realize that most players improve as they grow up? That's not really a hard hockey concept there. It'd be like saying "a lot of people don't realize that players decline as they get higher into their 30s".

This issue isn't that people dont realize that young players mature. The issue is that Jost really hasnt shown many signs of being a 2c for this team (although he looked damn good in some playoff games) and potentially banking the success of your second line on him becoming a solid 2c this year is silly.

What if he's the same player he was last year? A barely passable 3c most nights? Seems pretty risky to me for a team on the cusp.

The thing is sakic never said Jost is taking reigns of 2C. And Soderberg wasn't our 2C outside of the playoffs. Where he was absolutely piss poor. There's no telling what the solution is for 2C but if we have two solid wingers I got no problem starting the year with Jost there and seeing how it goes. Some guys on here are for sure acting like none of the younger guys will jump up in production which is ridiculous to suggest. Our team is better then it was in the playoffs and fans are acting like it's been a complete failure cause we traded a guy who's produced 100 pts in his last 239 games that was apparently our go to 2C. Getting sad reading all the nonsense. Going out of free agency without a terrible contract and a better overall depth to our team is a big win.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Central is going to be stacked once again damn, the pacific is a joke.

Avs, Preds, Jets, Stars, Hawks, Blues + Wild.

Only the Jets had to purge the roster, 2 good teams are going to miss the playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: CobraAcesS

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I don't like Pavelski to Dallas because I can't cheer for him anymore. And if the rumors are true about Perry they are going to be slower and older than dirt as a team. Shades of Avs when we signed Iginla and co. Hopefully it works out as good for them as it did for us.

Zucc to Wild makes no freaking sense for either party when looking at the fit. But I guess money talks on Zucc's end.

Duchene at 8mil to Predators is a bargain, Lee for 8mil to Montreal is moronic on the other hand, but if a guy like Hayes gets 7, Lee who is a markedly better player can push for 8. Duchene should be getting 10 with those prices.

Love the Donskoi add if true. Both term and money are more than reasonable. As it stands right now the best FA acquisition this team has made in eons.

Myers at 6 is moronic. Ray Ferraro made a great point at TSN radio the other day, after Jeff O'Neill rabbled on how Myers is a better player than Gardiner, he is a guy who got fed cream-puff comp, played 3rd pair and still got caved in. He's a 3rd pairing d making #3 money. Barrie can ask for 9 easy if a bum like Myers gets 6. This is far worse than the Hayes contract which seemed crazy.

Connolly to Cats seems OK. I'm not all that big of a fan of his, but that seems reasonable.

Can't figure out how a guy like Panik gets 4 years. That's insane for a 4th liner.

Panarin to Isles would be great for the league. they seem like a fun team on the verge of contending. Too bad they chased away their #1 goalie because they dicked around with him. Now they have to pay Varlamov, or some other mope and hope Korn can do his magic again.

I like the Duchene add the best, then Panarin, then Donskoi, if reports materialize that is. Hoping we add Nyquist or Dzingel as well.

Reactions: MikeC

Muuri

Nov 14, 2009
Donskoi is one of my favorites, but I'm wondering if Avs are asking him fill too big shoes. If you are expecting him to be 4th or 5th best forward on your team, then its too much. As 3rd liner he is a valuable piece but I though you already had that line covered?

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
I predict for today:

- Dzingel
- Donskoi

And we hopefully stay away from one of these suicide-contracts which get handed out today.

Panarin wont come to Denver. Think it´s safe to say he will end on Long Island. As much as it would be amazing to have a line fo Panarin-Mac-Rants, not with this price-tag. Panarin is a great player, but he is not worth to be the best paid player in this league.
Looking forward to the next lockout. And this time i hope the reasonable GMs wont let the crazys ones of the hook with buyouts. :popcorn: :D

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I predict for today:

- Dzingel
- Donskoi

And we hopefully stay away from one of these suicide-contracts which get handed out today.

Panarin wont come to Denver. Think it´s safe to say he will end on Long Island. As much as it would be amazing to have a line fo Panarin-Mac-Rants, not with this price-tag. Panarin is a great player, but he is not worth to be the best paid player in this league.
Looking forward to the next lockout. And this time i hope the reasonable GMs wont let the crazys ones of the hook with buyouts. :popcorn: :D

This. I like Bread man but a 12 million+ contract is just asking for cap issues down the road. We're better off getting a couple lesser UFAs and filling out the roster

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
The Islanders have about 20 Mill in cap space. Signing both Panarin and Varlamov will eat that up.

Beauvillier and Dal Colle pending RFA.

Barzal´s ELC ends after this season. And as the new face of the Islanders beside Panarin he will ask for at least 10+. Wonder how Lou will fit that under the cap. :dunno:

And the other team from new york? 18 Mill, Trouba, Lemieux and Buchnevich still unsigned. Even with adding Panarin, this Rangers-team is still in a rebuild.

Either way, some GM will get into cap-trouble pretty fast. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeC

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
The Islanders have about 20 Mill in cap space. Signing both Panarin and Varlamov will eat that up.

Beauvillier and Dal Colle pending RFA.

Barzal´s ELC ends after this season. And as the new face of the Islanders beside Panarin he will ask for at least 10+. Wonder how Lou will fit that under the cap. :dunno:

And the other team from new york? 18 Mill, Trouba, Lemieux and Buchnevich still unsigned. Even with adding Panarin, this Rangers-team is still in a rebuild.

Either way, some GM will get into cap-trouble pretty fast. :D

To me it feels like half the league is already in cap-trouble. And the other half will follow soon if these 10+Mil contracts are the norm now. Cap will rise for sure but it looks like not to the extent most GMs expected. Maybe Seattle can change that. We'll see.

Heck, the Avs have almost 40M atm but it could get close as soon as 2 years from now with all the extensions coming up. Fun times to be a GM for sure.

Forceberg

Mar 9, 2012
That isn't as bad as if we were handing out 7 year contracts for depth piece, like Toronto did Zaitsev, but it's still worse than committing your cap-dollars to elite talent.

I wouldnt give him more than 4 years. When Macks contract is up, the contract situation will be different for the team.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
That isn't as bad as if we were handing out 7 year contracts for depth piece, like Toronto did Zaitsev, but it's still worse than committing your cap-dollars to elite talent.
I think this is always up for discussion. Is it better to put all your eggs in one basket and hope it works or do you spread out the recourses to provide your team with some decent depth?

Blues/Bruins/Canes/Sharks - none of those teams had a 10+M player. That's something to think about.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I still think Sakic has a trade lined up that, is flying under the radar. Something that has to wait until bonus were paid on July 1.

Still think Barrie is out. It's one of those if there is smoke there is fire things. Lots of rumors flying about Barrie. My guess is Toronto. Straight up for Nylander we might take a cap dump as well. They still need space for Marner. Freeing up Nylander's salary goes a long way. Plus he is their problem child. Contract disputes almost always end with a player traded.

I would have said it would be Kadri, but they seem to covet him as their 3C.
After the Panarin news, I think there might be more too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad